Off Topic Messages

How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 02, 2013 5:37 am

I have always been curious how everyone found out about this site? I came across it purely by accident back in 2003 when I was living in Japan (back here living again at the moment) and having recently purchased a laptop, which opened up a whole new world. For me FECC was my connection to the world outside of Japan. I was living in a Japanese houshold, and for me, before the days of Face Book and other social media sites, it was a great way to communicate with others who spoke English, and helped me maintain some sanity while living in a culture that I don't think I or most non-Japanese will ever understand.

I can honestly say that while I have been absent for some time, I am truly grateful for the knowlege that exists on this board, and for those past and present who have contributed. There have definitely been some interesting characters throughout the past ten years. It is always a great feeling to communicate with those who have a common and deep appreciation for great music and interesting topics discussed here.

I really don't know where the last ten years have gone......?

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 02, 2013 6:24 am

jake wrote:I have always been curious how everyone found out about this site? I came across it purely by accident back in 2003 when I was living in Japan (back here living again at the moment) and having recently purchased a laptop, which opened up a whole new world. For me FECC was my connection to the world outside of Japan. I was living in a Japanese houshold, and for me, before the days of Face Book and other social media sites, it was a great way to communicate with others who spoke English, and helped me maintain some sanity while living in a culture that I don't think I or most non-Japanese will ever understand.

I can honestly say that while I have been absent for some time, I am truly grateful for the knowlege that exists on this board, and for those past and present who have contributed. There have definitely been some interesting characters throughout the past ten years. It is always a great feeling to communicate with those who have a common and deep appreciation for great music and interesting topics discussed here.

I really don't know where the last ten years have gone......?


I haven't been on here for near that long, but your query deserves an answer.

The first time I saw a post from here, I didn't know it WAS from here. I was researching the writing and recording and reception of "Rubberneckin.'" and what people thought it meant. Looked at the sheet music, looked at interviews with those involved, and what people said on the Internet.

Well, I found this old posting -- I'd never signed up for a "forum," so it was just a random post to me. I found it later, when I was signed on. A post by one "Lonnie Beale" (Not sure if that's the correct username), said what what I thought it was about. A lot of fans did not care for this opinion, but it was really a rather small thing on the surface. This was quite a ways back, but I don't remember the year. It was years before I got on here, and found it. I remembered it, and thought "I read that from HERE!"

When I really came on the board, I was researching the work of Joe Hill Louis, and the early Sun era, and the pre-Elvis era. "Tiger Man", "Mystery Train" . . . etc. And just a whole lotta interesting records that came out of Sun and Memphis. And I was trying, and am still trying to track Elvis' pre-Sun movements around Memphis.

So, I come upon some posts with AUDIO samples of Elvis singing "Tiger Man" in the "normal tempo" long before Louis' slower version came out in the 1980s, after Elvis's death.

I was blown away, and to post, or to get involved in any way, you had to sign up. Now, I had only signed up to Amazon.com, Landsend.com, etc. prior to this. I also posted in mudcat cafe as "guest." Didn't sign up. I had A DIAL-UP CONNECTION, ONLY! (I thought high-speed was just a racket to take more money every month. I was an idiot.)

My workplace was in transition: we couldn't make the rent, and were moving, so my work laptop was in storage. After I signed up, my hard disk drive on the only computer with a working sound card, died. TOAST. Lost all my ITunes, and all access to a sound card, let alone video. The other computer was a Win98 machine, with no more sound card functioning. And only dial-up.

I had recently had surgery, and figured it was okay. No biggie. Wrong.

BUT!!!!! I had a little Kindle. Little keyboard Kindle which had something called "3G." I had no idea what this was, or how it worked, but it connected me to the Internet, and to this forum.

I became completely addicted, without even multi-media. Just text, and B&W photos.

In November of 2011, I bought a "tablet computer." A brave new world opened wide! I got my laptop out of storage around this time, too, and by early December, had a cable modem installed, and got a terrific router! Only a week before, I didn't know what a "router" was. I swear to God, that's the truth, even though it sounds crazy. It's the truth.

And the rest . . . is herstory. ;)

(I am on YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, tumblr, Blogger . . . etc. And I have a new BIG SMART TV!!! :D )

This is all thanks to FECC, BTW. I might still be on a dial-up. It's possible!

rjm
::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks ::rocks

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 02, 2013 11:53 am

I knew it was around when it first started but I never joined at the time, because my main link to this site was Willems page with all the import releases and reviews to all the new CD's being released. Would go there everyday and just read, and read, and, read. And Jordan's Elvis World had all the ra files to hear all this new stuff and it was like a dream come true.
One thing for sure there is no better Elvis Presley forum in the world today as with FECC.

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 02, 2013 2:13 pm

i actually found it on google!

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 02, 2013 2:57 pm

I first became a member in 2003 and I do not remember how it came to be.

Just count your blessings that I'm here.

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 02, 2013 3:05 pm

I did a Google search on a young talent named Alizee in 2003, and well.....

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 02, 2013 4:02 pm

I was suffering from a 'lack of knowledge about Elvis' and i was told i needed to see a Doctor and was sent straight here.

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 2:36 am

I did a search for war zones on google.

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 3:11 am

In 1995, Willem's was one of the few websites available. The import section was a must to visit every week.

Some other websites from that time

Elvis World Japan
A 50's website from a gal called Anne from Virginia

and 2 or 3 more that I don't remember the names

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 3:20 am

jake wrote:I have always been curious how everyone found out about this site?


A little birdie told me. :wink:

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 5:11 am

I discovered it through web TV around 2000/01 I believe, it may have been a little earlier.

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 5:18 am

Dan_T wrote:I discovered it through web TV around 2000/01 I believe, it may have been a little earlier.


webtv ... wild! :D

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 8:44 am

KHoots wrote:I did a Google search on a young talent named Alizee in 2003, and well.....


Actually, the Alizee thread didn't arrive here until 2005 !

It's been so long, I can't remember how I found FECC !

Just stumbled upon it, I reckon............

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 12:52 pm

poormadpeter wrote:I did a search for war zones on google.

LOL now that was a good one! :wink:

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 1:32 pm

I don't really remember.
I know I was subscribed to the alt.elvis.king newsgroup for a while. Maybe I saw it referenced there, or maybe simply via a websearch. Seems so long ago now, I can't remember.

Glad I found it though!

::rocks

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 2:54 pm

It was in late 1995, I'm pretty sure. Around that time, I was first introduced to import Cd's. A little antique shop in my old Florida hometown had a"special room" in the back with nothing but Elvis rarities. They had a handful of imports, but I was hesitant to purchase without doing some prior research. Then I found this site! It was an eye opening experience, that is for sure! For me, the discovery of imports AND this site was the start of a great journey. Fast forward almost 15 years, and it is with great honor that I am, today,able to be the host and technical dude for FECC. :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 03, 2013 3:38 pm

fecc-mechanic wrote:It was in late 1995, I'm pretty sure. Around that time, I was first introduced to import Cd's. A little antique shop in my old Florida hometown had a"special room" in the back with nothing but Elvis rarities. They had a handful of imports, but I was hesitant to purchase without doing some prior research. Then I found this site! It was an eye opening experience, that is for sure! For me, the discovery of imports AND this site was the start of a great journey. Fast forward almost 15 years, and it is with great honor that I am, today,able to be the host and technical dude for FECC. :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2


And a great job you do, Jordan.

I first stumbled across fecc probably around 2001, in the early days of developing a strong interest in Elvis. It took me a couple of years to join the forum, which I did just before the old one closed. Wow, ten years!

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Sat May 04, 2013 3:34 am

ColinB wrote:
KHoots wrote:I did a Google search on a young talent named Alizee in 2003, and well.....


Actually, the Alizee thread didn't arrive here until 2005 !


Yeah, I was just being stupid. Totally out of character, I know, but what the heck................ :D

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 09, 2013 9:32 am

I was with my statuesque girlfriend at a wonderful restaurant called Breads of India, when I saw a guy sitting alone at a corner table, muttering over and over to himself, "FECC, FECC, FECC ..."

So I did a quick Google search and -- VOILA! -- I found this amazing forum.

Never saw the poor fellow again. I felt sorry for him, and wished I could have told him what I found.

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 09, 2013 11:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:I was with my statuesque girlfriend at a wonderful restaurant called Breads of India, when I saw a guy sitting alone at a corner table, muttering over and over to himself, "FECC, FECC, FECC ..."

So I did a quick Google search and -- VOILA! -- I found this amazing forum.

Never saw the poor fellow again. I felt sorry for him, and wished I could have told him what I found.

That was me Doc!!! When I seen your statuesque girlfriend, I just kept saying over and over to myself "If She was with me, If she was with me", If she was with me..." Not FECC! :?

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 09, 2013 11:41 am

fecc-mechanic wrote:It was in late 1995, I'm pretty sure. Around that time, I was first introduced to import Cd's. A little antique shop in my old Florida hometown had a"special room" in the back with nothing but Elvis rarities. They had a handful of imports, but I was hesitant to purchase without doing some prior research. Then I found this site! It was an eye opening experience, that is for sure! For me, the discovery of imports AND this site was the start of a great journey. Fast forward almost 15 years, and it is with great honor that I am, today,able to be the host and technical dude for FECC. :-D

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2


I think I still have a back-up copy of the website from 1995 on a floppydisk. It fit on one 1.4 mb disk. I'm feeling old now :-)

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9505 met Tapatalk

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 09, 2013 5:19 pm

jake wrote:How did you find out about FECC?

I was looking at WorldWideElvis >> http://www.worldwideelvis.com/
... and clicked "LINKS".

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Thu May 09, 2013 5:36 pm

I bought a set of boot cds from a guy in Ireland and in the parcel was a few pages copied from the import section so I looked up the address and that's it

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 10, 2013 9:34 am

ElvisNews.com was one of the very first Elvis related websites I visited and through their ElvisStartPage I found FECC.

Re: How did you find out about FECC?

Fri May 10, 2013 9:40 am

I think it was from tcb-world.....