Off Topic Messages

American idol finale

Sun May 19, 2013 11:49 pm

Did anyone watch it ? one of the best since the show started.i wanted kree to win ! but anyone one of the 5 girls could have won they where all amazing,and well done to candice !!!

Re: American idol finale

Mon May 20, 2013 12:33 am

I thought the finale was great, which is more than I can say about the rest of the season. During the auditions, Angie was my first pick to win, but I thought that Candice was very talented, and a deserving winner from a weak final twelve. The guest performers during the final were mostly superb, though. It was great to see Frankie Valli, who sounded just fine, whilst Jennifer Lopez was, in my opinion, the star of the night, with a fantastic stage performance. Live it Up will surely be one of this summer's big hits and anthems. Jessie J was also on great form, although she is never less than enthusiastic. And it shows! The same goes for Travis Barker, one of the finest drummers in a generation, and able to work with most any popular style. This said, I'm not greatly familiar with Keith Urban, but he's certainly eager. Aretha's appearance was an unusual one, but she's still got tons of character in her voice, and as a performer, even if her range has decreased and her tone is diminished. Jennifer Hudson made up for some of that, however, although I wasn't impressed by Mariah, who was out on a limb and overly dependent on her backing track. She's still an extraordinary singer, if only she would come out from behind some of her trappings. I'm not certain why Nicki Minaj didn't perform, but it was good to see Randy Jackson up there on his last show. American Idol has produced some great talent over the years, but it will need a big overhaul for next season if it's to endure. A good start would be asking Harry Connick, Jr. onto the judging panel.

Mon May 20, 2013 1:10 am

greystoke wrote:I thought the finale was great, which is more than I can say about the rest of the season. During the auditions, Angie was my first pick to win, but I thought that Candice was very talented, and a deserving winner from a weak final twelve. The guest performers during the final were mostly superb, though. It was great to see Frankie Valli, who sounded just fine, whilst Jennifer Lopez was, in my opinion, the star of the night, with a fantastic stage performance. Live it Up will surely be one of this summer's big hits and anthems. Jessie J was also on great form, although she is never less than enthusiastic. And it shows! The same goes for Travis Barker, one of the finest drummers in a generation, and able to work with most any popular style. This said, I'm not greatly familiar with Keith Urban, but he's certainly eager. Aretha's appearance was an unusual one, but she's still got tons of character in her voice, and as a performer, even if her range has decreased and her tone is diminished. Jennifer Hudson made up for some of that, however, although I wasn't impressed by Mariah, who was out on a limb and overly dependent on her backing track. She's still an extraordinary singer, if only she would come out from behind some of her trappings. I'm not certain why Nicki Minaj didn't perform, but it was good to see Randy Jackson up there on his last show. American Idol has produced some great talent over the years, but it will need a big overhaul for next season if it's to endure. A good start would be asking Harry Connick, Jr. onto the judging panel.

Angie was my second pick behind kree,i think this girl will go far.Frankie Valli & Aretha was a nice touch.i enjoyed Mariah performance and im glad Nicki did not perform as i am not a fan and hope she is not back next year as a judge.i also enjoyed emeli sande on the show its good to see a scot on there although randy pissed me of the week before saying she was from england.it will be sad to see randy leave the show after 12 years he is a big part of it.i agree with you Harry Connick Jr would make a great judge.

Mon May 20, 2013 1:20 am

I knew I forgot to mention somebody -- Emeli Sande is a dazzling talent in every way. She was really wonderful on the night.

Tue May 21, 2013 8:27 pm

Didn't even realize that show was still on the air... although I don't watch a lot of television... Canadian television is absolutely dreadful.