Bob and Elvis: Hot Fun In The Summertime!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:41 am

Two live album releases in the summer of 1974 received glowing previews in the industry bible, Billboard:

Before The Flood - Bob Dylan and the Band
Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis - Elvis Presley

Billboard - Jul 6 1974

One wonders what Bob might have felt, to see his release stacked next to his boyhood hero's latest LP.

In retrospect, though, Before The Flood has gone down as one of the great live collections of the decade, while On Stage - February 1970 would be considered Presley's strongest live 70s disc..

Re: Bob and Elvis: Hot Fun In The Summertime!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 12:58 am

One thing I dont understand why make a comment on the On Stage 70 album, when the focus of your post, because of the review, is "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis". Sorry if I missed something in your post or was it a typo?

Burning Love

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:03 am

"One wonders what Bob might have felt, to see his release stacked next to his boyhood hero's latest LP"

Judging by his comments in an interview about refusing Elvis's requests to meet.....not much !

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:04 am

Nice! Always love those vintage Billboard things.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:05 am

Burning Love wrote:One thing I dont understand why make a comment on the On Stage 70 album, when the focus of your post, because of the review, is "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis". Sorry if I missed something in your post or was it a typo?

As Before The Flood is Dylan's most heralded live 70s album, and the Memphis LP is not, mention of the top-rated 1970 RCA live release is appropriate and informative. Call it a "bonus.' Hope this helps.

Dan_T wrote:"One wonders what Bob might have felt, to see his release stacked next to his boyhood hero's latest LP"

Judging by his comments in an interview about refusing Elvis's requests to meet.....not much !

Read more about Dylan, your conclusion will be different.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:10 am

I'm not too big a fan of Yell-Bob, so Flood isn't a real big favourite for me. I agree with Bob that the '74 tour was not much more than energy. Nice versions of Most Likely..., Watchtower and Rolling Stone, though.
I love the Hard Rain album, for 70's live Bob. Still my favourite Shelter From The Storm.
I'm not too big on the Memphis album, either, come to think of it. But I love Billboard's unrelenting positivity.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:12 am

Speaking of unrelenting positivity, among the best cuts, "Let Me Be There" and "Medley of rock tunes."

Yes!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:20 am

Obviously, Dr. Norman Vincent Peale had a hand in that preview.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Burning Love wrote:One thing I dont understand why make a comment on the On Stage 70 album, when the focus of your post, because of the review, is "Recorded Live On Stage In Memphis". Sorry if I missed something in your post or was it a typo?

As Before The Flood is Dylan's most heralded live 70s album, and the Memphis LP is not, mention of the top-rated 1970 RCA live release is appropriate and informative. Call it a "bonus.' Hope this helps.

Dan_T wrote:"One wonders what Bob might have felt, to see his release stacked next to his boyhood hero's latest LP"

Read more about Dylan, your conclusion will be different.

Well, I know a fair bit.

I like Bob Dylan, but his love for Elvis seems exaggerated abit.

Don't we hear a teenage Dylan in his bedroom arguing with a friend, who is trying to defend Elvis, Dylan is accusing Elvis of copying Black artists. Ray Charles, Ink Spots, Clyde Mcphatter..etc.. ?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:46 am

Dan_T wrote:Well, I know a fair bit.

I like Bob Dylan, but his love for Elvis seems exaggerated abit.

No, it's not.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 1:53 am

OK, then why was he putting Elvis down so bad on that home recording then ?

I'd say his appreciation grew since Elvis passed, like alot people.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:00 am

Congratulations, Dan_T, you were the first and only boy who didn't say something stupid for effect at the age of 16 or 17.

Be sure to will your brain to science.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:21 am

elvissessions wrote:Congratulations, Dan_T, you were the first and only boy who didn't say something stupid for effect at the age of 16 or 17.

Be sure to will your brain to science.

Thanks for that.

Second thought, you can stick it.

There's the famous "Hearing his voice was like busting out of jail" and "That's easy,Elvis recording one of my songs" quotes...and the "Elvis steps from the pages and you can feel him breathe" comment about last train to Memphis...but there really isn't that much of Dylan praising Elvis...he even noted that Elvis of the '68 comeback wasn't the Elvis of the '50's...some people could argue that the Elvis on the Sullivan show is not the Elvis on the Dorsey shows, and they'd have a point, to a certain extent.

And that interview that somebody posted recently, where he said that he refused Elvis's requests for a meeting, because he wasn't making films that young people wanted to see or music that people were buying, was just such a disapointment, I was disappointed in Dylan's shallow view.

Sorry....that's just the way it is. you can have a different view.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:46 am

Out of the thousands of acts who have covered Bob's songs, guess which performance he puts at #1?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Out of the thousands of acts who have covered Bob's songs, guess which performance he puts at #1?

According to his book, Johnny Rivers' Positively 4th Street, but yes, most famously, in the 1969 Rolling Stone interview, Elvis's Tomorrow Is A Long Time.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Out of the thousands of acts who have covered Bob's songs, guess which performance he puts at #1?

Yeah, I mentioned that quote in my post.

But, I wonder if it's still his number 1 cover today ?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:39 am

I don't know if Bob Dylan ever thought ''Tomorrow is a long time'' was the best cover of his songs or not.

I think Dylan liked it because it was Elvis covering one of his songs not that he necessarily thought it was the best cover ever done.

As for the topic it's nice to see that Live in Memphis received some critical praise upon release.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:20 am

I'm a keen follwer of those vintage Billboard clips. Keep 'em coming Doc!

Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:55 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:

According to his book, Johnny Rivers' Positively 4th Street, but yes, most famously, in the 1969 Rolling Stone interview, Elvis's Tomorrow Is A Long Time.

Somebody say "Johnny Rivers?" :D :smt002 :smt007

Daryl

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:11 am

I too wonder if, 40+ years later, Tomorrow Is A Long Time is Dylan's favorite cover of one of his songs. Maybe later in the 70's his favorite cover became Don't Think Twice by Elvis.

I also can't see Elvis being that concerned about meeting Dylan. He didn't seem that keen on meeting the Beatles.

Steve L.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:18 am

Did he ever seem that keen on meeting anybody?

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:19 am

Rob wrote:Did he ever seem that keen on meeting anybody?

Jack Lord.

Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:23 am

I realize that. I was just making the point that it was mostly the other way around. Of course there were people that Elvis was interested in, but they seemed to be few and far between.

I've read a lot of stories about the lack of interest on Elvis' behalf.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:31 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'm not too big a fan of Yell-Bob, so Flood isn't a real big favourite for me. I agree with Bob that the '74 tour was not much more than energy. Nice versions of Most Likely..., Watchtower and Rolling Stone, though.
I love the Hard Rain album, for 70's live Bob. Still my favourite Shelter From The Storm.

I agree and I love the 1975 box set from the bootleg series. Still Before The Flood does have a nice energy.

Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:21 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I'm not too big a fan of Yell-Bob, so Flood isn't a real big favourite for me. I agree with Bob that the '74 tour was not much more than energy. Nice versions of Most Likely..., Watchtower and Rolling Stone, though.

In general Dylan fans are divided over Before the Flood---many decry Dylan's vocals, many others love the album. I'm the latter camp. Dylan may have a low opinion of the 74 tour, but it's not as if he's the most reliable judge of his own work, judging by all those masterpieces of his once accessible only through bootlegs.
Dylan might not be at his subtlest in Before the Flood, but no one could accuse him of giving an indifferent or slurred performance. What comes through is not simply energy but a righteous anger at his audience, a refusal to give them anything resembling nostalgia, that is shown by his consistently angry enunciation (a vocal approach miles away from the nasal, garbled singing that people adopt when they parody Dylan). It also helps that the Band's playing is absolutely ferocious---this is a group whose members are strong and comfortable enough to hammer at each other and Dylan. Elvis's Memphis album by contrast is a decent show, but definitely use some of that energy. I've often fantasized what Elvis would have sounded like if backed by the Band---like Dylan, they might have kicked his ass into next gear.
Last edited by Revelator on Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.