Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

i'd like to ask you if you have ever felt 'betrayed' by elvis, for his support to Nixon ?

no
54%
yes
7%
other opinion
8%
i never cared
31%

Total votes : 71

Re: have you ever felt betrayed by elvis, for supporting Nix

Fri Nov 23, 2012 11:28 am

Tornado wrote:When you deal with a manager like Colonel Parker so many years,, it is no surprise you can't see how a crook was Nixon in politics. It's a dark side of Elvis's personna. He mocked all the time "message songs" playing safe with sentimental and rythmic material that wouldn't raise any social issues. I tought he had made some kind of a statement with If I Can Dream and In The Ghetto, but that only lasted over night: Vegas became "business as usual". Sorry guys, but as much as I love Elvis, I can't but think that he missed some dramatic issues in the society and the world of his days. Still I collect FTD Classic like a madman. I can make the difference between the artist and the citizen. The problem with Elvis's celebrity and blind adulation is that he was forgiven a lot of things, nobody else would have gotten away with. We know today that some very rich and famous singers and artists use the fiscal paradised to escape their citizenship responsibility. It's not always a "Wonderful World". Fortunately Elvis never did that and he gave around tons of gifts to friends and money to charitable organizations. Colonel Parker never let him sing at the White House for JFK and Elvis never disputed that but he took on himself to meet President Nixon: what was it for incidentally? Just bravado?

Lots of artists are apolitical. Dolly Parton is an example. There's nothing dark about it.

In terms of Elvis playing it safe by avoiding message songs, although he did do a handful, the thing is that most message songs are bad and date quickly. It's something very hard to do. It wasn't in Elvis' wheel house and he deserves credit for trying it with some success. But overall, I can understand why an artist would avoid those type songs besides alienating a certain part of the base.

Richard Nixon, by the way, was far from the worst president of the United States. (In answer to another post.) He may have been the most corrupt and self-serving but this is the guy after all who opened negotiations with Red China and the Soviets (one of the hugest booms to humanity in the 20th century), who oversaw the creation of the EPA, lowered the voting age to 18 so the potential soldiers in Viet Nam could have a say in the people sending them on their missions. It's a tremendous contradiction but f you leave that crook part out, he was pretty good.

As others have pointed out most of the truly vile things Nixon did in office were not well known until after he left office.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:50 pm

likethebike wrote:Richard Nixon, by the way, was far from the worst president of the United States.

Correct. That honor belongs to George W. Bush, whose worst transgressions while President will likely not become common knowledge until long after we are dead.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:54 am

il a eu raison il a pu prouver que rien ne lui resistait ...meme pas le President des Etats Unis....c;est pour dire!!!!

GUZZI

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
likethebike wrote:Richard Nixon, by the way, was far from the worst president of the United States.

Correct. That honor belongs to George W. Bush, whose worst transgressions while President will likely not become common knowledge until long after we are dead.

Absouletly right.
W oversaw the worst erosion of civil liberties(in the name of combating "terroism") the USA has ever seen.
Hopefully,Obama(who unfortunately has continued many of these policies)will undue these unfortunate policies in his second term.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 1:47 am

jbnva58 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Absouletly right.
W oversaw the worst erosion of civil liberties(in the name of combating "terroism") the USA has ever seen ...

Sadly, the very public failures of the 2001-2009 Bush administration are far from the worst examples of what was done during his administration. Stay healthy, try to live a long life, and just before you leave this world perhaps you'll officially learn of the truly evil and despicable decisions these scoundrels made. But you won't learn a thing until every one of them is no longer around to be prosecuted.

Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:09 pm

He just wanted that badge!

Mon Jun 03, 2013 10:02 am

No

Mon Jun 03, 2013 1:09 pm

likethebike wrote:
Tornado wrote:When you deal with a manager like Colonel Parker so many years,, it is no surprise you can't see how a crook was Nixon in politics. It's a dark side of Elvis's personna. He mocked all the time "message songs" playing safe with sentimental and rythmic material that wouldn't raise any social issues. I tought he had made some kind of a statement with If I Can Dream and In The Ghetto, but that only lasted over night: Vegas became "business as usual". Sorry guys, but as much as I love Elvis, I can't but think that he missed some dramatic issues in the society and the world of his days. Still I collect FTD Classic like a madman. I can make the difference between the artist and the citizen. The problem with Elvis's celebrity and blind adulation is that he was forgiven a lot of things, nobody else would have gotten away with. We know today that some very rich and famous singers and artists use the fiscal paradised to escape their citizenship responsibility. It's not always a "Wonderful World". Fortunately Elvis never did that and he gave around tons of gifts to friends and money to charitable organizations. Colonel Parker never let him sing at the White House for JFK and Elvis never disputed that but he took on himself to meet President Nixon: what was it for incidentally? Just bravado?

Lots of artists are apolitical. Dolly Parton is an example. There's nothing dark about it.

In terms of Elvis playing it safe by avoiding message songs, although he did do a handful, the thing is that most message songs are bad and date quickly. It's something very hard to do. It wasn't in Elvis' wheel house and he deserves credit for trying it with some success. But overall, I can understand why an artist would avoid those type songs besides alienating a certain part of the base.

Richard Nixon, by the way, was far from the worst president of the United States. (In answer to another post.) He may have been the most corrupt and self-serving but this is the guy after all who opened negotiations with Red China and the Soviets (one of the hugest booms to humanity in the 20th century), who oversaw the creation of the EPA, lowered the voting age to 18 so the potential soldiers in Viet Nam could have a say in the people sending them on their missions. It's a tremendous contradiction but f you leave that crook part out, he was pretty good.

As others have pointed out most of the truly vile things Nixon did in office were not well known until after he left office.

And I'm just gonna go cry myself to sleep right now, because I can't thank him for this spot-on post. Don't think I saw it before.

Good night.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Mon Jun 03, 2013 4:25 pm

Nope, I would take another Nixon over Obama any day.

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:03 pm

tcb4 wrote:hi

i'd like to ask you if you have ever felt 'betrayed' by elvis, for supporting Nixon ?

I am a fan of Elvis because of his music. The rest i don't care as should others also do (religion etc)

Mon Jun 03, 2013 5:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:How do we know Elvis didn't vote at all? He never voted?

You have to register in order to vote in a general election. Is no record of Elvis Presley ever registering, or of anyone recalling him making it out to the polls.

However, Elvis did vote for George Klein as Humes High Class President in the fall of 1952.

It is somewhat ironic that Elvis is called a great American and patriot. The right to vote is one of the greatest privileges afforded in a free society and Elvis never did exercise that right. People , no matter who they are should register and vote. Ones who do not I would not call a great patriot for his country. That's just laziness. You can always write in your vote & mail it.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:24 am

skatterbrane wrote:Nope, I would take another Nixon over Obama any day.

One Nixon was enough, thank you.

Tue Jun 04, 2013 9:58 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Nope, I would take another Nixon over Obama any day.

One Nixon was enough, thank you.

You kind of like to pick and choose your evil
don't you? The proof of that is trying to find
just one negative post from you concerning
the current occupant of the White House and
his group of ______ (insert your own word).

Feel free to twist and turn things around as
you always do. But I have to laugh because
somewhere down inside, I know that you know
they are continuing on with most of the Bush
Policies. PBS' Frontline had a most interesting
take on that.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 1:58 am

r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

You have to register in order to vote in a general election. Is no record of Elvis Presley ever registering, or of anyone recalling him making it out to the polls.

However, Elvis did vote for George Klein as Humes High Class President in the fall of 1952.

It is somewhat ironic that Elvis is called a great American and patriot. The right to vote is one of the greatest privileges afforded in a free society and Elvis never did exercise that right. People , no matter who they are should register and vote. Ones who do not I would not call a great patriot for his country. That's just laziness. You can always write in your vote & mail it.

That's no way to talk about a Federal Agent At-Large.

Wed Jun 05, 2013 2:00 am

elvisjock wrote:
r&b wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

That's no way to talk about a Federal Agent At-Large.

And a highly decorated black belt.