Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

James' guitar solo on Promised Land

Tue May 14, 2013 11:50 pm

Ever since I first heard the track, "Promised Land" has been one of my favourite Elvis performances.

One of the sheer delights in listening to this song is the blistering playing of James Burton. It never gets old!

The guitar solo at the end, however, fades just as it gets really interesting.

Does anybody know of a version of this song where that end solo is not cut so quickly?

Re: James' guitar solo on Promised Land

Tue May 14, 2013 11:51 pm

Let me think... I guess the longest version was available on "2nd To None", if I'm not mistaken.

Wed May 15, 2013 12:09 am

It is an awesome piece of work with James pulling out all his Chuck Berry homages.

The solo runs to the end on the finished master, the undubbed master reveals Felton ends the take with "good!" right where the finished mix fade completes.

Wed May 15, 2013 12:49 am

Here's the full length master with the unused harmony vocal overdub:

phpBB [video]

Wed May 15, 2013 6:34 am

Thanks people! Rock n roll......

Wed May 15, 2013 10:40 am

For me, Burton's finest work in the studio with Presley along with I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water and Funny How Time Slips Away.

Wed May 15, 2013 12:51 pm

Delving deeper, here's the "original" outing of that famous "Promised Land" solo - earlier the same year, in the middle of a totally different song.

Either James or Elvis must've dug this and had it in mind when cutting Promised Land.

phpBB [video]

Wed May 15, 2013 1:18 pm

mick967 wrote:Ever since I first heard the track, "Promised Land" has been one of my favourite Elvis performances.

One of the sheer delights in listening to this song is the blistering playing of James Burton. It never gets old!

The guitar solo at the end, however, fades just as it gets really interesting.

Does anybody know of a version of this song where that end solo is not cut so quickly?

Best Version are available on the Promised land 2000 remix (18 tracks) cd,its on "Elvis 70s" cd as well (2001)
The version isnt much longer but the fade-out starts at a later point and fade-out is quicker.
Complete master is also available on bootleg but sadly its a poor mix with piano upfront and guitar almost gone.
The undubbed take6 on FTD PL is cool but the overdubbed master is my favorite....no doubt.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:33 pm

I love this song too (Elvis' version in particular), think it's in the running for the best song Elvis recorded in the 70s. It can sit next to anything else rock bands of the period put out. Chuck Berry songs always brought out the best in Elvis, from the early Maybelline days on the road, through to the Million Dollar Quartet Session ("Brown Eyed Handsome Man"), the interesting Memphis Tennessee and Too Much Monkey Business recordings of the 60s, and the late 60s and early 70s recordings of Johnny B. Goode and Promised Land. And he kept doing those Chuck Berry songs on stage, it even popped up in the orchestra theme ("School Days" aka "Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll").

The words by the best rock 'n' roll writer ever, sang by the best rock 'n' roll singer ever.

Wed May 15, 2013 2:18 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Delving deeper, here's the "original" outing of that famous "Promised Land" solo - earlier the same year, in the middle of a totally different song.

Either James or Elvis must've dug this and had it in mind when cutting Promised Land.

phpBB [video]

Guess who the guitarist is on this recording...
Last edited by Matthew on Wed May 15, 2013 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed May 15, 2013 2:42 pm

londonflash wrote:For me, Burton's finest work in the studio with Presley along with I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water and Funny How Time Slips Away.

Absolutely agree. 40 years later and it still sounds like they made it up in the spot yesterday.

Wed May 15, 2013 3:43 pm

"Take it son ..."

Solo is fantastic ...

Wed May 15, 2013 3:49 pm

Matthew wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Delving deeper, here's the "original" outing of that famous "Promised Land" solo - earlier the same year, in the middle of a totally different song.

phpBB [video]

Guess who the guitarist is on this recording...

Mr. Burton, himself....along with Glen D. Hardin and Ronnie Tutt. Can't remember if Scheff or Wilkinson was on this recording.

(Gram Parsons.....man, what a huge loss to the country-rock scene...)

Wed May 15, 2013 3:55 pm

James27 wrote:I love this song too (Elvis' version in particular), think it's in the running for the best song Elvis recorded in the 70s. It can sit next to anything else rock bands of the period put out. Chuck Berry songs always brought out the best in Elvis, from the early Maybelline days on the road, through to the Million Dollar Quartet Session ("Brown Eyed Handsome Man"), the interesting Memphis Tennessee and Too Much Monkey Business recordings of the 60s, and the late 60s and early 70s recordings of Johnny B. Goode and Promised Land. And he kept doing those Chuck Berry songs on stage, it even popped up in the orchestra theme ("School Days" aka "Hail Hail Rock 'n' Roll").

The words by the best rock 'n' roll writer ever, sang by the best rock 'n' roll singer ever.

So true. Elvis Sings Chuck Berry would have made a great studio LP! Maybe even invite Chuck to play along. Elvis just was not an innovator for such projects.

Wed May 15, 2013 5:35 pm

Since I heard the song for the first time with all its merits..it``s been aone of my faves..just love it..
However,..the live versions can`t capture the magic of the studio recording.

Wed May 15, 2013 6:05 pm

Promised Land. The live versions suck. All of them. But the studio cut is an absolute classic.

And no, Wilkinson and Scheff aren't on the Gram Parsons albums from 1973, but as you say, James, Glen and Ronnie are - along with Emory Gordy.

Great albums by a great artist who died ten minutes before my birth - one of the things that first drew me to him!

Wed May 15, 2013 11:55 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Promised Land. The live versions suck. All of them.

To be fair all we have of the live versions are soundboard and audience recordings. I expect a well mixed multi-track would raise the appreciation a bit.

If only.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:37 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Promised Land. The live versions suck. All of them. But the studio cut is an absolute classic.

And no, Wilkinson and Scheff aren't on the Gram Parsons albums from 1973, but as you say, James, Glen and Ronnie are - along with Emory Gordy.

Great albums by a great artist who died ten minutes before my birth - one of the things that first drew me to him!

#1. I agree wholeheartedly. Nothing will ever top the master track.

#2. Thanks for the info, SLGM. I appreciate it. I have both of Gram's CDs (on a single CD) and I listen to them alot. He and Emmylou Harris were magical together. There have always been rumors of a romance (or the like) between the two but...Emmylou has neither denied or confirmed those rumors.

Thu May 16, 2013 1:49 pm

Matthew wrote:
Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:Promised Land. The live versions suck. All of them.

To be fair all we have of the live versions are soundboard and audience recordings. I expect a well mixed multi-track would raise the appreciation a bit.

If only.

I agree Matthew, I am pretty sure a professional recording would make a big diference although I don´t think it would be as great as the studio recording.

Lennart

Thu May 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Lennart wrote:I agree Matthew, I am pretty sure a professional recording would make a big diference although I don´t think it would be as great as the studio recording.

The pieces all came together for that great master take. The piano overdub really helps the track too.

Thu May 16, 2013 2:58 pm

Matthew wrote:
Lennart wrote:I agree Matthew, I am pretty sure a professional recording would make a big diference although I don´t think it would be as great as the studio recording.

The pieces all came together for that great master take. The piano overdub really helps the track too.

Once again, I agree with you!

Thu May 16, 2013 7:44 pm

It's a shame we don't have multitrack live recordings of not only Promised Land but also T-R-O-U-B-L-E, I'd rather have had the record company put that out instead of O.N. John cover versions.
I agree no existing live version of Promised Land comes close to the excitement of the studio master. I rather like the Dayton '74 afternoon show live version, though, for what it is: a highlight in a rather mediocre show.

Thu May 16, 2013 9:10 pm

Elvis' version of the song is waaaaaay to short. It shows how "bad" Felton was as a producer, but by God the track rocks! Can never listen to this song just once, always atleast 2 times in row....

Fri May 17, 2013 12:11 am

Rockin_John wrote:Elvis' version of the song is waaaaaay to short. It shows how "bad" Felton was as a producer, but by God the track rocks! Can never listen to this song just once, always atleast 2 times in row....

Maybe you've been listening to the "This Is Elvis" edited version...

Fri May 17, 2013 12:22 am

Elvis' exhortation to "aww get on it" is the cherry on the masterful sundae that is promised land. In my top 5 fav Elvis recordings.