Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:31 am

Revelator wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:
Revelator wrote:I'm wondering what happened to them.


Removed because the administrators request that no reference be made to specific websites? Just my guess.


I think you're right, though I wonder why it's okay to link to Elvis in Norway but not okay to link to the-site-that-I-won't-mention. But never mind--I've been on enough message boards to know that the rules don't necessarily have to make sense in order to be binding.


Ain't that the truth. Censorship infantilizes anything and everything of which it is a part -- especially sweeping censorship that wipes away more than even the rules disallow. OK, so, by accounts, you made a reference or two to a banned website, but did they have to delete your posts in their entirety? Well, I guess we already know the answer.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:38 am

Cryogenic wrote:
Revelator wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:
Revelator wrote:I'm wondering what happened to them.


Removed because the administrators request that no reference be made to specific websites? Just my guess.


I think you're right, though I wonder why it's okay to link to Elvis in Norway but not okay to link to the-site-that-I-won't-mention. But never mind--I've been on enough message boards to know that the rules don't necessarily have to make sense in order to be binding.


Ain't that the truth. Censorship infantilizes anything and everything of which it is a part -- especially sweeping censorship that wipes away more than even the rules disallow. OK, so, by accounts, you made a reference or two to a banned website, but did they have to delete your posts in their entirety? Well, I guess we already know the answer.


Exactly Cryogenic and it seemed like revelator had something interseting to say but it's been deleted.
Rules are rules I suppose but the whole post didn't have to be deleted,did it?

norrie

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:41 am

For those who missed it, here's a censored summary of the deleted posts, without any quotes or attributions. The information was gleaned from a site I cannot name, and thus I am unable to properly give the gentleman credit.

Anyway, the following are some of the songs Elvis rehearsed on July 18, 1969: "Memphis Tennessee," "Green Green Grass Of Home," "I'm Moving On," "Lawdy Miss Clawdy," "Rip It Up," "Trying To Get To You" and "Only The Strong Survive."

The following were rehearsed on July 24/31,1969: "Matchbox," "I Need You So," "Such A Night," "Slow Down," "Green Green Grass Of Home," "You're The Reason I'm Living," "18 Yellow Roses," "Release Me," "Judy," "When The Snow Is On The Roses," "Folsom Prison Blues," "Hello Josephine," "Wabbash Cannonball," "Love Letters (In The Sand)," "I Walk The Line," "From A Jack To A King," "That's All Right," "Any Day Now," "Everybody's Talking," "Suzie Q," and "Little Green Apples."

On 1-19/26-70 Elvis took stabs at the following: "Portrait Of My Love," "Holly Holy," "I Was Born About Ten Thousand Years Ago," "Delta Lady," "Any Day Now" and "Crazy Arms."

From the later years come further unreleased and almost entirely unheard rehearsals of: "My Sweet Lord" (1-17/23-71), "Sunday Morning Coming Down" and "My Sweet Lord" (1-17/25-71), and "A Thing Called Love" and "It's Only Love" (8-7/9-71).

Later come "Delta Lady," "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Any More," "Sunday Morning coming Down," "Brown Eyes," 'Summer Days," "Faded Love," and "Ain't No Sunshine" (01-19/26-72);
"Any Day Now," "I Washed My Hands In Muddy Water," "Faded Love," and "I Really Don't Want To Know" (6-6/7-72); "She's Not You," "I Feel So Bad," and "A Mess Of Blues" (7-31/8-1-73 and 8-3/6-73); "Born To Lose," and "I'm Leaving It Up To You" (1-24/26-74); "Mama Liked The Roses" and "Your Love's Been A Long Time Coming" (5-15/16-1974); and repeat stabs at "I Walk The Line", "Hello Josephine", "Wabash Cannonball", "Faded Love" , and "She's Not You" (8-14-74).

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Wed Aug 04, 2010 4:12 am

Okay, back to the article.... the writer's name is Kingsly, not Kingsley.

"....first personal appearance since a 1962 charity benefit at Memphis...." - Huh? When? Where? Perhaps he meant a 1961 charity benefit at Honolulu?!

"....the Country Cats...." - Huh? Who? Perhaps he meant The Blue Moon Boys?!


--$DOGG KNOW$ BE$T

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:21 am

Revelator wrote:... I am unable to properly give the gentleman credit.

The information you cite was first published by Ernst Jorgensen and more later by Joe Tunzi. Otherwise, I don't quite understand how post-1969 rehearsals are relevant to this topic.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:22 am

dollardogg wrote:Okay, back to the article.... the writer's name is Kingsly, not Kingsley.

Incorrect. Billboard made a typo -- the Memphis journalist spells his name as I wrote. Other Billboard pieces display the correct spelling.

dollardogg wrote:"....first personal appearance since a 1962 charity benefit at Memphis...." - Huh? When? Where? Perhaps he meant a 1961 charity benefit at Honolulu?!

No, he meant the Feb 1961 Memphis benefit shows. No big deal.

dollardogg wrote:"....the Country Cats...." - Huh? Who? Perhaps he meant The Blue Moon Boys?!

No big deal.

You should revise or delete your signature, it is as inaccurate as your above comments.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:07 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Revelator wrote:... I am unable to properly give the gentleman credit.

The information you cite was first published by Ernst Jorgensen and more later by Joe Tunzi. Otherwise, I don't quite understand how post-1969 rehearsals are relevant to this topic.


1. Thank you for the proper credits.
2. Like the unreleased '69 rehearsals, the unreleased post '69 rehearsals (which I had originally added as an after-thought) contain many songs never performed by Elvis on stage and thus show the many roads left unexplored during his concert years.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 2:24 pm

What about the supposed rehearsal of The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There"?

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:42 pm

the full sp wrote:What about the supposed rehearsal of The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There"?

Image

Elvis In Person - Original Album, Master Outtakes and August 22, 1969 DS (2008)
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/elvisinpersonftd.html

The enclosed booklet is loaded with relevant information. The discs are amazing!

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:51 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:What about the supposed rehearsal of The Beatles' "I Saw Her Standing There"?

Image

Elvis In Person - Original Album, Master Outtakes and August 22, 1969 DS (2008)
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/elvisinpersonftd.html

The enclosed booklet is loaded with relevant information. The discs are amazing!


I can't afford to purchase that after just shelling out for the Complete Masters. I'm afraid that will have to be my final Elvis Presley purchase.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:04 am

the full sp wrote:I can't afford to purchase that ...

It was issued in 2008, with a lot of great reviews...

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:19 am

the full sp wrote:I can't afford to purchase that after just shelling out for the Complete Masters. I'm afraid that will have to be my final Elvis Presley purchase.

FTD's "In Person" treatment is probably the best live Elvis Presley package released to date, totally worth the money.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:26 am

I've listened to both discs, yeah it's stunning. I've got "On Stage: Legacy Edition" though, which covers that album pretty well.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:30 am

the full sp wrote:I've listened to both discs, yeah it's stunning. I've got "On Stage: Legacy Edition" though, which covers that album pretty well.


Same here--it'll probably a while before I'm able to pay $35 to read the booklet. I don't mind double-dipping, but I can't afford to do it that often.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:41 am

the full sp wrote:I've listened to both discs, yeah it's stunning.

How did you manage this, without buying the FTD set?

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:47 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:I've listened to both discs, yeah it's stunning.

How did you manage this, without buying the FTD set?


My Uncle has that particular FTD and he lets me upload some of the FTD's he buys to my iTunes.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:51 am

the full sp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:I've listened to both discs, yeah it's stunning.

How did you manage this, without buying the FTD set?


My Uncle has that particular FTD and he lets me upload some of the FTD's he buys to my iTunes.


Tricky to admit here, my friend!

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:06 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
the full sp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:I've listened to both discs, yeah it's stunning.

How did you manage this, without buying the FTD set?


My Uncle has that particular FTD and he lets me upload some of the FTD's he buys to my iTunes.


Tricky to admit here, my friend!


What is?

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:13 am

Illegal uploads.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:19 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Illegal uploads.


I find that quite disgraceful to be honest that people don't believe me then.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:32 am

Can I have an apology please?

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:32 am

the full sp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Illegal uploads.


I find that quite disgraceful to be honest that people don't believe me then.


No one is disbelieving you.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:38 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:
the full sp wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Illegal uploads.


I find that quite disgraceful to be honest that people don't believe me then.


No one is disbelieving you.


Don't patronise me. It's obvious what your comments meant. It's just the typical kind of response I'd expect though, I should know better really.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:47 am

the full sp wrote:I've listened to both discs, yeah it's stunning. I've got "On Stage: Legacy Edition" though, which covers that album pretty well.

The "On Stage" Legacy set is a great mainstream product, and one I have mainly for casual listening in the car etc. I still recommend purchasing you own copy of FTD's "In Person" because it represents that season so much better, with consistent mixing and mastering. Vic Anesini raised the bar with this one.

No doubt a similar package will be issued covering "On Stage" in the future.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:06 am

the full sp wrote:My Uncle has that particular FTD and he lets me upload some of the FTD's he buys to my iTunes.

Maybe he'll let you borrow the booklet too?