Off Topic Messages

Re: Where's Javilu been?

Thu May 16, 2013 8:59 pm

javilu wrote:
Chad Gates wrote:
Nice camera you have btw, I used to have a Lumix FZ38 but recently upgraded to a Samsung nx1000 and I also have an Olympus SZ-30MR for snapshots as the Samsung is a bit big to carry round in your pocket, Keep taking those great photo`s you have a steady hand and your framing is always spot on .

Alan.

My camera is a Lumix FZ100. Most pics come out with a lot of noise when not using a flash but that's probably because I have to learn how to configure the manual controls.
Thanks Alan!
javierTCB wrote:
Javilu, hombre, vaya buena vida la tuya. Sana envidia al ver los hermosos lugares que recorres, la buena compañía y la inmensa suerte de estar cerca de Paul (esperamos ver más videos).

Un saludo, tocayo, desde las orillas del Mediterráneo :smt006

Gracias Javier!!!

This is my friend Marcos and me jamming to some of Paul's songs at Castro's Park Hotel in Goiania

It seems that they have replaced the ccd technology from the older FZ series with new cmos technology in the newer models, Unfortunately it is that which is noisy so it will remain even if you use the camera in manual mode, But even given this your pictures are still really nice and you capture the event really well so keep on clicking :) .

Alan.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:08 pm

Nice shots Jav. I'll be sending you a life-sized porcelin statue of Sir Paul via DHL Post. You'll have to promise me you'll hug the statue at least 3 times daily and sing "Silly Love Songs" to it.

Fri May 17, 2013 5:35 pm

javilu wrote:My camera is a Lumix FZ100. Most pics come out with a lot of noise when not using a flash but that's probably because I have to learn how to configure the manual controls.

You need to set the camera to record both JPG and RAW files. RAW files can be processed using free software like this

http://rawtherapee.com/downloads

and you'll get a few advantages over the out-of-camera JPGs. First you may be able to recover some of the blown out highlights, and lighten some of the shadows, and second you'll be able to reduce the noise quite a bit.

Fri May 17, 2013 8:21 pm

The Pirate wrote:
javilu wrote:My camera is a Lumix FZ100. Most pics come out with a lot of noise when not using a flash but that's probably because I have to learn how to configure the manual controls.

You need to set the camera to record both JPG and RAW files. RAW files can be processed using free software like this

and you'll get a few advantages over the out-of-camera JPGs. First you may be able to recover some of the blown out highlights, and lighten some of the shadows, and second you'll be able to reduce the noise quite a bit.

Sounds complicated!
But I will check the manual and give it a try. Thanks Mr. Pirate

Fri May 17, 2013 11:46 pm

javilu wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

Sounds complicated!

The good thing is that by saving files in both formats, even if you can't work out how to use the RAW software straight away, you've lost nothing. You still have the same JPGs that you would have had anyway.

Not a concert photo, but here's an example of what can be done. First is how it came out of the camera. I completely messed up the exposure. Second is after I processed the RAW file.

before.jpg

after.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 18, 2013 7:23 am

The Pirate wrote:
javilu wrote:
The Pirate wrote:

Sounds complicated!

The good thing is that by saving files in both formats, even if you can't work out how to use the RAW software straight away, you've lost nothing. You still have the same JPGs that you would have had anyway.

Not a concert photo, but here's an example of what can be done. First is how it came out of the camera. I completely messed up the exposure. Second is after I processed the RAW file.

before.jpg

after.jpg

That's fascinating. Which one was an original jpg, and which one started out as RAW? I assume the second, but what did it look like at first? Are these both the same one? The top being the RAW image, and the second after working on it?

Interesting! Thanks.

rjm

Sat May 18, 2013 11:30 am

rjm wrote:
That's fascinating. Which one was an original jpg, and which one started out as RAW? I assume the second, but what did it look like at first? Are these both the same one? The top being the RAW image, and the second after working on it?

Interesting! Thanks.

rjm

The first picture is the JPG, straight out of the camera. It was totally underexposed and most people would just delete it. You could try to brighten it up, but then you'd lose detail in the sky, like this:

3.jpg

By working on the RAW file you can bring out a lot of information which would otherwise be lost. This works with shadows and dark areas too, so in a concert setting for example you can underexpose the shot slightly - which gives you a faster shutter speed as well, always useful when you're trying to photograph in a dark room - and then boost the 'lowlights' afterwards.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat May 18, 2013 12:48 pm

Thanks Javilu for your time to posts all the great shots here!

Sat May 18, 2013 9:07 pm

Here you go Javilu, before you do anything else try this software. You need the free "community" version. It will help you eliminate noise on the pictures you have already taken.

http://imagenomic.com/download.aspx?product=noiseware

Here's an example of what you can do though, if you want to go down the 'RAW' route. This is a concert photograph that I took with a Canon Powershot G9, a camera that's now almost 6 years old and very old technology. First is the RAW file. As you can see, very noisy and not much detail in the highlights. Then the JPG straight from the camera. The built in camera software has done a reasonable job of clawing back some of the detail and removing some of the noise, but it's a bit too dark. Lastly the end result of processing that same RAW file with "Rawtherapee" and then "Noiseware".

praw.jpg

p2.JPG

p1.jpg

Sat May 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Remember this spot Javilu ???

They have surveillance cameras now. So don't even think about it !

Sun May 19, 2013 3:37 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Remember this spot Javilu ???

They have surveillance cameras now. So don't even think about it !

The day Javilu starts worrying about surveillance cameras we're all in trouble.

Sun May 19, 2013 6:02 pm

Thanks Mr. Pirate!
I'll check that software.

Mon May 27, 2013 2:25 am

Doc, you need to report asap this guy who disrespected and desecrated Elvis grave by crossing the fence!

Mon May 27, 2013 2:30 am

javilu wrote:Doc, you need to report asap this guy who disrespected and desecrated Elvis grave by crossing the fence!

He is a beatle he can walk on water ! and graves if he likes !!!

Mon May 27, 2013 3:09 am

rocknroller wrote:He is a beatle he can walk on water ! and graves if he likes !!!

You're absolutely right, Pat.

This is a first :lol:

I think the pic deserves its own thread.

Mon May 27, 2013 3:17 am

I love this shot of Paul holding the Elvis' iconic Gibson.

I absolutely love this guitar and I was thrilled the first time I saw it "in person" at Graceland. Nice to see one of my heroes holding it.

Mon May 27, 2013 3:33 am

InheritTheWind wrote:I love this shot of Paul holding the Elvis' iconic Gibson.

I absolutely love this guitar and I was thrilled the first time I saw it "in person" at Graceland. Nice to see one of my heroes holding it.

Great pic, love it!!