Re: Rockin' Burbank, June 1968 --> What Was On The Charts?

Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:39 pm

Right on Doc! I enjoyed reading over that chart .
"Yummy yummy yummy" at number 4 !
I remember it well along with "Simon Says" and "1,2,3 Redlight"

Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:00 am

promiseland wrote:Right on Doc! I enjoyed reading over that chart .
"Yummy yummy yummy" at number 4 !
I remember it well along with "Simon Says" and "1,2,3 Redlight"

Okay, everyone hold you nose,and sing along: "Yummy, yummy, yummy I got love in my tummy, and i feel like loving you".

Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:15 pm

Great topic Doc, but whats more to the NBC special is that Elvis was still on the movies, with in my opinion corny songs like Your Time. 68 was the year that ruled by great groups like The Beatles, Stones The Byrds togheter with a lot of great artists from both sides of the atlantic. Stax and Motown had great bands and artists releasing wonderful music. In those days the music lasted, a song coul'd have several re-entrys on the charts. It was the time when black artists was trying to make "white pop/country" music
and white artists was trying to make "black soul" so for shure there was a lot of great music around.

In december 68 Elvis NBC show is on air with basicly a repetoar from more than a decade ago.
A very handsome Elvis sitting in a ring with a small combo, singings songs from the 50's and put his
career back on track. He was the hero for many younger artists growing up on elvis like Lennon McCartney and to me it shows that both the songs, the presentation and the man himself had the power to show the world that he really was the king no matter what, and there was more to come in the future!!
Makes me wonder what was on the lists December January when the show was aired for the first time.

Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:45 pm

blue boy wrote:Great topic Doc, but whats more to the NBC special is that Elvis was still on the movies, with in my opinion corny songs like Your Time. 68 was the year that ruled by great groups like The Beatles, Stones The Byrds togheter with a lot of great artists from both sides of the atlantic. Stax and Motown had great bands and artists releasing wonderful music. In those days the music lasted, a song coul'd have several re-entrys on the charts. It was the time when black artists was trying to make "white pop/country" music
and white artists was trying to make "black soul" so for shure there was a lot of great music around.

In december 68 Elvis NBC show is on air with basicly a repetoar from more than a decade ago.
A very handsome Elvis sitting in a ring with a small combo, singings songs from the 50's and put his
career back on track. He was the hero for many younger artists growing up on elvis like Lennon McCartney and to me it shows that both the songs, the presentation and the man himself had the power to show the world that he really was the king no matter what, and there was more to come in the future!!
Makes me wonder what was on the lists December January when the show was aired for the first time.

Nice post.

Here is the Top 100 the week NBC-TV aired Elvis' now-legendary program.

Billboard Dec 07 1968 p60.jpg

Billboard - December 7, 1968
Note:At #63, "If I Can Dream" was in its second week on the chart, jumping almost 40 places up!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Feb 12, 2012 12:56 am

Thank you Doc, to me it seems that the December list had much better artists/songs than the June list, and if so harder to compete but Elvis was back!! When was If I Can Dream Released? Did it hit the market before
the show was aired or rush released to be out for Christmas? What was the highest place on american list if other than Billboard?

Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:36 am

So many great records on those charts! A few great ones that I noticed on that December chart: Too Weak To Fight - Clarence Carter; A Man and A Half - Wilson Pickett; and the classic pop song parody that everybody took at face value, Elenore - the Turtles. "You're my pride and joy, etc."

Sun Jan 20, 2013 3:42 pm

Good post!! I've now got this urge to pull out the 3 DVD deluxe set and watch it all again...and listen to him belting out "Tryin' To Get To You"...boy, what a performance!! I bet the world was jumping up and down, at the time and saying, "go on Elvis, show us what your really all about"..........

Sun Jan 20, 2013 5:30 pm

'If I Can Dream" had such a wonderful, immediate start and impact, then peaks at #12 !?

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:19 pm

Great Thread Doc Carpenter - Ty for sharing -
Elvis was 33 years of age and did his triumphant NBC '68 Special and came back and enjoyed what he loved to do most -To entertain his devoted Elvis fans . Long Live The King - After '68 come back Elvis was at Vegas for his return to Live Performances -
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 7:18 pm

Chewy, Chewy. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy. 1 2 3 Red Light, Sugar, Sugar. I do not understand how they could chart at all. And if you ever liked those songs, you have no reason to complain about ANY of Elvis' silly movie songs! The Monkees, Bobby Sherman, The Partridge Family......Justin Bieber. These songs and artists are for 11 year old girls.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 4:56 am

skatterbrane wrote:Chewy, Chewy. Yummy, Yummy, Yummy. 1 2 3 Red Light, Sugar, Sugar. I do not understand how they could chart at all. And if you ever liked those songs, you have no reason to complain about ANY of Elvis' silly movie songs! The Monkees, Bobby Sherman, The Partridge Family......Justin Bieber. These songs and artists are for 11 year old girls.

11 year old girls bought records, i see no harm in there being music aimed at them. I wouldn't expect them to "get" If I Can Dream.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 5:44 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Good post!! I've now got this urge to pull out the 3 DVD deluxe set and watch it all again...and listen to him belting out "Tryin' To Get To You"...boy, what a performance!! I bet the world was jumping up and down, at the time and saying, "go on Elvis, show us what your really all about"..........

:facep: I doubt "the world" was doing that since "Trying To Get To You" wasn't part of the original broadcast.

You go ahead and pull out your 3 DVD deluxe set and watch it all again.
Go on, mysterytrainrideson, show us what you're really all about! :lol:

Tue Jan 22, 2013 2:57 pm

blue boy wrote:Thank you Doc, to me it seems that the December list had much better artists/songs than the June list, and if so harder to compete but Elvis was back!! When was If I Can Dream Released? Did it hit the market before
the show was aired or rush released to be out for Christmas? What was the highest place on american list if other than Billboard?

According to that Billboard chart, "If I Can Dream" appeared to be issued around November 23, 1968.

It peaked at Billboard US Pop #12 in January 1969 and CashBox #9 on February 1, 1969.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:08 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Good post!! I've now got this urge to pull out the 3 DVD deluxe set and watch it all again...and listen to him belting out "Tryin' To Get To You"...boy, what a performance!! I bet the world was jumping up and down, at the time and saying, "go on Elvis, show us what your really all about"..........

Thanks. Indeed, when the U.S. saw Elvis on Tuesday, December 3, 1968, they were blown away. When the rest of the world saw the program, about a year or so later, the feeling was the same.

phpBB [video]

Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:10 pm

minkahed wrote:'If I Can Dream" had such a wonderful, immediate start and impact, then peaks at #12 !?

As noted, the song went top ten in CashBox before the end of January, peaking at #9 a week later. Not too shabby for something so intense, unusual and striking -- especially from Elvis Presley in the late sixties.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Tue Dec 10, 2013 10:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:30 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
minkahed wrote:'If I Can Dream" had such a wonderful, immediate start and impact, then peaks at #12 !?

As noted, the song went top ten in Cash Box before the end of January, peaking at #9 a week later. Not too shabby for something so intense, unusual and striking -- especially from Elvis Presley in the late sixties.

It shows just how very deep that well was that he'd fallen into. He had several good singles leading up to that, and they all flopped - strictly on his lost credibility. So, this astonishing performance, which should easily have been a number #1 record, struggled into the top 15/top 10. It's not remembered that way now; most people would think it was a big hit if they didn't know. But that's the trick of memory. People look back on the Special as if it were inevitable, and it wasn't. It was a miracle, and it even took a while for some to realize what had happened!

(I wonder what tripped it up on it's way to the top: radio, or sales? Because that's a huge jump, and then it struggled.)

It really was amazing. That's why it's important to look back at the context.

rjm

Wed Jan 23, 2013 3:35 pm

This thread has been here for quite some time as I see that I posted a reply to it previously but once again Doc thanks for posting this. I love these old Billboard charts. They certainly give you a clearer perspective of what was happening in music and popular culture at any given time as opposed to the picture that is painted for us through things like oldies radio and greatest hits collections. Resources like that unfortunately don't give us the full representation. It's also interesting to see what songs were charting together and specifically in the context of when the '68 special was in production. With the exception of a Ray Charles cover of 'Eleanor Rigby' it's also notable to see The Beatles who at the time were still working on the White Album, are completely absent from this chart. Imagine that. A world that in only a few months time would hear that record for the very first time. Back then I was a mere toddler but I wish I was older and was able to consciously experience that. It must have been absolutely mind blowing.

Also on that chart at #14 People with 'I Love You'. That's something you don't hear much in lame oldies radio rotations.

phpBB [video]

Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:59 pm

Elvis never looked so happier when he did the 68 show and when you watch the show and see photos, it shows. He's got a smile on his face at all times. Thanks to steve Binder for standing up to Presley's management and allowing for a bit of creativeness to set in.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 11:45 pm

intheghetto wrote:This thread has been here for quite some time as I see that I posted a reply to it previously but once again Doc thanks for posting this. I love these old Billboard charts. They certainly give you a clearer perspective of what was happening in music and popular culture at any given time as opposed to the picture that is painted for us through things like oldies radio and greatest hits collections. Resources like that unfortunately don't give us the full representation. It's also interesting to see what songs were charting together and specifically in the context of when the '68 special was in production. With the exception of a Ray Charles cover of 'Eleanor Rigby' it's also notable to see The Beatles who at the time were still working on the White Album, are completely absent from this chart. Imagine that. A world that in only a few months time would hear that record for the very first time. Back then I was a mere toddler but I wish I was older and was able to consciously experience that. It must have been absolutely mind blowing.

Also on that chart at #14 People with 'I Love You'. That's something you don't hear much in lame oldies radio rotations.

phpBB [video]

Nice post. Thank you.

Fri Jan 25, 2013 3:58 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
blue boy wrote:Thank you Doc, to me it seems that the December list had much better artists/songs than the June list, and if so harder to compete but Elvis was back!! When was If I Can Dream Released? Did it hit the market before

According to that Billboard chart, "If I Can Dream" appeared to be issued around November 23, 1968.

It peaked at Billboard US Pop #12 in January 1969 and Cash Box #9 on February 1, 1969.

Not to be pedantic, but "If I Can Dream" was shipped November 5, 1968, about a month prior to the Special being aired.

It peaked in Billboard U.S. Pop at #12 on Febraury 1, 1969 in it's 10th week on the chart.

Ironically, it would chart for 3 more weeks before it disappeared from Billboard.

In all, Ernst claims the record sold at something like 800,000 units in it's original chart run.

Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:51 pm

Thanks for the charts, Doc. If I can Dream reached number 11 in the UK, very good for the time. The Beatles were on full glory with "Hey, Jude".