"Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:13 pm

Updated February 28, 2011 !

Given the release of a spectacular new live 1969 CD from Follow That Dream, below is a first-person review of opening night.

Written by long time Memphis scribe James D. Kingsley, the article is insightful despite a few errors here and there.

It seems "One Night" was on the set list on Thursday, July 31, 1969.

Where's that damn tape?

Enjoy.

Elvis Presley, Live In Las Vegas (FTD, 2011)
Recorded on Tuesday, August 26, 1969 DS, at the International Hotel

Billboard - August 9, 1969
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: "Presley Faces Toughest Challenge" (1969)

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:24 pm

Blue Moon Of Kentucky? Good Rockin' Tonight?

Is there a verified set list available from this show?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:26 pm

G.I. Blues wrote:Blue Moon Of Kentucky? Good Rockin' Tonight?

I wish!

One suspects that the latter may actually have been meant to be "Mystery Train" / "Tiger Man."

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:30 pm

"Then"

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:34 pm

kuenzer wrote:"Then"

Great, albeit minimalist, observation.

Kingsley's comments are looking back at what Elvis was doing when he first began performing. Kingsley might have even been witness to some of the early gigs in Memphis.

It's interesting that he credits "One Night" as being done at the 1969 OS.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:39 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
G.I. Blues wrote:Blue Moon Of Kentucky? Good Rockin' Tonight?

I wish!

One suspects that the latter may actually have been meant to be "Mystery Train" / "Tiger Man."

Actually, what I think James was saying in that paragraph regarding those songs, is that he is talking about Elvis' early days and starting out in the South.

It was probably Elvis' toughest musical challenge since he rocked out of the South with long sideburns, rotating pelvis and a banged up guitar. It was Elvis and the Country Cats(??). Then bouncing through songs like "That's All Right, Mama", "Blue Moon of Kentucky", and later with his "Hound Dog", "Blue Suede Shoes", "Good Rockin' Tonight", and "Don't Be Cruel".

He also had already mentioned "Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" in the previous paragraph, which was about what he actually sang at the show.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:41 pm

Beat ya to it, Rich! But thanks.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:44 pm

Yep! LOL Saw your reply after I posted mine :wink:

Oh - and thanks for posting the article. Great read.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:08 pm

What's also interesting is that Kingsley claims Elvis was to work with between 50 and 80 songs during the engagement. That's probably the number he had rehearsed and clearly he intended to sing much more than he ended up doing. Maybe he was too scared to make a change of what obviously was a succesful opening night.

50-80 though is a lot. I count 27 songs that we have definately heard of Elvis singing during the engagement (including Loving You from the Definitive Live Collection Vol. 1 and I've counted each medley as 1 so Mystery Train/Tiger Man as one). We now have multiple accounts of Elvis singing One Night during this engagement. How many other songs do we think there are? I'd hazard a guess he sung That's All Right and It's Now or Never at least once.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:16 pm

the full sp wrote:What's also interesting is that Kingsley claims Elvis was to work with between 50 and 80 songs during the engagement. That's probably the number he had rehearsed and clearly he intended to sing much more than he ended up doing. Maybe he was too scared to make a change of what obviously was a succesful opening night.

50-80 though is a lot. I count 27 songs that we have definately heard of Elvis singing during the engagement (including Loving You from the Definitive Live Collection Vol. 1 and I've counted each medley as 1 so Mystery Train/Tiger Man as one). We now have multiple accounts of Elvis singing One Night during this engagement. How many other songs do we think there are? I'd hazard a guess he sung That's All Right and It's Now or Never at least once.

The lists of songs rehearsed at RCA Hollywood in July is the best place to discuss other songs considered for, and possibly played at, the International.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
the full sp wrote:What's also interesting is that Kingsley claims Elvis was to work with between 50 and 80 songs during the engagement. That's probably the number he had rehearsed and clearly he intended to sing much more than he ended up doing. Maybe he was too scared to make a change of what obviously was a succesful opening night.

The lists of songs rehearsed at RCA Hollywood in July is the best place to discuss other songs considered for, and possibly played at, the International.

And where can one find this list? One of Tunzi's book isn't it? Coz I've never seen the list.

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:25 pm

the full sp wrote:And where can one find this list?

Elvis In Person - Original Album, Master Outtakes and August 22, 1969 DS (2008)
http://home.online.no/~ov-egela/elvisinpersonftd.html

The enclosed booklet is loaded with relevant information. The discs are amazing!

Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:33 pm

I'm well aware of the content of the discs. Would you care to share the list though?

Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:37 pm

Which artists recorded the songs ''Brown eyes'' and ''Summer days''

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:31 am

Hello,

For what it's worth, in May Mann's book she did before Elvis died, she mentioned that during the August 1969 engagement that Elvis performed "You'll Think Of Me."

As for "It's Only Love", in Robert Gordon's book "KIng On The Road" that he did with EPE, he shows the replica of a set list from the November, 1971 tour that lists "It's Only Love."

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:32 am

brian wrote:Which artists recorded the songs ''Brown eyes'' and ''Summer days''

Lady Gaga and Bob Dylan, respectively.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 12:44 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
brian wrote:Which artists recorded the songs ''Brown eyes'' and ''Summer days''

Lady Gaga and Bob Dylan, respectively.

I was thinking Fleetwood Mac and The Partridge Family (latter of which recorded songs with both titles)!

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:10 am

So much for Revelators useful posts. They contributed to what is already shaping up to be a great topic. Shame.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:19 am

I'm wondering what happened to them.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:28 am

Revelator wrote:I'm wondering what happened to them.

Removed because the administrators request that no reference be made to specific websites? Just my guess.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:41 am

Thanks for posting, Doc.

It would have taken much courage for Elvis that night. He would have had grade ten nerves.

Most artists who had not been on the live stage for sometime would have had a tryout at some hick place venue first.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:43 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:

Removed because the administrators request that no reference be made to specific websites? Just my guess.

Ok,well Revalator re-post without reference.i'd be ineterested to see what you posted as I missed it!

norrie

Wed Aug 04, 2010 1:48 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:

I think you're right, though I wonder why it's okay to link to Elvis in Norway but not okay to link to the-site-that-I-won't-mention. But never mind--I've been on enough message boards to know that the rules don't necessarily have to make sense in order to be binding.

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:10 am

40 mins...when you're used to Springsteen's shows, this sounds extremely short

Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:24 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:This one's for Rob.

Great article.

Thanks!