Off Topic Messages

Best films of 2013 so far?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:03 am

I haven't had the chance to see any films from this year so what would you all say has been the best films released in 2013 so far?

Re: Best films of 2013 so far?

Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:23 am

Lincoln 2012.JPG

Lincoln (2012 film)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lincoln_(2012_film)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:29 am

Amour Movie Poster.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 10:39 am

(2012, I know, but I didn't see it until this year.)

Les Misérables.

Incredible movie. (In fact, I went back to see it a second time and will definitely be picking up the DVD.)

N8

Sat Sep 07, 2013 2:23 am

A bit low brow compared to the others above but I was surprised how much I enjoyed the Tom Cruise film Oblivion, also recently watched We're the Millers and haven't laughed out loud so much since Step Brothers.

Sat Sep 07, 2013 8:14 am

This is a must see...

SugarmanLarge.jpg

Sat Sep 07, 2013 7:11 pm

I have seen Sugar man.

Sun Sep 08, 2013 6:26 am

Grown Ups 2!! :wink:

::rocks

Sun Sep 08, 2013 7:13 am

image.jpg

rjm

Sun Sep 08, 2013 8:45 am

I watched the Brad Pitt 'zombie' flick World War Z last night and after the indifferent reviews I had read was pleasantly surprised. I really enjoyed it. Not the 'gore fest' of others in the genre but it didn't need it. Criticism I'd read was its lack of action and too much dialogue, don't know what film the reviewers seen but this film just grabbed me from the word go and never let go until the end credits.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 12:01 am

My vote :

Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:22 am

Of those listed so far, Lincoln, Amour. Les Miserables and Django Unchained were all 2012 films - which only goes to show what a rotten year for film 2013 has been so far, with absolutely no real standout so far. 2012 had all of the above, plus other slow-burners such as the wonderful Perks of Being a Wallflower - the fact that neither the film, writer or Logan Lerman in the lead role got an Oscar nomination is a travesty). Last year also brought us the brilliant Chronicle, the rather odd but worth a look The Paperboy, and the wonderful horror film Sinister. Plus Red Dawn, but let's forget about that.

It's like Hollywood exhausted itself last year, and 2013 is like a long list of leftovers. Gangster Squad, released in January, was hugely entertaining but really quite formulaic - nothing we haven't seen a hundred times before, just slicker. Dark Skies was also a hugely entertaining little film in a very different genre, but really and truly still unremarkable - it did what it was meant to do, and did it very well, but that was it. The much anticipated new film from Pedro Almodovar was a deep disappointment and his worst film in a very long time. Trance was decent but nothing special. The Host, hyped to be the next big teen franchise, was an awful, awful film that made Trouble With Girls look like a cohesive narrative. Also in the teen market, the new Percy Jackson film was better than the first effort, but still looks like a cheap rip-off of Harry Potter .

There have been entertaining films this year, but really nothing remarkable - not out of Hollywood, at least. The rest of the year doesn't appear to be shaping much better with a couple of notable exceptions. The Wolf of Wall Street from Scorsese and Don Jon from the ever-improving Joseph Gordon-Levitt look promising, as does Tom at the Farm, the new film from Canadian filmmaker Xavier Dolan, who has yet to make a bad movie. But, at this rate, the One Direction film will be winning an Oscar next year.

Mon Sep 09, 2013 1:42 pm

I liked "Evil Dead" and "Elysium". No stand-out films though. I think I walked out of the sneak preview at least ten times this year.

One that really stood out for me was "Jagten", starring Mads Mikkelsen. Really disturbing movie. But I think that was from 2012 too.