Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Girls! Girls! Girls! is Great! Great! Great!

Tue May 14, 2013 6:13 pm

If Harry Belefonte had recorded Song Of The Shrimp, it would have been a hit on the Broadway or Cabaret type audience.

Tue May 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Elvis' best seafood song was Crawfish. I wonder how Song Of The Shrimp would be looked at today had it been part of the King Creole soundtrack?

I completely understand Dr Carpenter's opinion or point of view. Mystery Train vs Song Of The Shrimp. Yeah, I feel that way about many of Elvis' movie songs.

The worst ones come to mind: Confidence, Barefoot Ballad, Yoga Is As Yoga Does, etc But Song Of The Shrimp, while no Reconsider Baby, is still pretty good.

Tue May 14, 2013 6:49 pm

Pete Dube wrote:
ekenee wrote:
The soundtracks for Frankie and johnny, Paradise haw. style, Double trouble, Harem scarem....those are the bottom of the barrel.

Paradise Haw Style? I didn't know the cast of Hee Haw made a film. I gotta seek that film out. I'm dyin' to see Junior Samples surfin'!

That would have made the film a bit of camp and therefore worthy.

Seriously though, I do like, "this is my heaven" and "sand castles".

Somehow along the way, they felt they needed to have Elvis sing to children.

"Big boots"
"How would you like to be"
"Queenie wahinee"
"Confidence"

and so on. They repeated this pattern over and over again. Along with other Elvis movie attributes.

But my point was, those soundtracks were certainly worse than "Girls girls, girls."

And I think I was spot on about the fair weather fans.

If you notice the doctor or Midnightx or any of the other negative haters out there,

they only like songs that were either hits or were critically acclaimed by actual critics.

They are afraid to go out on a limb and "like" something even Elvis liked.

Even when ELvis had the choice to record or not record something he sometimes chose songs that were not that good.

That was Elvis. He had very eclectic tastes.

If you recall, as a teenager he liked, country music, gospel music, blues, rhythm & blues, and Mario Lanza and song from the metropolitian opera.

AS a teenager? How many teens did anyone know that had that wide a taste in music?

Elvis loved music and so he could like, and record, and make us believe, in any type of music he sang, because he could connect and feel the music, which made us feel it too.

----------------------------------------------------------------------
@skatterbrane.

That's my point again, the doctor chose "mystery train" as a comparison. That speaks volumes. He only likes the songs that are universally liked by everyone else.
" Hey look, everyone likes it, so it must be good, so I am going to like too". He is what is called a follower.

Why didn't he take a song like "We're gonna move" from 1956 mind you, and compare it to "song of the shrimp"...they are both soundtracks songs.
We all know the story of the 60's movies and the why and all that, but it happened over years, and so many movies were made over those years, it
took Elvis about 6 or 7 years before he realized, "hollywood's image of me was all wrong". Elvis always hoped things would change.
He had to go thru it, to notice it. He didn't know in 1957 that in the following 10 years he would be singing to children and about Yoga and Papaya.

Tue May 14, 2013 6:59 pm

That's right ekenee, because hindsight is 50/50. Even with the advantage of hindsight, some people would still get it wrong and make the same mistakes over again.

Mystery Train and My Baby Left Me vie for my all time favorite Elvis song. (I just cannot choose between the two) But each and every one of Elvis' soundtracks have at least ONE, if not a half dozen songs I really like, mostly because of Elvis' performance, however a few songs would be good even if Glen Campbell recorded them (and in some cases he DID help make the demos for them)

Now, again, imagine Song Of The Shrimp recorded by Harry Belefonte or alternately recorded for King Creole. Each is stylisitcally feasible.

Tue May 14, 2013 7:29 pm

skatterbrane wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:I think that Girls is better than World's Fair movie but better than both is Fun in Acapulco (in soundtrack and actors like Ursula Andress)

Yep, I was going to say Fun In Acapulco is a pretty fun movie and the songs are generally good and the SOUND of the recording is fantastic.

This is a great outtake:

phpBB [video]

Always with Elvis . . . that great Dionysian spirit.

And here, as you've noted, the sound quality is excellent, and does justice to the supple, dulcet tones of EP's still-youthful voice. Great clarity and warmth!

It's exactly this type of performance, IMO, that exemplifies the "intimate" quality that people often ascribe to EAP -- he alternates between a sing and a whisper, with a remarkable sense of melody and timing, disclosing ineffable romantic truths with invigorating ease.

Songs and performances like these, in my view, are perfectly valid entries in the "Elvis Presley" canon. They are fun, uplifting, salubrious. You can lose yourself in them. The vitality that EP injected into the nascent art form of rock 'n' roll can be heard here, but not just anyone could do this. Here, with more of a loose, disarming Dean Martin swagger, mixed with something deeper and unique to Elvis -- a barely-contained, precocious sense of total abandonment (if Dino was insouciant, Elvis is seriously drunk on love) -- you have the whole Presley mythos (the man who creates as he creates) laid out before you. As great he was at Sun, could he, back then, do this? Could it even have been anticipated? This sense of airy, unflinching fun; gently carving it up as he goes; the sheer unadulterated ease of it. This is why the movie songs matter.

Just my personal opinion.

matilda wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:I don´t care if some consider Song Of The Shrimp as garbage :roll: . For me what it counts is that he sang it beautifully :smt007 I don´t even care for the lyrics. Never ever would Elvis match that range of voice during those 1960-1964 years.

It is a shame Elvis Presley never took the time to beautifully sing the phone book during those 1960-1964 years. Imagine how different his legacy would be today.

a lot of people would have love to hear sing their name, adress and telefonnumber by elvis for sure.
and i think the colonel might have thought about it already.
but the legal department might also have warned him about to many lawsuits by people who did not like their name sung by elvis presley.
plus.....elvis always had problems with the "P" in producing mic pops while singin words with that letter.
so therefore elvis surely had to do alot of overdubbing with the names in the "p" departments.
and we all know how elvis hated overdubbing.....

so the project fell flat....

LMAO!!!

Great follow-up!!!

skatterbrane wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often.

"Earth Boy"? "Song of the Shrimp"? "Mama"? Elvis was a mature artist singing crap like this? Putting "Return to Sender" in the same league with these clunkers is an insult to Elvis Presley's true talent.

I totally agree -- your comments are spot-on.

But I am sure Cryogenic was being ironic. There can be no other logical explanation. ;-)

I wasn't being ironic, ironically. :wink:

Ironically, I think you are -- hmm? :twisted:

You sort of have to take the movie soundtracks for what they are: good, clean fun, where Elvis gets to try out different styles, adopt a kind of Dean Martin-esque swagger, and craft a series of curios that are an apt expression of his upside-down, epicurean lifestyle.

While one can, of course, cherry pick, for either positive or negative ends, his movie song pantheon is, IMO, a highly appealing one, and only really comes in for a drubbing for what Elvis DIDN'T do rather than what he did -- namely, keep the lighter side of his persona/career in check by continuing to record innovative, impassioned pop music (non-movie material) in Studio B or wherever. The movie material should have remained an entertaining sidebar, not become the main focus of his output in a recording studio. But hindsight is always 50-50.

hindsight is always 50-50 :smt003 I will have to remember that one. Sounds like a Yogi Berra quote!

Oh, hush, you! :P

It's an EGGCORN! I (eggs)claim it!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn

skatterbrane wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:

Count me in.

Well, well, well, well...

WEELLLLL.....

This 'lil fan club is sure building!

It ain't no big thing... but it's GROWING!

ekenee wrote:That was Elvis. He had very eclectic tastes.

If you recall, as a teenager he liked, country music, gospel music, blues, rhythm & blues, and Mario Lanza and song from the metropolitian opera.

AS a teenager? How many teens did anyone know that had that wide a taste in music?

Good point there, ekenee.

To answer your question (rhetorical, but hey): not many, probably.

Some may have shared his tastes (already liked the same stuff), but who would have ADMITTED it; and to whom?

This is the thing about Elvis: he didn't mind admitting it. He sang in an open, unconscious way.

Expressing yourself, being honest... this has always been hard and remains so.

skatterbrane wrote:That's right ekenee, because hindsight is 50/50. Even with the advantage of hindsight, some people would still get it wrong and make the same mistakes over again.

Hey, man... you're learning, learning, learning! :)

Mystery Train and My Baby Left Me vie for my all time favorite Elvis song. (I just cannot choose between the two) But each and every one of Elvis' soundtracks have at least ONE, if not a half dozen songs I really like, mostly because of Elvis' performance, however a few songs would be good even if Glen Campbell recorded them (and in some cases he DID help make the demos for them)

I think most people would agree . . . they're a hodge-podge. But that's not a pejorative statement in and of itself.

A lot of the fun, in fact, is in sifting through the pile, and finding your favourites.

Which may remain the same or vary with the wind.

It's all good. Or mediocre, rotten, etc. Take yer pick.

Tue May 14, 2013 8:33 pm

That's a great outtake of, "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here", Cryo. Delicious, in fact, and the Spanish opening is so much better than the pure instrumental used on the master. I'd take the Fun In Acapulco soundtrack in preference to any soundboard recording (with the odd few exceptions), any day of the week.

I've always loved the, "Your troubles like bubbles . . . ." sequence.

Tue May 14, 2013 8:41 pm

I like Song of the Shrimp as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is the Doc!), but there's always going to be a struggle among Elvis fans when it comes to his movies and the soundtracks for those movies -- perhaps even more so, with regards to the soundtracks. Song of the Shrimp is a beautifully sung calyspo that's well arranged and quite charming -- but if Elvis wasn't recording the soundtrack for a movie such as Girls! Girls! Girls!, would he have gone near material of this type?! I suppose the "what if" game is always futile, because he DID record Song of the Shrimp and DID star in Girls! Girls! Girls!. Importantly, he was also recording regular studio material at this time and wasn't too far removed from performing live and being afforded the chance to act in more substantial and interesting movies. By the time Girls! Girls! Girls! had been released in November of 1962, Elvis was fully established as a leading man and was primed for another stab at a more dramatic role, or stepping away from Hollywood to perform live, such as the tour that Tom Parker had been trying to arrange at this time. Bearing in mind that It Happened at the World's Fair had also wrapped earlier that same month. And despite what Girls! Girls! Girls! has to offer -- good production values, Return to Sender, nice location filming and Elvis looking marvellous, I do think that he was beginning to sell himself short in too many aspects of his career. And that's quite easy to appreciate, no matter how much one likes Song of the Shrimp or finds entertainment in Girls! Girls! Girls!. Myself included.

I also think it's quite a feeble argument to suggest that only a few songs of any worth should be expected from a soundtrack album -- even if the reaility, with regards to Elvis, was just that. And we come back to Elvis not being pro-active enough to demand more, or seek more creative and rewarding pursuits, as both a singer and an actor during the mid-sixties. And that's not to tar every Presley OST with the same brush, because the Jailhouse Rock, Loving You and King Creole soundtracks were all of a high standard. Even G.I. Blues found a creative streak that was frequently amiss thereafter, offering a collection of songs fitting of the where and when of the film's story, using Offenbach and Strauss as templates, with Bavarian leanings and situation numbers that were reasonably successful in the film and on record, e.g. Frankfort Special and even Wooden Heart. Going back to the question I asked above, regarding whether Elvis would have recorded Song of the Shrimp had it not been included in Girls! Girls! Girls!. We do know that he felt some disdain towards the songs commissioned for G.I. Blues. Had his feelings towards the kind of soundtrack material he was now singing changed in any way between April/May 1960 and March 1962?! Granted, he seemed to have somewhat of an affinity with the Hawaiian (and Hawaiian-themed) songs recorded for Blue Hawaii, and again, we have a true classic in Can't Help Falling in Love to consider next to a lovely version of Hawaiian Wedding Song, Hawaiian Sunset and a nice take on Blue Hawaii. But compare this to recordings from Bing Crosby's Waikiki Wedding or, latterly, Return to Paradise Islands to hear just how material of this type should be presented. And that's no critique on Elvis's singing, because, vocally, we all know that he was on marvellous form when the soundtracks to Blue Hawaii and Girls! Girls! Girls! were recorded. But Elvis, despite playing to the masses with films that were undoubtedly popular, well-produced and are still liked, need not have so readily accepted such inferior material. Furthermore, if Elvis was at his best as a singer during the early-sixties, surely it's a great pity - and a loss - that we don't have more examples of him using his voice, and talent, to the best of his abilities at this time! Don't get me wrong, and I've mentioned this on another thread quite recently, there's no singer or actor who has endured a long and varied career without making mistakes in judgement, suffering creative missteps or having to fulfill contractual obligations. Elvis was no different, other than too frequently being steered away from a course better suited to his greater talents.

Tue May 14, 2013 8:42 pm

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Cryogenic wrote:
skatterbrane wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:I think that Girls is better than World's Fair movie but better than both is Fun in Acapulco (in soundtrack and actors like Ursula Andress)

Yep, I was going to say Fun In Acapulco is a pretty fun movie and the songs are generally good and the SOUND of the recording is fantastic.

This is a great outtake:

phpBB [video]

Always with Elvis . . . that great Dionysian spirit.

And here, as you've noted, the sound quality is excellent, and does justice to the supple, dulcet tones of EP's still-youthful voice. Great clarity and warmth!

It's exactly this type of performance, IMO, that exemplifies the "intimate" quality that people often ascribe to EAP -- he alternates between a sing and a whisper, with a remarkable sense of melody and timing, disclosing ineffable romantic truths with invigorating ease.

Songs and performances like these, in my view, are perfectly valid entries in the "Elvis Presley" canon. They are fun, uplifting, salubrious. You can lose yourself in them. The vitality that EP injected into the nascent art form of rock 'n' roll can be heard here, but not just anyone could do this. Here, with more of a loose, disarming Dean Martin swagger, mixed with something deeper and unique to Elvis -- a barely-contained, precocious sense of total abandonment (if Dino was insouciant, Elvis is seriously drunk on love) -- you have the whole Presley mythos (the man who creates as he creates) laid out before you. As great he was at Sun, could he, back then, do this? Could it even have been anticipated? This sense of airy, unflinching fun; gently carving it up as he goes; the sheer unadulterated ease of it. This is why the movie songs matter.

Just my personal opinion.

matilda wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:I don´t care if some consider Song Of The Shrimp as garbage :roll: . For me what it counts is that he sang it beautifully :smt007 I don´t even care for the lyrics. Never ever would Elvis match that range of voice during those 1960-1964 years.

It is a shame Elvis Presley never took the time to beautifully sing the phone book during those 1960-1964 years. Imagine how different his legacy would be today.

a lot of people would have love to hear sing their name, adress and telefonnumber by elvis for sure.
and i think the colonel might have thought about it already.
but the legal department might also have warned him about to many lawsuits by people who did not like their name sung by elvis presley.
plus.....elvis always had problems with the "P" in producing mic pops while singin words with that letter.
so therefore elvis surely had to do alot of overdubbing with the names in the "p" departments.
and we all know how elvis hated overdubbing.....

so the project fell flat....

LMAO!!!

Great follow-up!!!

skatterbrane wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:
Cryogenic wrote:From the explosive fun of the title track (a potent aphrodisiac), to the moving and absolutely gorgeous love ballads, the one-off creation of the surreal "Mama", the utterly charming "Earth Boy", the groovy rocker "Plantation Rock", the sweet calypso "Song Of The Shrimp", the amazing "Return To Sender", and strange musical ditties like "We're Coming In Loaded" and "Thanks To The Rolling Sea", this is Elvis flying high, putting his talent to a number of musical styles, and emerging a more rounded, mature artist for what he wrings out of them. He really asserted the magnetic appeal of his singing in these sessions, I think, and it's that, combined with the good range of songs, and the sound quality, that I've found make me return to these tracks willingly and often.

"Earth Boy"? "Song of the Shrimp"? "Mama"? Elvis was a mature artist singing crap like this? Putting "Return to Sender" in the same league with these clunkers is an insult to Elvis Presley's true talent.

I totally agree -- your comments are spot-on.

But I am sure Cryogenic was being ironic. There can be no other logical explanation. ;-)

I wasn't being ironic, ironically. :wink:

Ironically, I think you are -- hmm? :twisted:

You sort of have to take the movie soundtracks for what they are: good, clean fun, where Elvis gets to try out different styles, adopt a kind of Dean Martin-esque swagger, and craft a series of curios that are an apt expression of his upside-down, epicurean lifestyle.

While one can, of course, cherry pick, for either positive or negative ends, his movie song pantheon is, IMO, a highly appealing one, and only really comes in for a drubbing for what Elvis DIDN'T do rather than what he did -- namely, keep the lighter side of his persona/career in check by continuing to record innovative, impassioned pop music (non-movie material) in Studio B or wherever. The movie material should have remained an entertaining sidebar, not become the main focus of his output in a recording studio. But hindsight is always 50-50.

hindsight is always 50-50 :smt003 I will have to remember that one. Sounds like a Yogi Berra quote!

Oh, hush, you! :P

It's an EGGCORN! I (eggs)claim it!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eggcorn

skatterbrane wrote:
Chris Roberts wrote:"Song of the Shrimp". With all the negative comments that are made regarding this atmospheric, very pleasant, story song, I think that I may have to start a "Song of the Shrimp" appreciation society. Am I going to be the only member? :lol:

Count me in.

Well, well, well, well...

WEELLLLL.....

This 'lil fan club is sure building!

It ain't no big thing... but it's GROWING!

ekenee wrote:That was Elvis. He had very eclectic tastes.

Good point there, ekenee.

To answer your question (rhetorical, but hey): not many, probably.

Some may have shared his tastes (already liked the same stuff), but who would have ADMITTED it; and to whom?

This is the thing about Elvis: he didn't mind admitting it. He sang in an open, unconscious way.

Expressing yourself, being honest... this has always been hard and remains so.

skatterbrane wrote:That's right ekenee, because hindsight is 50/50. Even with the advantage of hindsight, some people would still get it wrong and make the same mistakes over again.

Hey, man... you're learning, learning, learning! :)

I think most people would agree . . . they're a hodge-podge. But that's not a pejorative statement in and of itself.

A lot of the fun, in fact, is in sifting through the pile, and finding your favourites.

Which may remain the same or vary with the wind.

It's all good. Or mediocre, rotten, etc. Take yer pick.

Thanks!. Another nice song, love it :smt007. Mr.Jorgensen please bring us an updated 2 cd set of this lovely soundtrack 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Tue May 14, 2013 10:13 pm

The "Fun In Acapulco" soundtrack is a very underrated and skillfully crafted album, that gets a bit lost in the Elvis canon, simply because its a "soundtrack album."

Expertly engineered with marvellous room acoustics, it is doubtful if Elvis ever surpassed his outstanding vocals, for sheer technique, during January of 1963.

Tue May 14, 2013 10:25 pm

yeah....one of the most dynamic sounding records ever by elvis...

Tue May 14, 2013 10:41 pm

matilda wrote:yeah....one of the most dynamic sounding records ever by elvis...

If only there was a waltz on it, "matilda." :smt002

Tue May 14, 2013 10:48 pm

skatterbrane wrote:

Count me in.

Your in Skatterbrane. When we have the final number of members of Song of the Shrimp appreciation society, I think we should celebrate with a round of Prawn (or Shrimp) cocktails. :D

Tue May 14, 2013 10:54 pm

Please add my name to your list of "Shrimp" lovers.

Tue May 14, 2013 11:03 pm

jak wrote:I have said many times in the past that Elvis was the master of making garbage sound good. No matter how crappy the material was he elevated it just by the fact his voice was so good. His voice was incredible during the early '60s. Just imagine what he could have done without all those lousy soundtracks.

Thank you. This is a point that only some have mastered.

But God knows, how I've tried.

Tue May 14, 2013 11:06 pm

JerryNodak wrote:Please add my name to your list of "Shrimp" lovers.

Your in Jerry. Hope its not just because you want A Prawn (Shrimp) cocktail!! :wink:

We're getting so many members now, we may have to start limiting the number soon. :lol:

Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 pm

greystoke wrote:I like Song of the Shrimp as much as the next guy (unless the next guy is the Doc!), but there's always going to be a struggle among Elvis fans when it comes to his movies and the soundtracks for those movies -- perhaps even more so, with regards to the soundtracks. Song of the Shrimp is a beautifully sung calyspo that's well arranged and quite charming -- but if Elvis wasn't recording the soundtrack for a movie such as Girls! Girls! Girls!, would he have gone near material of this type?! I suppose the "what if" game is always futile, because he DID record Song of the Shrimp and DID star in Girls! Girls! Girls!. Importantly, he was also recording regular studio material at this time and wasn't too far removed from performing live and being afforded the chance to act in more substantial and interesting movies. By the time Girls! Girls! Girls! had been released in November of 1962, Elvis was fully established as a leading man and was primed for another stab at a more dramatic role, or stepping away from Hollywood to perform live, such as the tour that Tom Parker had been trying to arrange at this time. Bearing in mind that It Happened at the World's Fair had also wrapped earlier that same month. And despite what Girls! Girls! Girls! has to offer -- good production values, Return to Sender, nice location filming and Elvis looking marvellous, I do think that he was beginning to sell himself short in too many aspects of his career. And that's quite easy to appreciate, no matter how much one likes Song of the Shrimp or finds entertainment in Girls! Girls! Girls!. Myself included.

I also think it's quite a feeble argument to suggest that only a few songs of any worth should be expected from a soundtrack album -- even if the reaility, with regards to Elvis, was just that. And we come back to Elvis not being pro-active enough to demand more, or seek more creative and rewarding pursuits, as both a singer and an actor during the mid-sixties. And that's not to tar every Presley OST with the same brush, because the Jailhouse Rock, Loving You and King Creole soundtracks were all of a high standard. Even G.I. Blues found a creative streak that was frequently amiss thereafter, offering a collection of songs fitting of the where and when of the film's story, using Offenbach and Strauss as templates, with Bavarian leanings and situation numbers that were reasonably successful in the film and on record, e.g. Frankfort Special and even Wooden Heart. Going back to the question I asked above, regarding whether Elvis would have recorded Song of the Shrimp had it not been included in Girls! Girls! Girls!. We do know that he felt some disdain towards the songs commissioned for G.I. Blues. Had his feelings towards the kind of soundtrack material he was now singing changed in any way between April/May 1960 and March 1962?! Granted, he seemed to have somewhat of an affinity with the Hawaiian (and Hawaiian-themed) songs recorded for Blue Hawaii, and again, we have a true classic in Can't Help Falling in Love to consider next to a lovely version of Hawaiian Wedding Song, Hawaiian Sunset and a nice take on Blue Hawaii. But compare this to recordings from Bing Crosby's Waikiki Wedding or, latterly, Return to Paradise Islands to hear just how material of this type should be presented. And that's no critique on Elvis's singing, because, vocally, we all know that he was on marvellous form when the soundtracks to Blue Hawaii and Girls! Girls! Girls! were recorded. But Elvis, despite playing to the masses with films that were undoubtedly popular, well-produced and are still liked, need not have so readily accepted such inferior material. Furthermore, if Elvis was at his best as a singer during the early-sixties, surely it's a great pity - and a loss - that we don't have more examples of him using his voice, and talent, to the best of his abilities at this time! Don't get me wrong, and I've mentioned this on another thread quite recently, there's no singer or actor who has endured a long and varied career without making mistakes in judgement, suffering creative missteps or having to fulfill contractual obligations. Elvis was no different, other than too frequently being steered away from a course better suited to his greater talents.

Thank you for yet another well-written post. You can see the forest for the trees.

Tue May 14, 2013 11:07 pm

I love shrimp, too.

Not crazy about the song, though.

Tue May 14, 2013 11:08 pm

skatterbrane wrote:Elvis' best seafood song was Crawfish. I wonder how Song Of The Shrimp would be looked at today had it been part of the King Creole soundtrack?

I completely understand Dr Carpenter's opinion or point of view. Mystery Train vs Song Of The Shrimp. Yeah, I feel that way about many of Elvis' movie songs.

The worst ones come to mind: Confidence, Barefoot Ballad, Yoga Is As Yoga Does, etc But Song Of The Shrimp, while no Reconsider Baby, is still pretty good.

Thank you!

Tue May 14, 2013 11:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jak wrote:I have said many times in the past that Elvis was the master of making garbage sound good. No matter how crappy the material was he elevated it just by the fact his voice was so good. His voice was incredible during the early '60s. Just imagine what he could have done without all those lousy soundtracks.

Thank you. This is a point that only some have mastered.

But God knows, how I've tried.

Yes your very trying John. :wink: only joking! I think most of us would agree with "jak", however we have what we have, and it isn't all as bad as many make out. I fully agree with the positive comments regarding Fun in Acapulco, I can really appreciate that soundtrack now but as a 18 year old when it was first released, it wasn't the sort of material that I wished for. At the time I still wanted '50's rock'n'roll!

Off course when he was out of the movie contracts, he still recorded what many of us would class as sub-standard material such as Sylvia and Love Song of the Year and, believe it or not, many don't like My Boy. :shock:

Tue May 14, 2013 11:31 pm

greystoke wrote: Furthermore, if Elvis was at his best as a singer during the early-sixties, surely it's a great pity - and a loss - that we don't have more examples of him using his voice, and talent, to the best of his abilities at this time!

He produced more than enough outstanding material during the early-sixties to be getting on with.

Tue May 14, 2013 11:50 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
greystoke wrote: Furthermore, if Elvis was at his best as a singer during the early-sixties, surely it's a great pity - and a loss - that we don't have more examples of him using his voice, and talent, to the best of his abilities at this time!

He produced more than enough outstanding material during the early-sixties to be getting on with.

You are mistaken.

It is a fact that not a lot of "outstanding" material was cut in the three years between 1962 and 1964.

outstanding adj.
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/outstanding

1. Standing out among others of its kind; prominent.
2. Superior to others of its kind; distinguished.

Wed May 15, 2013 12:52 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:

You are mistaken...

'Fraid not.

I said early-sixties; but if you wish to ignore 1960-61 in order to rescue a rather narrow-minded outlook, then that still leaves an array of outstanding material [amongst many other first-rate recordings] from 1962-64:

Suspicion
Gonna Get Back Home Somehow
She's Not You
Return To Sender
They Remind Me Too Much Of You
Bossa Nova Baby
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
Love Me Tonight
Viva Las Vegas
I Need Somebody To Lean On
Memphis Tennessee
It Hurts Me

narrow-minded adj.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j ... 1029,d.d2k

: lacking in tolerance or breadth of vision.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:21 am

Steve Morse wrote:That's a great outtake of, "I Think I'm Gonna Like It Here", Cryo. Delicious, in fact, and the Spanish opening is so much better than the pure instrumental used on the master. I'd take the Fun In Acapulco soundtrack in preference to any soundboard recording (with the odd few exceptions), any day of the week.

I've always loved the, "Your troubles like bubbles . . . ." sequence.

Indeed. It's unbelievably better -- IMO -- than the master track. While Elvis sounds like he's in a trance on the master, this alternate is bubbly, conversational, and much more free-spirited. You're right about that opening, too. It kinda sets the mood for the entire take. When I first heard this alternate, I immediately warmed to this song, where previously I was indifferent.

I like the "bubbles" sequence, too. In fact, this alternate take is a good demonstration of the extra detail you get when the sound quality is there and Elvis is singing well. You can hear him making these little groans and asides at the end of certain lines in this take. The second time he sings "your troubles like bubbles will soon disappear in the air", listen carefully: a little "mmm!", following the bell sound (2:02), is clearly audible. I love that.

Mike Windgren wrote:Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Thanks!. Another nice song, love it :smt007. Mr.Jorgensen please bring us an updated 2 cd set of this lovely soundtrack 8). Bye for now :smt006.

Hi, Mike!

Yes, "Fun In Acapulco" is one that should be re-visited, I think.

Glad you liked that outtake.

elvisalisellers wrote:The "Fun In Acapulco" soundtrack is a very underrated and skillfully crafted album, that gets a bit lost in the Elvis canon, simply because its a "soundtrack album."

Expertly engineered with marvellous room acoustics, it is doubtful if Elvis ever surpassed his outstanding vocals, for sheer technique, during January of 1963.

It sounds like he was flying high in the FIA sessions, for sure.

And yes, maybe a bit more TLC was put into the recording of this one.

I still say, however, that his best year, vocally, was 1962, and I offer both "Pot Luck" and "Girls! Girls! Girls!" as proof. But it's all down to personal opinion.

BTW, another couple of very decent movie song outtakes (IMO) . . . this time, from "Girl Happy":

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

I think one respondent to the "Puppet On A String" video puts it with great felicity: "The most fascinating voice ever" (emphasis mine).

He sounds supremely sensual in the top cut, and quite vulnerable -- in that soulful way -- in the latter.

Now, these are the sorts of songs that we might have heard coming out of his mainstream pop albums were he still making any at the time, but since he wasn't, it falls to the movie soundtracks to fill in that gap -- however fitfully they do. And . . . they do. Especially with tracks like these.

On these songs, you can already hear his voice beginning to darken, and you can maybe discern the first signs of strain, I think, but it adds a magical effect. His singing is so delicate and precise in these takes. It's a real treat.

And no, I do not regard these cuts as "garbage". These ballads are soft, subtle; they envelop you. We get another little shade to Elvis here and I think it's wonderful. In "Puppet On A String", you can even hear him inhaling and clicking his tongue against his palate. The songs have a very intimate feel due to the arrangements, the dry -- but warm -- sound, and the beautifully understated way Elvis sings on them. He takes a very subtle approach, like he's lightly blowing away lint from your face, or singing right next to your ear. The movie era may have stifled him, but it also allowed him to explore a number of genres and styles, and it ultimately set the scene (pun intended), as said earlier, for the "Comeback Special". And what Elvis fan would be without that?

So, it's subjective, certainly, and within this subjective realm, one can take a glass half-empty/half-full approach. The complete spectrum of movie songs is quite the rugged, patchwork quilt. And this is merely one chapter -- albeit, a fairly long way -- in a pretty dynamic and luminous career. One last time, IMO.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:35 am

Cryogenic wrote:I still say, however, that his best year, vocally, was 1962...

Well, what's a few weeks between friends?! :lol:

Nice post, BTW.

Wed May 15, 2013 1:45 am

skatterbrane wrote:Elvis' best seafood song was Crawfish. I wonder how Song Of The Shrimp would be looked at today had it been part of the King Creole soundtrack?

The premise of the songs are completely different: Crawfish is a tongue-in-cheek song of a man waxing lyrical about his delicious dinner. Song Of The Shrimp is about a personified shrimp family - totally bizarre. Either that or it's about a man tripping on LSD.

Is the movie Girls! Girls! Girls!, or The Little Mermaid? Answers on a postcard...