Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis vs. Dolly Parton

Sun May 19, 2013 7:03 am

It could be Dolly is twisting the truth a little on this one to make it look like a wise business decision to turn down Elvis and keep all the rights to a song that in later years made her a lot of money. I always understood that Elvis wanted to record Coat of Many Colors but in more recent times the story has changed to I Will Always Love You. Dolly would have made plenty of money from Elvis' recording both ( even with a reduced cut) and she would have had the honour of him recording one of her songs as well. She had every right to hold onto the rights of her songs. If it was I Will Always Love You Elvis wanted to record it was a wise business move by Dolly...if it was Coat of Many Colours. Not so wise. I don't think she needs to make it about money all she has to say her songs are too personal to give up. Even to Elvis.

Sun May 19, 2013 5:12 pm

Ironically, I watched an interview on the Ovation television network Friday night in which this was discussed. Dolly and others (Marty Stuart was one) talked about "I Will Always Love You," Elvis's interest/involvement with the song, etc.

I'm not sure where the truth lies in this story, but based on what I watched, it certainly appeared that the parties concerned were not confused about the song in question.

Sun May 19, 2013 7:15 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Are people refuting "Coat Of My Colors" in spite of the argument, or because of the person presenting the argument?

Good question. We both know the answer.

Regardless, I'm very satisfied with the argument I've presented, and it seems most agree.

Doc, don't fret, we know the answer and I trust you on this one.

I did a little investigation on this one as well and your comments hold water.

Could you imagine if this recording had actually been recorded by Elvis on a regular RCA album sitting alongside, "Burning Love" and "Always On My Mind", "Separate Ways" ?

What a waste ...

Sun May 19, 2013 7:34 pm

minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:Are people refuting "Coat Of My Colors" in spite of the argument, or because of the person presenting the argument?

Regardless, I'm very satisfied with the argument I've presented, and it seems most agree.

Could you imagine if this recording had actually been recorded by Elvis on a regular RCA album sitting alongside, "Burning Love" and "Always On My Mind", "Separate Ways" ?

What a waste ...

That is weird because if you did an investigation, then what are your findings??

The doctor's "findings" are all hunches.

Dolly's comments give no time frame, but an educational guess tells us it was between the 1972-76 period.

There is nothing that ties Elvis to "Coat of many colors" that is solid evidence. There is more evidence for "I will always love you".

Elvis could have been singing the later to Priscilla, just like the themes of many of those other break up songs he was doing at the time, ie.

"always on my mind' etc. So, the story of his mama making a coat for him does makes sense, but so does the other song.

I have been going thru some of my Dolly interviews starting at the earliest and I have found nothing, and she talks about both songs at
length with various interviewers during the 70's and 80's.

I have seen the interview where she talks about Elvis' involvment in this but I now believe I failed to record it.

My memory was that it was 2 songs Elvis was interested in, but the title "I will always love you" was the one mentioned.

My theory is this. Since I can't find anything on this from the early days, I believe that Dolly had no reason to bring it up

until there was a reason. And that reason was the phenonemal success of Whitney's version in the 90's.

Since the song sold millions by Whitney, the whole subject of publishing rights was now on Dolly's mind.

So, it was at this time, the 90's is when Dolly started recalling how Elvis wanted the song, but his people wanted the publishing, and if she had taken the deal
she would have lost millions of dollars on the Whitney verison.
And I have observed Dolly to have a phenomenal memory time and again.
Chronologically this makes sense.
Last edited by ekenee on Sun May 19, 2013 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun May 19, 2013 8:49 pm

paulwood wrote:It could be Dolly is twisting the truth a little on this one to make it look like a wise business decision to turn down Elvis and keep all the rights to a song that in later years made her a lot of money. I always understood that Elvis wanted to record Coat of Many Colors but in more recent times the story has changed to I Will Always Love You. Dolly would have made plenty of money from Elvis' recording both ( even with a reduced cut) and she would have had the honour of him recording one of her songs as well. She had every right to hold onto the rights of her songs. If it was I Will Always Love You Elvis wanted to record it was a wise business move by Dolly...if it was Coat of Many Colours. Not so wise. I don't think she needs to make it about money all she has to say her songs are too personal to give up. Even to Elvis.

It wouldn't have been wise for Dolly Parton to give up any publishing rights just so Elvis could sing a cover version of it.

Elvis covered many songs in his career that he just might as well have retired if Parker was starting that crap.

Could you imagine Colonel Parker calling up Paul Simon and asking him for 50% of ''Bridge over Troubled water'' just so Elvis could sing it live on stage.

or calling up John Fogerty and asking him for 50% of the publishing on ''Proud Mary'' just so Elvis could perform it in concert.

At least asking for publishing on songs that hadn't been hits made a little more sense.

Elvis recording the songs is an honor but no one would be stupid enough to give up publishing on songs that they already had hits with.

Sun May 19, 2013 8:53 pm

minkahed wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

What a waste ...

March 1972 at RCA Hollywood was a special recording date for "Burning Love" and those other two and, with a stunning master of "Coat of Many Colors," it might have left us with the impression that it was his finest session of the '70s.

Wed May 22, 2013 10:48 am

I wouldn't be surprised if Elvis had an interest in both songs.

Dolly's memory is usually very good. She famously memorized the entire script for 9 to 5 prior to filming the movie, even the lines of the other cast members.

On the other hand, using I Will Always Love You as the subject of the story produces a better punchline. She told the story onstage during her concert tour in 2004 and concluded that making millions of dollars off of the Whitney Houston cover, "I'm glad I don't have to split this money with Priscilla and Lisa Marie!"