Coming or Going ... Who Will Make It? (Dec 1955)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:39 am

This may be the first Billboard ad RCA placed for their newest star, promoting his former Sun-now RCA single, "I Forgot to Remember to Forget."

It would hit #1 on Billboard's Country chart in the new year.

The singer would go even further than that, and no longer share ad space with "the Singing Dogs."

Enjoy!

Billboard - Dec 31 1955 p14.JPG
Billboard - Dec 31 1955 p15.JPG
Billboard - two-page RCA ad, December 31, 1955
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Coming or Going ... Who Will Make It? (Dec 1955)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:43 am

Good stuff. :)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:10 am

Very Cool.

Amazing how one of the most legendary and seminal Rock n Roll cuts of all time was merely just a B-side to an average (in relation to "Mystery Train" anyway) country/pop effort and is basically listed here on the same standing as B-sides from Jaye P. Morgan "My Bewildered Heart" and "Steel Guitar" by Vaughn Monroe.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:18 am

Nice topic!

Those Ames Bros. scare the living daylights out of me, especially the one on the left.. creepy guy.

Elvis really stood out amongst other men.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ames_Brothers
Last edited by James27 on Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:24 am

Very nice doc, Thanks for posting this.

Mitch

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:32 am

Who the heck was Vaughn Monroe ?

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:43 am

TCB-FAN wrote:Who the heck was Vaughn Monroe ?

Vaughn Monroe ... was an American baritone singer, trumpeter and big band leader and actor, most popular in the 1940s and 1950s. He has two stars on the Hollywood Walk of Fame for recording and radio.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaughn_Monroe

Fri Dec 03, 2010 7:34 pm

James27 wrote:Nice topic!

Those Ames Bros. scare the living daylights out of me, especially the one on the left.. creepy guy.

They did "Sentimental Me" 11 years before Elvis did, never knew that.

phpBB [video]

Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:11 am

James27 wrote:Nice topic!

What about the dude on the right? Reminds me of Mr. Sardonicus.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:50 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:What about the dude on the right? Reminds me of Mr. Sardonicus.

IIRC, that's Vic Ames. Maybe it's not the best photo, they were pretty popular.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:52 pm

Yeah, I've heard them, and the other early 50's acts named The Whatever Brothers, The Whatever Sisters, The Four Whatevers, etc. What a dark time for music. Thank God that Elvis came along.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:56 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Yeah, I've heard them, and the other early 50's acts named The Whatever Brothers, The Whatever Sisters, The Four Whatevers, etc. What a dark time for music. Thank God that Elvis came along.

Have you clicked on that version of "Sentimental Me"? Their voices make me want to commit suicide. Awful.

Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:58 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Yeah, I've heard them, and the other early 50's acts named The Whatever Brothers, The Whatever Sisters, The Four Whatevers, etc. What a dark time for music. Thank God that Elvis came along.

Elvis loved 'em!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:05 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Elvis loved 'em!

Such is the beauty of paradox!

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:48 am

I would rather be forced to listen to early 50's vocal groups for the rest of my life then the crap called rap and hip hop

Mon Dec 06, 2010 8:04 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I would rather be forced to listen to early 50's vocal groups for the rest of my life then the crap called rap and hip hop

Look for trains.

Mon Dec 06, 2010 11:06 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:I would rather be forced to listen to early 50's vocal groups for the rest of my life then the crap called rap and hip hop

What about Death Metal?

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:26 am

Cool Ad Doc,thanks for posting.

norrie

Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:31 am

The Ames Brothers were a creepy looking bunch back then, were'nt they ?

Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:12 am

TCB-FAN wrote:The Ames Brothers were a creepy looking bunch back then, were'nt they ?

Well, at least in that RCA ad.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:17 am

I love seeing these old ads...when you look at Elvis and these other artists, it just shows you how different he was, so way ahead if his time. Just imagine going into a record shop to buy "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"...you could have either the RCA new pressing or the left over Sun ones

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:25 am

Don't forget that the group included Ed Ames. Elvis sang his 1967 hit "When the Snow Is on the Roses" in August of 1970 while Ed was sitting in the audience.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 2:48 am

I love seeing these old ads...when you look at Elvis and these other artists, it just shows you how different he was, so way ahead if his time. Just imagine going into a record shop to buy "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"...you could have either the RCA new pressing or the left over Su
n ones.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 3:36 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I love seeing these old ads...when you look at Elvis and these other artists, it just shows you how different he was, so way ahead if his time. Just imagine going into a record shop to buy "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"...you could have either the RCA new pressing or the left over Su
n ones.

Good point but probably if you were only in the South. I doubt Sun Records was distributed in the New York City area.

Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:23 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I love seeing these old ads...when you look at Elvis and these other artists, it just shows you how different he was, so way ahead if his time. Just imagine going into a record shop to buy "I Forgot To Remember To Forget"...you could have either the RCA new pressing or the left over Sun ones

I edited the topic to include both pages of the RCA ad -- I cannot believe I originally left out the Singing Dogs.

Enjoy!