Off Topic Messages

Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Mon May 20, 2013 11:55 pm

Sad news, one of the founding members of the doors has died today after a battle with cancer!!

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:12 am

That's sad.

I didn't even know he was sick.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:33 am

He really admired Elvis, I'm sorry to hear of his passing.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:35 am

Co-founder of perhaps the third-best band of all time, the Doors. May he R.I.P.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:38 am

Had no idea! Don't know what to say, except that is very shocking and sad.

Well, may he rest in peace.

rjm


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Last edited by rjm on Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:50 am

This is reported to be a hoax and not at all true according to members of the Steve Hoffman forum

Sincerely MB280E
Last edited by MB280E on Tue May 21, 2013 1:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:52 am

rjm wrote:Had no idea! Don't know what to say, except that is very shocking and sad.

What was the cause?

Well, may he rest in peace.


According to the post by Rigs, he lost a battle with cancer.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:59 am

I spent an afternoon with him when my friend provided some Doors footage for an event at LA's Wiltern Theatre in the late 1980's. He was a super nice guy and it was a lot of fun hanging out with him. RIP, Ray.

phpBB [video]

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 1:06 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I spent an afternoon with him when my friend provided some Doors footage for an event at LA's Wiltern Theatre in the late 1980's. He was a super nice guy and it was a lot of fun hanging out with him. RIP, Ray.

phpBB [video]



Looks like he's holding a copy of Rubber Soul by the Beatles!


ray manzarek vinyl justice.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 1:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:Had no idea! Don't know what to say, except that is very shocking and sad.

What was the cause?

Well, may he rest in peace.


According to the post by Rigs, he lost a battle with cancer.


Sorry. I was shocked. Will edit. Thanks.

rjm


Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 1:11 am

:( Sad news...may he will R.I.P

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 1:20 am

Good eye, John, an album that even Elvis loved very, very much! :wink:

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 1:22 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:Good eye, John, an album that even Elvis loved very, very much! :wink:


And Ray loved Elvis ... it's a circle of love. ;-)

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 1:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
rjm wrote:Had no idea! Don't know what to say, except that is very shocking and sad.

What was the cause?

Well, may he rest in peace.


According to the post by Rigs, he lost a battle with cancer.


He died of Cholangiocarcinoma (cancer of the bile duct), same cancer that killed my father.

RIP, Ray.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 3:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I spent an afternoon with him when my friend provided some Doors footage for an event at LA's Wiltern Theatre in the late 1980's. He was a super nice guy and it was a lot of fun hanging out with him. RIP, Ray.

phpBB [video]



Looks like he's holding a copy of Rubber Soul by the Beatles!


ray manzarek vinyl justice.JPG


No offence meant, but it's obviously the Rubber Soul album, just seeing Paul's pic.....

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 3:33 am

ian wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I spent an afternoon with him when my friend provided some Doors footage for an event at LA's Wiltern Theatre in the late 1980's. He was a super nice guy and it was a lot of fun hanging out with him. RIP, Ray.

phpBB [video]



Looks like he's holding a copy of Rubber Soul by the Beatles!


ray manzarek vinyl justice.JPG


No offence meant, but it's obviously the Rubber Soul album, just seeing Paul's pic.....


Thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 4:25 am

680903_Manzarek_Heathrow Airport.JPG
Ray Manzarek, Heathrow Airport - Tuesday, September 3, 1968

The Doors Are Open | Film | The Doors Guide
http://www.thedoorsguide.com/film/doorsopen.html
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 4:35 am

intheghetto wrote:One of the best rock musicians of all-time. He brought a unique sound to the world that was never duplicated.

I'll always remember my first real introduction to The Doors. I say 'real' because I do remember hearing their music when I was a child but at that time not really being aware of who they were. The first 'real' introduction was probably around 1980 or 81 late at night during a broadcast of Don Kirshner's Rock Concert, no one was home and all the lights were out and just the TV on. If I remember correctly they devoted the whole hour (or 90 minutes) to showing clips of what I later learned was the 1968 documentary of The Doors tour of Europe called 'The Doors Are Open'. The feeling that was generated from the empty house, the dark, and the lo-fi black and white footage of The Doors performing just a little over ten years earlier was enough to make me a fan and I've been a devoted fan since then.

Thank you Ray Manzarek. Hopefully tonight you are reunited with your old friend.


That was about the time of the Doors/Morrison "resurrection." Kids would write "Morrison Rules" in wet cement at just that time. There was a Rolling Stone cover that's quite famous.

Ray Manzarek did quite a few interviews at the time, as I recall. I'm older than you, but that's probably when I really got to know the band, too.

Thanks for the memories.

And thanks to a masterful musician, Ray Manzarek. That cancer still even exists is just shameful.

Very sorry to hear about your Dad, Jove.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 6:37 am

This is shocking and very sad news. I just saw him a few years ago with the punk band X at Slim's in San Francisco. He seemed so full of vitality and life.

phpBB [video]

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 6:59 am

Ray was one of kind. One of the best in rock. Probably the nicest rock star I ever met. RIP Ray.

phpBB [video]

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 8:35 am

phpBB [video]



here they are doing Elvis..not Morrison though, even though it would have been cool to hear how he would have sung it..

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 10:41 am

I was shocked and sad to read about Ray's passing this morning on the way to work.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 12:27 pm

Parade’s "Top 10 Rock Bands of All Time" poll placed:
The Beatles No. 1
Led Zeppelin No. 2
Queen No. 3.
The Doors are still Legendary and Ray Manzarek is a terrible loss to the music world may he RIP.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 8:20 pm

This came as a total suprise to me..

I own all off the offcial Doors catalogue, many imports, video, dvd...
Jerry Sheff signed my LA Woman copy telling me stories about that time with those guys!!

Manzarek was one of the true inventors of Rock music.
Together with Morrison, Densmore and Krieger he was responsible for that legendary sound.
He more then the other players, almost on Jim Morrisons level..

Last week i had finished re-reading his biography..

It's crearly he loved Elvis, but it's clear he adored Jim Morrison.

May they make music together now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Ray Manzarek, dies at age 74

Tue May 21, 2013 8:25 pm

midnightx wrote:Ray was one of kind. One of the best in rock. Probably the nicest rock star I ever met. RIP Ray.

I always enjoyed listening to Ray speak about his time with The Doors... something about the sound of his voice too... very easy to listen to.
RIP Mr. Manzarek