Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sat Feb 12, 2011 11:27 pm

midnightx wrote:The issue isn’t about Elvis needing to prove himself by playing stadiums. The point was to show that Elvis wasn’t “pack[ing] in more people than the so-called great acts of the time.” Other mainstream acts were playing to massive amounts of people and were as much, or more, of a draw than Elvis in 1977.

I guess it depended on what part of the country he played in and how often he came to a certain city. When he came here to Denver in 70, 73 and 76, he broke records for how fast tickets sold each time, especially in 1976. He sold out 20,000 seats in 6 hours with enough people still waiting in line to sell out another show and this was before you could buy tickets by phone. By contrast, when Paul McCartney and Elton John played the same arena both in 1976. There was still tickets available for their shows right up until show time.

Also the media attention every time Elvis played Denver was always over the top by the local news. They just didn't do that with the "current" popular acts that came through town

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:26 am

Phoenix78 wrote:Oh God..............I've abandoned what I was going to say. Yes Elvis sucked in '77. This period should be frowned upon with great disgust & embarrassment. All opposition shall be put to death!

Give me a break!

Everything does not have to either "suck" or be "classic", you know. There's a lot of room in the middle, and much of Elvis's work fits there.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:35 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Phoenix78 wrote:Oh God..............I've abandoned what I was going to say. Yes Elvis sucked in '77. This period should be frowned upon with great disgust & embarrassment. All opposition shall be put to death!

Give me a break!

You must be fun at funerals.

haha
yeah, I kinda like funerals.....they're special. I try to keep'em lively. I've been to many, hell just this past week for a GREAT young friend who past of a heart attack at 22 yrs old. I find it more therapeutic to celebrate the person's life & not drowning in the sorrows at hand. It's not easy, but it works for me.

I guess that's why I sympathize so much with the troubled & sick Elvis. It should ALL be celebrated for different reasons.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:39 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:

Give me a break!

Everything does not have to either "suck" or be "classic", you know. There's a lot of room in the middle, and much of Elvis's work fits there.

Uh yeah.....that was my point. I was being sarcastic.
With Elvis there's more "room" than one could imagine. That's why he affects so many different aspects of culture from a global standpoint.

Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:58 am

I don't think anyone was saying that his music was all bad in 1977. It is fine to have compassion for a sick and troubled Elvis, and like that material, but "celebrating" it?

Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:34 am

Frankie Teardrop wrote:I don't think anyone was saying that his music was all bad in 1977. It is fine to have compassion for a sick and troubled Elvis, and like that material, but "celebrating" it?

Death and sub-par performances are meant to celebrated!

Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:13 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Frankie Teardrop wrote:I don't think anyone was saying that his music was all bad in 1977. It is fine to have compassion for a sick and troubled Elvis, and like that material, but "celebrating" it?

They are "classic"!

Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:31 am

Great post, DOC.. Thanks very much.
I, too, was at that show. After seeing Elvis in 71, 73, 74 and even 76, he did appear much "slower" and the show was much different. IMHO, there were a couple of highlights, however. My Way being one of them. That was a nice surprise and seemed to be very spontaneous. Perhaps when one is at a show ones objectivity is compromised in some regard. Nevertheless, I did enjoy the show and Elvis, at least to me, seemed to be trying. Elvis' comments at the end of the show about being in "good health" was strange. Obviously, he was not.

rlj

Wed Apr 25, 2012 4:49 am

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

They are "classic"!

8) And you,Frankie and Doc are classic's for sure! :lol: When Elvis appeared in his last concert special on television in 1977,I was beside myself with excitement,unlike anything I've ever experienced in my life(he was just a little bit charismatic,mysterious and magical unlike anyone who's ever existed!) and so I can imagine how a "few" people really dug seeing "The Man" live!!!!!!!!!! 8) :smt006 8)

Wed Apr 25, 2012 5:30 am

Personally I’d have paid money just to watch Elvis landing at the airport on the “Lisa Marie”. I wouldn’t have made any effort to attend any of the gigs by the bands mentioned by midnightx, however, in his defense I’ve a friend here (Jeff) who has the most staggering knowledge in music of anyone I’ve ever met. He has a great taste in music to boot, quite unusual for an American of his generation. He owns a bar here called “Garage”. He’s a big ‘fan’ of Elvis, Springsteen, Orbison, Lennon, Dylan, Cooke, McPhatter etc – you know, all the good stuff. He hasn’t missed a Bruce Springsteen tour since 1975 (amazing) and as he comes originally from Los Angeles and was always attending gigs as a teenager I asked him why he never went to see Elvis at the Forum in May 1974. He says that Elvis wasn’t really on the radar and there was more exciting concerts to attend at the time. In hindsight he regrets it now. It says a lot about Elvis grueling tour schedule for me and as I often say things need to be kept in perspective. I don’t imagine that Elvis wasn’t attracting a lot of teenagers to gigs who were not been taken there by family members, sure there would have been a handful but doubtfully the norm.