burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Forum rules

Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Blu-ray Copying Software

Mon Apr 08, 2013 12:36 pm

I've been testing several different Blu-ray copying software's in the last couple weeks, including a pre-release beta 1click from Softpedia. I have a few more 50gig to 25gig BD-R's compression tests left to do with a few different discs to check the authoring structures and compression times before I post the reviews of which I feel is best.
All decrypting is being done with Slysoft Anydvd HD version/ Dvdfab.
Blu-ray copiers used so far are:
Leawo Blu-ray Copy
Alseesoft Blu-ray Copy
Blue-Cloner 4
Dvdfab Blu-ray Copy
1click Blu-ray Copy

Updates Soon.

Re: Blu-ray Copying Software

Wed Apr 10, 2013 3:07 pm

Right now I can rip a double layer DVD to my hard drive and then shrink it to fit onto a single layer DVD. There is very little noticeable loss of quality. So my question is, if I was to borrow a laptop with a Bluray drive and I ripped a BD to the hard drive, would it be possible to shrink that file and put it onto a single layer DVD? If so, what would the quality be like?

Wed Apr 10, 2013 4:25 pm

The Pirate wrote:Right now I can rip a double layer DVD to my hard drive and then shrink it to fit onto a single layer DVD. There is very little noticeable loss of quality. So my question is, if I was to borrow a laptop with a Bluray drive and I ripped a BD to the hard drive, would it be possible to shrink that file and put it onto a single layer DVD? If so, what would the quality be like?

I guess blu-ray and DVD are different systems, so you'd have to convert blu-ray files to DVD-files.
If not, next problem is that DVD has 8,5 GB maximum (if double-layer) while blu-ray files are much larger i.e. up to 25GB or if multiple-layer up to 1TB so if you'd shrink these there would be more loss of quality than when shrinking a DVD-DL from 8,5GB to 4,3GB (to fit on a single-layer DVD).
Just my opinion.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 11:36 am

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
The Pirate wrote:Right now I can rip a double layer DVD to my hard drive and then shrink it to fit onto a single layer DVD. There is very little noticeable loss of quality. So my question is, if I was to borrow a laptop with a Bluray drive and I ripped a BD to the hard drive, would it be possible to shrink that file and put it onto a single layer DVD? If so, what would the quality be like?

I guess blu-ray and DVD are different systems, so you'd have to convert blu-ray files to DVD-files.
If not, next problem is that DVD has 8,5 GB maximum (if double-layer) while blu-ray files are much larger i.e. up to 25GB or if multiple-layer up to 1TB so if you'd shrink these there would be more loss of quality than when shrinking a DVD-DL from 8,5GB to 4,3GB (to fit on a single-layer DVD).
Just my opinion.

Now that you mention it, I can see that the different file types might well be an issue (although no doubt it could be got round). It's the image quality that I'm not so sure about. If a Bluray is just a higher quality picture, then wouldn't shrinking it just bring it back down to DVD quality?

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:33 pm

First off you would have to rip the Blu ray to an uncompressed HD file such as an mkv and then convert it to DVD with a program such as ConvertXtodvd which will be the DVD standard vob file format after conversion, and will look no better than a standard DVD 5, or DL DVD 9 disc (such as a store bought DVD movie) hence DVD is not HD.
Copying the same movie from DVD to DVD will give the same result as a ripped Blu ray to DVD and save a ton of time since the Blu ray video will only be converted and compressed to DVD standard as the end result.

Blu ray and DVD have totally different formats and authoring methods meaning that Blu ray is not just a larger version of a DVD, but a totally different format and construction.

DVD's use a Video TS and Audio TS format that contain VOB (Video Object Files) as it's video format.

Blu ray uses a BDMV, an AuxData, BDJO, Jar, META, PLAYLIST, and a STREAM folder that contains a video M2TS format.

If you take a DVD and convert it to VHS it will still look like a VHS, as Blu ray to DVD will still look just like a DVD.

The very best looking retail DVD's that you can buy don't come close to Blu ray quality, and these are professionally mastered, so thinking ripping a Blu ray to DVD will give you some kind of special HD looking DVD is wishful thinking, and a waste of time.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 1:45 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:

Just my opinion.

It doesn't matter how big or small the file DVD can not play the resolution of Blu ray, if you had a 4 gig HD Blu ray file it is still going to re-encode all the HD elements of the video to DVD standard and lose excessive quality regardless.

Thu Apr 11, 2013 2:56 pm

promiseland wrote:

First off you would have to rip the Blu ray to an uncompressed HD file such as an mkv and then convert it to DVD with a program such as ConvertXtodvd which will be the DVD standard vob file format after conversion, and will look no better than a standard DVD 5, or DL DVD 9 disc (such as a store bought DVD movie) hence DVD is not HD.
Copying the same movie from DVD to DVD will give the same result as a ripped Blu ray to DVD and save a ton of time since the Blu ray video will only be converted and compressed to DVD standard as the end result.

Blu ray and DVD have totally different formats and authoring methods meaning that Blu ray is not just a larger version of a DVD, but a totally different format and construction.

DVD's use a Video TS and Audio TS format that contain VOB (Video Object Files) as it's video format.

Blu ray uses a BDMV, an AuxData, BDJO, Jar, META, PLAYLIST, and a STREAM folder that contains a video M2TS format.

If you take a DVD and convert it to VHS it will still look like a VHS, as Blu ray to DVD will still look just like a DVD.

The very best looking retail DVD's that you can buy don't come close to Blu ray quality, and these are professionally mastered, so thinking ripping a Blu ray to DVD will give you some kind of special HD looking DVD is wishful thinking, and a waste of time.

Thanks for all that. I already realise that the resulting DVD would not be Bluray quality, it was purely to do with whether or not it could (a) be done in the first place, and (b) whether it would at least be DVD quality and not look so bad that it wasn't worth watching. Reason I ask is that I have some Bluray discs which I might like to watch in places where there is no Bluray machine but where there is a DVD player - on holiday for example, or in a bedroom - and I don't want to have to pay out for a second disc when I've already bought it once.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:51 am

Pirate

You'd be better off getting one of these babies;-

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

I've had these for the last 5 plus years (Generation 1 model, then on to generation 2 & now loving generation 3).

What I do is rip the blu-ray file located in the Stream folder (as Promiseland said this is a M2TS file) to my Hard drive, then I have one of 2 options, either I copy this M2TS file to a portable Hard drive & plug it straight into the Western Digital TV Live Media Player and play it as it is, or I convert the M2TS file to an MKV file then transfer this to the portable Hard Drive & plug it into the Western Digital TV Live Media Player and play it.

What are the benefits of this over your proposal to rip the blu-ray to Hard drive, convert it then burn it to DVD ?

1. The time is a lot shorter to achieve blu-ray rip then place on portable hard drive & plug into Media player. This method is shorter than your blu-ray rip/convert/encode to DVD/burn to DVD method.....I know because I've made the mistake of doing it in the past!

2. You don't lose the picture quality (as also detailed by Promiseland) as the Media player outputs at 1080p (this is able to be adjusted via the Media players menu if you are connecting to a lower resolution TV if needed).

3. The Western Digital TV Live Media Player not only does video files but can also display your photos as a slide show, you can also use it to play your audio files (WAV, mp3, flac, etc).....I have an external drive with ALL 7,349 WAV files on it that I hook up & play in random mode (the 7,349 WAV files comprise ALL RELEASED to date Studio takes, Movie takes, Multi-track tracks, Soundboard tracks & rehearsal tracks....I will not be doing audience recordings)

4. The Media play is very small & along with it's remote & a portable hard drive the footprint of this is a lot smaller & more portable than a DVD player not to mention it's versatility. I have 2 blu-ray players in the house along with 3 DVD players now stored away in cupboards that I now longer use as the Media player does more & does it better.

Fri Apr 12, 2013 1:18 pm

Ray wrote:Pirate

You'd be better off getting one of these babies;-

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330

Looks interesting, thanks, but maybe a bit of overkill for what I want to achieve. I already have an HD TV Recorder (but it's only good for the room and TV that's it connected to), I don't want to have to buy another.

Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:10 am

No problems Pirate. I have a HD Recorder also (Panasonic), but hardly ever use it now, the WD Media Player is not a recorder & is a completely different product, it replaces your need for blank DVD's or blank Blu-rays, all Video or audio files go onto an external Hard Drive or thumb drive and you're watching your movie/TV show or listening to your music. The unit is easily portable, certainly easier than lugging a HD Recorder/DVD from one room to another, I have one in the lounge room connected via Ethernet cable to my Modem/router & I have another in the bedroom connected by another Ethernet cable to the same Modem/router....since I've had this set-up I've never looked back.....blank DVD's/Blu-ray's never bought/used any for over 2 years.

PS: I have no connections to WD or their media player, I just know what is cheaper/easier to use. My previous units (Generation 1 & generation 2 units) I've passed onto my step-son & friends, they are stunned by how good they are, my step-son always takes his unit with him to hook it up at a friends house when they have a movie night. I consider the device a natural evolution, first there was VHS Recorders/players, then DVD players, then DVD recorders, then blu-ray players, then blu-ray recorders......I then believe Media players are the next progression as it allows the user to view/hear their files without having to use multiple disc types & burning to discs to play elsewhere. I'll never go back to the old days of sticking a disc into a player...waiting ...waiting then seeing copyright messages...waiting waiting waiting to view a movie you legitimately own, with the media player you're right into the movie whether they be M2TS files, MKV files, mp4, Divx, AVi, flv, DVD files (Video_TS or VOB files), hell the DVD Video_TS files even allow you to access the menu as if you are using the actual DVD disc...without the long delays.

Mon Jun 10, 2013 4:13 pm

Anyone knows if it's possible to burn M2TS straight to BD, and them watch it on a normal standalone player?

Mon Jun 10, 2013 9:05 pm

Ron wrote:Anyone knows if it's possible to burn M2TS straight to BD, and them watch it on a normal standalone player?

What do you mean by straight to BD? Do you mean bypassing the stream folders without authoring the M2TS file or dropping it into ?
All Blu ray formats have a Directory and file structure that is unique to each M2TS, and are stored under a “BDMV” directory that must contain the Database files for Movie PlayLists to match the M2TS which are multiplexed based on the MPEG transport stream.

So drag and drop is not an option without authoring first.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:09 am

Hi, the files I want to burn are .TS, to my knowlegde it's the same as M2TS. The file is like is like 15 GB and over four hours of footage.
I normally burn MKV files on DVD and watch them on a standalone blu-ray player, that's connected to my TV.

In this case I want to burn the .TS files on to a BD, and watch it the same way.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:35 am

Hi Ron

Without sounding like a "broken record" (remember them), this product (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330) plays M2TS files just as they are without recoding, I rip the file to my hard drive (or external drive or thumb drive) and play it direct. Again I have not affiliation to Western Digital I just know a great product been using the various generation (currently generation 3) for about 5 years now.

Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:38 am

Ron wrote:Hi, the files I want to burn are .TS, to my knowlegde it's the same as M2TS. The file is like is like 15 GB and over four hours of footage.
I normally burn MKV files on DVD and watch them on a standalone blu-ray player, that's connected to my TV.

In this case I want to burn the .TS files on to a BD, and watch it the same way.

You can burn them to BD-R but you must first use a Blu ray creator software, and the best I have tested so far is DVDFab Blu-Ray Creator . It supports just about every format that is being used today and is well worth the $40 price tag as it updates as needed.

Read It Here: http://www.dvdfab.com/blu-ray-creator.htm?ver=9