burning, ripping, decoding ,codec'', etc..
Moderators: promiseland/JimmyCool

Forum rules

Forum rules
Note: Before any posting relating to Software is done in this Forum & FECC as whole. ALL SOFTWARE must be Legal in accordance to Copyrights and Licensing per Vender . If we become aware, the material you are linking or trading is Illegal for all to see. Your thread, post and Account will be removed by FECC immediately ! What you do in private between members is of course, No concern of ours.

Need Router Booster. Which is best?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:06 pm

Dead spots in this corner.

Booster? New one?

What do I do?

Any router people here? It's a good router! But this area is a problem.

Anyone?

Thanks,
rjm

Re: Need Router Booster. Which is best?

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:37 pm

I need help. At night, the WiFi cuts in and out. Need a router booster or something.

I have a GREAT router!! Dual band, top of the line. Dec. 2011.

Is that the the problem? Too old?

It works great except over and in the garage.

rjm

Sat Apr 27, 2013 1:57 pm

Have you tried connecting the laptop using a Static IP Address? I've reserved addresses for all the WiFi devices in our house and it definitely helps. My Kindle would not connect at all, and now it does, so it's worth a try.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:51 am

The Pirate wrote:Have you tried connecting the laptop using a Static IP Address? I've reserved addresses for all the WiFi devices in our house and it definitely helps. My Kindle would not connect at all, and now it does, so it's worth a try.

Well, it's not a laptop; it's either my phone (Galaxy Note II), or an IPad. The Kindle Paperwhite goes in and out, but is actually much more stable. It's an e-reader, not the Fire tablet.

As to your suggestion, I have NO IDEA how to do what you are suggesting.

Secondly, at night it cuts out at the edges of the house over the garage, but in the morning, it works okay! Well, it holds the signal. I don't get that. I've heard of such things, but I don't understand it. It works perfect on the SMART TV side of the room, but the signal weakens just about meter away . . . I can tell where it's getting stronger: you just hit the WiFi settings on your phone, walk around, and it tells you. Very peculiar.

I have another router. It's a weaker one, but if I knew how to make it into a booster, I would. Never used it because it came with the ISP, and it came too late. So I bought a GREAT router, and that other box is unopened. I would have no clue what to do with it.

So there are a few spots . . . and times! If you just walk closer to the signal, it gets "strong" or "excellent." And then, walk away, and it gets "good" or "weak" and then cuts out. And then pops in a bit again. In the morning, though, it's much better, and holds a connection!

It sounds like some sort of interference. I read that metal and moisture can do that. Maybe it's 'cause the other wall there is a bathroom? :smt017

As for creating a "static IP address," I've never done that. No clue. In November, 2011, I didn't know what WiFi and 3G/4G were! So, I don't understand why it does this.

rjm

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm no expert, and I just pick things up as I go along, but my own real life experiences have shown that dropped connections were caused - in our house - by two things. First was interference from a new telephone set. The handsets were operating on the same frequency as the router, although you said that your router is dual band so I'm guessing that ought to get round the problem. Anyone else know about that? The second thing, which is covered by what I just said, was when we had a new boiler fitted and the plumber gave us a WiFi thermostat for the first time ever. We overcame these things by getting a new telephone that used a different frequency, and as for the thermostat that was where the Static IP Addresses helped. I'll come back to that.

The other thing that I did was install something called inSSIDer http://www.metageek.net/products/inssider/ which allows me to check and see what channel everyone else around me was broadcasting on, and if necessary change my channel. Too many people on the same channel can knock out a signal, although I do wonder how many people would have to be sharing a channel for that to happen.

So to that IP Address thing. Every router is different, I think, but what I have to do is go to my router setup page, and look for a heading called "LAN IP Setup", where there is an "Address reservation" section. I click on "Add", and take it from there. But to be honest, at that point I'm going to say "Google it" for your own router, rather than tell you something which may not apply in your case.

Sun May 05, 2013 10:37 am

Oh, wow! Very complex. Head spinning.

Yes, Google it! Actually, I have started. But it's still out of my league. For now.

The major problem is with the smartphone. I need it to not be interfered with. And yes, new landline phones.

And who knows what else. It doesn't effect the new WIFI television in the same space.

Is that perhaps it?! The new TV? Hmmmm. Yeah!

I would need to set up a static address for my phone. Have NO CLUE as to how to do that.

Because the waves are here. They aren't reaching the phone properly.

Thanks. I will eventually solve it. Or, call in The Geek Squad. Shouldn't cost too much. But for Heaven's sake, I should be able to do this!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sun May 05, 2013 11:52 am

rjm wrote:Oh, wow! Very complex. Head spinning.

Yes, Google it! Actually, I have started. But it's still out of my league. For now.

The major problem is with the smartphone. I need it to not be interfered with. And yes, new landline phones.

And who knows what else. It doesn't effect the new WIFI television in the same space.

Is that perhaps it?! The new TV? Hmmmm. Yeah!

I would need to set up a static address for my phone. Have NO CLUE as to how to do that.

Because the waves are here. They aren't reaching the phone properly.

Thanks. I will eventually solve it. Or, call in The Geek Squad. Shouldn't cost too much. But for Heaven's sake, I should be able to do this!

rjm

rjm I've read this over and over, and still can't make out a thing you're talking about. :facep:

Sun May 05, 2013 12:43 pm

I'm having a difficult time with it myself.

Apparently, WiFi is subject to interference. The signal is excellent to the television, which has built-in WiFi.

My phone is having great difficulty in the same physical area.

I believe I understand what he means for me to do with the IP addresses. I just don't know how. Not yet.

Look it up under WiFi interference. There can be problems with multiple devices going at once. Especially some distance from the router.

Oh, the router is Linksys. And they have that page with the settings.

rjm

Sun May 05, 2013 1:23 pm

Again I am loathe to say too much, simply because although I know exactly how to deal with my router, I'm not really sure what it is that I am doing or why. I'm like a parrot, mimicking what I've been shown. One of the things that can make it easier though, is getting the MAC code for each device you want to reserve an address for. On my router, all I do is input the MAC code on the relevant set up screen, create an address - which is basically just the same set of numbers each time, but with a different final digit or two (of your own choice) - and hit "OK" or "add".

None of this may help in the end, but I do know that the last resort would be to pay somebody to sort it out. I've rarely ever rung a tech support line where they haven't been working from a script, and this means spending the first ten to twenty minutes going through a series of procedures which I already know are going to prove irrelevant. When you're paying for phone calls by the minute, or for in-home assistance by the half hour, it can be an expensive and frustrating business.

Our broadband connection kept going off. Daily in some cases. Over the course of several months - yes, months - I was making weekly calls to the Internet company trying to get it sorted. Each time I rang I would speak to somebody new, and each time they told me to do the same old crap like switching off and on again, hard resets, disabling my virus checker (oh yes....) because "there might have been an update during the night which corrupted the settings." I think they may have made that one up, just to try and flummox me. I was this close to changing providers. In the end I found a web page with details about the exact same problem I was having. I had to download some third party firmware and apply it to my router, then make adjustments to the settings which allowed me to slow down the connection manually, because it turns out that the wiring in my house is too old and frail to support the phenomenally fast (8MB, I'm being just a little bit sarcastic) package which my company is charging me for. It worked, but can you believe I had to find all that out for myself?

So what I am saying is, there can be a million and one reasons why something doesn't work, and sometimes it's trial and error to sort it out. What you don't want to do unless you are at the ripping your hair out stage, is pay somebody to do all the trial and error stuff for you. That would be my advice.

Oh yeah, while I think about it - a bit obvious, but have you gone down the "switch everything else off and see if it works" route yet? You said the TV was the newest piece of equipment. Can you turn off the WiFi on that for a few days to see how it goes?

Sun May 05, 2013 1:38 pm

Apparently, what you are trying to do may be specifically called "DHCP Reservation" with the Linskys router. I don't know if that helps or confuses matters even more. What is the model number?

Tue May 07, 2013 9:57 am

The Pirate wrote:Apparently, what you are trying to do may be specifically called "DHCP Reservation" with the Linskys router. I don't know if that helps or confuses matters even more. What is the model number?

I have to look that up. I wonder if it's on that special page. I will take a look. I won't change anything; just take a look.

E4200.

That's the model number. I didn't go in yet. There are so many settings!

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 10:14 am

I did it. I am still breathing, but I did it. There was a help page on Linksys, and it told you what to do. I can't believe I did this.

So far, my laptop is still connected to the Internet.

I will find out if this helps tonight, or if you have to specify each device.

{holding breath}

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 10:40 am

I am upstairs, right near the Big TV. And my phone is connected!

I think you did it, Pirate!!

Thank you!!!!!!!

rjm

Tue May 07, 2013 10:44 am

I am upstairs.

At first, it snapped in real nice.

Hard sending this message. Try again.

Sent via 4g. Ah well. Didn't do any harm. Perhaps I have to specify all devices. Tomorrow.

Thank you! It'll happen.

rjm
P.S. -- 1:42 AM. "Not in range." Need booster, I guess. The TV in the same room works fine. I dunno. Need the Geek Squad.

Tue May 07, 2013 2:25 pm

rjm wrote:I am upstairs.

At first, it snapped in real nice.

Hard sending this message. Try again.

Sent via 4g. Ah well. Didn't do any harm. Perhaps I have to specify all devices. Tomorrow.

Thank you! It'll happen.

rjm
P.S. -- 1:42 AM. "Not in range." Need booster, I guess. The TV in the same room works fine. I dunno. Need the Geek Squad.

I wouldn't hold your breath, it's maybe more to do with eliminating possibilities. At least if you end up having to pay someone you can say "I already tried this, and this..."

Like you say, it definitely won't do any harm. And it's all reversible.

Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:37 pm

I found the solution. It's a Jelly Bean 4.1.2 bug. It's in the "bad for Galaxy" topic in this software section.

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77038

It basically affects the Note II. I have a full year before I can get the Note III. October likely release on that, but I have a contract.

So, found the danged solution!

It works! It will be fully solved forever when they finally roll out 4.2.2, but for now, it's solved.

I knew it was something in the phone, cause my Big Smart TV had NO WiFi problems. Same room. Even the Paperwhite works. But I found it.

It's not hardware, thank heaven!

Whew!

http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=77038

Go to the last post there that I made. How about that? Settings through the phone dialer!!!! Amazing!

Thanks again!

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 4 Beta