Re: April 1958 --> The Best of Times, The Worst of Times

Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:09 am

ColinB wrote:But it goes against the 'stunning, bordering on cocky' publicity that RCA were drumming up...............................

The ad is from 1958, the assessment is from 1999.

::rocks

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:08 am

I updated this topic with a bigger scan from Billboard of that cool ad.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:33 am

I always liked Wear My Ring Aound Your Neck and to my way of thinking rated better than "Don't"

The million dollar advance sales is a little confusing...........during this time that many copies were sent out to dealers who had the right to return those not sold. Lke magazines today.

The advance was not counted as sales by Billboard.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:44 pm

Thanks, Doc! Really cool stuff. I always tried to make like I didn't like it (he usually didn't go for "high school" lyrics), but whenever I was in a diner, with those in-the-booth jukeboxes, I'd pick it every time! I really liked it.

And thanks for the info about him getting on his motorcycle to see about Bill. I had no idea. That really makes a differerence! (I know that there was bitterness on both ends, but mostly Bill felt aggrieved, and Elvis was upset that he felt that way . . . nice to know that he was really a man about it.)

Great topic, and you put so much work into it, as per usual!

rjm

Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:41 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:The million dollar advance sales is a little confusing...........during this time that many copies were sent out to dealers who had the right to return those not sold. Lke magazines today.

The advance was not counted as sales by Billboard.

My understanding is that the Billboard charts were not based solely on record sales but on a confusing mixture of sales, airplay and perhaps other factors too.

Nice original post, John, thank you: I love those occasions were Elvis cared enough to re-work / re-visit a recording to take it to the place where he wanted it to be.

Sat Feb 04, 2012 10:45 pm

Great post Doc. I always enjoyed that single and 'Dontcha Think it's Time' in particuler is still a favourite. I remember being in Hastings the summer of '58 and putting 6pence (21/2 new pence) in the jukebox to play 'Ring' and my 11 year old companion Wendy (I wonder where she is now) wouldn't stop talking! I had to tell her to shut up and listen as I couldn't afford to put it on again. Ah those sweet Memories!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:32 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Well, the U.S. Army may have shaved Elvis' locks and sent him off to Fort Hood, Texas about a week before, but RCA was undaunted.

On April 7, 1958, Presley's first single of the New Year was issued:

"Wear My Ring Around Your Neck" b/w "Doncha' Think It's Time" (RCA Victor 47-7240)
Image courtesy of the amazing site, www.elvisrecords.us | The Elvis Presley Record Research Database

A stunning, bordering on cocky, full-page ad appeared in Billboard on the same day:

Billboard Apr 7 1958 p45.JPG

Billboard - April 7, 1958

The A-side was completed in two sessions at Radio Recorders in West Hollywood, on February 1 and February 26, 1958.

The second date is significant in that it was a special "overdub" session, commandeered by Presley himself.

Deeming the original master not attractive enough to be a hit, Elvis laid down a guitar back beat overdub, followed by a piano overdub.

The master at work, and just 23 years old!

The RCA ad was no lie, initial sales were huge!

Billboard - April 14, 1958

The single flew up the charts but, despite the extra overdub effort, it only reached #2 U.S. Pop.

Billboard - April 28, 1958

The next two years would see Elvis mostly out of commission, at the height of his young powers.

And, save a brief, last-minute "King Creole" session at Paramount, the single also marked original bass player Bill Black's final recordings with Presley.

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.

Good post. I have a stone mint copy of this USA 45rpm in my collection. Not a rare or expensive item but still nice to have.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 8:40 pm

Mike C wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:Nice documentation in that initial post, thanks Doc.
This single isn't among my 50's favourites, I find it the blandest of his regular single releases to that point, especially Doncha Think It's Time. The Don't Be Cruel guitar back-beat sound had run its course by that point, I think.
My favourite version of Ring is actually Bruce Springsteen's breakneck live take from the mid-70's.

phpBB [video]

That's terrible!!!

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:19 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Good post. I have a stone mint copy of this USA 45rpm in my collection. Not a rare or expensive item but still nice to have.

Only good? ;-)

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Mike C wrote:
This single isn't among my 50's favourites, I find it the blandest of his regular single releases to that point, especially Doncha Think It's Time. The Don't Be Cruel guitar back-beat sound had run its course by that point, I think.
My favourite version of Ring is actually Bruce Springsteen's breakneck live take from the mid-70's.

phpBB [video]

That's terrible!!!

Your assessment of 25 year-old Springsteen's December 1974 cover is harsh. He's clearly a fan in an era when Presley's star was slipping, he chooses to cover a Presley track that few would tackle, and he gives it a nice New Orleans R&B feel instead of just a slavish, straight arrangement. It's terrific.

Plus, Bruce is only known to have done it 11 times, in concerts between 1974 and 1979:

Brucebase - Wear My Ring (Around your Neck)
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Wear+My+Ring+(Around+Your+Neck)

Tue Jan 22, 2013 10:30 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Good post. I have a stone mint copy of this USA 45rpm in my collection. Not a rare or expensive item but still nice to have.

Only good? ;-)

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Mike C wrote:

phpBB [video]

That's terrible!!!

Your assessment of 25 year-old Springsteen's December 1974 cover is harsh. He's clearly a fan in an era when Presley's star was slipping, he chooses to cover a Presley track that few would tackle, and he gives it a nice New Orleans R&B feel instead of just a slavish, straight arrangement. It's terrific.

Plus, Bruce is only known to have done it 11 times, in concerts between 1974 and 1979:

Brucebase - Wear My Ring (Around your Neck)
http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Wear+My+Ring+(Around+Your+Neck)

Bruce Springsteen is not my cup of tea, i'm afraid...sorry.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:11 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Bruce Springsteen is not my cup of tea, i'm afraid...sorry.

That's a shame.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 11:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Bruce Springsteen is not my cup of tea, i'm afraid...sorry.

That's a shame.

I'm not a Springsteen fan, either.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:03 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I'm not a Springsteen fan, either.

That's unfortunate -- he's something special.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 2:14 am

I certainly prefer the 23 year old Elvis version to the 25 year old Bruce one :!: Nonetheless I did enjoy Springsteen's rendition and considering it was live it was pretty good. I also liked the way he mentioned 'The King' at the end, a definate fellow fan 8)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 9:43 am

Although I'm not a fan of Springsteen's music, I like the fact that he has great respect for the pioneers of rock 'n' roll.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:17 am

Bruce's version is certainly heartfelt, and that's what matters.

My brain is kinda cloudy right now, so does anyone know if he did any post-comeback Elvis material? If not "If I Can Dream" (although why the heck not?), then at least maybe "Suspicious Minds." Or "Clean Up Your Own Backyard." (Well, that's hard to ask anyone, because the lyrics are so difficult to catch. But they're good!) Any of those type songs, really? (Not to mention Elvis's pastiche with "Men With Broken Hearts" - or Elvis's rendering of it.)

rjm

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:04 pm

rjm wrote:Bruce's version is certainly heartfelt, and that's what matters.

My brain is kinda cloudy right now, so does anyone know if he did any post-comeback Elvis material? If not "If I Can Dream" (although why the heck not?), then at least maybe "Suspicious Minds." Or "Clean Up Your Own Backyard." (Well, that's hard to ask anyone, because the lyrics are so difficult to catch. But they're good!) Any of those type songs, really? (Not to mention Elvis's pastiche with "Men With Broken Hearts" - or Elvis's rendering of it.)

rjm

http://brucebase.wikispaces.com/Suspicious+Minds