Off Topic Messages

Sir Alex Ferguson Retires

Wed May 08, 2013 11:53 am

Very sad.

The greatest manager ever. I'm not a fan of Manchester United but a huge fan of his.
I don't think we will ever see his like again, a definite one off.

Vey sad day...end of an era and a huge loss to football.

(David Moyes of Everton is favourite to succeed him)

Re: Sir Alex Ferguson Retires

Wed May 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Wow! That's a shock. I expected him to stay for at least another couple of years. A massive loss to the game. As for his replacement this couldn't have come at a worse time for Utd with Guardiola committed to Batern and Mourinho looking like he's heading for Chelsea.

Wed May 08, 2013 12:59 pm

Best of luck to him

Wed May 08, 2013 3:44 pm

Maybe the timing of the announcement was made to scupper Jose's expected return to Chelsea?

That's what I'm hoping anyway; I'd hate to lose Moyes.

Wed May 08, 2013 3:47 pm

Mad to think that Man Utd's previous manager was Ron Atkinson!

Wed May 08, 2013 4:24 pm

Would argue about him being named the greatest manager ever but he was one of the best.

Wed May 08, 2013 9:47 pm

Yes him and Sir Matt are both the greatest managers of all time & both staying with the best club in the world - It'll be a shame but life goes on, the fans thought he'd done the wrong thing when Cantona went but look at what we won without him - so you never know. I've met him loads of times and everyone is special he was/IS a truly genuine nice guy - GOOD LUCK TO HIM!!!!!!!!!!

Wed May 08, 2013 10:06 pm

He will be missed. Definitely the greatest football manager ever - his record of trophies speaks for itself.

Thu May 09, 2013 12:11 am

No more Fergie time.

Yes!

Thu May 09, 2013 8:34 am

The end of an era ! best manager ever !!!

Thu May 09, 2013 7:05 pm

londonflash wrote:Maybe the timing of the announcement was made to scupper Jose's expected return to Chelsea?

That's what I'm hoping anyway; I'd hate to lose Moyes.

Looks like you've lost him londonflash.

Thu May 09, 2013 7:26 pm

A good appointment by Man Utd. He will do well.

Speculation is that Rooney wants away; I don't think Moyes and Rooney get on that well, there was a fall out just before Rooney joined MU.
To be honest Rooney's not the same player he was. It may be best if he does leave; he seems to have gone stale. Another big rumour doing the rounds is that Ronaldo is coming back. .... that would certainly bring a smile back to MU fans.

Both Sir Alex and David Moyes, as well as being Scottish, are apparently made from cloth ! :wink:

Thu May 09, 2013 8:51 pm

Well, time for me to depart this Fergie wankfest as I'm obviously out numbered! :lol: :lol:

Thu May 09, 2013 9:03 pm

Liverbobs wrote:Well, time for me to depart this Fergie wankfest as I'm obviously out numbered! :lol: :lol:

I think Fergies record speaks for itself.

I actually prefer Liverpool to Man U... Their my english team. Both teams have had many world class players over the years...King Kenny being the best of the lot IMO :smt023

Fri May 10, 2013 2:06 am

Ah sh*t.

Looks like I'll be changing my signature. Good luck to Moyes, a great man. He will be a hard act to follow at Goodison Park and someone I will always have 100% respect for.

What a man!

Fri May 10, 2013 3:21 am

londonflash wrote:Ah sh*t.

Looks like I'll be changing my signature. Good luck to Moyes, a great man. He will be a hard act to follow at Goodison Park and someone I will always have 100% respect for.

What a man!

Yeah,the focus of attention is how hard it is to step into Fergies shoes but the same goes for Everton.Any thoughts on who that will be londonflash.I see Mark Hughes is bigging himself up for it but I wouldn't fancy that.Big Dunc's taking his coaching badges !

norrie

Fri May 10, 2013 3:38 pm

norrie wrote:
londonflash wrote:Ah sh*t.

What a man!

Yeah,the focus of attention is how hard it is to step into Fergies shoes but the same goes for Everton.Any thoughts on who that will be londonflash.I see Mark Hughes is bigging himself up for it but I wouldn't fancy that.Big Dunc's taking his coaching badges !

norrie

I'd like us to get a young manager, maybe continental. Someone who encourages the passing game, so Martinez would fit the bill. I've read a few reports linking us with Porto's boss, which would be a good appointment. Neil Lennon is heavily backed and the odds on him have reduced dramatically, but I wouldn't be in favour of that. While he did lead Celtic to a CL win over Barca, my cat could coach Celtic to the SPL title.

You make a great point, norrie, that everyone seems to be (understandably) focusing on Man Utd when this appointment actually has a bigger impact (potentially) on Everton. If it doesn't work out for DM, Man Utd will always be able to attract another top manager to the club. If Everton get it wrong my fear is that they will slide down the table. What Moyes achieved in terms of league position over the last decade with limited resources has been outstanding.

Fri May 10, 2013 10:20 pm

londonflash wrote: Neil Lennon is heavily backed and the odds on him have reduced dramatically, but I wouldn't be in favour of that. While he did lead Celtic to a CL win over Barca, my cat could coach Celtic to the SPL title.

I agree with you that its no big deal winning the SPL, but lenny did alot more than just the win over barca, qualifying for the CL,gettin to the last 16 on limited resources ! and also did well in the europa last year too.but hey i hope thet bill kenwright sees it your way too and lenny stays at the club he loves ! i will be there tomorrow helping him cheers on another SPL title and another go at next years CL !!!

Sat May 11, 2013 12:09 am

rocknroller wrote:
londonflash wrote: Neil Lennon is heavily backed and the odds on him have reduced dramatically, but I wouldn't be in favour of that. While he did lead Celtic to a CL win over Barca, my cat could coach Celtic to the SPL title.

I agree with you that its no big deal winning the SPL, but lenny did alot more than just the win over barca, qualifying for the CL,gettin to the last 16 on limited resources ! and also did well in the europa last year too.but hey i hope thet bill kenwright sees it your way too and lenny stays at the club he loves ! i will be there tomorrow helping him cheers on another SPL title and another go at next years CL !!!

Hope you enjoy mate!

Sat May 11, 2013 12:23 am

londonflash wrote:
rocknroller wrote:

Hope you enjoy mate!

Cheers mate :)

Sat May 11, 2013 12:26 pm

Without doubt the greatest manager EVER no one will ever match his record of 38 trophies and a 27 year rein at one club,only when he's gone will people appreciate what a ledgend this man is.i know other rival fans don't like him but I bet deep down they wish fergie had been at their club doin what he did at man utd. He was a born winner and was ruthless at getting what he wanted from the players including letting players go like ruud van nistelroy, jaap stam ,Roy keane, David beckham, the list goes on but the departure of these players never stopped him from winning more trophies and bringing in a replacement for them or having a replacement lined up ie ronaldo for beckham.while others were scratching their heads as to why he let them go?

Sat May 11, 2013 1:24 pm

myalfie wrote:Without doubt the greatest manager EVER no one will ever match his record of 38 trophies and a 27 year rein at one club,only when he's gone will people appreciate what a ledgend this man is.i know other rival fans don't like him but I bet deep down they wish fergie had been at their club doin what he did at man utd. He was a born winner and was ruthless at getting what he wanted from the players including letting players go like ruud van nistelroy, jaap stam ,Roy keane, David beckham, the list goes on but the departure of these players never stopped him from winning more trophies and bringing in a replacement for them or having a replacement lined up ie ronaldo for beckham.while others were scratching their heads as to why he let them go?

Good post.

He also won an additional 10 trophies with Aberdeen including the European Cup Winners Cup, beating Bayern Munich and Real Madrid to win it. He also broke the Old Firm and dominated Scottish football. Remember those 2 clubs are in a completely different league to Aberdeen in terms of finance and support etc and he regulary beat them on their own patch (Celtic in particular had a good team then).

I was a kid when he was at Aberdeen but I remember the newspapers were full of reports that Alex would be leaving and going to Spurs, stating that it was a done deal !!..... he apparently turned them down as he wanted the Man Utd job.

Imagine how different it would have been if he had went to Spurs(or Arsenal who also wanted him at the time also)

I would say Man City and Chelsea have better players overall than Man Utd. There was a article a few weeks by an ex pro footballer and current Sky Sports commentator ..Davie Provan... in which he stated the same opinion as mine about the squads at the above clubs(being better). He said the difference was Fergie... thats why Man Utd won the league.

Moyes will do a good job. Fergie will see to it.

Mon May 13, 2013 5:00 pm

The fact that he only won 2 European cups in all that time actually challenges the fact that he was the greatest manager ever, Bill Shankly, Bob Paisley, Brian Clough, Matt Busby, Jock Stein and others are well deserving of a mention, Paisley won 3 European Cups in 8 years, Clough won as many European cups as Fergie in a lot shorter time, there is no denying that he is/was the best of the modern era but to say that he's the greatest of all time is debatable, it's like anything else, I think Muhammad Ali is the greatest ever boxer but my dad thinks Rocky Marciano is. :lol:

Mon May 13, 2013 5:25 pm

I am a lifelong Liverpool fan and i have problem in saying that Fergie is the greatest manager ever. And if those fans that hate him were honest with themselves i am sure that they wish they had Fergie manage their team all those years i wish Liverpool had him and not some of the second rate managers we had. King Kenny my bollix. He dragged LFC through the mud a couple of years ago along with Suarez.

Mon May 13, 2013 7:14 pm

memfisking wrote:I am a lifelong Liverpool fan and i have problem in saying that Fergie is the greatest manager ever. And if those fans that hate him were honest with themselves i am sure that they wish they had Fergie manage their team all those years i wish Liverpool had him and not some of the second rate managers we had. King Kenny my bollix. He dragged LFC through the mud a couple of years ago along with Suarez.

King Kenny the player...son....King Kenny the player.

And Dalglish didn't do so bad as manager first time around winning.. 3 titles..2 FA cups..4 Charity shields with Liverpool. He also won the premier league whilst at Blackburn in 95. After he came back he won the League cup with Liverpool in 2012. But to be honest he had been out of football too long by then.

As well as being the best LFC player they have ever had.