Chat talk and light discussion

Re: What happened to Yahoo! (?)

Mon May 13, 2013 12:48 am

memphisto wrote:
Francesc wrote:I'm not sure this is the best place to post this but I didnt want to open another thread. Does anyone know what these terms mean?

PA-DA of 30 or over
10 or less external links (OBL) from homepage

It is related to Google Page Rank and SEO

Page Authority and Domain Authority, used by Seomoz to calculate a ranking of a specific page or domain, its an alternative measurement to Google's pagerank, you have very little chance of influencing these figures...pagerank is easier to influence. 30 or more is a decent level but it is a logarithmic scale like pagerank so 40 is 10 times 30 and 50 is 100 times 30 etc

It is generally not a good idea to have too many external links on the home page (or indeed on any page) unless you have either reciprocal links or if the page is something many people would link to.

Some types of sites MUST have many external links; I ran an academic clearinghouse, for instance. It was a place to find the best information on the subject, and I also had original content. What I did, before HTML5, was to to try to "trap" people on my page using frames.

I started back in summer '96, when it was all so simple.

I imagine it's different now. In any event, I shut it because spammers were causing massive overage charges. You must employ captcha codes now, or there will be trouble. I still have the name and will relaunch in time. It was highly regarded: Luckman's Best of The Web, and even listed in the on-line Encyclopaedia Britannica. I just have to learn how to deal with the new servers, and HTML5. (For my business, I'm winging it the best I can, because I refuse to use those "Web Sites for Idiots" on-line things like "1+1" or whatever it's called, or be dependent on an expensive web design company.)

But the point is that different sites have different purposes, so the "rule" or "rules" can't always apply.

Web weaving used to be fun; now it's really not "mark-up"; it's real coding -- to an extent.

rjm

Mon May 13, 2013 12:42 pm

rjm wrote:
memphisto wrote:
Francesc wrote:I'm not sure this is the best place to post this but I didnt want to open another thread. Does anyone know what these terms mean?

PA-DA of 30 or over

Page Authority and Domain Authority, used by Seomoz to calculate a ranking of a specific page or domain, its an alternative measurement to Google's pagerank, you have very little chance of influencing these figures...pagerank is easier to influence. 30 or more is a decent level but it is a logarithmic scale like pagerank so 40 is 10 times 30 and 50 is 100 times 30 etc

It is generally not a good idea to have too many external links on the home page (or indeed on any page) unless you have either reciprocal links or if the page is something many people would link to.

Some types of sites MUST have many external links; I ran an academic clearinghouse, for instance. It was a place to find the best information on the subject, and I also had original content. What I did, before HTML5, was to to try to "trap" people on my page using frames.

I imagine it's different now. In any event, I shut it because spammers were causing massive overage charges. You must employ captcha codes now, or there will be trouble. I still have the name and will relaunch in time. It was highly regarded: Luckman's Best of The Web, and even listed in the on-line Encyclopaedia Britannica. I just have to learn how to deal with the new servers, and HTML5. (For my business, I'm winging it the best I can, because I refuse to use those "Web Sites for Idiots" on-line things like "1+1" or whatever it's called, or be dependent on an expensive web design company.)

But the point is that different sites have different purposes, so the "rule" or "rules" can't always apply.

Web weaving used to be fun; now it's really not "mark-up"; it's real coding -- to an extent.

rjm

I agree, but to be successful to get found in Google today you need lots of people to link to a site. Back then it was far simpler, less sites, basic search technology.

Ah the dreaded iframe, you wouldnt get away with that now...and developers rarely use iframes at all now, personally have only used it on one site in the last 5 years and thats because a client insisted on it...HTML 5 spec doesnt allow frames but you can actually use them with it when you know how...but who would want to

Luckman's...I have heard of it...thats about it :)

It IS real coding now if you are one to build custom websites. Sure there are templated sites, website builders, and plugins and wordpress and joomla, but they all have one fail, you can only customise it so far and are limited by the plugins you have available (which everyone else can use). And you have php frameworks which are supposed to help development but most are bloated as they try to deal with every situation. I built my own MVC framework so I can build just about anything with it...its fast and I know it inside out. If you havent used a programming language to any great extent you may find it difficult to set up your site again.

Mon May 13, 2013 10:20 pm

memphisto wrote:

PA-DA of 30 or over

Thanks a lot. I knew about Page Rank but nothing about Page and Domain Authority. Interesting

Tue May 14, 2013 9:00 am

memphisto wrote:
rjm wrote:
memphisto wrote:

PA-DA of 30 or over

rjm

I agree, but to be successful to get found in Google today you need lots of people to link to a site. Back then it was far simpler, less sites, basic search technology.

Ah the dreaded iframe, you wouldnt get away with that now...and developers rarely use iframes at all now, personally have only used it on one site in the last 5 years and thats because a client insisted on it...HTML 5 spec doesnt allow frames but you can actually use them with it when you know how...but who would want to

It IS real coding now if you are one to build custom websites. Sure there are templated sites, website builders, and plugins and wordpress and joomla, but they all have one fail, you can only customise it so far and are limited by the plugins you have available (which everyone else can use). And you have php frameworks which are supposed to help development but most are bloated as they try to deal with every situation. I built my own MVC framework so I can build just about anything with it...its fast and I know it inside out. If you havent used a programming language to any great extent you may find it difficult to set up your site again.

It will be difficult, but I DO have programming experience. But it was in the area of Visual BASIC, and the related languages, and those, too, are passe. {sigh} If I had the time to really devote myself to it, I surely could do it. But it sure is a drag. I will say that it is NOT worse than using those awful templates! There is NOTHING I want to use of those things - nothing. They all basically have a sameness, and it doesn't capture the look we have at all. If I have to learn it, by God, I'll learn it. I've done it before. Yes, it's much harder. And the servers are a bear.

But I was very careful with the frames: I liked to "hide" them as much as possible, so they weren't ugly. I just needed a way to "trap" them. But I had loads of others reciprocally linking back then, too. I had good rankings, and I have THE domain name in the field. I really did have a nice, elegant site. Destroyed. :(

Thanks for the honesty about the difficulty. I know it, but was hoping it wasn't as bad as it seems. Just will take more time. (On my business site, I do it it the "old" way, the server recodes it immediately, making me crazy! But it works out . . .)

You can get a Luckman book for a dollar now! One dollar! :smt005 http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUCKMANS-BEST-WEB-500-SITES-COMPUTER-FUN-GUIDE-REFERENCE-WEBSITE-INFO-/370760022119

Thanks again!

rjm (I used to make some money at it, too! All my sites had "Optimized For Lynx"! LOL! The text-only browser. Pretty funny.)

Wed May 15, 2013 12:43 am

memphisto wrote:
rjm wrote:
memphisto wrote:

PA-DA of 30 or over

rjm

I remember my page was chosen Yahoo Pick of the Week or something like that, I wonder if that section is still up

Wed May 15, 2013 7:57 am

Francesc wrote:
memphisto wrote:
rjm wrote:
memphisto wrote:

PA-DA of 30 or over

rjm

I remember my page was chosen Yahoo Pick of the Week or something like that, I wonder if that section is still up

Well . . . It's still "on" the web. Sorta. :wink:

http://descy.50megs.com/mankato/960304.html

It's fascinating to go back in time, and actually see what you saw back then. Pretty cool that these things are still visible. This was the very first thing I ever typed into an address box: "www.yahoo.com"

And at least you can still see it today. The links are dead, so I doubt you'd find your Pick. Someone had saved this to their hard disk, and uploaded it, for fun, I guess.

rjm

Fri May 17, 2013 4:28 pm

rjm wrote:
memphisto wrote:
rjm wrote:
memphisto wrote:

PA-DA of 30 or over

rjm

It will be difficult, but I DO have programming experience. But it was in the area of Visual BASIC, and the related languages, and those, too, are passe. {sigh} If I had the time to really devote myself to it, I surely could do it. But it sure is a drag. I will say that it is NOT worse than using those awful templates! There is NOTHING I want to use of those things - nothing. They all basically have a sameness, and it doesn't capture the look we have at all. If I have to learn it, by God, I'll learn it. I've done it before. Yes, it's much harder. And the servers are a bear.

But I was very careful with the frames: I liked to "hide" them as much as possible, so they weren't ugly. I just needed a way to "trap" them. But I had loads of others reciprocally linking back then, too. I had good rankings, and I have THE domain name in the field. I really did have a nice, elegant site. Destroyed. :(

Thanks for the honesty about the difficulty. I know it, but was hoping it wasn't as bad as it seems. Just will take more time. (On my business site, I do it it the "old" way, the server recodes it immediately, making me crazy! But it works out . . .)

You can get a Luckman book for a dollar now! One dollar! :smt005 http://www.ebay.com/itm/LUCKMANS-BEST-WEB-500-SITES-COMPUTER-FUN-GUIDE-REFERENCE-WEBSITE-INFO-/370760022119

Thanks again!

rjm (I used to make some money at it, too! All my sites had "Optimized For Lynx"! LOL! The text-only browser. Pretty funny.)

Visual Basic is somewhat related to Vb Script Microsoft's version of JavaScript, but that version is all but obsolete now, at least I haven't heard anyone using it in at least 5 years. But JavaScript is easier to use than it used to be thanks to Jquery.

Yea templates are bland and they never quite fit to what you need, I could understand using them if it was a blog or personal site but for a business you want something that stands out, and a template used by 100 or more businesses will not really stand out.

I am biased so I personally would go with learning PHP/MySQL/Apache and use a PHP framework like CodeIgniter as a starting point...learn Jquery and asynchronous JavaScript for interaction and for a quick interface. But saying that server side JavaScript is worth a look, Node.js has a steep learning curve and is still in early development but I see it becoming popular in some areas

If you have a good idea that fits into a niche then that's a good start, it's marketing the site that costs more than anything now and takes up a LOT of time. That's what we find is the issue for most businesses. Everything is a challenge but if it pays off then it is worth the time and money invested.