Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: James' guitar solo on Promised Land

Fri May 17, 2013 12:30 am

Did Chuck Berry ever voice his opinion on this particular recording? It's obvious that Elvis held the artistry of Berry in high regard from the beginning until the end of his career. Didn't he sometimes refer to James Burton jokingly as "Chuck Berry"? What did Chuck think of Elvis, besides the 2 known quotes (*)? Did he ever elaborate on the subject of Elvis?

Did he for example go and see Elvis in Vegas while he himself played there? I know Elvis went to see Berry and supposedly shouted out songs he wanted Chuck to play (which sounds a out-of-charachter thing for Elvis to do, as he was always modest around other entertainers).

(*)

Chuck Berry about Elvis Presley quotes: "Blacks didn't have the air-waves Elvis had. He delivered what he obtained beautifully."

"Describe Elvis Presley? He was the greatest who ever was, is or ever will be."

From the great Alan Hanson website, which merits more than 1 visit:

"Berry wrote the song while incarcerated in federal prison in 1961-62 for violating the Mann Act. He recalls that prison officials were reluctant to help with his latest songwriting project. ”I remember having extreme difficulty while writing ‘Promised Land’ in trying to secure a road atlas of the United States to verify the routing of the Po’ boy from Norfolk, Virginia, to Los Angeles. The penal institutions then were not so generous as to offer a map of any kind, for fear of providing the route for an escape.”"

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis ... songs.html

Fri May 17, 2013 12:56 am

Kylan wrote:Elvis' exhortation to "aww get on it" is the cherry on the masterful sundae that is promised land. In my top 5 fav Elvis recordings.

From the cracking bass-string intro and the "aww get on it" (agree it's the cherry on the cake!) to that final blistering solo, this classic just does not let up. Burning Love aside, Elvis did not produce anything as irresistible as this anytime in the 70s.

A stone-cold Presley classic that seems to be known only to the fans (even after it's outing in Men In Black).

Fri May 17, 2013 1:45 am

"Promised Land" is, hands down, Elvis' finest 1970s rocker. If only the spirit, production and material could have kept up the rest of the time.

Sat May 18, 2013 1:01 pm

i missed reading it here somewhere if it was written......but why was the elvis harmony version not included on the ftd of promised land?

Sun May 19, 2013 4:12 am

matilda wrote:i missed reading it here somewhere if it was written......but why was the elvis harmony version not included on the ftd of promised land?

No idea, but you can hear the entire version on Unedited Masters: Stax '73 (Venus, August 2011).

Sun May 19, 2013 5:27 am

matilda wrote:i missed reading it here somewhere if it was written......but why was the elvis harmony version not included on the ftd of promised land?

They included the original master and the undubbed master. Both discs are full of music (Playing time: CD1 79:22, CD2 78:39). If they included a third version of the master take some other music on the release would have to go.

Sun May 19, 2013 5:36 am

Is the harmony version included on "This Is Elvis" the full version?

Sun May 19, 2013 10:51 am

mick967 wrote:Is the harmony version included on "This Is Elvis" the full version?

Nope, it's an edit (1:57 running time) and was actually the very first version of the song I've ever heard. So when I finally got to hear the album version a couple of years later, I was disappointed in the first place but I prefer it now.

There you go, a rip from my quite worn vinyl "This Is Elvis" LP:

Promised Land (Edited version with harmony vocal overdub).wav (File size: 20 MB)
http://www39.zippyshare.com/v/54453193/file.html

Sun May 19, 2013 11:05 am

Thanks Lucky. That's great. I wonder why they decided to edit it and not use the full track? IIRC, it was not even credited on the album as being any different to the standard release.

I think the vocal overdub version was also used in the "Men In Black" movie, but I'm not sure if it made it to the soundtrack album. If it did, it would be interesting to see which version was used and how long it ran for.

Sun May 19, 2013 11:14 am

You're welcome, Mick.

Not too sure about "Men In Black" but IIRC they used the regular album master in the film.

The only notes for "Promised Land" on the "This Is Elvis" album were the running time (1:57) and the recording date ("Recorded December 15, 1973").
In fact, they also used edited versions of "Too Much Monkey Business" and "I've Got A Thing About You, Baby" on that one. No idea why they did.
Somehow it's a really strange release but I always liked it.

Sun May 19, 2013 11:52 am

thanks for all the insightful answers.
i think the duet version is inferior to the single/normal version.
the overdub of elvis second voice is unsuitable and actually takes the drive in his vocal attack a little bit away.
still it would have been more suitable for completeness to have it on the ftd.....even if it would have meant to take take the undubbed version out...which doesn't sound that different anyway...

Sun May 19, 2013 11:57 am

I'm pretty sure one fine day we'll see an FTD release of "This Is Elvis". But then the complaints will continue because for historical reasons they'll probably include the edited version. But there's always VENUS... :mrgreen:

Sun May 19, 2013 12:40 pm

it should have belonged on the ftd of pl.....even if they would have taken out an undubbed version of one of the tracks....in this case they did not sound that different.

an ftd of this is elvis.... :(
please don't.

Sun May 19, 2013 12:43 pm

by the way...they could have released take 1 too...and mute the x-rated word on it....which i siuppose is the reason ftd did not include take 1 of promised land.

Sun May 19, 2013 1:59 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:I'm pretty sure one fine day we'll see an FTD release of "This Is Elvis".

An official CD release of "This Is Elvis" is long overdue. I loved that album and played it over and over. The packaging was first rate and as for the music, there were quite a few unreleased gems. Some of these (but I wouldn't be able to tell you which ones) have still not seen an official CD release, 32 years after release of the album.

Sun May 19, 2013 7:52 pm

matilda wrote:by the way...they could have released take 1 too...and mute the x-rated word on it....which i siuppose is the reason ftd did not include take 1 of promised land.

I've been told it was excluded due to lack of space on the CD's.

Sun May 19, 2013 9:36 pm

only because of that?..i am sure the fans would have substituted another track for this one to be included

Sun May 19, 2013 10:29 pm

[/quote]by Rockin_John » Thu May 16, 2013 7:10 pm

Elvis' version of the song is waaaaaay to short. It shows how "bad" Felton was as a producer, but by God the track rocks! Can never listen to this song just once, always atleast 2 times in row....
Keep on Rockin'

Yeah, like Elvis' version of Johnny B. Goode (as with a lot of his other covers) he leaves out a verse :(

Sun May 19, 2013 10:50 pm

Love Promised Land - definitely in my top 25 of Elvis' best!!!.......................I too am waiting for a great multi-track live recording.................maybe one day?..................the live soundboards do not do it justice.................the audience recordings give it life.................still waiting for a great live recording tho'........................no matter how you try to "fix up" the soundboards you can't beat the studio versions................... :D

Mon May 20, 2013 11:43 am

For those who missed it the first time:

Promised Land (Takes 1 - 6 [undubbed master]).mp3 (File size: 37 MB)
http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/90485712/file.html

Promised Land (Take 6 [master] - 4 different mixes).mp3 (File size: 28 MB)
http://www21.zippyshare.com/v/45379154/file.html

Mon May 20, 2013 12:11 pm

The PROMISED LAND Version from This Is Elvis with the Harmony Overdub can also be found on the READERS DIGEST 5 CD Box THE LEGEND LIVES ON. Made in UK or Portugal, Germany or Mexico. It's the Edited 1,57min Version.

http://www.elvisoncd.com/eigenecd/CD/t/ ... 5-g87.html

Mon May 20, 2013 2:01 pm

I know it's just me, but Elvis' vocal overdub sounds a lot like Charlie.

Mon May 20, 2013 2:49 pm

Thanks for the info Andy, I read this recently on Keith Flynn's site. Also there's this bootleg album of "This Is Elvis" floating around somewhere...

@Mick: No, it's not just you. Took me a long, long time to figure out it's Elvis doing the harmony vocal and not Charlie. :facep:

Mon May 20, 2013 9:52 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks for the info Andy, I read this recently on Keith Flynn's site. Also there's this bootleg album of "This Is Elvis" floating around somewhere...

@Mick: No, it's not just you. Took me a long, long time to figure out it's Elvis doing the harmony vocal and not Charlie. :facep:

I thought it was Charlie too...

Mon May 20, 2013 9:55 pm

JimmyCool wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:Took me a long, long time to figure out it's Elvis doing the harmony vocal and not Charlie. :facep:

I thought it was Charlie too...

So did Charlie!