Off Topic Messages

Re: Rick Nelson's Final, Unreleased 1985 Album for Curb Reco

Mon Feb 04, 2013 8:59 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:Thank you so much for posting the unreleased Rick songs. Incredible. I can't imagine them NOT being released!

I agree, they are excellent tracks - even in their not-quite-finished state. Sadly, as I noted above, Rick's kids do not agree. In fact, David Nelson said some years ago that he did not want these recordings released. Elvis fans have it so good - I realise Rick is nowhere near the star Elvis is, but we've heard practically every utterance Elvis ever made in the studio. We've gotten very little unreleased stuff from the Nelson vaults. The family is worried that releasing these tracks will taint Rick's legacy. Well, to that I say - chickencrap! :x

Mon Feb 04, 2013 3:50 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:Thank you so much for posting the unreleased Rick songs. Incredible. I can't imagine them NOT being released!

I agree, they are excellent tracks - even in their not-quite-finished state. Sadly, as I noted above, Rick's kids do not agree. In fact, David Nelson said some years ago that he did not want these recordings released. Elvis fans have it so good - I realise Rick is nowhere near the star Elvis is, but we've heard practically every utterance Elvis ever made in the studio. We've gotten very little unreleased stuff from the Nelson vaults. The family is worried that releasing these tracks will taint Rick's legacy. Well, to that I say - chickencrap! :x

And I agree totally that there's no way that these tracks (or possibly any un-released stuff) could "taint" Rick's legacy. It's been almost twenty-eight years since Rick left us (way too soon, I might add) and, to quote his brother, David, at the end of the television special, "Rick Nelson - A Brother Remembers": "there are a lot of people down here still listening."

BTW, whatever happened to the licensing agreement that the Nelsons' once had with EPE to handle Rick's work? Did something go wrong between EPE and the Nelsons to sever their ties?

Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:51 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Lonely Summer wrote:

And I agree totally that there's no way that these tracks (or possibly any un-released stuff) could "taint" Rick's legacy. It's been almost twenty-eight years since Rick left us (way too soon, I might add) and, to quote his brother, David, at the end of the television special, "Rick Nelson - A Brother Remembers": "there are a lot of people down here still listening."

BTW, whatever happened to the licensing agreement that the Nelsons' once had with EPE to handle Rick's work? Did something go wrong between EPE and the Nelsons to sever their ties?

I wish I knew, but I've talked to enough people close to the Nelsons to realise Rick's kids have no clue what they are doing.

Thu May 02, 2013 5:58 am

phpBB [video]

Here is a montage video of Rick performing "Rock 'N' Roll Fool" on YouTube. Let me know if someone comes across better audio.

Thu May 02, 2013 7:24 am

It sounds pitched way too fast.

Thu May 02, 2013 7:29 am

The masters could be remixed and add new overdubs to complete the tracks ?