Re: "Crawfish" --> Mystery 1958 Single Revealed !

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:45 am

Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:So perhaps August 1958 is as close as we can pinpoint right now.

Shouldn't that be October 1959 since it has the number that precedes Jesse Belvin's October release?

Jesse Belvin's wonderful soul-voiced version of Volare, sung in English and Italian, was released on a 7" single in the US in July 1958 (RCA Victor 47-7310). It was his 30th single.

http://eurocovers.blogspot.com/2008/01/ ... -year.html

Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:51 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
Mister Mike wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:So perhaps August 1958 is as close as we can pinpoint right now.

Shouldn't that be October 1959 since it has the number that precedes Jesse Belvin's October release?

Jesse Belvin's wonderful soul-voiced version of Volare, sung in English and Italian, was released on a 7" single in the US in July 1958 (RCA Victor 47-7310). It was his 30th single.

http://eurocovers.blogspot.com/2008/01/ ... -year.html

Okey-Dokey ::rocks

Thu Dec 02, 2010 6:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker wrote:Two other guys are credited with writing it and another version (Presley's) appeared before Stone's. Without anymore info there is no reason to think he had a hand in writing/arranging Elvis' song.

Stone often worked behind the scenes. The implication is that he cut "Crawfish" because he had some prior connection to it. There are not too many other examples of him doing other people's songs just for the heck of it.

Thanks.
But it's still a way to go before Stone's involvement could be called "likely", although the possibility of course is there

Thu Dec 02, 2010 11:39 pm

Rocker wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Rocker wrote:Two other guys are credited with writing it and another version (Presley's) appeared before Stone's. Without anymore info there is no reason to think he had a hand in writing/arranging Elvis' song.

Stone often worked behind the scenes. The implication is that he cut "Crawfish" because he had some prior connection to it. There are not too many other examples of him doing other people's songs just for the heck of it.

Thanks.
But it's still a way to go before Stone's involvement could be called "likely", although the possibility of course is there

I would say that the Doc is vwery likely to be correct on this.

The wise - Weisman song by the Stone Crushers is so radically different from the Presley as written outing. Somebody had to modify it and it has the Jesse Stone approach all over it.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:06 am

This is fabulous detective work.

Well done, people.

I love FECC!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:09 am

George Smith wrote:This is fabulous detective work.

Well done, people.

I love FECC!

Thanks so much, George.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:35 am

And, of course, "Crawfish" remains relevant in 2010:

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley - Crawfish (Pilooski Edit)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 1:52 am

One of the great things about YouTube is reading the comments section.

Here's "Crawfish," from the opening sequence of "King Creole":

phpBB [video]

And here are some of the (unfiltered) comments:

Highest Rated Comments

redlions11
who else can sing about a freaken fish and make it sexy

toncasgirl
Elvis in this scene = pure sex personified. King Creole showcased Elvis's talent better than any of his other movies.

All Comments

BartA22
This song is the first scene in the movie King Creole. What it reveals is the essence of Elvis' electrifying appeal and his enormous talent. Can you imagine how women must have swooned when they saw this scene in movie theaters in 1958?

Canadiana71
What a mighty fine man.

melkiemelkie
This guy makes me wanna fu.ck a fish

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:21 am

HAHA! That is genius, didn't expect that last comment, brilliant!

Fri Dec 03, 2010 2:25 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:HAHA! That is genius, didn't expect that last comment, brilliant!

You won't see the same comments for "Song of the Shrimp."

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:29 am

An interesting side note to connect Elvis to Robert Mitchum via Kitty White:

I learned from the recently released 1955 'Night of The Hunter' Blu-Ray, that Kitty is the women singing the song when the kids go from their boat to the barn. This is right before the classic shot of 'Preacher' riding silhouette across the hill.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:44 am

collectelvis wrote:An interesting side note to connect Elvis to Robert Mitchum via Kitty White:

I learned from the recently released 1955 'Night of The Hunter' Blu-Ray, that Kitty is the women singing the song when the kids go from their boat to the barn. This is right before the classic shot of 'Preacher' riding silhouette across the hill.

Yes! I just picked this up -- issued by Criterion.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:01 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:HAHA! That is genius, didn't expect that last comment, brilliant!

That about sums up the difference between the dangerous Elvis of the 50's in the almost noirish King Creole and the safe Elvis of the 60's movies.
Great post....really a well researched article in the form of a post.....I look forward to more interesing insights in the future.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 6:04 am

docweswebb wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

That about sums up the difference between the dangerous Elvis of the 50's in the almost noirish King Creole and the safe Elvis of the 60's movies.
Great post....really a well researched article in the form of a post.....I look forward to more interesting insights in the future.

Thank you. I have offered a few in the past you might enjoy.

Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:29 am

The movie poster art in the original post in this topic is the Australian one-sheet (27x40 inches) for King Creole. I have it in my collection, and quite a rarity it is too.
Why the marks and arrows on it?
The Not Suitable for Children rating was common in Australia at the time (Not Suitable for General Exhibition was another rating)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:15 am

Here in The Netherlands it was rated 18+.
Jailhouse rock and a few others were 14+.
Hence I only saw King Creole as late as 1970 when it was shown in Versailles at an Elvis Convention.
(Remember in those days you could only see an Elvis movie, or any other movie, when it was shown in a theatre somewhere)

Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Nice conjecture, but without any facts that's all it is.

The Bear Family CD might list a specific recording date for "Crawfish," and that would be a start.

The Bear Family CD does list a specific date: June 30, 1958 (14:00 - 15:30) RCA Victor Studio A, New York City; Producer: Herman Diaz Jr.

Leader: Jesse Stone
Vocal: The Stone Crushers
Electric Guitar: Everett Barksdale
Electric Guitar: "Wally" Richardson
Bass: Doles Dickens
Drums: Joe Marshall
Bongos: Walter Spriggs
Piano: Burt Keyes
Saxophone / Contractor: King Curtis Ousley

J2PB-5064-5 Crawfish 47-7309
J2PB-5065-9 Tadpole Wiggle 47-7309

Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:18 pm

Daryl wrote:

The Bear Family CD might list a specific recording date for "Crawfish," and that would be a start.

The Bear Family CD does list a specific date: June 30, 1958 (14:00 - 15:30) RCA Victor Studio A, New York City; Producer: Herman Diaz Jr.

That fits my "permission" speculation very neatly.

Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:13 am

Luuk wrote:If a song originates from a musical or movie, the title of the movie is usually mentioned after the song title, like "from Carousel" on Elvis' "You'll never walk alone", see http://www.elvisrecords.us/youll-never- ... ll-on-him/

To my knowledge Elvis never was in that musical. Therefore it is not necessary the intention of the Crawfish single to suggest it is featured in "King Creole" but to indicate that is a song "from King Creole".

RCA had put out the Broadway cast recording album of "Carousel" in 1965. It was a plug for one of their albums, much the same way he Stone Crushers single plugged the "King Creole" soundtrack album.

Daryl

Mon Dec 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Daryl wrote:

Thanks for getting this information.

The legendary King Curtis on sax, how cool!!

The track was taped five months after the Presley master, and a July-August release date seems likely for this version of "Crawfish."

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:42 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote: Thanks for getting this information.

The track was taped five months after the Presley master, and a July-August release date seems likely for this version of "Crawfish."

Hello, hello, hello. I've now read that post three times in the past week.
Please would you stop *bumping* your threads by deleting and then re-posting your last message.

Thanks! :smt006

Mon Dec 13, 2010 5:46 pm

The Purple Gang wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote: Thanks for getting this information.

Hello, hello, hello. I've now read that post three times in the past week.
Please would you stop *bumping* your threads by deleting and then re-posting your last message.

Thanks! :smt006

I thought I was just getting a weird De Ja Vu reading them!

Tue Dec 14, 2010 12:29 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:I thought I was just getting a weird De Ja Vu reading them!

I actually changed my reply, as is anyone's right on this forum.

It's nice to know that some members read my thoughtful topics over and over.

Maybe by the third time they're learning something.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:08 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Good Time Charlie wrote:I thought I was just getting a weird De Ja Vu reading them!

I actually changed my reply, as is anyone's right on this forum.

It's nice to know that some members read my thoughtful topics over and over.

Maybe by the third time they're learning something.

Yeah, they're damn good topics but I thought my own mind was playing tricks when I saw the same (or similar) reply appear a day or so later. My comment wasn't a dig at you at all.

Tue Dec 14, 2010 2:45 am

Good Time Charlie wrote:Yeah, they're damn good topics but I thought my own mind was playing tricks when I saw the same (or similar) reply appear a day or so later. My comment wasn't a dig at you at all.

No offense taken at all.

You're here to post and contribute in positive fashion, and I appreciate it.