Off Topic Messages

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Wed May 22, 2013 11:52 pm

For anyone who is interested there is a very nice article in the LA Times about Ray Manzarek as a producer. Manzarek produced L.A. punk band X's first four albums. X is one of my all-time favorite bands and members Exene Cervenka and John Doe say very interesting things about him as a producer:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... 2286.story

Thu May 23, 2013 2:38 pm

R.I.P. Ray - you were one of the greatest.

You'll finally meet Jim again now.

Thu May 23, 2013 7:23 pm

intheghetto wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:For anyone who is interested there is a very nice article in the LA Times about Ray Manzarek as a producer. Manzarek produced L.A. punk band X's first four albums. X is one of my all-time favorite bands and members Exene Cervenka and John Doe say very interesting things about him as a producer:

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/mu ... 2286.story

Thanks for posting that, I've been a fan of X for a long time and I actually got to see them when they toured in 2010 or 11. They're up there in age now but they still sounded amazing. When I first learned years and years ago that Ray Manzarek was their producer I thought it was a really interesting and maybe unlikely pairing, but on another level it also made sense to me and underscored the admiration I had for Ray because I was already a Doors fan. It showed that he cast a wider net as an artist and wasn't just another musician from another band from the 60s.

I also just want to add a few more thoughts about Ray Manzarek that have been floating around in my head since he passed on Monday. First I just want to note the whole dynamic of The Doors and how they worked as a result of the sum of their parts. The lion's share of the attention is usually focused on Jim Morrison and there's no surprise there, but as big a personality as Morrison was and as big as his legend became I don't think that ever overshadowed the unique talents of the other guys in the band. They all-John, Robby, and Ray-had something unique of their own to offer and I don't think The Doors would've worked if it wasn't those four guys together. I think it's also a credit to Jim Morrison as musician and poet as it seemed that he wasn't there to outshine the other guys and simply make them his back up band.

Finally, the other thing that I want to say is that I also really admired and respected the way Ray Manzarek handled the legacy of The Doors for the last 42 years. I think he always represented the band with integrity and never forgot and always stuck with what the original message of the band was, and I think because of that the world will always know what The Doors were about then and continue to be about now and in the future.

Great comments, intheghetto! (As usual!)

I saw X in 2010, too, at Slim's in San Francisco. Ray Manzarek played with them that night. (I posted a video I shot of them performing with Manzarek earlier in this thread.)

I had seen X many times since 1982 but that was the first time I saw them perform with Ray. X were a fantastic band who were as much influenced by Elvis Presley as The Cramps were. (They were another American punk rock band from the '70s.) Their guitarist, Billy Zoom, actually played behind Gene Vincent in 1971! (In 1971 Rockabilly music was long out of favor and Gene Vincent was having health issues because of his heavy drinking. He died later that year in October.)

I agree with that about how The Doors "worked as a result of the sum of their parts." As you mentioned, Jim got most of the attention but few realize that Ray had a dual role in the band: He played keyboards but he also played the bass parts with his feet!

Fri May 24, 2013 9:34 pm

intheghetto wrote:I had considered going to see 'The Doors of the 21st Century' when they rolled through town, but like alot of other events like that I took it for granted. I'm pretty mindful of that now and if something comes around I try to check it out (that's exactly why I went to see Jerry Lewis recently).

Yes, it's always a good idea to follow your instincts in situations like that because sometimes it's too late. I felt very lucky that I got to see James Brown perform before he died. But no one could have ever expected that Manzarek would die so soon. He seemed so healthy!

intheghetto wrote:Not to belabor all this stuff about Ray Manzarek, but I keep having these thoughts (doesn't that suck that you realize this stuff when somebody's gone?). Now that he's no longer with us we've not only lost a founding member of The Doors, but really their de facto spokesman. Ray was always the one over the years, more than Robby and Ray, who was the go-to guy about the band and he always seemed to be incredibly enthusiastic about it. He always spoke of The Doors in a context of the present. It was never 'oh how silly we were all those years ago' and I think that will always be floating around there in the ether.

I fully agree with you. Manzarek was definitely the unofficial spokesperson of the band and his enthusiasm never wavered.

By the way, thank you for your extremely intelligent comments in another off topic thread that has since been deleted.

Fri May 24, 2013 9:41 pm

Saw him play in Dublin solo gig - attended both nights. Was quite amazing to hear the stories and the piano parts on their own. His wife Dorothy sat alone on the upper balcony watching the whole thing. The Doors were one of the greatest musical forces in history, at last Ray and Jim are reunited. Bravo.

"The man who never in his mind and thoughts travelled to heaven is no artist" . - William Blake.

Ray travelled with his music, and took us there for the ride.

RIP Ray

Sat May 25, 2013 6:37 am

Rest in peace Ray.....

Mon May 27, 2013 7:12 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Co-founder of perhaps the third-best band of all time, the Doors. May he R.I.P.

im curious, if you think the beatles are #1, the doors #3, who's #2?

Mon May 27, 2013 7:46 am

voldto wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Co-founder of perhaps the third-best band of all time, the Doors. May he R.I.P.

im curious, if you think the beatles are #1, the doors #3, who's #2?

Voice

Mon May 27, 2013 2:27 pm

R.I.P. Ray. Doors did cut some fantastic music. Love em. Managed to see Ray and Robbie live when they toured as Riders On The Storm. Nice evening of great music. The Perception box set with outtakes and DVD-audio is one of the greatest releases ever. Ray was very gifted on keyboard and his organ sound gave Doors music unique feeling.

Mon May 27, 2013 6:35 pm

I was sad to hear he died too. Had no idea he was sick and had never even heard of that type of cancer he had. Just as people say the Doors could not really survive without Jim. the same could be said for Ray.

Mon May 27, 2013 9:12 pm

Marko wrote:The Perception box set with outtakes and DVD-audio is one of the greatest releases ever.

That I can't agree with. It contains the '99 cube box remasters, which on some level is okay, but it contained '99 revision of the self-titled debut album which is a travesty. Additionally, a few key outtakes were left off the collection. And with regards to the DVD-audio, it contains remixes of the legendary albums - not the historically accurate mixes. The Doors catalogue still needs a proper reissue a la the 2009 Beatles box sets. WB loves reissuing Doors masters, so perhaps it is around the corner.

Mon May 27, 2013 9:37 pm

The best thing to ever happen with The Doors catalogue are the recent 45 rpm vinyl reissues from Analogue Productions! These are the closest you´ll ever come to hearing the albums as they were intended to sound.

So, get yourself a decent turntable with a decent pickup and get the 45 rpm vinyl reissues from Analogue Productions! This will give you an idea of how great an artist and organist/piano player Raymond Daniel Manzarek was too.

Sincerely
MB280E

Mon May 27, 2013 9:43 pm

midnightx wrote:
Marko wrote:The Perception box set with outtakes and DVD-audio is one of the greatest releases ever.

That I can't agree with. It contains the '99 cube box remasters, which on some level is okay, but it contained '99 revision of the self-titled debut album which is a travesty. Additionally, a few key outtakes were left off the collection. And with regards to the DVD-audio, it contains remixes of the legendary albums - not the historically accurate mixes. The Doors catalogue still needs a proper reissue a la the 2009 Beatles box sets. WB loves reissuing Doors masters, so perhaps it is around the corner.

They did release LA woman in 2012 with the orginal mixes. I have the 2007 versions, so when I saw the 2012 version cheap, I didn't hesitate to buy that one as well. LA Woman is one of my favorite albums.

Wed May 29, 2013 10:27 am

midnightx wrote:

Yes, I know they aren't original mixes but like them anyway. After all they were approved by 3/4 of the original band. The DVD-Audio with a surround mix is one of the few surround mix releases that I enjoy. Usually surround mix doesn't quite work (alá Elvis 30 #1 Hits) but on this occasion I found it pretty good. On the outtakes there are some real gems like jazzy Spy on Morrison Hotel.

Wed May 29, 2013 10:28 am

Rigs wrote:
midnightx wrote:

They did release LA woman in 2012 with the orginal mixes. I have the 2007 versions, so when I saw the 2012 version cheap, I didn't hesitate to buy that one as well. LA Woman is one of my favorite albums.

I got that as well. It's good release.

Wed May 29, 2013 10:30 am

MB280E wrote:The best thing to ever happen with The Doors catalogue are the recent 45 rpm vinyl reissues from Analogue Productions! These are the closest you´ll ever come to hearing the albums as they were intended to sound.

So, get yourself a decent turntable with a decent pickup and get the 45 rpm vinyl reissues from Analogue Productions! This will give you an idea of how great an artist and organist/piano player Raymond Daniel Manzarek was too.

Sincerely
MB280E

I got most of the Doors albums on 180 g vinyl re-releases as well. Haven't got around to listen to them yet though so I can't comment on the sound.

Wed May 29, 2013 10:21 pm

Marko wrote:
Rigs wrote:
midnightx wrote:

I got that as well. It's good release.

After a view spins I have to say I prefer the new mix above the orginal. I know the whole argument about leaving the originals intact, but and this is pure taste, I think the songs do sound clearer, more powerfull on the 2007 release. Hyacinth House, for instance, has more edge and vibrant sound on the 2007 version then on the original. On the original it sounds a bit dull. Having said that the albums should always be available in their orginal form.