Off Topic Messages

An Hello To All From Carolyn !

Wed May 22, 2013 2:14 pm

Hi All,

I got an email from, Carolyn, regarding her trip with her daughter, Brooke.

Carolyn, wants to say hello to everybody on here, and share with everybody what happened on their trip together onboard Brookes Ship......here's the email below...

Just a short note....
I have attached a photograph of Brooke scattering Dad’s ashes while we were on the family cruise on her ship.
We had been discussing this trip for a few days....every so often the navy allows parents/siblings to travel a short distance with their kids/parents/aunty’s etc when their deployment is over. This one was from Townsville to Sydney.
One morning I was sitting at my desk thinking about Dad and what on earth we were going to do with his ashes, then it dawned on me that I was going out to sea and maybe Brooke and I could scatter them....I asked my brothers and my sister first, and they wholeheartedly agreed if it was OK with Brookes CO. Brooke asked her Buffer.....(the guy that goes between the sailors and the officers) and he asked the ‘higher ups...they said yes, it would be their pleasure to do this. I just thought that Brooke and I could do it, but the Buffer (Ben) organised a service for us...the Chaplain and the Captain and the Warrant Officer all got into their dress uniforms and Brookes department all stood around us. Their was a small religious service, Dad wasn’t at all interested in religion, but I quietly told him to please be quiet and let them do their thing...lol...Brooke then scattered the ashes...it was great and afterwards I felt really at ease. I felt that we had done the right thing by Dad.
Apparently this was the first time that the Chaplain could think of that this was done for a civilian...usually any ship that is at sea at the time of ANZAC Day, they scatter ashes if navy personnel that had passed. This last ANZAC Day (25th April) they had done about 3 or 4.
The sad part though later on that day, we had to turn back about 100 miles and search for 2 people who had fallen off a cruise ship the night before. When I looked out at that ocean I though how on earth were we ever going to find these people....unfortunately they weren’t found. Our ship had a helicopter on it and that was going out and coming back all of the daylight hours..and the ship was going back and forth..as well as police planes and police launches....
anyway, I thought you might like to see the photo..

Carolyn
"Walk A Block In My Socks"

Re: An Hello To All From Carolyn !

Wed May 22, 2013 2:21 pm

Thank's a lot for sharing this, and what an adventure at sea, that would be terrible to go missing like that!!

Wed May 22, 2013 3:05 pm

I love you, Carolyn.

My best to your daughter.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:29 pm

Rob wrote:I love you, Carolyn.

Ditto what Rob said. I love you, too, Carolyn.

Thu May 23, 2013 1:40 am

Thanks for sharing Dan.....I`ve been in the navy myself for many years now and can figure how it must have been for Carolyn........uhhh, a lot of things can happen on a navyship......search and rescue is one of them.....it gets to you every time. Sometimes you are lucky........sometimes not, but everytime it hit somehow.....the feel that this is about lifes at stake and everyone is doing their very best to make a difference.....it`s just such a intense situation to be a part of.

Fri May 24, 2013 1:24 pm

Rob wrote:I love you, Carolyn.

And, Carolyn, loves you too, Rob, very, very much ! ... We all do ! :)

elvisa and Ian, you're both welcome !

Fri May 24, 2013 3:09 pm

Please don't speak for her. It doesn't mean as much. I need to know that those words are from Carolyn. It's my heart you're playing with.

Please don't drag that string around.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:29 pm

:)

Thu Aug 29, 2013 4:09 am

Myself and my lady had a Skype conversation with, Carolyn, yesterday, and she asked this Pommy Bastard to say hello to you all !

So, hello all from, Carolyn !!! :-)

The Sheila's doing well by the way !

Thu Aug 29, 2013 10:53 am

Great to hear she is doing well, although I imagine she was a little upset with the cricket!

Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:09 am

Well, she wasn't best pleased about them relieving themselves :-)

Sat Aug 31, 2013 6:22 am

Miss you here Carolyn!!
I hope you are well... god bless!!