Off Topic Messages

Another Personal Loss...

Wed May 22, 2013 3:52 pm

When is it going to end?!?!?!?!?!?

I just found out this morning that I have lost yet ANOTHER close friend - yet, this one was a fellow musician friend who had a heart bigger than Texas and was very encouraging to me and my own difficult struggles in my career as a musician: Jeff "Hoss" Howard. He was only forty five. Here's the information I have (and I know that, unless you live here where I do or in Cullowhee, NC - his hometown - you more than likely won't recognize the name and PLEASE understand that this was written before he passed away around 12:00 a.m. this morning):

BACKGROUND STORY

Brothers and Sisters to the Hoss Howard family, thank you for dropping in to see how we are doing. As many of you know, Hoss suffered a massive heart attack Thursday May 9th. True to form the big guy was out playing tennis and whooping up on the guys when he started having some pain. After driving himself to the hospital, they told him he was having a heart attack and it was time to get to Asheville. Tinker and the boys were called and everyone rallied at Mission in Asheville.

The news wasn't good, but the docs were ready and it wasn't long before Hoss was in surgery. This couldn't be a story about Hoss if there weren't a few miracles involved. The surgeon found that one whole artery was 100% blocked. They determined he had had another heart attack some time back, probably several years, but that didn't stop Hoss. His big ol heart had grown veins around the blockage to keep him going. There was more blockage in the other arteries, but the docs were able to get a stint in to help the flow. It was a close call. Later that night, the stint failed and Hoss was rushed back into surgery while having another heart attack. The staff was able to keep him with us despite a few close calls. They inserted an Impella heart pump to allow his heart to pump and rest at the same time.

Ever the fighter, even when reduced to 10% usage of his heart, Hoss has kept the nurses and doctors on their toes. On paper he should be pretty much comatose, but Hoss is awake, alert, and ready for the fight ahead. We keep telling him he has to take it slow and let himself rest and heal, but he wants to know when he can get going. There aren't enough words to express how many miracles we have been blessed with in the past few days. Against all odds, and everything the doctors have been taught, Hoss is still with us. While all this sounds great and we are very hopeful, we are nowhere near out of the woods. His situation is very critical but stable. He is in a very delicate state which could tip with a heart beat. The doctors are very encouraged by his reactions to the meds and treatment, but we are in the wait and see phase.

The plan as of this morning is to remove the Impella Monday and see how he reacts. Tinker is staying with friends in Asheville, and the boys are with Elias and his family also in Asheville. This is where we are guys and we appreciate all the thoughts prayers and help so far from everyone.

This is where I ask for everyone who has been touched by the big guy to reach out. As you all know Hoss has been behind so many fund raising events and is the first to help a friend or stranger at a moments notice. The family will be needing help around the house, maybe driving the boys or even staying with them while Tinker is away taking care of Hoss, a few meals made never hurt either. Financial donations will be welcome as well. Anything anyone can do to lend a hand will be welcome. I'll be setting up a Support Planner with things we need though this site to help keep the love organized.

Check back with us and pass the link. I'll post updates as they come. We love you all and we know you will keep us in your prayers and thoughts. Thank you once again for the over whelming support and love.

The Howard Family

From Last Night....

Jeff has taken a turn for the worse. His right side of his heart failed leaving him in complete heart failure and blood backed up into his organs causing sepsis shock. He just got out of emergency surgery to put a rvad in to try and support his heart. He is in guarded condition, which means hour to hour could mean life or death. He is on life support, ventilator, dialysis , artificial lung, Ecmo, respirator, and any other device to keep him alive to hopefully pull him through. His team of drs , 20 of them, are fighting just as hard as Jeff is fighting for himself and his family. I am begging all our friends to start prayer circles and Jeff and our family as they have been called in to be with Jeff. I have no words for the love i have for my husband and cannot live in a world with him not by my side. I am begging for a miracle . Please help me and my family.

That was all that has been posted. I found out the sad news from another dear lady friend of mine who has/had worked alongside Jeff in the past. No official death announcement as of yet from his wife, Tinker, but a lot of us local musicians/fans here in Murphy, NC and out in Hoss's hometown of Cullowhee, NC are at a loss and devastated....

Me: I'll miss you, Hoss. See you in Heaven someday, my musical "Big Brother"! You were the epitome of a true friend and you were a HUGE encouragement to me when I felt like quitting but, because of you, I am going to continue on in your memory! I will treasure the encouraging letter that you wrote me for the rest of my own life.
Last edited by Tony Trout on Sun May 26, 2013 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Another Personal Loss...

Wed May 22, 2013 10:11 pm

I hope he had a good life. Was he an Elvis fan?

Thu May 23, 2013 1:28 am

Forty one.......way to young to go........so sorry for your loss Tony.
TLC
Elvisa

Thu May 23, 2013 2:30 am

Hoss' wife just posted this on her FB page:

I want to thank everyone for their prayers and support during my husband's illness. Unfortunately, his heart was not strong enough to handle all the complications that followed. In the end He experienced multiple organ failure with septic shock and drs could not get his blood pressure to stabilize which perplexed all the staff. Drs and nurse support staff said that they had never seen a case like his and were amazed at how hard he fought. We will post firm details on funeral arrangements as soon as i can get back to Cherokee . I can tell you that it will be at the longhouse funeral home in Cherokee , Monday
On Memorial Day . Times will follow. I thought since he is a veteran it would be apropos . All my love and devotion to all , tinker

Thu May 23, 2013 2:50 am

I'm very sorry, Tony. Again. And so young.

He sounded like a fine man; if he encouraged you, make him proud.

May he rest in peace.

And may you have some better luck, lately.

rjm

Thu May 23, 2013 5:22 am

Hoss Howard was such a good man. He came to our radio station a few years ago, and we had him on the air for an hour, playing acoustic guitar, singing songs, and chatting about his career. It was a very special day for all of us. I had no idea you knew him, Tony. He wasn't the most well-known artist in country music, but he was a special man. I was shocked and saddened to learn of his death today.

Fri May 24, 2013 6:12 pm

KHoots wrote:Hoss Howard was such a good man. He came to our radio station a few years ago, and we had him on the air for an hour, playing acoustic guitar, singing songs, and chatting about his career. It was a very special day for all of us. I had no idea you knew him, Tony. He wasn't the most well-known artist in country music, but he was a special man. I was shocked and saddened to learn of his death today.

KEITH!! WOW! What a small world! I didn't know you knew him, either! A former band I was in opened a couple of shows for him last year. He was only just starting his career and had just signed a deal with Big Machine Records this past week and had also written a new song and was SO excited - and now it's all over. His wife, Tinker, is devastated. My heart breaks for all who knew him and worked with him. I hate to see the band go their separate ways.....:'(

It's too bad you live so far away, it'd be cool to meet you - even if it would be under sad circumstances....:(

DJC: He had a great life as far as a musician but he struggled constantly while trying to land a record deal. As far as him being an Elvis fan, no offense but, that's not really important right now for those of us who are mourning his loss. Funeral arrangements are below:

Monday
1:00pm

The Wolfetown Community Gym Center, Cherokee, NC

Funeral Celebration & Memorial Service on Memorial Day (Monday May 27th) for My Veteran Husband, Hoss Howard will be held at the Wolfetown Community Gym Center, Cherokee, NC. There will be a LARGE sign that says HOSS HOWARD

FUNERAL:
Receiving of friends will start at 1pm and Service will begin at 2pm. There will be a flexible itinerary and we welcome anyone to share a memory or song of how Hoss touched their life. Bring photo albums, favorite pictures, memorabilia, etc. and we can share those also!! Personally, that is what I am going to look forward to because he has touched many hearts in such a brief time that it astounds me of his larger than life force.

Funeral arrangements are being assisted by Longhouse Funeral Home

Thank you all for the endless support and devotion to Hoss, Tinker, and the whole family. Once again we are asking that any cards be sent to P O Box 82 Cullowhee, North Carolina, 28723 and in lieu of flowers please make a contribution to our donation page http://www.gofundme.com/2xiaew

Sat May 25, 2013 12:37 am

Tony Trout wrote:It's too bad you live so far away, it'd be cool to meet you - even if it would be under sad circumstances....:(

A big +1.................

Sat May 25, 2013 5:34 am

So sorry for the loss of your friend Tony. My prayers go out to his wife, family, and friends.

rlj

Sat May 25, 2013 6:36 am

So sorry about your loss Tony, hang in there my friend. My condolences to his family and friends.

Sat May 25, 2013 2:03 pm

Thanks, everyone...it just seems that all I've dealt with in less than 1 month is "loss"...and it doesn't get any easier...losing my uncle and that lady friend I went to church with was a big blow but...hearing about this loss had me feeling like I'd been slapped as hard as you can behind the knees with a baseball bat...

He put up one hell of a fight, though. The doctors were amazed at how he tried to hold on and survive...I just can't believe he's no longer here to talk to or get advice from when I need it...:(

Hoss was, in my mind and heart, truly a one-of-a-kind person.

I guess if I had any questions right now, it would be: "Why do you always seem to take the good people, God?"

Sun May 26, 2013 4:56 pm

Here's Hoss' obit. I will also be saying a few words at the service as well (I have also corrected his age at death since reading the obituary that I have posted):

Jeff "Hoss" Howard, 45, passed away on May 22, 2013 at Duke Medical Center in Durham, NC. Jeff was a Nashville recording artist and songwriter. Jeff made his home in Cullowhee, NC but also had resided in the Wolftown community in Cherokee, NC for many years. Jeff is a native of Walnut Ridge, AR and is the son of Bill Howard Sr. and the late Jennifer Davis Howard Womack of Arkansas.

Jeff proudly served in the United States Army from 1985 until 1991. During his time in the service he went to basic training at Ft. Jackson, NC. Upon completion he was stationed at Ft. Gordon, GA. He then moved on to the NATO Shape base in Belgium. Jeff was also stationed in Heidelberg, Germany with the German 2nd Signal. While stationed in Germany, he was deployed to Kuwait with the 39th Signal Battalion in support of Operation Desert Storm. During his deployment Jeff was awarded the Joint Service Achievement Medal. In 1991, Jeff departed from Shape in Belgium as a highly decorated soldier with an honorable discharge.

Jeff is survived by his wife, Della "Tinker" Bradley Howard and his 3 sons, Elias Howard and wife Nicole of Maryland, Evan and Jared Howard of the home. Also surviving are his brothers; Bill Howard Jr. and wife Jennifer of Missouri and Matthew Womack of Arkansas. Sisters; Emily Womack of Missouri, Angie Roberts and husband Shawn of Arkansas. Three grandchildren; Ewan, Aeriss and Mirela Howard and grandmother, Louise Davis of Arkansas. Jeff also leaves behind many Aunts, Uncles, Nieces, Nephews and Cousins.

Jeff is also survived by his father and mother-in-law, Ray and Darlene Bradley of Cherokee, NC. Brother-in-law Ray "Brad" Bradley Jr. and wife Mindy of Bryson City, NC. Sister-in-law, Patty Jenkins and husband Johnny of Mississippi, along with nieces and nephews.

Jeff was a member of the Hoss Howard Band and will be greatly missed by his band brothers, cherished fans and valued friends.

A visitation will be held at the Wolftown Community Gym Center, located on Hwy 19/23 Wolftown Rd. Cherokee, NC., on May 27, 2013 starting at 1:00 PM. A funeral service ( Celebration of Life) will follow at 2:00 PM. Everyone is welcome to come and share their expressions of love through stories and music. Visit "Hoss Howard is all heart" on facebook or Reverbnation.com/hosshoward to post condolences and what Hoss meant to you personally.

Thank You all for the endless support and devotion to Hoss, Tinker and the whole family. Once again we are asking that any cards be sent to PO Box 82, Cullowhee NC, 28723. In lieu of flowers please make a contribution to our donation page http://www.gofundme.com/2xiaew

Long House Funeral Home assisted family with arrangements