Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:My Uncle has that particular FTD and he lets me upload some of the FTD's he buys to my iTunes.

Maybe he'll let you borrow the booklet too?

Well of course, but I was hardly going to ring him up at midnight here in the UK to ask about a little detail in the booklet from one of his CD's was I? I was merely asking Revelator about his list he provided, because under my understanding Elvis rehearsed "I Saw Her Standing There" but it was listed as "Sixteen" or something like that. I may have read it in that booklet when I borrowed the CD's sometime, I can't remember - I don't recall where I read every piece of Elvis information.

Instead I get responses suggesting I purchase something to find out myself. Well surely then every time someobdy poses a question, we should just quote them a book to go read or something?

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:27 am

the full sp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:My Uncle has that particular FTD and he lets me upload some of the FTD's he buys to my iTunes.

Maybe he'll let you borrow the booklet too?

Well of course, but I was hardly going to ring him up at midnight here in the UK to ask about a little detail in the booklet from one of his CD's was I? I was merely asking Revelator about his list he provided, because under my understanding Elvis rehearsed "I Saw Her Standing There" but it was listed as "Sixteen" or something like that. I may have read it in that booklet when I borrowed the CD's sometime, I can't remember - I don't recall where I read every piece of Elvis information.

Instead I get responses suggesting I purchase something to find out myself. Well surely then every time someobdy poses a question, we should just quote them a book to go read or something?

You're missing the point the full sp.Copying FTD's is not cool unless it's your own copy for your own use.

norrie

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:51 am

Copying FTD's?! Hardly! What so putting someone's CD onto my iTunes is not allowed now? Oh do be serious, jesus christ.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:42 am

the full sp wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:
the full sp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Illegal uploads.

I find that quite disgraceful to be honest that people don't believe me then.

No one is disbelieving you.

Don't patronise me. It's obvious what your comments meant. It's just the typical kind of response I'd expect though, I should know better really.

EH????

Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:45 am

the full sp wrote:Copying FTD's?! Hardly! What so putting someone's CD onto my iTunes is not allowed now? Oh do be serious, jesus christ.

Ummm, what do you think illegal copying IS???????? Man, BE SERIOUS. Really. No one can be that dumb, at this point.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:57 pm

Get in the real world. It's just the same as recording Elvis on your old cassetes when you was younger or something like that. Get of your high horse lady.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:02 pm

the full sp wrote:Get in the real world. It's just the same as recording Elvis on your old cassetes when you was younger or something like that. Get of your high horse lady.

It is illegal. PERIOD. And the mention of it is frowned upon on this board. Simple. And I'm not a lady. Are all you people on the board who jump on people who download or copy FTD's gonna leave me hanging here? Back me up, geez.
Last edited by Frankie Teardrop on Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:09 pm

I've never downloaded an FTD. All I've down is borrowed some of my uncles. So if he lends me it to listen to on my CD player it's ok, but the moment I put it onto my iPod it becomes illegal. Well I'm not being funny but get in the real world, that's what people do all day long.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:10 pm

Frankie Teardrop wrote:It is illegal. PERIOD. And the mention of it is frowned upon on this board. Simple.

I agree with Frankie.

If you're going to rip off FTD, don't mention it here, as you will be called out.

Feeble excuses will only invite further ridicule.

BACK ON TOPIC -->

Overall, I really found the Billboard report interesting and fact-filled. There are a few errors -- Elvis played longer than 40 minutes, probably closer to 70 -- but it's a genuinely good review.

Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:29 pm

Frankie ( a guy,) Doc, plus me. Buy the FTD!

Steve L.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:04 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:Are all you people on the board who jump on people who download or copy FTD's gonna leave me hanging here? Back me up, geez.

Well yeah - but when I read declarations like in this thread I can't help but wonder if we're reading the opinions of a person that has been here prior to June 2010. Then I start to thinking that some of these statements are deliberate to cause a bit of a stir, based on the long drawn out 'debates' on the topic with the same band of misfits who pop in from time to time. Then I think, 'nah - benefit of the doubt' and figure you've got it covered and find another thread to read.

But yeah, if a person has an uncle to review FTD titles from - awesome. But if you've got the change to buy a Complete Elvis boxset then picking up your own copy of the essential "In Person" title seems pretty easy if you ask me.

I'm just waiting for someone to throw out the usual "but what if they were never going to buy it in the first place?" line followed by "FTD aren't loosing any money!"

It's coming... probably.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:16 am

Matthew wrote: Then I start to thinking that some of these statements are deliberate to cause a bit of a stir, based on the long drawn out 'debates' on the topic with the same band of misfits who pop in from time to time.

That's a really good point.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:52 pm

Matthew wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:Are all you people on the board who jump on people who download or copy FTD's gonna leave me hanging here? Back me up, geez.

Well yeah - but when I read declarations like in this thread I can't help but wonder if we're reading the opinions of a person that has been here prior to June 2010. Then I start to thinking that some of these statements are deliberate to cause a bit of a stir, based on the long drawn out 'debates' on the topic with the same band of misfits who pop in from time to time. Then I think, 'nah - benefit of the doubt' and figure you've got it covered and find another thread to read.

But yeah, if a person has an uncle to review FTD titles from - awesome. But if you've got the change to buy a Complete Elvis boxset then picking up your own copy of the essential "In Person" title seems pretty easy if you ask me.

I'm just waiting for someone to throw out the usual "but what if they were never going to buy it in the first place?" line followed by "FTD aren't loosing any money!"

It's coming... probably.

I don't even understand what the first point your trying to get at means? So I'm just deliberately saying all this sh*t to wind people up, think what you like of me but I'm not that sad. Same band of misfits? Excuse me, anybody is entitled to post here. I'm sorry if I don't fit into your little gang by sharing the same views as you on everything.

Well no I don't have the money to purchase the set technically speaking. If you read my posts that everyone ignored on one of the Complete Masters thread, I enquired about the date of when the product ships. Becuase you can cancel the order anytime before the product ships and I may have to if I don't find the cash required. I'm hoping to raise enough money by October by working more hours to obtain this set. It's a once in a liftetime purchase this kind of special product and it's something I've alwasy dreamed owning. I don't have the money to routinely spend on FTD's, I wish I did, but I don't.

And I don't have an Uncle to review FTD's from. He and my Grandad just let me borrow CD's from his collection to put onto my iTunes seeing as we share similar taste in artists (mainly Elvis) and a few of those CD's happen to be FTD releases. I personally don't a see a problem in it, and I'm not really sorry if it offends people. My Uncle purchased the FTD's regardless of me. And I wouldn't have purchased them anyway for the monetary reasons I've listed, I wasn't even aware of the FTD label when Elvis In Person came out in 2008.

Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:39 pm

What are your thoughts on the review?

Sun Aug 08, 2010 3:19 am

What review?

Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:52 am

:lol:

Sun Aug 08, 2010 8:25 am

the full sp wrote:What review?

"Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54775

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:26 pm

I already responded to that on Page 1. Why do you ask again?

the full sp wrote:What's also interesting is that Kingsley claims Elvis was to work with between 50 and 80 songs during the engagement. That's probably the number he had rehearsed and clearly he intended to sing much more than he ended up doing. Maybe he was too scared to make a change of what obviously was a succesful opening night.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:28 pm

the full sp wrote:
Matthew wrote:

It's coming... probably.

I don't even understand what the first point your trying to get at means? So I'm just deliberately saying all this sh*t to wind people up, think what you like of me but I'm not that sad. Same band of misfits? Excuse me, anybody is entitled to post here. I'm sorry if I don't fit into your little gang by sharing the same views as you on everything.

Well no I don't have the money to purchase the set technically speaking. If you read my posts that everyone ignored on one of the Complete Masters thread, I enquired about the date of when the product ships. Becuase you can cancel the order anytime before the product ships and I may have to if I don't find the cash required. I'm hoping to raise enough money by October by working more hours to obtain this set. It's a once in a liftetime purchase this kind of special product and it's something I've alwasy dreamed owning. I don't have the money to routinely spend on FTD's, I wish I did, but I don't.

And I don't have an Uncle to review FTD's from. He and my Grandad just let me borrow CD's from his collection to put onto my iTunes seeing as we share similar taste in artists (mainly Elvis) and a few of those CD's happen to be FTD releases. I personally don't a see a problem in it, and I'm not really sorry if it offends people. My Uncle purchased the FTD's regardless of me. And I wouldn't have purchased them anyway for the monetary reasons I've listed, I wasn't even aware of the FTD label when Elvis In Person came out in 2008.

Knew none of you would be able to respond and have any sort of decency as to apologize.

Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:37 pm

There's nothing to apologise for. You admitted to doing what you were accused of, copying FTDs onto your hard drive without paying for them. But honestly, it isn't the biggest sin in the world to me personally. Originally, I was just giving you a friendly warning about it being frowned upon in this community.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:11 am

the full sp wrote:Knew none of you would be able to respond and have any sort of decency as to apologize.

I had an internet free day yesterday (Sunday) - its called life in the real world. Anyway - you'll note in my post to Frankie I gave you the benefit of the doubt, despite my Suspicious Mind.

Soo.. will you, now that you have reviewed the FTD of "In Person", be buying your own copy?

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:25 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:There's nothing to apologise for. You admitted to doing what you were accused of, copying FTDs onto your hard drive without paying for them. But honestly, it isn't the biggest sin in the world to me personally. Originally, I was just giving you a friendly warning about it being frowned upon in this community.

Ok fair enough. I thought at first I was being accused of downloading the FTD release illegally, which I see as something totally different. Burning a CD onto your iTunes purchased by a friend/family member is quite a trivial matter in my eyes.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:33 am

Matthew wrote:
the full sp wrote:Knew none of you would be able to respond and have any sort of decency as to apologize.

I had an internet free day yesterday (Sunday) - its called life in the real world. Anyway - you'll note in my post to Frankie I gave you the benefit of the doubt, despite my Suspicious Mind.

Soo.. will you, now that you have reviewed the FTD of "In Person", be buying your own copy?

Life in the real world. Trust me, I'm fully aware of that my friend, unlike other people on this board - but hey, I don't liek to tell people how to live their lives. And no I won't be purchasing the FTD of In Person, like I said, I've already got the FTD in mp3 format, I'm purchasing the Complete Masters, I own the On Stage: Legacy Edition - I've got that album covered enough for my budget.

Also, quick point of note, when does uploading a CD to iTunes become illegal? I mean, Jesus, I've uploaded my Mum's Elton John CD's. Is that illegal? What about my own Elvis' CD's, is that illegal? It's not like your stealing anything, your just using material you/somebody has purchased and is letting you use for your own personal use. Look at it this way, my Uncle could lend me the FTD to play on my CD player - legal. Or I listen to it on my iPod - illegal.

It's when somehting is being distributed for all to access via the internet that I think something like this should be called 'illegal'.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:38 am

the full sp wrote: Also, quick point of note, when does uploading a CD to iTunes become illegal? I mean, Jesus, I've uploaded my Mum's Elton John CD's. Is that illegal?

Going by the letter of the law, copying the content of media for your own personal use without purchasing it first is illegal. But, you know that. If you disagree, fine, but "law" is "law". I myself have downloaded/copied bootleg material, but nothing from the FTD label.

Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:41 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
the full sp wrote: Also, quick point of note, when does uploading a CD to iTunes become illegal? I mean, Jesus, I've uploaded my Mum's Elton John CD's. Is that illegal?

Going by the letter of the law, copying the content of media for your own personal use without purchasing it first is illegal. But, you know that. If you disagree, fine, but "law" is "law". I myself have downloaded/copied bootleg material, but nothing from the FTD label.

Well surely purchasing such 'bootleg' material is illegal too? The law is a very 'iffy' matter here, and people shouldn't be judged on such matters.