Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: March 25, 1961 Honolulu, HI. Bloch Arena show questions

Wed May 01, 2013 8:22 pm

ekenee wrote:And you are incorrect in that they have released new material ...

What previously-unreleased Elvis music has been issued on CD by this grey-market label?

Wed May 01, 2013 8:57 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:And you are incorrect in that they have released new material ...

What previously-unreleased Elvis music has been issued on CD by this grey-market label?

For all to notice, see how he changed his words from material to music. Nice slight of hand there doctor, but I won't take the bait.

You have been corrected before.

They have offered NEW "material".

Wed May 01, 2013 9:28 pm

davie2001 wrote:From what I have been hearing we could be in a long wait for an official release of "I Forgot To Remember"... but thankfully we have a great sounding version on the MRS release...

As I and every other Elvis fan already had that live performance from the same source MRS used, I didn't see the need to buy that CD... same goes for the other tracks on this CD copied directly from Sony releases "Young Man With The Big Beat" and "A Boy From Tupelo". You must admit, this info from their website is a tad misleading...

GREATEST LIVE HITS OF THE 50'S
1CD DIGI
The 24 track CD is most varied compilation to date, containing only the best live performances, making the ultimate live set list of the 1950's. All the tracks contained have been remastered and are of the best quality to date. It contains 9 recently discovered unreleased tracks including a live version of Elvis' first hit, 'I Forgot to Remember to Forget' and a brand new song 'Little Mama'.

TRACKLISTING:

01. Good Rockin' Tonight - Eagles' Hall, Houston, Texas, March 19, 1955.
02. Baby Let's Play House - Eagles' Hall, Houston, Texas, March 19, 1955.
03. That's All Right* - Meridian, Mississippi, May 26, 1955.
04. Little Mama* - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, March 5, 1955
05. You're a Heartbreaker* - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, March 5, 1955
06. Tweedle Dee* - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, March 5, 1955
07. I Don't Care If the Sun Don't Shine - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, January 22, 1955
08. Hearts of Stone* - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, March 5, 1955
09. Blue Moon of Kentucky - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, October 16, 1954
10. I Got A Woman - Eagles' Hall, Houston, Texas, March 19, 1955.
11. Maybelline - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, August 20, 1955
12. I'm Left You're Right She's Gone - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, July 2, 1955
13. I' Forgot To Remember to Forget* - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, October, 1955
14. Shake Rattle & Roll* - WJOI Radio, Florence, Alabama January 19, 1955
15. Heartbreak Hotel - Robinson Memorial Auditorium, Little Rock, Arkansas, May 16 1956
16. Long Tall Sally - Robinson Memorial Auditorium, Little Rock, Arkansas, May 16 1956
17. Money Honey - Robinson Memorial Auditorium, Little Rock, Arkansas, May 16 1956
18. I Was the One - Mississippi Alabama Fair & Dairy Show, Tupelo, Mississippi, Afternoon Show, September 26th 1956
19. Blue Suede Shoes - Mississippi Alabama Fair & Dairy Show, Tupelo, Mississippi, Evening Show, September 26th 1956
20. Paralyzed - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, December 15, 1955
21. Don't Be Cruel - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, December 15, 1955
22. Hound Dog - Mississippi Alabama Fair & Dairy Show, Tupelo, Mississippi, Evening Show September 26th 1956

Bonus Tracks:

23. Money Honey* - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, March 5, 1955
24. Shake, Rattle & Roll* - Louisiana Hayride, Shreveport, Louisiana, March 5, 1955

* Previously unreleased track

Wed May 01, 2013 9:31 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
davie2001 wrote:From what I have been hearing we could be in a long wait for an official release of "I Forgot To Remember"... but thankfully we have a great sounding version on the MRS release...

As I and every other Elvis fan already had that live performance from the same source MRS used, I didn't see the need to buy that CD... same goes for the other tracks on this CD copied directly from Sony releases "Young Man With The Big Beat" and "A Boy From Tupelo". You must admit, this info from their website is a tad misleading...

Maybe just a smidge misleading. ;-)

Thank God they are a LEGAL label (in some countries). :D

Wed May 01, 2013 10:32 pm

davie2001 wrote:true, but bootleggers use that wording all the time, and MRS has been in the world of bootlegging too at one point with a couple of fine releases too ...

Really? ;-)

Wed May 01, 2013 11:10 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:One last comment from me, carloselvis.

Do note that I simply replied to your query that my go-to disc, the original digital source, is on RCA's Elvis Aron Presley.

The recent tweaking of this original source by a grey market label "fills in" a few audio noises, sounds that are actually a part of the 1961 concert recording, which is one reason it is not my "go-to" disc. I don't want my copy of this legendary show to be altered.

And, unlike what others have said, you can pick up a copy of Elvis Aron Presley, a fabulous 4 CD set, for about $44.00, which is a bargain, and well worth it.

Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Elvis Aron Presley: The Silver Box Set
http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B00000637U/ref=dp_olp_used

The collection also includes most of a very good Dallas show from June 1975, a concert from May 1956 in Las Vegas, and lots of neat studio outtakes and other cool live tracks from 1968-1977. It also has a beautiful booklet filled with color photos and terrific liner notes.

Anyway, I sincerely hope my answers are helpful.

::rocks

drjohncarpenter wrote:The official RCA release of 3-21-1961 is my go-to source:

Elvis Aron Presley (RCA/BMG 07863 67455, 1998)
Note: this is the CD version of the 1980 LP box set.

If any of the show was filmed, nothing has surfaced in more than 50 years since it happened.

I bought two sets of the LP edition when they first came out in 1980, and I bought the second box set because of not taking proper care of the records. I also bought the bootleg LP, which was the first time that I heard this concert. 8)

Wed May 01, 2013 11:19 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
rlj4ep wrote:Are the MRS releases actually "legal"? And if they are "legal" would that include purchasing them here in the United States?

You can purchase from Amazon.co.uk if you live in the U.S. - see the link below:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Such-Night-Pearl-Harbor-Page/dp/B00745HD9U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1367428193&sr=8-1&keywords=elvis+pearl+harbor

Memphis Recording Service (MRS) is what some consider a grey-market product. While it is legal to purchase this product from that site if you live in the United States, it is not legal to sell the MRS product in the U.S. - due to the laws in the U.S. and the U.K. being different in that respect. While I'm not a fan of some of the products MRS has issued in the past, I did in fact purchase this CD and I'm not sorry I did. It's a beautiful package and the CD is certainly a bonus... there are some sound fluctuations repaired from the RCA release making for a more pleasant listening experience.

Thanks very much for helping me understand the difference. I really appreciate your help.

rlj

Wed May 01, 2013 11:38 pm

davie2001 wrote:true, but bootleggers use that wording all the time...

I don't agree with that statement for two reasons:
1. MRS markets themselves as producing legitimate releases
2. Many, many classic boot labels such as Fort Baxter, Rock Legends, DAE, Vicky, 2001, Ampex, Audifon, Bilko, Live Archives and Madison actually issued unreleased recordings... something MRS has yet to do.

Thu May 02, 2013 4:25 am

Thanks to all of You elvis fans! I think i will keep the Elvis aron presley box and if i see the mrs in good price, i will buy it!

Thanks again guys!

Thu May 02, 2013 4:30 am

carloselvis wrote:Thanks to all of You elvis fans! I think i will keep the Elvis aron presley box and if i see the mrs in good price, i will buy it!

Thanks again guys!

You already have the box set? Good move. ;-)

Thu May 02, 2013 4:55 am

The 1961 concert sounds better on MRS's "Such A Night In Pearl Harbor," but "Elvis Aron Presley (a.k.a. The Silver Box)" is a stunning box-set, one of the best of 'em all... and every Elvis' fan should have it in his collection.

Thu May 02, 2013 7:31 am

JimmyCool wrote:The 1961 concert sounds better on MRS's "Such A Night In Pearl Harbor," but "Elvis Aron Presley (a.k.a. The Silver Box)" is a stunning box-set, one of the best of 'em all... and every Elvis' fan should have it in his collection.

I completely agree. I was blown away by the silver box back in 1980.

Thu May 02, 2013 9:05 am

I support the main label and always have. I got the silver box when it came out on vinyl and have it on CD.

The 'go to' version is UNDOUBTEDLY the MRS set.

The tweaks that have been mentioned have IMPROVED the experience of listening to this amazing concert.

If anyone can improve it even further, be it SONY OR MRS OR ANY OTHER LABEL, then I will get this in a heartbeat.

elvisonline

Thu May 02, 2013 3:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
carloselvis wrote:Thanks to all of You elvis fans! I think i will keep the Elvis aron presley box and if i see the mrs in good price, i will buy it!

Thanks again guys!

You already have the box set? Good move. ;-)

Yes great buy, and MRS version of the Show would be a great addition, I have both as do most by the sounds of it and no one seems disappointed apart from the Doc, :wink: but that's only because his chum let him down, or he didn't think the Doc's sleeve notes were good enough :oops: :wink: , I guess we'll never know the truth behind "For God And Country" only that it was a failed attempt to scupper the MRS release. :smt006

Thu May 02, 2013 3:53 pm

JimmyCool wrote:every Elvis' fan should have it in his collection.

What about us girls?

Thu May 02, 2013 6:16 pm

Rob wrote:
JimmyCool wrote:every Elvis' fan should have it in his collection.

What about us girls?

We like to be called, young women.