Off Topic Messages

Bates Motel

Wed May 22, 2013 1:19 am

The Bates family: Rather like certain forum members, not people you particularly want moving to a town near you. Despite how unwelcome the family itself might be in real life, the A&E channel reimagining of the Norman Bates story has been an absolute joy throughout its first season, which came to an end in the US last night.

I confess that I approached it with trepidation, but the writing and acting has been really top-notch and has been masterful in treading a thin line between exciting, original drama and being over-the-top. Of course, it is over-the-top in some respects with the story rather far-fetched, but not beyond the realms of possibility, which is the main thing. Vera Farmiga is wonderful as the slightly deranged, unpredictable Norma Bates, and Freddie Highmore is stunning and sympathetic as Norman. But the supporting cast should not be forgotten, with Max Thierot superb as Dylan, Norman's half-brother.

A re-imagining of such a well-known story is often difficult to take. The series, after all, is dealing with Norman's teenage years - and yet is set in 2013. But it is done so convincingly that we almost forget that we know how this story will (eventually) end. The corrupt town to which the Bates's move at the start of the series is finely drawn and comes seems to come straight out a Stephen King novel (the corrupt town in "It" comes to mind). The series is also clever in mixing various genres - on one hand it is extremely dark and adult, but on the other it has elements of the best teen dramas...but can be enjoyed thoroughly by both audiences

This is great stuff that will hopefully get the plaudits it deserves, and hopefully will be picked up in the UK and elsewhere so that people can watch it in a more legal fashion than I have! A second season has been commissioned for next year, and here's hoping the standard remains high. With just ten episodes per season that is more likely to happen.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 am, edited 3 times in total.

Re: Bates Motel

Wed May 22, 2013 2:36 am

The 10 episodes were enjoyable.
Last edited by Blue River on Wed May 22, 2013 4:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 22, 2013 2:37 am

I wasn't aware of this series and if I had been I would have poured scorn on it as a huge fan of the film but I might just check it out if it gets a UK broadcast since you have gave it such a glowing report.

norrie

Wed May 22, 2013 2:43 am

norrie wrote:I wasn't aware of this series and if I had been I would have poured scorn on it as a huge fan of the film but I might just check it out if it gets a UK broadcast since you have gave it such a glowing report.

norrie

There is no point in scorning something you haven't watched. If we judge books by their covers and what we THINK will be inside, we would never read half of the things we enjoy.
Last edited by poormadpeter on Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 am, edited 2 times in total.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:00 am

Wikipedia ~

Bates Motel is an American drama television series developed for television by Carlton Cuse, Kerry Ehrin and Anthony Cipriano, produced by Universal Television for A&E.

The series, being a "contemporary prequel" to the 1960 film Psycho (based on Robert Bloch's novel of the same name), depicts the life of Norman Bates and his mother Norma prior to the events portrayed in Hitchcock's film, albeit in a different fictional town ("White Pine Bay, Oregon," as opposed to the film's "Fairvale, California") and in a modern, 21st-century setting. The series begins after the death of Norma's husband, when she purchases a motel located in a coastal Oregon town so she and Norman can start a new life.

The series was filmed in Aldergrove, British Columbia, Canada and premiered on March 18, 2013, at 10 pm ET/PT. A&E chose to skip a pilot of the series, opting to go straight-to-series by ordering a 10-episode first season.

Reception ~ The show currently has a score of 65 on Metacritic, indicating "generally favorable reviews". On its premiere night, it broke rating records for an original drama series on A&E. It drew in a strong 3 million viewers total including a total of 1.6 million viewers watching it in the 18-49 demographic.

International broadcast Country Network(s) Series premiere / Timeslot
Australia FOX8................................ May 26, 2013 / TBA
Brazil Universal Channel................... July 4, 2013 / TBA
Israel HOT3/HOT3 HD....................... May 9, 2013 / Thursdays, 10:15pm
Poland 13th Street Universal Poland... April 14, 2013 / 9pm
United Kingdom Universal Channel..... TBA / TBA
Ireland Universal Channel................. TBA / TBA

On April 8, 2013, A&E renewed Bates Motel for a second season, following critical acclaim and strong ratings. It is set to air in 2014 and filming will begin in the summer of 2013.
Last edited by Blue River on Wed May 22, 2013 4:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 22, 2013 3:17 am

Blue River, why have you just listed the content of all the episodes and the spoilers????

Wed May 22, 2013 4:15 am

poormadpeter wrote:Blue River, why have you just listed the content of all the episodes and the spoilers????

:oops: Sorry... now edited.

Wed May 22, 2013 4:17 am

Blue River wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Blue River, why have you just listed the content of all the episodes and the spoilers????

:oops: Sorry... now edited.

Thank you!

Thu May 23, 2013 5:03 am

If young Norman is given ownership of the place, will they re-name it "Master Bates Motel"? ;-)

Young-Tony-anthony-perkins.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 23, 2013 11:41 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:If young Norman is given ownership of the place, will they re-name it "Master Bates Motel"? ;-)

Young-Tony-anthony-perkins.jpg

They would do that only if you were playing the lead role, Mr. Knowledge :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 23, 2013 7:14 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:If young Norman is given ownership of the place, will they re-name it "Master Bates Motel"? ;-)

They would do that only if you were playing the lead role, Mr. Knowledge :wink:.

:lol: