Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:36 am

Taking a peek at Billboard's Top Boxoffice for the last week of May 1977, Elvis was still #1:

Billboard - Jun 11, 1977

The show at the Spectrum must have been greatly anticipated.
It was certainly one of the biggest crowds he played to in 1977: 18, 850 people.
Perhaps the rave reviews of his Pittsburgh gig on Dec 31, 1976 raised expectations.

Elvis - Philadelphia Spectrum, Saturday, May 28, 1977
Photo: Keith Alverson

Set:
Introduction: Also Sprach Zarathustra
C.C. Rider
I Got A Woman / Amen
Love Me
My Way
Jailhouse Rock
You Gave Me A Mountain
O Sole Mio / It's Now Or Never
Little Sister
Teddy Bear / Don't Be Cruel
And I Love You So
Polk Salad Annie
Introductions by Elvis of vocalists, band
Early Morning Rain (John Wilkinson)
What I'd Say? (James Burton)
Johnny B. Goode (James Burton)
Drum solo (Ronnie Tutt)
Bass solo (Jerry Scheff)
Piano solo (Tony Brown)
Electric piano solo (Bobby Ogdin)
Introductions by Elvis of vocalists, orchestra
School Day (Joe Guercio Orchestra)
Hurt
Walk That Lonesome Road (J.D. Sumner and the Stamps Quartet)
Hound Dog
Can't Help Falling In Love
Closing vamp and announcements

---

Sadly, according to super-fans who attended the event, both famous (Bruce Springsteen) and not-so-famous (members of FECC), this was "not a good night" for our hero.
The next evening in Baltimore also did not go well.

Still, Elvis hung in there, bless his heart.

Re: Elvis Was Still #1 In 1977

Sat Jun 05, 2010 12:44 am

A sell out performance !

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:28 am

Great post Doc! I love seeing those old tour gross lists. How about those ticket prices?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:45 am

If I recall correctly,it seems Elvis ended up as the #1 box office draw of the year(77).
Any info on this Doc?(That would be in the year end issue,of course).

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:53 am

Man, that's soooo hard to believe, but, as they say, the proof is in the pudding! Great post Doc. Yeah we all know, you do what you can :smt023

Sat Jun 05, 2010 1:55 am

Interesting that My Way was performed so early in the show.

I've been collecting these box office lists for years. Next time somebody says Elvis was a Vegas lounge act, just show them that he was the top draw in the land, right up to the end.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:05 am

How come the 12,841 attendance at Baltimore on the 29 may,the 10,000 at Rochester
on the 25th May or 13,500 at Providence on the 23rd May didn't make the list ?

(source elvisconcerts.com)

norrie

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:09 am

Here is another example. Image
Last edited by Juan Luis on Sun Jun 06, 2010 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:18 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It was certainly one of the biggest crowds he played to in 1977: 18, 850 people.

There was at least that many inside Freedom Hall in Louisville on May 21st.

And he was able to put on a little better show.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:19 am

Didn't realise Elvis concert tickets were quite expensive compared to others of the time.

norrie

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:21 am

He looks a little tired.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:39 am

I remember sitting in my local record shop at the end of June and I remember pointing out to the owner that Elvis was #1 on the box office list that week for one of the last shows--don't remember which one it was.

She wasn't impressed--said it was just his name that drew the crowd.

T

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:08 am

I'm a little confused as to what this really means at the time. Either it was just for the week, month, the year added up to that point? I'm sure he did finish towards the top this year. It would be interesting to see some of the 72,73,74,75,76 numbers as well. Anyone have these?

Sat Jun 05, 2010 6:20 am

intelwild wrote:I'm a little confused as to what this really means at the time. Either it was just for the week, month, the year added up to that point? I'm sure he did finish towards the top this year. It would be interesting to see some of the 72,73,74,75,76 numbers as well. Anyone have these?

Look up Google books.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:00 am

intheghetto wrote:Wow look at all the other acts on there! Alot of stuff I grew up with. It's amazing to see Elvis beating out all of the contemporary acts of that time.

Yes, and so many of them were putting on superior shows at that point in time.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:01 am

midnightx wrote:
intheghetto wrote:Wow look at all the other acts on there! Alot of stuff I grew up with. It's amazing to see Elvis beating out all of the contemporary acts of that time.

And yet, I would still prefer to be at an Elvis show.

In fact, I would pay $10 just to hear Elvis sing "unchainged Melody" at the piano, than to hear a whole show by
any of those other 70's acts.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:02 am

This is timely as I wasgoing to start a thread anout this concert, based on a fan review printed in Elvis Monthly 209.

"He looked perfect. The lies about his appearaance could be crumbled to ashes with just one look. Oh how beautfiul he was."

I think the writer may have been a little blinkered

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:05 am

Sorry, just realised the review referred to Elvis' performance at the same venue the previous June.

The same `blinkered' sentiment could still apply.

Still, nice to see Elvis on top

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:48 am

ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

In fact, I would pay $10 just to hear Elvis sing "unchainged Melody" at the piano, than to hear a whole show by

Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:01 am

No debate for me - i would have gone to see Elvis in 1977 over anyone else

Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:39 am

midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Then why don't you go pester the fans on The Eagles, ELP and Lynyrd Skynyrd messageboards? If they'd performed a joint concert on the corner of my street I wouldn't have bothered to open the curtains, It just goes to show you don't 'feel' the importance of Elvis Presley. Even in 1977 he generated excitement in the crowds, it's obvious you have no clue as to what Elvis really meant to people. Have a nice day listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:23 pm

midnightx wrote:Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Baffling to say the least.

Andy

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

Then why don't you go pester the fans on The Eagles, ELP and Lynyrd Skynyrd messageboards? If they'd performed a joint concert on the corner of my street I wouldn't have bothered to open the curtains, It just goes to show you don't 'feel' the importance of Elvis Presley. Even in 1977 he generated excitement in the crowds, it's obvious you have no clue as to what Elvis really meant to people. Have a nice day listening to Lynyrd Skynyrd.

Ouch! Very well said.

Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:28 pm

jetblack wrote:
midnightx wrote:Suit yourself. Even while Elvis is generally number one for me, in 1977, from the artists on that particular list the Doc posted, I would have chosen to see The Eagles, ELP, and Lynyrd Skynyrd over the King.

Baffling to say the least.

Andy

Not really. Given enough time, the mask eventually falls....

Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:28 pm

Simon1 wrote:
midnightx wrote:
ekenee wrote:
midnightx wrote:

What does understanding what Elvis meant to people have to do with the fact that the 3 acts I referenced from the list were producing superior live events? While Elvis' band was sleepwalking through another set, Skynyrd was dazzling audiences with its live prowess – sorry but I’ll take Allen Collins, Gary Rossington & Steve Gaines over Burton & Wilkinson circa ’77 and I would have taken Billy Powell over Tony Brown any day of the week. By 1977, ELP was one of the most virtuoso musical line-ups in contemporary music and they were flooring audiences during that period with their stimulating live shows - that would have been a great era to catch that band. And of course, The Eagles were playing stadiums while Elvis was playing arenas in Lincoln Nebraska. I’ll take The Eagles in 1977, hitting all of their vocal cues and notes while Elvis lumbers around the stage handing out scarves during Love Me. We are all Elvis homers on some level – but some of us love not only Elvis, but other acts as well. Elvis was clearly still a box office draw in 1977, but other acts from the period were blowing him off the stage. Take off the rose-colored glasses fellas – there was some great music during that period.