Re: Elvis' Christmas Album --> Mystery No More?

Wed Apr 06, 2011 2:50 am

Barry wrote:The Canadian 1958--LPM-1951
DSCN0019.JPG

I bet it's worth a whole bunch.

Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:37 am

I uploaded some larger versions of my screen shots to the original post. Enjoy.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:34 am

The original shipping date for LPM-1951 was September 25, 1959 for October 1959 release.

I received this update from Keith Flynn. I have updated the dates on my website with the information he had provided me. References to all his material and interesting pieces of information are provided within each of the posts below.

My links
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1951-elv ... mas-album/
http://www.elvisrecords.us/lpm-1951-elv ... etermined/

I have also corrected the date for EPA-4340 which holds the same image as LPM-1951. Mistakenly it was 9/1958. Corrected with the relevant documentation and sources.

http://www.elvisrecords.us/epa-4340-chr ... ith-elvis/
Last edited by elvisrecords.us on Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:08 am

Any chance that this may originally have been planned as a 10" LP? 8 songs, 4 per side...no Peace in the Valley tracks?

Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:50 am

Doc this is one Kick-Ass Topic!!
Although I had nothing to contribute, I thoroughly enjoyed reading every post , These type quality topics is what makes FECC so much fun and at the same time very imformative reading.

Hope to have even more of these from the masterminds DJC and Company!
::rocks

Fri Apr 13, 2012 12:22 pm

promiseland wrote:Doc this is one Kick-Ass Topic!!
Although I had nothing to contribute, I thoroughly enjoyed reading every post , These type quality topics is what makes FECC so much fun and at the same time very imformative reading.

Hope to have even more of these from the masterminds DJC and Company!

This has been a fascinating, informative read! Thanks, promiseland, for reviving it for those of us who weren't here to catch it the first time. The intricacies of the Christmas product, especially, but not limited to the first album, are quite complex. Thanks, Doc, for making it clearer!

rjm
P.S. -- Around a year ago, I was still messing with VERY old threads, and missed the then-still-current ones such as this. Well, it had additions, and I missed it then. I was still in awe of it all! :D

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:01 am

I just found an interesting, double-page, late October 1957 RCA ad in Billboard. which includes a plug for both the Christmas EP and LP:

Billboard Oct 28 1957 Audition 2-3.JPG
Billboard - October 28, 1957
Full scan of two-page advertisement

Interestingly, a mockup involving the David B. Hecht cover shot for the second LP in 1956 is used:

Billboard Oct 28 1957 Audition 3_DETAIL.JPG
Billboard - October 28, 1957
Detail of Presley album

One might think RCA's ad department might have the cover art ready, but it seems this was not the case. The ad does serve to show the album was due out in November, not October.

Merry Christmas, everybody!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:25 am

A very interesting find! Thanks for sharing!

Actually it was quite loosely Dinah Shore advertisement. Maybe that mock-up cover of Elvis' was at some time planned to be used for...

Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:12 am

What a great Topic. From what little i know, as the years passed, so did the music industry's merchandising skill and ability to extend the buying season. Sales of seasonal music LP's increased year on year in the early 1960's mainly because more people were actively buying albums in general but Christmas music in particular was being sold earlier and earlier. Also, Elvis' Christmas Album contained hymms that could have extended its availability beyond the traditional festive period.
In any case the deluxe original 1957 album and its various reprints was among the best-selling Christmas albums every year until the Camden album stole its thunder in 1970. With this in mind, it's interesting that the album is only 3x platinum. Can anyone confirm which of the two albums (1957 or 1970) achieved a soundscan total of 1,020,000 between 1991 and 2005?