Off Topic Messages

Re: Angelina Jolie has double mastectomy

Thu May 16, 2013 6:26 am

She is a very brave woman, indeed. I wish her well and a very speedy recovery. Hopefully, this will continue an important dialogue and ultimately save other lives.

rlj

Thu May 16, 2013 4:30 pm

brian wrote:
memfisking wrote:
brian wrote:It's weird because women get a double mastectomy after they've been diagnosed with breast cancer not when they don't have it.

Now watch Angelina Jolie never get cancer.

Yep. You are an idiot!

Mempisking, grow up and stop being a jerk for once in your life.

I don't expect everyone on this board to agree with my point of view but everyone should be respectful of others even if they have a different opinion.

I know for a fact that a lot of people think Memphisking is an idiot and that he never contributes anything positive to this board but i've always defended him.

I guess that might be too much to ask of Memphisking and The Pirate because they don't seem to have the intelligence and they don't seem to be articulate enough to debate the issue without childish name calling.

This is one thing i hate about FECC is that if you have a difference of opinion someone will come along and insult you.

A lot of people on FECC and Memphiking included (if that's even his real name) have a very narrow view of everything.

Phew!! Luckily my user name is Memfisking. You must really hate that Memphisking guy. :smt003

brian wrote:
A lot of people on FECC and Memphiking included (if that's even his real name)

p.s It might be useful to check before hitting the submit button when talking about someone elses "intelligence".

Thu May 16, 2013 7:48 pm

I stand corrected.

You are still mean spirited jerk that has the maturity of a twelve year old.

No matter what name you go by.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:35 pm

brian wrote:You are still mean spirited jerk that has the maturity of a twelve year old.

No matter what name you go by.

Wow. That's exactly the same thing i thought when i read the following post.

brian wrote:It's weird because women get a double mastectomy after they've been diagnosed with breast cancer not when they don't have it.

Now watch Angelina Jolie never get cancer.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:48 pm

I didn't mean it that way.

I respect Angelina Jolie's decision and she did what she thought is right for her.

When i first heard about this i thought Angelina Jolie may have been jumping the gun a little bit.

Thu May 16, 2013 10:20 pm

I'm not the biggest Angelina Jolie fan, but I've gotta add my kudos. It was a brave decision. And selfless as she did it for her children. Rjm: most men do make a decision to undergo a form of male castration. It starts with the words "I do."

Thu May 16, 2013 10:26 pm

Pete Dube wrote:It starts with the words "I do."

Not always true, Pete. I have been married for 30 years, I am proud to say.

They have absolutely been the happiest years of her life.

Thu May 16, 2013 10:32 pm

Rob wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:It starts with the words "I do."

Not always true, Pete. I have been married for 30 years, I am proud to say.

They have absolutely been the happiest years of her life.

And to keep it that way Rob, I strongly advise you to never let her know about SnuggleswithRobInc. Plausible Deniability!

Sat May 18, 2013 10:56 pm

Are the tests only available to people who can afford them? What other cancers can be predicted so accurately?
It's astonishing that they can say she has an 87% chance of getting breast cancer. Faced with those sort of odds, i doubt anyone would not have surgery.

Sun May 19, 2013 6:36 am

jungleroombear wrote:Are the tests only available to people who can afford them? What other cancers can be predicted so accurately?
It's astonishing that they can say she has an 87% chance of getting breast cancer. Faced with those sort of odds, i doubt anyone would not have surgery.

If you google "personalized medicine" there's a lot more information about it. In addition to "tests," it looks at and analyzes all available data (such as genetics, statistics, etc.) so that a person can make an informed decision.

It's a pro-active, aggressive approach -- as opposed to being re-active and waiting to become another victim. Though still in its infancy (and therefore, expensive), it does make perfect sense.

http://ageofpersonalizedmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/angelina-jolie-lends-her-voice-and-experience-to-personalized-medicine/

Sun May 19, 2013 7:54 am

Cryogenic wrote:
MaryAnn wrote:Cryo, all due respect as I have been enjoying your posts very much. But, I DO think she did it solely for her children, her husband, and herself. Whatever "message" she has sent by this radical course of action is a mere by-product of this very personal decision.

Yes, that's a fair point.

First and foremost, we tend to do things for ourselves, then our friends and family, then our wider community, and rarely, our country, then other countries of the world (chiefly, "third world"; even the very label suggests a cognitive dissonance toward suffering), and finally, rarest of all, the planet on which we all live (and are rapidly defacing and destroying -- because this is lowest on our list of concerns).

Yet, because Angelina Jolie is so famous, and revered for -- we have to be honest about this; and AJ can surely be under no delusions -- her image/looks, coming clean about this will, hopefully, yield some net positive effect.

I think there are two separate elements to this: actually doing it, and then, as a public figure, deciding to share that with the public. In the latter case, I would agree that she did that for people other than her immediate family, friends, and herself. But the doing of it? That was for her.

Public figures do have this difficult choice in similar situations: do they keep something that is "personal," but which affects millions, to themselves? They certainly have a right to do so. It can be embarrassing, and one's family can be harmed as well, by public knowledge of many such choices.

So, when dealing with disclosure of such personal issues, I would say it's courageous to talk about it, to reveal it. That is done for "the greater good."

Of course, as was discussed, if it is for "the greater good," the people in "the world out there" will wonder how on Earth they could ever afford this particular personal decision. At least in the States.

Next year, the Affordable Care Act comes into play, and it affects me: I will be using an exchange to choose a new policy. It's good that the choice will be available, but . . . there's no such thing as a free lunch. Well, maybe lunch, but not quality healthcare. If you are self-employed, or in any other way "individual," it will still be an expensive choice, unless you want to go for Medicaid. Neither an HMO nor Medicaid is an option I'd care to entertain. A good plan will be expensive, and so I can only choose "the best possible" plan. So, something like this is, and will remain, expensive for most people. And that's a crying shame: that she couldn't do "more good" with the disclosure than she did.

rjm

Sun May 19, 2013 2:09 pm

MaryAnn wrote:
jungleroombear wrote:Are the tests only available to people who can afford them? What other cancers can be predicted so accurately?

If you google "personalized medicine" there's a lot more information about it. In addition to "tests," it looks at and analyzes all available data (such as genetics, statistics, etc.) so that a person can make an informed decision.

It's a pro-active, aggressive approach -- as opposed to being re-active and waiting to become another victim. Though still in its infancy (and therefore, expensive), it does make perfect sense.

http://ageofpersonalizedmedicine.wordpress.com/2013/05/16/angelina-jolie-lends-her-voice-and-experience-to-personalized-medicine/

Thanks for the interesting link. It would be brilliant if in 20 years time such diseases were a thing of the past... also, imagine the savings to the health industry!