Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:50 am

the full sp wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:
the full sp wrote: Also, quick point of note, when does uploading a CD to iTunes become illegal? I mean, Jesus, I've uploaded my Mum's Elton John CD's. Is that illegal?

Going by the letter of the law, copying the content of media for your own personal use without purchasing it first is illegal. But, you know that. If you disagree, fine, but "law" is "law". I myself have downloaded/copied bootleg material, but nothing from the FTD label.

Well surely purchasing such 'bootleg' material is illegal too? The law is a very 'iffy' matter here, and people shouldn't be judged on such matters.

Putting out bootleg material is illegal, not buying it.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:53 am

the full sp wrote:Also, quick point of note, when does uploading a CD to iTunes become illegal? I mean, Jesus, I've uploaded my Mum's Elton John CD's. Is that illegal? What about my own Elvis' CD's, is that illegal? It's not like your stealing anything, your just using material you/somebody has purchased and is letting you use for your own personal use. Look at it this way, my Uncle could lend me the FTD to play on my CD player - legal. Or I listen to it on my iPod - illegal.

If person A buys a CD and person B borrows it and copies it to their computer, but doesn't pay for their own copy in the end, they have technically stolen the music, regardless of whether person A is an uncle, or some dude the other side of the world. Presley fans take particular issue when it is done specifically with FTD titles, a small label on a tight budget that we're all lucky to have around, releasing rare and unreleased music for us to purchase that would otherwise sit in the vaults. Where does the line get drawn? If enough people downloaded, or copied friends' copies of FTDs, how many would it take before the label goes under?

Unfortunately most of the people that do it argue "I'd never buy it anyway so FTD isn't loosing anything", which is bull. They are happy to have the music to listen to but aren't happy to reach into their pocket to pay for it. If they don't think the music is worth paying for then arguably they would just delete it as it would be surplus to requirements - but they don't. Instead they have a blasé attitude about such things. They don't think the material was worth their money, but they do feel they're entitled to possess it.

Unfortunately, owning the Legacy Edition, or the Complete Masters, doesn't pay for the unreleased concert on disc 2 of the FTD.

Re. buying bootlegs - I honestly don't see why people throw that up as some sort of argument for copying FTDs. They're two separate and entirely different discussions. Of course if everyone simply downloaded boots and never bought them arguably the bootleggers' ability to produce future titles goes down the toilet also.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:05 am

Matthew, the whole "bootleg" issue is complicated. There have been many instances over the years where collectors freely trade with other fans in an effort the share the music. Certain individuals obtain freely traded material and produce bootleg titles where other music fans not privy to trading circles are charged excessive sums of money for recordings that were meant for free, shared consumption. Elvis fans tend to be very fond of the 'artwork' and love having physical bootleg product, but other fans of other artists in many instances don't give a crap and prefer to share underground recordings.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 1:19 am

midnightx wrote: There have been many instances over the years where collectors freely trade with other fans in an effort the share the music. Certain individuals obtain freely traded material and produce bootleg titles where other music fans not privy to trading circles are charged excessive sums of money for recordings that were meant for free, shared consumption

And, as you know (but for the record), there are many artists/groups who do not mind such free trading.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:45 am

Given the fantastic new FTD release of the August 26, 1969 DS, I have revised my original post.

Just a tad. Enjoy!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:07 am

I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Not only because of 1969 and the new FTD (which arrived today), but this is the famous "uncle" thread.

What is not to enjoy?

Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:42 am

Oh, dear, I forgot all about the friendly FTD "Uncle."

Let us know what you think of the new FTD, regardless!

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:22 am

Rob wrote:I'm enjoying the hell out of it. Not only because of 1969 and the new FTD (which arrived today), but this is the famous "uncle" thread.

What is not to enjoy?

The famous banned uncle???
If so, I read some most interesting
threads today. Not here on the FECC.

Perhaps "uncle" is just person A.

Back on subject. A boot is a boot is a boot.
And Elvis in 1969 would have been much better
without the embarrassing monologues.

Ramble on...

Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:56 am

iplayastrat wrote:The famous banned uncle???

Rob was referring to something else. You need to look at page 2 and 3. Hilarious stuff.

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:09 am

Great find, Doc!

Boy oh boy, if this soundboard ever surfaces...

Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:48 pm

Alexander wrote:Great find, Doc!

Thanks muchly!

Alexander wrote:Boy oh boy, if this soundboard ever surfaces...

I promise to buy two copies. Maybe three!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:17 pm

Revelator wrote:For those who missed it, here's a censored summary of the deleted posts, without any quotes or attributions. The information was gleaned from a site I cannot name, and thus I am unable to properly give the gentleman credit.

Anyway, the following are some of the songs Elvis rehearsed on July 18, 1969: "Memphis Tennessee," "Green Green Grass Of Home," "I'm Moving On," "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," "Rip It Up," "Trying To Get To You" and "Only The Strong Survive."

The following were rehearsed on July 24/31,1969: "Matchbox," "I Need You So," "Such A Night," "Slow Down," "Green Green Grass Of Home," "You're The Reason I'm Living," "18 Yellow Roses," "Release Me," "Judy," "When The Snow Is On The Roses," "Folsom Prison Blues," "Hello Josephine," "Wabbash Cannonball," "Love Letters (In The Sand)," "I Walk The Line," "From A Jack To A King," "That's All Right," "Any Day Now," "Everybody's Talking," "Suzie Q," and "Little Green Apples."

On 1-19/26-70 Elvis took stabs at the following: "Portrait Of My Love," "Holly Holy," "I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago," "Delta Lady," "Any Day Now" and "Crazy Arms."

From the later years come further unreleased and almost entirely unheard rehearsals of: "My Sweet Lord" (1-17/23-71), "Sunday Morning Coming Down" and "My Sweet Lord" (1-17/25-71), and "A Thing Called Love" and "It's Only Love" (8-7/9-71).

Later come "Delta Lady," "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More," "Sunday Morning coming Down," "Brown Eyes," 'Summer Days," "Faded Love," and "Ain't No Sunshine" (01-19/26-72);
"Any Day Now," "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water," "Faded Love," and "I Really Don't Want To Know" (6-6/7-72); "She's Not You," "I Feel So Bad," and "A Mess Of Blues" (7-31/8-1-73 and 8-3/6-73); "Born To Lose," and "I'm Leaving It Up To You" (1-24/26-74); "Mama Liked The Roses" and "Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming" (5-15/16-1974); and repeat stabs at "I Walk The Line", "Hello Josephine", "Wabash Cannonball", "Faded Love" , and "She's Not You" (8-14-74).

That's a fantastic last of songs.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:21 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:What about the supposed rehearsal of The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There"?

Elvis In Person - Original Album, Master Outtakes and August 22, 1969 DS (2008)
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/elvisinpersonftd.html

The enclosed booklet is loaded with relevant information. The discs are amazing!

A great FTD release!! So much fire and energy in those shows.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 10:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Rob was referring to something else. You need to look at page 2 and 3. Hilarious stuff.

It is; I just saw it for the first time. (And somebody here got called "a lady" who was a guy! HERE! In the land of testosterone!)

Anyway, what if it's your dad, not you uncle? ;) Naw, seriously, if I rip my parents' vinyl to the computer, is that wrong? My dad is still alive and well, as I write this, so it doesn't belong to me, technically. I never bought "Freewheelin'" on account of that. They had it - an ancient copy from when it was actually first released. They bought a lot of folkie stuff. It was the only Dylan album they had. The vinyl is real thick. So, anyway, I asked if they'd mind if I kept that one with my records back in the '80s, and they said "sure."

So, did I ALREADY steal "Freewheelin'"? Well, I didn't "steal" it, because I asked for permission, and they gave it to me - or is that stealing, still? (Because they could still listen to it if they had wanted to, any time. And they didn't steal it, 'cause they bought it when I was just toddling around.) Or am I stealing it now, if I rip it, without buying a fresh copy? (I actually have it on the Mono set, which I bought, but that's beside the point.)

Funny, yes, but interesting. (On the other hand, FTDs are kinda special: a collector's label that only exists by virtue of our support. So, that really isn't up for discussion, philosophical or otherwise. I DO think lossless digital versions should be made available for sale - that should be worked out. You could download in lossless formats straight from shopelvis.com, along with digital booklets. Not 24 bit depth or anything; just Apple Lossless, or FLAC, or one of those. There'd be less chance, then, of some cheapskate guy, who most likely CAN afford it, importing a CD that belongs to his uncle!)

Please don't ban my dad, or my uncle! (He listens to Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, so I think he's safe. I won't be borrowing any of his records. :lol: )

rjm (and "if that soundboard ever surfaces," I ALSO promise to buy two or three copies!!! Actually, I HAVE bought more than one copy of a couple FTDs. I misplaced a couple, and I bought 'em again. And bought about three copies, all together, of "Afternoon At The Garden." :oops: )

Fri Jan 25, 2013 2:50 pm

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

It is; I just saw it for the first time. (And somebody here got called "a lady" who was a guy! HERE! In the land of testosterone!)

Anyway, what if it's your dad, not you uncle? ;) Naw, seriously, if I rip my parents' vinyl to the computer, is that wrong? My dad is still alive and well, as I write this, so it doesn't belong to me, technically. I never bought "Freewheelin'" on account of that. They had it - an ancient copy from when it was actually first released. They bought a lot of folkie stuff. It was the only Dylan album they had. The vinyl is real thick. So, anyway, I asked if they'd mind if I kept that one with my records back in the '80s, and they said "sure."

So, did I ALREADY steal "Freewheelin'"? Well, I didn't "steal" it, because I asked for permission, and they gave it to me - or is that stealing, still? (Because they could still listen to it if they had wanted to, any time. And they didn't steal it, 'cause they bought it when I was just toddling around.) Or am I stealing it now, if I rip it, without buying a fresh copy? (I actually have it on the Mono set, which I bought, but that's beside the point.)

Funny, yes, but interesting. (On the other hand, FTDs are kinda special: a collector's label that only exists by virtue of our support. So, that really isn't up for discussion, philosophical or otherwise. I DO think lossless digital versions should be made available for sale - that should be worked out. You could download in lossless formats straight from shopelvis.com, along with digital booklets. Not 24 bit depth or anything; just Apple Lossless, or FLAC, or one of those. There'd be less chance, then, of some cheapskate guy, who most likely CAN afford it, importing a CD that belongs to his uncle!)

Please don't ban my dad, or my uncle! (He listens to Steve Lawrence and Eydie Gorme, so I think he's safe. I won't be borrowing any of his records. :lol: )

rjm (and "if that soundboard ever surfaces," I ALSO promise to buy two or three copies!!! Actually, I HAVE bought more than one copy of a couple FTDs. I misplaced a couple, and I bought 'em again. And bought about three copies, all together, of "Afternoon At The Garden." :oops: )

Robin,

I just gotta let you know that I absolutely LOVE reading your posts and replies!!!

*smacks self for taking the thread off-topic*

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Fri Jan 25, 2013 9:44 pm

Thanks for posting Doc -Great Stuff - Interesting Thread - Lovn It - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re:

Sat Jan 26, 2013 8:59 am

Tony Trout wrote:
rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Robin,

I just gotta let you know that I absolutely LOVE reading your posts and replies!!!

*smacks self for taking the thread off-topic*

Not too hard, I hope! :smt006

Robin

Sun Feb 16, 2014 10:11 pm

Daryl wrote:Hello,

For what it's worth, in May Mann's book she did before Elvis died, she mentioned that during the August 1969 engagement that Elvis performed "You'll Think Of Me."

As for "It's Only Love", in Robert Gordon's book "KIng On The Road" that he did with EPE, he shows the replica of a set list from the November, 1971 tour that lists "It's Only Love."

Could it be that this wasn't a concert setlist but a rehearsal setlist?.

Fri Feb 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Daryl wrote:Hello,

For what it's worth, in May Mann's book she did before Elvis died, she mentioned that during the August 1969 engagement that Elvis performed "You'll Think Of Me."

As for "It's Only Love", in Robert Gordon's book "KIng On The Road" that he did with EPE, he shows the replica of a set list from the November, 1971 tour that lists "It's Only Love."

Could it be that this wasn't a concert setlist but a rehearsal setlist?.

You could be right, Johnny.

Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:42 pm

Very good!