"If I Can Dream" --> Happy 42nd Birthday !

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:45 am

Time flies.

Today marks the 42nd anniversary of one of the greatest single moments in Elvis Presley's career.

On June 30, 1968, Elvis taped his live vocal rendition of "If I Can Dream" for his NBC-TV Special.

On it, the world heard and saw Elvis unleash a dynamic new voice -- he was invigorated like never before.

Some have attributed this change to seeing how friend and singer Tom Jones had adopted much of the rough, early Elvis sound in his super-successful Las Vegas act, others to something grounded in Presley just rediscovering his love of 1950s blues and R&B hits.

Either way, it led to some of the greatest music of his life.

phpBB [video]

Elvis Presley - "If I Can Dream" (taped June 30, 1968, Burbank, CA ... starts @ 3:41)

Happy 42nd birthday, "If I Can Dream."

You are the greatest TV Special closer of all time!!

Re: "If I Can Dream" --> Happy 42nd Birthday !

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:53 am

by all means this was a fantastic lp. Time certainly does fly

Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:55 am

A great moment, yes.

But I rate sitting in a cinema in 157 watching the first rendition of Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do in Loving You.

The first time those outside of the USA saw the real Elvis doing his thing.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:42 am

KiwiAlan wrote:A great moment, yes.

But I rate sitting in a cinema in 157 watching the first rendition of Got A Lot Of Livin' To Do in Loving You.

King Creole is no doubt technically the best of his four pre-army films, but Loving You has to be the most fun. He shines on the musical numbers. I particularly loved Got a Lot of Livin' To Do as a kid - and still do.

And the live version of If I Can Dream must rank in the top 10 of all time best Elvis performances.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:54 am

If i can dream always sends a shiver down my spine....Thanks Elvis,and DR John for posting

Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:26 pm

"If I Can Dream" is IMO Elvis best record ever!

The song itself definitely deserves a topic.

What a voice!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Time flies.

Today marks the 42nd anniversary of one of the greatest single moments in Elvis Presley's career.

On June 30, 1968, Elvis taped his live vocal rendition of "If I Can Dream" for his NBC-TV Special.

On it, the world heard and saw Elvis unleash a dynamic new voice -- he was invigorated like never before.

Some have attributed this change to seeing how friend and singer Tom Jones had adopted much of the rough, early Elvis sound in his super-successful Las Vegas act, others to something grounded in Presley just rediscovering his love of 1950s blues and R&B hits.

Either way, it led to some of the greatest music of his life.

Fantastic post Doc! To watch Elvis dig in and perform this magnificent song with such passion and brilliance, it still gives me goosebumps till this day! As far as Tom Jones being an inspiration, I think Jones inspired him to kick ass again on stage, but I also agree with people who said it was Elvis rediscovering his love for 50's blues and R&B hits, that helped achieve that roughness which worked so well during the special. There aren't enough superlatives to describe his performance during the 68 special.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:23 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:A great moment, yes.

Blimey, Kiwi. I didn't know you were around then. :wink:

Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:39 pm

As far as I know he never intended to do (or did) live renditions of "IF I CAN DREAM" after those 1968 historic recordings. That is surely a song he respected.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:04 pm

Juan Luis wrote:As far as I know he never intended to do (or did) live renditions of "IF I CAN DREAM" after those 1968 historic recordings. That is surely a song he respected.

You are correct, as far as I know. Elvis never did another performance of that song after that first historic/classic performance.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:09 pm

What a great song! What a great perfomance!!

Thanks Doc.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:11 pm

I must say I dont see any Tom Jones influence, nor any other singer... not even Elvis himself. Vocally and artistically Elvis just transcended the known limits.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:33 pm

stupot wrote:I must say I dont see any Tom Jones influence, nor any other singer... not even Elvis himself. Vocally and artistically Elvis just transcended the known limits.
Agree. The "influence" came imo a year or two later. After many a time of thinking different I have come to terms that it was a good wakeup call for Elvis. Tom Jones.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:12 pm

Truly magnificent.

Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:03 pm

It's one of many great moments in Elvis' career! A true classic!

Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:53 pm

Thanks to everyone with a kind comment.

"If I Can Dream" is the one Elvis performance that never fails to bring a jaded, non-Presley fan to tears.

How many TV shows, let alone moments like the closer above, do people still talk about from 1968?

Elvis' December 3 broadcast on NBC-TV is just about the only one.

stupot wrote:I must say I dont see any Tom Jones influence, nor any other singer... not even Elvis himself.
Vocally and artistically Elvis just transcended the known limits.

Yes, true -- but the Jones influence is unmistakable nonetheless.

Whereas in 1968 Elvis seized back from Tom the fervor that he'd loved in Presley's classic 50s recordings, in 1970-71 Elvis embraced the over-the-top ballad style that Jones had perfected.

It was mere weeks before taping, on Saturday, April 6, Elvis saw Jones rock the Flamingo. It was Tom's Las Vegas debut, having signed a $980,000 contract with the hotel the previous October. His career was ascending, and the show was considered a big change in the entertainment scene.

Tom Jones, Priscilla, Elvis - Flamingo Hotel, Saturday, April 6, 1968

Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:39 pm

This performance still gives me chills everytime I play it. Elvis at his absolute best.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:27 am

Oh yeah... thanks for bringing it on. It's fantastic, magic :smt007
And it always gives me a glimpse of hope.

It is definitely one of Elvis' best songs ever (but don't they include it a little too often on recent official releases?) :wink:

Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks to everyone with a kind comment.

"If I Can Dream" is the one Elvis performance that never fails to bring a jaded, non-Presley fan to tears.

How many TV shows, let alone moments like the closer above, do people still talk about from 1968?

Elvis' December 3 broadcast on NBC-TV is just about the only one.

stupot wrote:I must say I dont see any Tom Jones influence, nor any other singer... not even Elvis himself.
Vocally and artistically Elvis just transcended the known limits.

Yes, true -- but the Jones influence is unmistakable nonetheless.

Whereas in 1968 Elvis seized back from Tom the fervor that he'd loved in Presley's classic 50s recordings, in 1970-71 Elvis embraced the over-the-top ballad style that Jones had perfected.

It was mere weeks before taping, on Saturday, April 6, Elvis saw Jones rock the Flamingo. It was Tom's Las Vegas debut, having signed a $980,000 contract with the hotel the previous October. His career was ascending, and the show was considered a big change in the entertainment scene.

Tom Jones, Priscilla, Elvis - Flamingo Hotel, Saturday, April 6, 1968

Doc i dont see any parallels between Tom and Elvis in the 68 Special except that seeing Tom will have got Elvis even more excited about performing again.

After a while his antics and dare i say monotone voice really starts to grate. I know he has some nifty moves and that he and Elvis spent time togeather but he really is a million miles from "Trying To Get To You" or "If I Can Dream". My old man used to provide personal security for him when he appeared in Blackpool's Winter Gardens in the early 60's and thinks the world of him, but for me he has many limitations which are underlined more when he tries to do stuff like "What'd I Say". Just my opinion.

Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:47 am

Much thanks Doc-as always,you deliver!
This song,unheard today for the most part on mainstream radio,is an anthem both of sadness and hope.For those of us for whom their personal lives seem a shamble,it is a message of hope,Uplifting and excilerating,it is almost certainly in the top ten of his vocal performances.
Thanks again!

Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:10 pm

jbnva58 wrote:Much thanks Doc-as always,you deliver!
This song,unheard today for the most part on mainstream radio,is an anthem both of sadness and hope.For those of us for whom their personal lives seem a shamble,it is a message of hope,Uplifting and exhilarating,it is almost certainly in the top ten of his vocal performances.
Thanks again!

You are most welcome!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:16 am

Right from the top drawer.

Awesome!!!

Fri Oct 01, 2010 2:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
jbnva58 wrote:Much thanks Doc-as always,you deliver!
This song,unheard today for the most part on mainstream radio,is an anthem both of sadness and hope.For those of us for whom their personal lives seem a shamble,it is a message of hope,Uplifting and exhilarating,it is almost certainly in the top ten of his vocal performances.
Thanks again!

You are most welcome!

Have you only resurrected this post for some sort of self therapy.

Fri Oct 01, 2010 10:48 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:Have you only resurrected this post for some sort of self therapy.

Post subject: The Resurrection
Posted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 6:00 pm
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56087

Sat Feb 02, 2013 12:59 am

A great song and a great moment in the history of music. If only Steve Binder had of captured the moment when Elvis sang the song for the first time and fell to his knees- according to Steve's memoirs. That would've been great to see on camera.