Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Wed May 15, 2013 1:52 am

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Elvis' best seafood song was Crawfish. I wonder how Song Of The Shrimp would be looked at today had it been part of the King Creole soundtrack?

The premise of the songs are completely different: Crawfish is a tongue-in-cheek song of a man waxing lyrical about his delicious dinner. Song Of The Shrimp is about a personified shrimp family - totally bizarre. Either that or it's about a man tripping on LSD.

Is the movie Girls! Girls! Girls!, or The Little Mermaid? Answers on a postcard...

I love Crawfish. I think one of the great movie songs ever. Even a tongue-in-cheek songs from the 50's had more going for it than the 60's ones. Elvis may have had a better ,smoother voice in the 60's, but the performance of a song like Crawfish outshines it. The vocal is just better on all accounts. Maybe it is just the youth in his voice. That and the fact that the material in the 60's just began to bore him.

Wed May 15, 2013 2:00 am

Man this thread just makes me laugh.

Wed May 15, 2013 2:49 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Cryogenic wrote:
Steve Morse wrote:That's a great outtake of, "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here", Cryo. Delicious, in fact, and the Spanish opening is so much better than the pure instrumental used on the master. I'd take the Fun In Acapulco soundtrack in preference to any soundboard recording (with the odd few exceptions), any day of the week.

I've always loved the, "Your troubles like bubbles . . . ." sequence.

Indeed. It's unbelievably better -- IMO -- than the master track. While Elvis sounds like he's in a trance on the master, this alternate is bubbly, conversational, and much more free-spirited. You're right about that opening, too. It kinda sets the mood for the entire take. When I first heard this alternate, I immediately warmed to this song, where previously I was indifferent.

I like the "bubbles" sequence, too. In fact, this alternate take is a good demonstration of the extra detail you get when the sound quality is there and Elvis is singing well. You can hear him making these little groans and asides at the end of certain lines in this take. The second time he sings "your troubles like bubbles will soon disappear in the air", listen carefully: a little "mmm!", following the bell sound (2:02), is clearly audible. I love that.

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thanks!. Another nice song, love it :smt007. Mr.Jorgensen please bring us an updated 2 cd set of this lovely soundtrack 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Hi, Mike!

Yes, "Fun In Acapulco" is one that should be re-visited, I think.

Glad you liked that outtake.

elvisalisellers wrote:The "Fun In Acapulco" soundtrack is a very underrated and skillfully crafted album, that gets a bit lost in the Elvis canon, simply because its a "soundtrack album."

Expertly engineered with marvellous room acoustics, it is doubtful if Elvis ever surpassed his outstanding vocals, for sheer technique, during January of 1963.

It sounds like he was flying high in the FIA sessions, for sure.

And yes, maybe a bit more TLC was put into the recording of this one.

I still say, however, that his best year, vocally, was 1962, and I offer both "Pot Luck" and "Girls! Girls! Girls!" as proof. But it's all down to personal opinion.

BTW, another couple of very decent movie song outtakes (IMO) . . . this time, from "Girl Happy":

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I think one respondent to the "Puppet On A String" video puts it with great felicity: "The most fascinating voice ever" (emphasis mine).

He sounds supremely sensual in the top cut, and quite vulnerable -- in that soulful way -- in the latter.

Now, these are the sorts of songs that we might have heard coming out of his mainstream pop albums were he still making any at the time, but since he wasn't, it falls to the movie soundtracks to fill in that gap -- however fitfully they do. And . . . they do. Especially with tracks like these.

On these songs, you can already hear his voice beginning to darken, and you can maybe discern the first signs of strain, I think, but it adds a magical effect. His singing is so delicate and precise in these takes. It's a real treat.

And no, I do not regard these cuts as "garbage". These ballads are soft, subtle; they envelop you. We get another little shade to Elvis here and I think it's wonderful. In "Puppet On A String", you can even hear him inhaling and clicking his tongue against his palate. The songs have a very intimate feel due to the arrangements, the dry -- but warm -- sound, and the beautifully understated way Elvis sings on them. He takes a very subtle approach, like he's lightly blowing away lint from your face, or singing right next to your ear. The movie era may have stifled him, but it also allowed him to explore a number of genres and styles, and it ultimately set the scene (pun intended), as said earlier, for the "Comeback Special". And what Elvis fan would be without that?

So, it's subjective, certainly, and within this subjective realm, one can take a glass half-empty/half-full approach. The complete spectrum of movie songs is quite the rugged, patchwork quilt. And this is merely one chapter -- albeit, a fairly long way -- in a pretty dynamic and luminous career. One last time, IMO.

Thanks again for these two new examples, you have a very good taste 8). Regarding Girls!, Girls!, Girls!, what about the next song?, isn´t he is absolutely great? :wink:.

As stated before by me on another topic, this is very Spanish with some steps of Flamenco (Spain) and Tango (Argentina). Even little Elvis liked it :smt005 smt174. Elvis, Torero bravo, Olé!!!!!!!. Bye for now :smt006

phpBB [video]

Wed May 15, 2013 2:57 am

ekenee wrote:If you notice the doctor or Midnightx or any of the other negative haters out there ...

Yes, I am definitely a "negative hater" -- I always look towards the best of Elvis Presley. ;-)

Wed May 15, 2013 3:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:If you notice the doctor or Midnightx or any of the other negative haters out there ...

Yes, I am definitely a "negative hater" -- I always look towards the best of Elvis Presley. ;-)

You make my point.

Yes, a negative hater, when referring to a fun, catchy, calypso number as garbage.

I look forward to it all, not the just the best. I support the label and I will buy anything unreleased.

I don't care if it is a long lost jam on "my boy". I want to hear it at least once.

I want to hear how Elvis tackled "Feelings"

I am curious to see how he would sound on "Tiger man" in 1954.

I await more home recorded gems.

I look forward to concerts that offer something different.

I can't wait to hear the outtakes of "Dominic".

I am a real Elvis fan, not a fair weather fan only interested in the "best" of Elvis.

But hey, that's how I roll.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:22 am

I'll take Song Of The Shrimp over Mr Songman any day. And Mr Songman cannot hide behind a movie script for its reason to be recorded by Elvis. And Three Corn Patches? It is as if Leiber and Stoller wanted to push the envelope on how far they can make fun of the southern rural culture on that one!

Wed May 15, 2013 3:24 am

We don't need no education

Wed May 15, 2013 3:28 am

The thing is, there is no reason to have hard feeling over someone NOT liking a song, any more than one would give someone a hard time FOR liking a song.

A little humor and banter is great, poke a little fun. But I say it is equally strange that someone would have trouble not liking a song as liking a song.

I see people here that just don't get why anyone would not like EVERY Elvis song. And on the other hand I see people astonished that someone WOULD like certain Elvis songs.

I find it much easier to enjoy the worst of the 60s soundtracks over the worst of the post 1970 material. I would MUCH rather listen to Spinout than Elvis Now, or Fool Album or Raised On Rock album. (Or Promised Land, or Today or EP Boulevard, or Moody Blue......,or ANY album after Elvis Country). Had Elvis quit after Elvis Country, he would have left on a high note.

If find Elvis' career after 1970 even more of a let down after the 68 Comeback, FEIM, Elvis Country, as the Movie period was a let down after the 50s and Elvis Is Back. But the decline was more abrupt and turned out to be permanent in the 70s. The bright spots in the 1962-1968 period were MUCH brighter than the bright spots in the 1971-1977 period. Basically, from a strictly critical and objective point of view, Elvis had two great periods, 1954-1962 and 1968-1970.
Last edited by skatterbrane on Wed May 15, 2013 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:31 am

elvisalisellers wrote:I said early-sixties; but if you wish to ignore 1960-61 ...

It doesn't matter what you said. The era I cite is the area being implicitly referenced by greystoke's post. Try reading it again, perhaps more slowly. Then get into the conversation.

elvisalisellers wrote:... that still leaves an array of outstanding material ... from 1962-64:

Suspicion
Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
She's Not You
Return To Sender
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
Bossa Nova Baby
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
Love Me Tonight
Viva Las Vegas
I Need Somebody To Lean On
Memphis Tennessee
It Hurts Me

A generous selection of a dozen tracks in 36 months is hardly "more than enough outstanding material" for the period. It's an example of how far the bar had fallen.

Thanks for underscoring my point. ;-)

Wed May 15, 2013 3:35 am

skatterbrane wrote:I see people here that just don't get why anyone would not like EVERY Elvis song. And on the other hand I see people astonished that someone WOULD like certain Elvis songs.

I see people who cannot tell the difference between the critique of the quality of a song/performance, and an attack on their personal enjoyments.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:38 am

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I see people here that just don't get why anyone would not like EVERY Elvis song. And on the other hand I see people astonished that someone WOULD like certain Elvis songs.

I see people who cannot tell the difference between the critique of the quality of a song/performance, and an attack on their personal enjoyments.

Bingo!

Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 am

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:Elvis' best seafood song was Crawfish. I wonder how Song Of The Shrimp would be looked at today had it been part of the King Creole soundtrack?

The premise of the songs are completely different: Crawfish is a tongue-in-cheek song of a man waxing lyrical about his delicious dinner. Song Of The Shrimp is about a personified shrimp family - totally bizarre. Either that or it's about a man tripping on LSD.

Is the movie Girls! Girls! Girls!, or The Little Mermaid? Answers on a postcard...

I am not comparing those songs in that manner. What I am saying it had Song Of The Shrimp been on King Creole, it probably wound not have been looked down on so harshly. Nor would it if Belafonte had recorded it. Heck if Louis Armstong had recorded it, it would probably been a hit.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:41 am

Maybe we should start a thread on who did My Boy better, Elvis or Richard Harris?

Wed May 15, 2013 3:42 am

skatterbrane wrote:Maybe we should start a thread on who did My Boy better, Elvis or Richard Harris?

It's been done. It was Harris in a landslide.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:50 am

skatterbrane wrote:I am not comparing those songs in that manner. What I am saying it had Song Of The Shrimp been on King Creole, it probably wound not have been looked down on so harshly. Nor would it if Belafonte had recorded it. Heck if Louis Armstong had recorded it, it would probably been a hit.

I doubt a song like Song Of The Shrimp would have ever been presented for a movie like King Creole - unless Danny Fisher was hallucinating from raiding his Dad's medicine cabinet and he started seeing a shrimp ma and pa in the sink.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:52 am

skatterbrane wrote:I'll take Song Of The Shrimp over Mr Songman any day. And Mr Songman cannot hide behind a movie script for its reason to be recorded by Elvis. And Three Corn Patches?

I concur. And Spinout is far better than Elvis Now or Raised On Rock. Now Easy Come Easy Go or PHS?

Wed May 15, 2013 4:05 am

Cryogenic wrote:
On these (Girl Happy) songs, you can already hear his voice beginning to darken, and you can maybe discern the first signs of strain, I think, but it adds a magical effect. His singing is so delicate and precise in these takes. It's a real treat.

Cryo, on the Girl Happy FTD, it is the first time on outtakes I remember Elvis sounding agitated, a little unfocused, and a little slurry in a couple places. He's clearly unhappy and starting to care less. As you say, on these ballads he's still smooth as butter and still singing well and I love Puppet On A String. Just a lovely vocal. Each succeeding soundtrack would be worse for the next few years.

Wed May 15, 2013 4:10 am

I like exactly 1/2 of PHS. And one or two from ECEG Boy, had he recorded Leave My Woman Alone!! I wonder why that song was dropped?

I like You Gotta Stop and She's A Machine, but that one did not come around until the Flaming Star LP.

Frankie And Johnny is my least liked soundtrack. But even it has a couple of good songs, one of them is very good.

Basically my attitude was this at the time, I endured the crap from the 60s soundtracks, and after the comeback and albums through Elvis Country, by the time Elvis Now came out, I decided I was NOT going to put up with crap again coming from Elvis. So Elvis Now was the last LP I bought, having ALL of them up to then.

I now have several incarnations of all his CD titles. Heck I am even going to buy the Stax set coming out. (listen to it once or twice and put it away)

Wed May 15, 2013 4:57 am

Half of PHS is five songs. Sand Castles is like Song Of The Shrimp; you know it shouldn't be an Elvis song but it has some charm. This Is My Heaven, the title song, and what else? I find Drums Of The Islands interminable.

Wed May 15, 2013 5:06 am

stevelecher wrote:Half of PHS is five songs. Sand Castles is like Song Of The Shrimp; you know it shouldn't be an Elvis song but it has some charm. This Is My Heaven, the title song, and what else? I find Drums Of The Islands interminable.

Songs I like from PHS:

This Is My Heaven (favorite)
Stop Where You Are
Sand Castles
House Of Sand
Scratch My Back

Songs I can tolerate:

Drums Of The Islands
Paradise, Hawaiian Style

Songs I rather dislike:

Queenie Wahinie's Papaya
Datin'
A Dog's Life

Wed May 15, 2013 7:35 am

I'm so embarrassed to say, I don't hate House of Sand. It's a bad song and lackluster vocal, but I half like it.

Wed May 15, 2013 7:41 am

stevelecher wrote:I'm so embarrassed to say, I don't hate House of Sand. It's a bad song and lackluster vocal, but I half like it.

How does it compare to "Mystery Train"?

Wed May 15, 2013 12:41 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I said early-sixties; but if you wish to ignore 1960-61 ...

It doesn't matter what you said. The era I cite is the area being implicitly referenced by greystoke's post. Try reading it again, perhaps more slowly. Then get into the conversation.

elvisalisellers wrote:... that still leaves an array of outstanding material ... from 1962-64:

Suspicion
Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
She's Not You
Return To Sender
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
Bossa Nova Baby
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
Love Me Tonight
Viva Las Vegas
I Need Somebody To Lean On
Memphis Tennessee
It Hurts Me

A generous selection of a dozen tracks in 36 months is hardly "more than enough outstanding material" for the period. It's an example of how far the bar had fallen.

Thanks for underscoring my point. ;-)

Disgusting manners.

Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 pm

Matthew wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:I am not comparing those songs in that manner. What I am saying it had Song Of The Shrimp been on King Creole, it probably wound not have been looked down on so harshly. Nor would it if Belafonte had recorded it. Heck if Louis Armstong had recorded it, it would probably been a hit.

I doubt a song like Song Of The Shrimp would have ever been presented for a movie like King Creole - unless Danny Fisher was hallucinating from raiding his Dad's medicine cabinet and he started seeing a shrimp ma and pa in the sink.

There you are, Elvis was so a head of his time, he was even singing hallucination songs 5 years before Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. 8)

Wed May 15, 2013 12:54 pm

Whichever way you look at it, "Song Of The Shrimp" is a beautiful performance of a very nice little song.

Why do all songs have to be about love and heartbreak?

I think it's a cute topic which sits well in the wonderfully executed calypso arrangement.

Calypso often had unusual and/or cute lyrical topics. Why is this any worse than the classic "Yellow bird up high in banana tree"?