Off Topic Messages

Man of Steel - I'm getting pretty psyched about this movie

Fri May 31, 2013 7:04 pm

This is not your father's Superman!
http://manofsteel.warnerbros.com/index.html?video

phpBB [video]

Last edited by JamesVRoy on Fri May 31, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Man of Steel - I getting pretty psyched about this movie

Fri May 31, 2013 7:07 pm

I cannot understand why the producers passed on rehiring Dean Cain.

Fri May 31, 2013 7:11 pm

I wouldn't have minded more Teri Hatcher

Fri May 31, 2013 7:13 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:I wouldn't have minded more Teri Hatcher

phpBB [video]

Re: Man of Steel - I'm getting pretty psyched about this mov

Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:20 pm

I went to see the movie last night at a midnight showing. I saw the ad for it on FB yesterday and thought, why not. I even paid the $17.25 to see it in IMAX 3D. Have to say I thought the movie was fantastic.
The theater had it on 4 screens and the IMAX one was a little over half full with almost 200 people. I think just about everyone there except myself was wearing some type of Superman swag, t-shirt or hat. Saw one guy with a cape even. Strange geeky, but fun crowd. One guy walked in with a Batman shirt, I thought they'd make him sit next to me.
I'll likely see it again real soon, though either regular 2D or 3D.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:23 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
JamesVRoy wrote:I wouldn't have minded more Teri Hatcher

phpBB [video]

No, they're not... :wink:

Love Teri Hatcher though. What a gorgeous woman. I remember seeing her for the first time as Penny Parker in "MacGyver". And after that in "Tango & Cash".
I was a little disappointed when I saw "hers" in "Mississippi Delta". But that's all a matter of taste, I guess :)

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:32 pm

JamesVRoy wrote:I went to see the movie last night at a midnight showing. I saw the ad for it on FB yesterday and thought, why not. I even paid the $17.25 to see it in IMAX 3D. Have to say I thought the movie was fantastic.
The theater had it on 4 screens and the IMAX one was a little over half full with almost 200 people. I think just about everyone there except myself was wearing some type of Superman swag, t-shirt or hat. Saw one guy with a cape even. Strange geeky, but fun crowd. One guy walked in with a Batman shirt, I thought they'd make him sit next to me.
I'll likely see it again real soon, though either regular 2D or 3D.

I saw it last night at the midnight showing as well.

And I agree. I thought it was fantastic. The visuals are stunning. I will likely be seeing it again real soon.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 9:47 pm

Hank Cavill is no Christopher Reeve, but I'm sure the ladies dig him for his rugged good looks.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 10:30 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Hank Cavill is no Christopher Reeve, but I'm sure the ladies dig him for his rugged good looks.

Agreed! I miss Christopher Reeve as Superman.

Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:56 pm

I don't know why so many people are psyched for this film.

The original Christopher Reeve Superman movie was just okay and the 2006 film with Brandon Routh sucked.

In my opinion Hollywood has yet to make a great movie about Superman.

This could be a great film but based on Hollywood's previous efforts you'd think people would be more lukewarm about another Superman movie.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:40 am

brian wrote:I don't know why so many people are psyched for this film.

The original Christopher Reeve Superman movie was just okay and the 2006 film with Brandon Routh sucked.

This could be a great film but based on Hollywood's previous efforts you'd think people would be more lukewarm about another Superman movie.

If you bothered to read up about this film you would realise that this is not just 'another Superman movie'.

How can you have an opinion on this film when you obviously haven't seen it?

From the trailers it looks great and for a film that could quite easily get slammed by the critics cause of previous Superman films, its have great reviews.

Im certainly looking forward to seeing this, especially as its in 3D.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:57 am

Bodie wrote:

If you bothered to read up about this film you would realise that this is not just 'another Superman movie'.

From the trailers it looks great and for a film that could quite easily get slammed by the critics cause of previous Superman films, its have great reviews.

If you read my post more carefully you'll realize that i was offering no opinion on the film.

I have been reading and hearing about the buzz on this film for the past few months but that's not the point.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:04 am

brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:

If you read my post more carefully you'll realize that i was offering no opinion on the film.

I have been reading and hearing about the buzz on this film for the past few months but that's not the point.

Yes you did.

Read your post more carefully, especially the bits i have highlighted.

Even though haven't seen this film, your saying that Hollywood have yet to make a great movie about Superman. :facep:

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:22 am

I walked into the theater wanting to watch a Superman movie but walked out just finished watching a Transformers movie.

It was a cold, soulless movie that gets by for its excessive special effects which reach nauseating levels by the film's end. Hopefully they get it right on the next reboot.

Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:54 am

Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:

Yes you did.

Even though haven't seen this film, your saying that Hollywood have yet to make a great movie about Superman. :facep:

No i wasn't.

I was talking about the big buzz surrounding the film and the fact that i was surprised by the amount of interest in it because all the preceding Superman movie hadn't been great.

The buzz about this film has been going on for several months before the film was released and before anyone had even seen it.

:roll: :roll:

Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:37 pm

brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:
brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:

Yes you did.

No i wasn't.

I was talking about the big buzz surrounding the film and the fact that i was surprised by the amount of interest in it because all the preceding Superman movie hadn't been great.

The buzz about this film has been going on for several months before the film was released and before anyone had even seen it.

:roll: :roll:

As i explained before, 'Man Of Steel' is not just 'another Superman movie'. :roll:

It's been totally updated, re-named and re-worked compared to previous Superman movies, even the Superman costume is different. It's very much like the Batman films starring Christian Bale how they made them compared to previous ones.

As for the Christopher Reeve films, i thought the first two were great for the period but the other sequels starring Reeve were not great and seemed to be cashing in on the success of the previous two.

The other Superman film (the one that starred Kevin Spacey) was ok but forgettable and they tried to repeat the Christopher Reeve films as far as the leading actor was concerned and to me, didn't work.

But this film seems to be very enjoyable viewing and im looking forward to it.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:10 am

Bodie wrote:

But you have an opinion on it, and you've only seen the trailer. You yourself say it seems "enjoyable viewing".

Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

But you have an opinion on it, and you've only seen the trailer. You yourself say it seems "enjoyable viewing".

From the trailer's i have seen and from the reviews i have read it seems an enjoyable film.

What's that got to do with you i don't know.

I thought i was having a discussion with Brian.

Why don't you mind your own business and if you want to comment on this topic then put up something about the film and not my posts.
Obviously looking for a fight like you normally do.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:03 am

Bodie wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:

From the trailer's i have seen and from the reviews i have read it seems an enjoyable film.

What's that got to do with you i don't know.

I thought i was having a discussion with Brian.

Why don't you mind your own business and if you want to comment on this topic then put up something about the film and not my posts.
Obviously looking for a fight like you normally do.

Got out of bed the wrong side today? Or just missing Doyle?

As for the film, well, the jury's out and will be until those who don't give a toss one way or the other about Superman go and see it. One perusal of the imdb comments shows that the excessively high rating of 8.3 is due to the fact that Superman/marvel comic fans have gone to the cinema and liked what they have seen with "Superman getting the movie he deserves" as one fan puts it (presumably forgetting that the character is fictional). Whether a two and a half hour epic that looks, from the trailer (and according to critics), more brawn than brain will appeal to the average cinema-goer is something which will not be clear just yet. The reported big box office would be from fans alone on the first weekend. Yes, the rest of the regular cinema-goers will see it in the weeks to come, but whether a hefty, dark outing such as this will appeal to those that like the somewhat lighter superhero outings such as the Avengers movies is another thing altogether.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 1:47 pm

I liked it, I looked forward to it as I really liked some of the directors previous work, Watchmen and 300, though he also had some missteps too, but I was hopeful. It was a thoroughly enjoyable piece of entertainment. I you are an action fan then this will do it for you, my only critique being by the end there was perhaps too much of it. An awful lot was cramped into the running time of the film. Particulary towards the end. That said, it's the best Superman film I've seen, though I'm not a fan of them. A much greater role for Russell Crowe than I was expecting which was a welcome surprise. Some great actors involved that always elevate anything they are in, Kevin Costner etc, but ultimately its a film built on its visuals which are never less than stunning. Happy to say that it has ditched the camp and quirky comedy. Well worth the ticket price imo, and I may go again.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 4:16 pm

Eddie wrote:I liked it, I looked forward to it as I really liked some of the directors previous work, Watchmen and 300, though he also had some missteps too, but I was hopeful. It was a thoroughly enjoyable piece of entertainment. I you are an action fan then this will do it for you, my only critique being by the end there was perhaps too much of it. An awful lot was cramped into the running time of the film. Particulary towards the end. That said, it's the best Superman film I've seen, though I'm not a fan of them. A much greater role for Russell Crowe than I was expecting which was a welcome surprise. Some great actors involved that always elevate anything they are in, Kevin Costner etc, but ultimately its a film built on its visuals which are never less than stunning. Happy to say that it has ditched the camp and quirky comedy. Well worth the ticket price imo, and I may go again.

Thanks for the review Eddie. :D

I'll be seeing it soon, possibly in 3D.

Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Thanks Bodie, I opted for 2D, I went to see The Hobbit in 3D and found the whole thing distracting, would be interested in your view of the 3D screening. perhaps I'll give it a try.

Mon Jun 17, 2013 10:41 am

I saw it over the weekend,very enjoyable film

Mon Jun 17, 2013 3:39 pm

I love Amy Adams and I love Superman (ever since the 50's TV series) so I will see it. But I am not a big fan of over done special effects so I may be a bit disappointed from what I have read about it here and on some critics reviews. its seems this film just goes overboard with them.

Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:53 am

JamesVRoy wrote:Saw one guy with a cape even.

Was he wearing a jumpsuit as well?

Btw, there is only Superman: George Reeves.