Billboard 1977 --> Elvis In Concert is #1!

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:03 am

In honor of certain "products" hitting the market soon, some might be pleased to see this:

Elvis In Concert is #1!

Billboard - November 12, 1977

The double LP peaks at #1 on the Billboard Country chart this week, and one sees five more Presley albums in the Top 20 (Moody Blue, How Great Thou Art, His Hand In Mine, Welcome To My World and Pure Gold)!

Another half-dozen LPs fill out the middle of the chart.

What's up with that?

Simple: fans are devastated over the loss of their hero, and he's been all over the national news and network TV for weeks. So they reach for the music to help make the tragedy a little less painful.

"If you think I'm nervous, you're right."

But ... it was a Blue Christmas in 1977.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Billboard 1977 --> Elvis In Concert is #1!

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:20 am

Great album!

Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:34 am

...look at all the other Elvis albums also on that chart! It was quite Elvismania following his death, & also "The King is Gone"... I remember everyone buying alot of Elvis albums thinking that there wouldn't be anymore!

JEFF d
EP fan

Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:44 am

I'd check out the Elvis record bins as a habit. I kept my collection updated as the albums were released. However, for many places at the time, Elvis albums were difficult to keep in stock.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:06 am

Thank you for posting this DJC, very interesting to see.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 3:11 pm

Interesting! Thanks Doc!´

Regards Björn

Fri Jan 14, 2011 5:45 pm

Thanks, Doc. Seeing that list really brought back a lot of memories (some of them painful), but it was good to see the list nontheless. Again, thanks.

Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:27 pm

Yes, brings memories back indeed. I became a fan in 1977 and after "Elvis Forever" and "Elvis In Person", "Elvis In Concert" was my third album that I bought. Never forget what I felt when I first heard him sing "Hurt" and "My Way"..

Fri Jan 14, 2011 9:44 pm

the number of his albums on that chart is amazing. Thanks...

Steve Lecher

Fri Jan 14, 2011 11:30 pm

Wow, I knew there were a lot of Elvis albums on the chart, but not that many! Just amazing.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:31 am

I remember reading that RCA sold an astonishing 200 million Elvis records during the year after his death and in the first three years after his death, he earned more money than he did in his entire career.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:34 am

Interesting...Thanks.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 3:10 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:Thank you for posting this DJC, very interesting to see.

dreambear wrote:Interesting! Thanks Doc!´

Regards Björn

JerryNodak wrote:Thanks, Doc. Seeing that list really brought back a lot of memories (some of them painful), but it was good to see the list nontheless. Again, thanks.

stevelecher wrote:the number of his albums on that chart is amazing. Thanks...

Steve Lecher

Lonely Summer wrote:Wow, I knew there were a lot of Elvis albums on the chart, but not that many! Just amazing.

EPA4368 wrote:I remember reading that RCA sold an astonishing 200 million Elvis records during the year after his death and in the first three years after his death, he earned more money than he did in his entire career.

Scarre wrote:Interesting...Thanks.

You're all very welcome.

And some claim I am a "1977 hater" -- no way!

Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:Thank you for posting this DJC, very interesting to see.

dreambear wrote:Interesting! Thanks Doc!´

Regards Björn

JerryNodak wrote:Thanks, Doc. Seeing that list really brought back a lot of memories (some of them painful), but it was good to see the list nontheless. Again, thanks.

stevelecher wrote:the number of his albums on that chart is amazing. Thanks...

Steve Lecher

Lonely Summer wrote:Wow, I knew there were a lot of Elvis albums on the chart, but not that many! Just amazing.

EPA4368 wrote:I remember reading that RCA sold an astonishing 200 million Elvis records during the year after his death and in the first three years after his death, he earned more money than he did in his entire career.

Scarre wrote:Interesting...Thanks.

You're all very welcome.

And some claim I am a "1977 hater" -- no way!

I think you might be just showing off for the 1977 lovers. I'm on to you.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:38 am

That country chart is well and good.

But what the Top 200 LP chart for the same week.

I suspect that low sellers can easily appear on the country chart.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:54 am

EIC was #7 on the regular LP chart that week. #1 was Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:07 am

8) Thanks a lot for this great post Doc and the update Frankie! 8)

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:32 am

To me what was on of the most impressive things about 77 is the wide variety of material the Elvis recorded in his shows. Granted it really was not anything that he did no do live since his comeback, but if you pair Elvis in Concert with FTD's Spring Tours and Unchained Melody he brought a lot of material to his 77 concerts. In fact I think it may rank among the first with the most varied amont of songs that he did since 69. I am just talking about songs that have live songs that have been released in the each individual year from 69 to 77 on RCA now Sony and FTD. Upon quick check between those 3 CD I think there might be around 38 differernt songs give or take a couple. For someone that was suppose to be in decline and there was some problems he did have a lot of variety,

Burning Love

Sat Jan 15, 2011 7:58 am

Nice post, Doc. That Google access to Billboard has been a fantastic asset to all of us Presley nuts here.

I actually remember that period really well and reading through that, recall how Elvis records were flying off the shelves and how my mother and brothers, were catching up on titles they missed ..and yes, "ELVIS IN CONCERT" was a pretty hot LP in our household that fall! (Plus the "My Way" single... :lol: ) It's very true that in our sadness, people wanted to make up for lost time. We had been enjoying reruns of his movies, "Golden Records" (I) , etc. but something about his death made us want to snap up every magazine with him on the cover, every slab of vinyl...

It was also the pre-internet era, so by buying you were sort of communicating your loyalties in a way that perhaps now folks do on a keyboard and screen.

We often listened to WHN- New York City's only country and western station and I recall many of the other tracks on this list...some good and ..some not so good!

I'd like to see the charts for CASHBOX and particularly RECORD WORLD at the time. I know that at the latter chain store, the ELvis section was stocked..and moved fast for a couple of years there. I had a mental list of what titles to get next. I was young enough that even in my sadness, there was still a period of discovery in hearing all this great music we hadn't bought --even though my mother bought her first Elvis singles starting in twenty years earlier...

I recall FLEETWOOD MAC being popular with my sister, but for a those over a certain age (by then at least 40, Elvis (and not just on country stations) was a marker of their lifetime and his death created a wave of mourning that I can safely say that was not at all matched by the outpouring upon Michael Jackson's death, although among some people, the impact was similar. This was a massive media event on a scale that was probably over-done but reflective of a real national loss of a native son "done good"..nevermind the global impact.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:31 am

Burning Love wrote:To me what was on of the most impressive things about 77 is the wide variety of material the Elvis recorded in his shows. Granted it really was not anything that he did no do live since his comeback, but if you pair Elvis in Concert with FTD's Spring Tours and Unchained Melody he brought a lot of material to his 77 concerts. In fact I think it may rank among the first with the most varied amont of songs that he did since 69. I am just talking about songs that have live songs that have been released in the each individual year from 69 to 77 on RCA now Sony and FTD. Upon quick check between those 3 CD I think there might be around 38 differernt songs give or take a couple. For someone that was suppose to be in decline and there was some problems he did have a lot of variety,

Burning Love

His band was a well-oiled machine. They were able to dig into the catalogue and handle the material. If only Elvis had put more effort into his craft because the amount of songs played doesn't represent the quality of the concerts from the period.

Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:16 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:EIC was #7 on the regular LP chart that week. #1 was Fleetwood Mac's Rumours.

And imo another awesome album...love Fleetwood Mac...

Sun Jan 16, 2011 5:55 am

KiwiAlan wrote:That country chart is well and good.

But what the Top 200 LP chart for the same week.

I suspect that low sellers can easily appear on the country chart.

All true,but bear in mind that in 1977 there was no "Catologue" chart,and no "Comprehensive Chart".
So,in determining which,and how many,Elvis LPs had their sales "spiked" by his death,us researchers have to comb charts like these and others like the Rack Jobbers lists.
Thanks for posting Doc.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:39 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote: I recall FLEETWOOD MAC being popular with my sister, but for a those

Always with the knocks on any other artist, no matter how justifiably beloved, who didn't happen to be Elvis Presley. Fleetwood Mac were popular with a hell of a lot of people, from MOR listeners to punks like me, and Rumours deserved all the sales it garnered. It is one of the finest albums ever released.
Elvis's passing was undeniably a deeply tragic passing of an era, it is a shame that EIC was the album that benefited from the attendant publicity, in my opinion. A comprehensive repackage of his classics would have been a better release.

Sun Jan 16, 2011 6:42 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote: I recall FLEETWOOD MAC being popular with my sister, but for a those

Always with the knocks on any other artist, no matter how justifiably beloved, who didn't happen to be Elvis Presley. Fleetwood Mac were popular with a hell of a lot of people, from MOR listeners to punks like me, and Rumours deserved all the sales it garnered. It is one of the finest albums ever released.
Elvis's passing was undeniably a deeply tragic passing of an era, it is a shame that EIC was the album that benefited from the attendant publicity, in my opinion. A comprehensive repackage of his classics would have been a better release.

I agree Frankie. Rumour's kicks a$$! Fleetwood Mac had so many good songs, Dreams, Rianna, Go Your Own Way, Gypsy, landslide....

Sun Jan 16, 2011 7:05 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:

I agree Frankie. Rumour's kicks a$$! Fleetwood Mac had so many good songs, Dreams, Rianna, Go Your Own Way, Gypsy, landslide....

Fleetwood Mac was a GREAT Pop/Rock group,and the "Rumours" LP was a must own for any high school student in '77(which I was!! :D )