Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:22 am

"I'm as mad as hell and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

This great and passionate speech and scene is directed towards all of you that bash and insult Elvis constantly!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dib2-HBsF08
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 4:51 am

Dude, chill out.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:19 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:I'd say he needed a new show wayyy before 1976 how about after 1970!

I was trying to stay in context with the thread title but 1970 is much too early to see a pattern since this was
his first year of touring in 13 years.

But after the Aloha special, something should have changed.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:17 am

I'm a fan. I listen to his music nearly every day, buy CDs, and peruse sites such as this, EIN and others. I never bashed or insulted Elvis. But I am honest. Elvis only hurt his legacy by appearing the way he did, performing below standards, and allowing himself to be filmed for a special. I don't have blinders on...watch EIN clips with any non-hardcore fan and see their reaction...they will feel embarrassed for you. Then show them 50s footage, the comeback special, TTWII, EOT or Aloha, and they will be amazed it is even the same person. Elvis was bad in 77, and had he lived to clean himself up, he probably would have been ashamed of how bad he allowed it all to get. Elvis is great, but highlights from 77 are few and far between, usually just single good performances during overall bad shows. Long live the King...the man who changed rock and roll...not the sick man who should've been in the hospital instead of mumbling one minute versions of his classics and using up 20 minutes on intros and other singers.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 am

Sadly, bquick, some posters on this forum fail to be able to understand or deal with reality...

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:00 am

ian wrote:
bquick wrote:I would love to have been able to see Elvis at any stage in his career just to see him...but thinking his 1977 concerts could compete quality-wise with any other top act is just ludicrous! Some people here would claim Elvis mumbling through Teddy Bear, spending 1/3 of the show on introductions, asking Kathy or the Stamps to sing songs and hardly being able to move would be a better experience than a Springsteen-type putting their soul on the line for three hours of true rock and roll. INSANE! Elvis AT HIS BEST was untouchable...but Elvis at his worst was not still better than other artists' best. Gosh, if Elvis in 1969 could have looked at a crystal ball and watched a 77 show he would have puked in disgust. c'mon people.

I wish someone would puke on you.

Why you and your 1977 followers can't accept the truth?

Sucks to be you.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:04 am

ekenee wrote:It's all relative.
Perhaps the Eagles were doing better shows "for the period" for them.
Same with LS.
Elvis was doing sub standard shows in relative terms that he was capable of.
But to say, "they were producing better shows than Elvis Presley" is pure bias.

Never cared for the Eagles personally. They suck as far as I'm concerned. Yes that may be bias but its
the truth as I see it.

How about this for comparison.
I'd rather buy an Elvis concert ticket in 1977, and hear the Sweet Inspirations opening act, then leave the arena before Elvis
goes on, long before I would ever sit thru anything by the Eagles.

Why? because in 1977 the Sweet Inspirations were putting on better show than the Eagles!

HAHA you are too funny man. If you don't think LS was putting on better shows than Elvis in 1977 or 1976. or 1975 you are way off the mark.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:07 am

ekenee wrote:
I don't think you can criticize him for mumbling.
He had done that all his career.
I still can't understand what he says on some songs.

Your right, i love listening to concerts where the singers mumble through there lyrics.

I'm sorry but you just defined fans with rose colored glasses. You actually set the mark with that one.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:28 am

If someone here says he would rather see Elvis in 1977 over Bruce Springsteen, because he's not interested in Bruce, that doesn't mean rose colored glasses are on. When he was alive, hope sprang eternal that we would catch him on a good night. Hopes were dashed a lot in 1977.

Steve L.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:15 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Your right, i love listening to concerts where the singers mumble through there lyrics.

I'm sorry but you just defined fans with rose colored glasses. You actually set the mark with that one.

You call your self elvispresleyfan1935.
And yet you have no understanding of Elvis' ways of singing.
You sound like one of the critics from a newspaper that has never
heard his records but can't stand the fact he mumbles.

He had been mumbling, slurring, and running the words together ever since the sun days.
It is very hard to understand everything Elvis says, but that doesn't matter in the least.
It's always been that way. It is part of his style and I wouldn't want elvis coming out there
and perfectly enunciating every word so that it is understood by you.
When singers have a unique "phrasing" such as Elvis, it is what make them special.

The fact is, a singer doesn't have not be understood to be appreciated.
I have no idea what Elvis is saying in "Guadalahara" but I like the song.

How can I have rose colored glasses. I admit that he does mumble.
I am just saying, that's ok with me.

As far as your other post concerning LS live show.

Explain to me why their shows are so good.
You see this is where it gets into subjectiveness.
What criteria do you use, to define a good show??

They don't mumble?

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:22 am

You're right ekenee - Elvis' vocal efforts in 1977 were Everest conquered and no other touring act could reach his standard at that time.

1977 FTW!!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:34 am

You are right Ekenee.

Lets compare these two videos.

LS 1977 Free Bird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... feature=iv

How Great Thou Art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxC7ZoYkaDw

If you can honestly watch those, and tell me theres no excitement in the LS video are you day dreaming son.

I consider a good job, live, action, moving, not sleep walking through another same setlist, town, costume etc.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 am

elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:You are right Ekenee.

Lets compare these two videos.

LS 1977 Free Bird
http://www.youtube.com/watch?annotation ... feature=iv

How Great Thou Art
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NxC7ZoYkaDw

If you can honestly watch those, and tell me theres no excitement in the LS video are you day dreaming son.

I consider a good job, live, action, moving, not sleep walking through another same setlist, town, costume etc.

Didn't Elvis do that song first in Jailhouse rock?

" I look out my window, and what do I see,
I see a bird up in the tree, I want to be free"

Sorry dude, nothing personal, I just don't like LS.
Not to say their fans don't like 'em, but they are not my cup of tea.
As I wrote earlier I would see dozens of groups, singers, before I would ever see/ hear LS..

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:41 am

Im just saying there act was way more exciting than ep shows in the last 2 years or so of his life if not earlier. Its not a knock on EP i love the man to death, but I can see when somethings great and not so great/

Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:56 am

ekenee wrote:
elvispresleyfan1935 wrote:
ekenee wrote:

You call your self elvispresleyfan1935.
And yet you have no understanding of Elvis' ways of singing.
You sound like one of the critics from a newspaper that has never
heard his records but can't stand the fact he mumbles.

He had been mumbling, slurring, and running the words together ever since the sun days.
It is very hard to understand everything Elvis says, but that doesn't matter in the least.
It's always been that way. It is part of his style and I wouldn't want elvis coming out there
and perfectly enunciating every word so that it is understood by you.
When singers have a unique "phrasing" such as Elvis, it is what make them special.

The fact is, a singer doesn't have not be understood to be appreciated.
I have no idea what Elvis is saying in "Guadalahara" but I like the song.

How can I have rose colored glasses. I admit that he does mumble.
I am just saying, that's ok with me.

As far as your other post concerning LS live show.

Explain to me why their shows are so good.
You see this is where it gets into subjectiveness.
What criteria do you use, to define a good show??

They don't mumble?

There is a big difference between vocal phrasing from the 50s and drugged out mumbling from the 70s. Elvis didn't sound like that during the 50s tv appearances, the Sinatra special, his 60s movies, the comeback special, ttwii, eot, and there were a few hints in Aloha. He absolutely did not sound like that his entire career. He may have mumbled some on stage banter, but in 77 he sounds like he was singing while being put under for surgery...there is a big difference.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:03 am

bquick wrote:but in 77 he sounds like he was singing while being put under for surgery...

Ouch. There is a posse out there that will be very unhappy about this!

Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:25 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:But wasn't the colonel offered a million bucks for some huge arena in Australia or the UK?

So, he could have been packing them in.

Well, perhaps a few stadiums would have been filled in countries never performed in, but in the United States, where all of Presley's live work was produced, he rarely played stadiums - and in 1977 (which is the focus of this discussion), he was playing a lot of secondary markets. Other "so-called great acts" of the era were selling out multiple nights at MSG, LA Forum, and playing various stadiums around the United States while Elvis was filling up the Omaha Civic Auditorium and playing other stellar markets like Madison, Abilene and Johnson City.

I have said this before and I'll say it again, I don't think an artist really needs to play large stadiums to prove themselves.

Secondary markets and college towns aren't a bad idea as long as its not overdoen.

Elvis also in later years could have even stepped down even more by playing to very smaller indoor theater type venues once in a while. It give the singer a much more intimate repoire with the audience.

Of course with this and or an international gig he would have to have been prepared, in that Elvis would have gotten himself into
fighting wieght. Get healthy.
Cut out the orchestra.
Did some serious rehearsals.
And changed his set list.
He needed new show after 1976.

No artist should need to prove themselves by playing only stadiums. Nothing wrong with a stripped down set (with scotty and dj?? That would have been fun) in a smaller setting, or hitting some smaller markets as to not oversaturate the big ones. But Elvis Presley should have also been consistently playing the legendary venues like MSG. If he had been up to it health wise he could have put on some legendary shows at the world's best venues.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:49 pm

The issue isn’t about Elvis needing to prove himself by playing stadiums. The point was to show that Elvis wasn’t “pack[ing] in more people than the so-called great acts of the time.” Other mainstream acts were playing to massive amounts of people and were as much, or more, of a draw than Elvis in 1977.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 pm

midnightx wrote:The issue isn’t about Elvis needing to prove himself by playing stadiums. The point was to show that Elvis wasn’t “pack[ing] in more people than the so-called great acts of the time.” Other mainstream acts were playing to massive amounts of people and were as much, or more, of a draw than Elvis in 1977.

So, a year and half earlier when he broke the record for attendance at Pontiac stadium means nothing?
And the fact that he was unhealthy and didn't look his best, just goes to show that he didn't need to always
"pack them in".

I mean how many stadiums were there in the mid 1970's that held 50,ooo+ people?

If he kept to that criteria, there would be entire states, and sections of the country that
he would never be able to play to his fans.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:27 pm

I never said it didn't mean anything. Again, look at development of the posts. The assertion I am responding to is that Elvis was outselling other "so-called great acts of the time." That claim is erroneous.

Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:43 pm

I would have LOVED to see Elvis "live"............but in his prime.

Elvis 1977 should have been directed to rest up off the road.
Yes, the voice was still strong, lost a slight edge, but was still strong, so, the studio would have been the place, recording whilst getting some sanity back in his life.
Yes, he would have been my choice in 1977, I was 22 years old, but, on reflection, I would not have seen the best of Elvis and other artists were hitting it in their prime at the time. Elvis would have been important to go and see because he had been part of my life by the past 15 years.................................but, it wouldn't have been at his peak in comparison to others.

I'm in total agreement with bquick and the views posted.
I hope there is room on this forum to allow our own feelings, comments and views breath without others being rude.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:39 am

Oh God..............I've abandoned what I was going to say. Yes Elvis sucked in '77. This period should be frowned upon with great disgust & embarrassment. All opposition shall be put to death!

Give me a break!

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:42 am

It was a "classic" era.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:45 am

midnightx wrote:It was a "classic" era.
It was the end of an era.

Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:46 pm

Phoenix78 wrote:Oh God..............I've abandoned what I was going to say. Yes Elvis sucked in '77. This period should be frowned upon with great disgust & embarrassment. All opposition shall be put to death!

Give me a break!

You must be fun at funerals.