Dig deep into 70`s Elvis: the concerts, jumpsuits and all available live tapes.

Question to Rapid City, June 21, 1977

Wed May 29, 2013 8:55 pm

Which releases do I need to have the intros complete from start to finish.?..

What is the most complete source for this concert..?
Which sources do I need to have the show complete..?
Which cominations make it complete..?

...I am a bit confused.
Last edited by Ciscoking on Wed May 29, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Question to Rapid City, June 26, 1977

Wed May 29, 2013 9:15 pm

I'm confused about the city and date you reference. Aren't you referencing Rapid City and Indianapolis?

Re: Question to Rapid City, June 21, 1977

Wed May 29, 2013 9:21 pm

Sorry, sorry..I amended it..thank you.. :wink:

Wed May 29, 2013 10:35 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Which releases do I need to have the intros complete from start to finish.?..

What is the most complete source for this concert..?
Which sources do I need to have the show complete..?
Which cominations make it complete..?

...I am a bit confused.

ELVIS PRESLEY: Tuesday, June 21, 1977, Rapid City, SD
Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra - LP
C. C. Rider - LP + TV
I Got A Woman / Amen - LP
That's All Right - LP + TV
Are You Lonesome To-night? - LP + TV (partial), TIE, TIE LP
Love Me - LP
If You Love Me (Let Me Know) - LP
You Gave Me A Mountain - LP + TV
Jailhouse Rock - LP + TV
O Sole Mio (Sherrill Nielsen) / It's Now Or Never - LP
Tryin' To Get To You - LP, EAP
Hawaiian Wedding Song - LP
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
My Way - LP + TV, EAP, TIE, TIE LP, TIE VHS
Introduction of singers, musicians
Early Morning Rain (John Wilkinson) - LP
What'd I Say (James Burton) - LP
Johnny B. Goode (James Burton) - LP
TCB Band Theme (Ronnie Tutt)
Bass Solo (Jerry Scheff)
Two Mile Pike (Tony Brown)
I Really Don't Want To Know - LP + TV
Electric Organ Solo (Bobby Ogdin)
The Fly (Joe Guercio Orchestra)
Introduction of father, girlfriend - LP (partial) + TV
Hurt - LP + TV
Hound Dog - LP + TV
Unchained Melody - EAP
Can't Help Falling In Love / Closing vamp

KEY:
- Elvis In Concert LP and Elvis In Concert TV in 1977
- Elvis Aron Presley (EAP) box set in 1980
- "This Is Elvis" film (TIE) and "This Is Elvis" LP (TIE LP) in 1981
- "This Is Elvis" expanded video cassette (TIE VHS) in 1984

'

Wed May 29, 2013 10:37 pm

What about the EIC footage from "The Great Performances" ?

Wed May 29, 2013 10:47 pm

Thanks , John...great info..and what about the footage of "The Final Curtain"..DVD 4 ?

Wed May 29, 2013 10:49 pm

Ciscoking wrote:Thanks , John...great info..and what about the footage of "The Final Curtain"..DVD 4 ?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :smt003 :smt003

Wed May 29, 2013 11:10 pm

If you are asking about the intro's, the truth is they don't seem to be available anywhere. On The Final Curtain, they cobbled it together by putting what we do have in there, then editing in footage from Omaha and synching audio we have from Rapid City, in cases like Johnny B. Goode or Early Morning Rain. The intro's on this footage included actual footage of Elvis introducing the bandmember, but editing that person's solo.

Wed May 29, 2013 11:33 pm

Dont understand ...which footage of the intros do we have on
DVD 4 of TFC.. and what is edited/faked ?

Wed May 29, 2013 11:47 pm

We have footage of him introducing John Wilkinson, but not the solo. Final Curtain edited in Omaha video of Early Morning and synched it with audio from the EIC album, which is June 21. We also do not have video of the solos for What'd I Say nor Johnny B. Goode. More clever editing. I can't remember if Ron Tutt's drum solo was included, but if it was, it is from Omaha.

Wed May 29, 2013 11:48 pm

stevelecher wrote:We have footage of him introducing John Wilkinson, but not the solo. Final Curtain edited in Omaha video of Early Morning and synched it with audio from the EIC album, which is June 21. We also do not have video of the solos for What'd I Say nor Johnny B. Goode. More clever editing. I can't remember if Ron Tutt's drum solo was included, but if it was, it is from Omaha.

Yup.

Thu May 30, 2013 12:10 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:We have footage of him introducing John Wilkinson, but not the solo. Final Curtain edited in Omaha video of Early Morning and synched it with audio from the EIC album, which is June 21. We also do not have video of the solos for What'd I Say nor Johnny B. Goode. More clever editing. I can't remember if Ron Tutt's drum solo was included, but if it was, it is from Omaha.

Yup.

So, you do have the Final Curtain?

Come on, admit it, you love 1977.

Come out of the closet and admit it.

Thu May 30, 2013 2:31 am

I found it odd that the Rapid City footage was edited in such a way. We see the actual introductions, but the solos are cut. Either that's the way CBS shot it, or the importers acquired an incomplete source. It may be that, after viewing the dailies from Omaha, the TV crew knew they had the solos in the can, and stopped tape.

Thu May 30, 2013 3:01 am

elvisjock wrote:I found it odd that the Rapid City footage was edited in such a way. We see the actual introductions, but the solos are cut. Either that's the way CBS shot it, or the importers acquired an incomplete source. It may be that, after viewing the dailies from Omaha, the TV crew knew they had the solos in the can, and stopped tape.

My guess is they were cut out sometime before they got to a lower-level chain of traders. It makes the original tapes more valuable.

Thu May 30, 2013 3:05 am

On all releases to date, we have no actual complete band solos on June 21, 1977. AFAIK, they are all edited.

Thu May 30, 2013 3:12 am

Oh EPE....just release the darn thing already and be done with it ! :smt015

Thu May 30, 2013 3:14 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisjock wrote:I found it odd that the Rapid City footage was edited in such a way. We see the actual introductions, but the solos are cut. Either that's the way CBS shot it, or the importers acquired an incomplete source. It may be that, after viewing the dailies from Omaha, the TV crew knew they had the solos in the can, and stopped tape.

My guess is they were cut out sometime before they got to a lower-level chain of traders. It makes the original tapes more valuable.

I concur. Early copies of the raw tapes had no solos included but more recently, footage including Elvis scatting along with Bobby Ogden's solo emerged.

Thu May 30, 2013 3:46 am

On the TFC set, June 21, 1977 was edited together with a bit of footage from The Great Performances and June 19, 1977 making it seem as complete as possible.

However, on TFC there are quite a few moments of unreleased different camera angles/footage (such as during Hurt, which features most of the song with Ginger on the left and unreleased faded footage of Elvis on the right) when Elvis is introducing My Way, when he introduces Unchained Melody saying he'll do Moody Blue later, and quite a few other instances of unreleased footage). I will need to watch it again and catalog them in complete detail, if you'd like me to do that Cisco!

Thu May 30, 2013 3:54 am

BrianTCB wrote:On the TFC set, June 21, 1977 was edited together with a bit of footage from The Great Performances and June 19, 1977 making it seem as complete as possible.

However, on TFC there are quite a few moments of unreleased different camera angles/footage (such as during Hurt, which features most of the song with Ginger on the left and unreleased faded footage of Elvis on the right) when Elvis is introducing My Way, when he introduces Unchained Melody saying he'll do Moody Blue later, and quite a few other instances of unreleased footage). I will need to watch it again and catalog them in complete detail, if you'd like me to do that Cisco!

Brian, we all know you can do better than that. All you have to do is time travel 50 years into the future, steal an official copy of the EIC 3 Disc Blu Ray set released by Sony, come back here and post it on youtube for all to see. :smt002

Thu May 30, 2013 4:18 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
BrianTCB wrote:On the TFC set, June 21, 1977 was edited together with a bit of footage from The Great Performances and June 19, 1977 making it seem as complete as possible.

Brian, we all know you can do better than that. All you have to do is time travel 50 years into the future, steal an official copy of the EIC 3 Disc Blu Ray set released by Sony, come back here and post it on youtube for all to see. :smt002

Hey! Hey! Hey! Sssssshhhhhhhhh...TCB-FAN...don't tell everyone I have the EIC 3 Disc blu-ray set from the future dude. Now everyone's gonna want it! ;)

Thu May 30, 2013 4:27 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Janelle McComb did it.

Thu May 30, 2013 4:28 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Janelle McComb did it.

Thu May 30, 2013 7:12 am

elvisjock wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Janelle McComb did it.

Perhaps. But perhaps not.

Thu May 30, 2013 10:18 am

That would be fantastic..also please catalog the intros...what is real..? / fake ? / incomplete ? / edited..?

Thank you !!!

Thu May 30, 2013 11:26 am

ekenee wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Yup.

So, you do have the Final Curtain?

Come on, admit it, you love 1977.

Come out of the closet and admit it.

Wouldn't it be quite obvious that he would have '77 material, at least for the historical aspect of the man he has studied, and provided so much information here for? :wink:
I have the Frankie and Johnny soundtrack, but that doesn't mean I blast it at the gas station.