Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

FTD Stay Away, Joe Excellent!!!!!!.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:11 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

I received a couple of days ago the new FTD release of Stay Away, Joe and thought I will start a new topic on this excellent cd because it deserves it! 8). What a pleasant cd we get with an outstanding sound quality and nice booklet. It´s already one of my all time favourite FTD releases and love the loose feeling on the song: Too Much Monkey Bussiness Take-3 :smt007. No, it is not perfect but that's just me because I would have giving it a 5 ***** if it was released as a 2 cd set :wink:.

Although this 1 cd set is almost full to the brim, the 5 or 6 minutes left out could have included some more outtakes or at least the 2 commercial spots that are displayed inside the booklet. This was done before like on the FTD releases of "Tickle Me" and "Love Letters From Elvis".

There were so many outtakes left out that it could have been easily a 2 cd set, but thanks we still have some great import cds like: The American Way Vol 5-Goin' Home to Memphis, Come What May or Elvis-A Legendary Performer Vol 7 8).

Or if there still was room left after the outtakes mentioned, it would have been great if they had included the very rare radio show made for promotion of the movie and that is displayed inside of the booklet as well.

It looks like this promo radio show is in the hands of Elvis author/expert/collector Mr. Jerry Osborne.

phpBB [video]

The booklet mentioned that no record was ever released of the soundtrack except an Asian EP bootleg release in late 60´s. Well I have to disagree on this because in the 80´s there was an official EP released by RCA Australia with 4 songs :roll: .

I recall reading several days ago in a topic posted by a FECC member that the original single edit of Stay Away was not included :shock:.

I have checked it and it is indeed not in this FTD release but thanks to collectors we will always have the original records and here it is for you to enjoy! :wink:

http://www44.zippyshare.com/v/99659812/file.html

Finally I would like to conclude this topic stating that this excellent cd release shows that FTD can easily put out the soundtrack of the movie Flaming Star on it's own 8). Mr. Ernst Jorgensen please bring it on!. Your opinions on this release are greatly appreciated, please share. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: FTD Stay Away, Joe Excellent!!!!!!.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Excellent post, Mike. However, it has been known for years that Flaming Star can, should, and must be a 1-CD classic album, just like Wild in the Country, Follow That Dream, and Kid Galahad. They have loads of outtakes for that movie.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:19 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:The booklet mentioned that no record was ever released of the soundtrack except an Asian EP bootleg release in late 60´s. Well I have to disagree on this because in the 80´s there was an official EP released by RCA Australia with 4 songs :roll: .

So a posthumous release then.

Thu May 16, 2013 3:24 pm

Where's "Lovely Mamie"??? :D

All kidding aside, I got to listen to Take 3 of "Too Much Monkey Business" also and immediately loved it!

Oh how I wish I could listen to the full unedited session(s) just once in my life... :cry:

Thu May 16, 2013 3:35 pm

Ken Jensen wrote:Excellent post, Mike. However, it has been known for years that Flaming Star can, should, and must be a 1-CD classic album, just like Wild in the Country, Follow That Dream, and Kid Galahad. They have loads of outtakes for that movie.

Thanks!. Yes I know, but still some want this to be paired with Love Me Tender :roll: . Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 16, 2013 4:19 pm

What's the difference in the original single edit of Stay Away?

Thu May 16, 2013 4:52 pm

Mike C wrote:What's the difference in the original single edit of Stay Away?

Well it is in glorious Mono and shorter :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 16, 2013 5:38 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Ken Jensen wrote:Excellent post, Mike. However, it has been known for years that Flaming Star can, should, and must be a 1-CD classic album, just like Wild in the Country, Follow That Dream, and Kid Galahad. They have loads of outtakes for that movie.

Thanks!. Yes I know, but still some want this to be paired with Love Me Tender :roll: . Bye for now :smt006.

I rather have them separate Mike, both sessions have totally different atmospheres and there are some 4 years in between. Would be very unlike FTD-thing to do...

Thu May 16, 2013 5:51 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Mike C wrote:What's the difference in the original single edit of Stay Away?

Well it is in glorious Mono and shorter :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Between the two, I would always choose stereo and the less edited (longer) versionn every time!

1. The long version includes the short versionn.
2. One can alway use the "mono" switch on their preamp! (I know some mono mixes were different though)

Thu May 16, 2013 5:58 pm

Mike Windgren wrote: (...) I have checked it and it is indeed not in this FTD release but thanks to collectors we will always have the original records and here it is for you to enjoy! :wink:

Finally I would like to conclude this topic stating that this excellent cd release shows that FTD can easily put out the soundtrack of the movie Flaming Star on it's own 8). Mr. Ernst Jorgensen please bring it on!. Your opinions on this release are greatly appreciated, please share. Thanks!. Bye for now :smt006.

Thanks for this! Never heard the original mono single before. I'm not too big a fan of mono sound to be honest although some of the mixes are quite interesting in their approach.
Regarding this specific recording I much prefer the stereo version with the longer fade-out and Elvis singing along with the melody. That adds quite a bit to this song for my personal taste. And as skatterbrane pointed out you can always edit this longer version down to the single edit. Not so sure the "mono switch" thing will work all the time. I remember that "Heart of Rome" was sounding pretty different in its mix on the single than the stereo version did and I don't think a plain fold-down would do much to change that, but of course I'm absolutely no expert in these things.
Anyway after giving the sample from the "Stay away" single a listen I felt that it ran too fast or was at the wrong pitch. Maybe you can check that?

Thu May 16, 2013 6:34 pm

niobeh wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote: (...) I have checked it and it is indeed not in this FTD release but thanks to collectors we will always have the original records and here it is for you to enjoy! :wink:

Thanks for this! Never heard the original mono single before. I'm not too big a fan of mono sound to be honest although some of the mixes are quite interesting in their approach.
Regarding this specific recording I much prefer the stereo version with the longer fade-out and Elvis singing along with the melody. That adds quite a bit to this song for my personal taste. And as skatterbrane pointed out you can always edit this longer version down to the single edit. Not so sure the "mono switch" thing will work all the time. I remember that "Heart of Rome" was sounding pretty different in its mix on the single than the stereo version did and I don't think a plain fold-down would do much to change that, but of course I'm absolutely no expert in these things.
Anyway after giving the sample from the "Stay away" single a listen I felt that it ran too fast or was at the wrong pitch. Maybe you can check that?

You are welcome!. I'm sorry I don't have the way to correct the pitch :oops:, it's just the way it is :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:17 pm

Just listened to the disc and must agree take 3 of Too Much Monkey Business is so cool! Love It!

However, why not release the complete Wings Of An Angel? Why just a edited tease??? :facep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A9AxmSn6slc

Thu May 16, 2013 9:21 pm

Matthew wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:The booklet mentioned that no record was ever released of the soundtrack except an Asian EP bootleg release in late 60´s. Well I have to disagree on this because in the 80´s there was an official EP released by RCA Australia with 4 songs :roll: .

1006496v.jpg

Yup. The notes are clearly written n regards to the span of Elvis' active career, not what came after he died.

The new FTD release is indeed excellent. It makes the most of what is a soundtrack both good ("Stay Away," "All I Needed Was The Rain") and not-so-good ("Stay Away, Joe," "Goin' Home"). But squeezing out every last second of the disc space would make for a far more boring album, and I'm so glad the producer agreed. Sebastian Jeannson's audio work is fabulous, as usual. The art direction and overall design is terrific. It's a must for the serious Presley fan.

Otherwise ...

The more I hear the January 1968 session, the more it seems this was one very weird recording date. Something was happening between the takes, if you know what I mean. It should be noted that Elvis was in great personal transition (artistry reemerging, child due in two weeks) and it would be the last time he ever worked at Nashville's Studio B with the "A" Team. Jerry Reed's playing is stunning, he elevates every track with his energy and innovation. He helps Elvis regain the swagger that was second nature in 1956-57-58.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:25 pm

Rockin_John wrote:However, why not release the complete Wings Of An Angel? Why just a edited tease???

Because the producers put Elvis' artistic legacy above one-off, never-intended-for-public-consumption, backroom humour.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:45 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

1006496v.jpg

Yup. The notes are clearly written n regards to the span of Elvis' active career, not what came after he died.

The new FTD release is indeed excellent. It makes the most of what is a soundtrack both good ("Stay Away," "All I Needed Was The Rain") and not-so-good ("Stay Away, Joe," "Goin' Home"). But squeezing out every last second of the disc space would make for a far more boring album, and I'm so glad the producer agreed. Sebastian Jeannson's audio work is fabulous, as usual. The art direction and overall design is terrific. It's a must for the serious Presley fan.

Otherwise ...

The more I hear the January 1968 session, the more it seems this was one very weird recording date. Something was happening between the takes, if you know what I mean. It should be noted that Elvis was in great personal transition (artistry reemerging, child due in two weeks) and it would be the last time he ever worked at Nashville's Studio B with the "A" Team. Jerry Reed's playing is stunning, he elevates every track with his energy and innovation. He helps Elvis regain the swagger that was second nature in 1956-57-58.

Anyway, if the FTD team had the time to find out about the EP bootleg release and decided to include it in the booklet. It would have been cool finding out in the booklet that the only ever EP soundtrack of this movie was officialy released by RCA Australia n the 80´s :roll:. It is just a extra little info :wink:. Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 16, 2013 10:10 pm

I really enjoyed this release...the sessions have a loose atmosphere and everyone seems to have a good time..even Dominic has its charm..in the context of the sessions it just fits. unexpected nice release..thanks Ernst and Roger !

Thu May 16, 2013 10:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

1006496v.jpg

Otherwise ...

partaking of the marihoochie perhaps? or something stronger?

Thu May 16, 2013 10:50 pm

Mike Windgren wrote:Anyway, if the FTD team had the time to find out about the EP bootleg release and decided to include it in the booklet. It would have been cool finding out in the booklet that the only ever EP soundtrack of this movie was officialy released by RCA Australia n the 80´s :roll:. It is just a extra little info .

The 1968 Thai EP may have been cited in the RCA files, and not required any additional research. Otherwise, as noted, information included in the FTD collections focus on Elvis' active career. To include "extra" info, such as posthumous releases from the 1980s, would be a mistake. That's why it is not there. ;-)

Hope you enjoy the music on the disc, I sure do!

Thu May 16, 2013 10:54 pm

Kylan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Yup. The notes are clearly written n regards to the span of Elvis' active career, not what came after he died.

Otherwise ...

partaking of the marihoochie perhaps? or something stronger?

You've been a member of this forum for a decade. We all live for the day you just once string together four coherent, thoughtful sentences, ones that say something nice about the topic, or those members whose comments make an effort to contribute something of value.

Good luck!

Thu May 16, 2013 11:07 pm

Hi there :D :D :D.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:Anyway, if the FTD team had the time to find out about the EP bootleg release and decided to include it in the booklet. It would have been cool finding out in the booklet that the only ever EP soundtrack of this movie was officialy released by RCA Australia n the 80´s :roll:. It is just a extra little info .

The 1968 Thai EP may have been cited in the RCA files, and not required any additional research. Otherwise, as noted, information included in the FTD collections focus on Elvis' active career. To include "extra" info, such as posthumous releases from the 1980s, would be a mistake. That's why it is not there. ;-)

Hope you enjoy the music on the disc, I sure do!

I sure do too!. I already mentioned above it's one of my all-time favourite FTD releases 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Thu May 16, 2013 11:32 pm

Thanks a lot for the upload, Mike! If I find the time (maybe on the weekend) I'll do the pitch correction for you.

IIRC, the shorter mono version of "Stay Away" was included on the "Almost In Love" album (later pressings).

Thu May 16, 2013 11:33 pm

Then give it 5 stars already. It didn't need to be a 2xCD set. ;-)

Fri May 17, 2013 12:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Then give it 5 stars already. It didn't need to be a 2xCD set. ;-)

No, I´m sorry just a 4.9 **** for me :wink:. If they had incuded at least more outtakes of Goin´Home and Too Much Monkey Bussiness then I would have called it awesome :smt005 . Bye for now :smt006.

Fri May 17, 2013 12:30 am

Kylan :smt003
Mike : 4.9 is an autstanding grade for an oustanding release.

Fri May 17, 2013 2:06 am

luckyjackson1 wrote:Thanks a lot for the upload, Mike! If I find the time (maybe on the weekend) I'll do the pitch correction for you.

IIRC, the shorter mono version of "Stay Away" was included on the "Almost In Love" album (later pressings).

Yes please do it for all of us to enjoy! 8). Bye for now :smt006.