Re: U.S.S. Arizona Memorial Benefit Show --> Golden Annivers

Sat May 21, 2011 9:42 pm

What a fantastic original post Doc, I had missed this whole thread up until now due to being on holiday. Reading about this show just highlights how wasteful much of the following 7 years were, what a shame that the proposed 1962 tour never materialised.

Chris.

Sun May 22, 2011 2:48 am

stevelecher wrote:
davide wrote:Image

Press Conference, Minnie Pearl, Sonny West, Joe Esposito and Elvis.

Isn't he just the coolest in this shot? Look at the look on his face.

Maybe FTD could do a classic album release and package their CD in something that looks like the original bootleg release, which is amongst the greatest releases by anyone ever.

This is a great thread.

Chris Roberts wrote:What a fantastic original post Doc, I had missed this whole thread up until now due to being on holiday. Reading about this show just highlights how wasteful much of the following 7 years were, what a shame that the proposed 1962 tour never materialised.

Thank you both. Yes, he looks great, and an FTD project would be a fine way to get this concert officially back in print, where it belongs. The show is indeed of great value, suggesting how much Elvis could have possibly dominated the next few years of pop music with ease, had he made some different choices.

Hopefully, I have a bit more to add to this topic soon.

Sun May 22, 2011 8:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
stevelecher wrote:
davide wrote:Image

Press Conference, Minnie Pearl, Sonny West, Joe Esposito and Elvis.

Isn't he just the coolest in this shot? Look at the look on his face.

Maybe FTD could do a classic album release and package their CD in something that looks like the original bootleg release, which is amongst the greatest releases by anyone ever.

This is a great thread.

Chris Roberts wrote:What a fantastic original post Doc, I had missed this whole thread up until now due to being on holiday. Reading about this show just highlights how wasteful much of the following 7 years were, what a shame that the proposed 1962 tour never materialised.

Thank you both. Yes, he looks great, and an FTD project would be a fine way to get this concert officially back in print, where it belongs. The show is indeed of great value, suggesting how much Elvis could have possibly dominated the next few years of pop music with ease, had he made some different choices.

Hopefully, I have a bit more to add to this topic soon.

Terrific thread! Well done Doc and too everybody who added to it!

Sun Mar 25, 2012 11:44 pm

Here's a little update of my post on page 6.

From the April 1961 New Musical Express article, four are new to my eyes, and a fifth, with Scotty, is uncropped. Look for the lei in mid-air that Elvis just tossed to end a song. Wonder which one?

610325_That's All Right.jpg
610325_w pole.jpg
610325_Lei Toss.jpg
610325_w Boots Randolph.jpg
610325_Hound Dog.jpg

I wish the quality was better!

Man, what a night!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:22 am

Has it ever been determined who recorded this show and where the master source tapes are now? Someone on another thread claimed that RCA only had access to a cassette copy when they published this show in the 1980 EAP box set. So if the recent MRS CD is sourced from the 1998 RCA CD reissue of the EAP box, this would mean that neither RCA or MRS have published a transfer from the master source tapes. So where are the master tapes now? And how much better do those master tapes sound than what RCA and MRS have published? This is a such a fantastic show -- I'd love for it to sound as good as possible and be released by Legacy or FTD. Is there any hope for a sonic upgrade from the source tapes?

Mon Mar 26, 2012 2:51 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Thanks a lot, everyone.

I wish I knew someone in Hawaii who could chat with Tom Moffatt.

Isn't he supposed to be in Memphis this August?

Tue Mar 27, 2012 3:52 am

I just realized my Sunday update was the 51st anniversary of the show.

Happy "Golden Plus One", Hawaiian Benefit Concert!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:09 am

Such an awesome post!!!! I can't believe I missed this all weekend......

Too bad we can't get this in "perfect audio" or even better "Video".

I just listened to this show a few days ago too. Such A Night live... So Cool

We need a 50's (up to 61) box set off every recording ever done (concert and TV) with improved audio. That would be the perfect FTD for me. That's all I'll ever need (besides New Recordings and Improved Home Recordings and a few other things).

Off topic.... Right now, I'm listening to Money Honey from the "Venus Room" LV '56..... It's Freakin Awesome!!!! That's All. Just Freakin Awesome!!!!

Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:17 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:I just realized my Sunday update was the 51st anniversary of the show.

Happy "Golden Plus One", Hawaiian Benefit Concert!

Is this a top 5 concert of Elvis' would you say Doc? Thanks for this thread btw!

Wed Mar 28, 2012 4:20 am

Joe Car wrote:Is this a top 5 concert of Elvis' would you say Doc? Thanks for this thread btw!

You are most welcome, Joe!

If I had to choose a single representative concert by Elvis Presley, this is most likely the #1 choice.

It is perfect in so many ways.

Wed Mar 28, 2012 3:49 pm

Does anyone have any info on the whereabouts of the master source tape? Can Legacy/FTD acquire it and issue it?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:23 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Is this a top 5 concert of Elvis' would you say Doc? Thanks for this thread btw!

You are most welcome, Joe!

If I had to choose a single representative concert by Elvis Presley, this is most likely the #1 choice.

It is perfect in so many ways.

Doc, why do you think this show was omitted from "The Complete Elvis Presley Masters" yet we got the 1956 Las Vegas show for the fourth time by my count.

1. "Elvis Aron Presley (The Silver Box)"
2. "Elvis, The King Of Rock 'N' Roll - The Complete 50's Masters"
3. "Live In Las Vegas" box set
4. "The Complete Elvis Presley Masters"

I'm not arguing with you regarding the status of this show...Personally, I think it probably belonged on "The Complete Elvis Presley Masters" box set given the scarcity of live performances from that period in Elvis' career. I would probably guess the decision came down to space limitations and the fact that the Las Vegas show from 1956 is of better quality regarding the tape source used.

Daryl

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:40 am

Has anyone noticed that not only were videos pulled down due to copyright, but ACCOUNTS got cancelled on a number of them!

Why would that be done, if some sort of project was not in the works? Make sense?

rjm

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:58 am

Daryl wrote:Doc, why do you think this show was omitted from "The Complete Elvis Presley Masters" ... I would probably guess the decision came down to space limitations and the fact that the Las Vegas show from 1956 is of better quality regarding the tape source used.

There you go.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Daryl wrote:Doc, why do you think this show was omitted from "The Complete Elvis Presley Masters" ... I would probably guess the decision came down to space limitations and the fact that the Las Vegas show from 1956 is of better quality regarding the tape source used.

There you go.

I didn't know the Vegas show from 56 is included in the Complete Elvis Presley Masters? The entire show?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 5:12 pm

rjm wrote:Has anyone noticed that not only were videos pulled down due to copyright, but ACCOUNTS got cancelled on a number of them!

Why would that be done, if some sort of project was not in the works? Make sense?

rjm

What videos are your referring to?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:07 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

There you go.

I didn't know the Vegas show from 56 is included in the Complete Elvis Presley Masters? The entire show?

Unless I'm missing something here, the Vegas show from 56 is NOT included in the Complete Elvis Presley Masters. If it is, can someone prove it with a link?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:18 pm

Disc 29, I believe ? http://completeelvis.com/pages/5565692/music

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:08 pm

James27 wrote:Disc 29, I believe ? http://completeelvis.com/pages/5565692/music

Yes, that is where it is.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:55 pm

Mike C wrote:

Gotcha!
It's a handful of songs mixed with the Louisiana Hayride.

That's such a great set. It's just so expensive

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:01 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Gotcha!

Watch Popmarket.com...you can sometimes see it sold for a discount price of $499.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:06 pm

thanks for an interesting topic!

why didn´t you mention and compare with the recent 2 bootleg releases in your original post, doc?

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:16 pm

Christopher wrote:thanks for an interesting topic!

why didn´t you mention and compare with the recent 2 bootleg releases in your original post, doc?

Apparently, only one of these will be considered an import.

Perhaps when both are available for comparison, information will be added.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:20 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Christopher wrote:thanks for an interesting topic!

Apparently, only one of these will be considered an import.

Perhaps when both are available for comparison, information will be added.
that may be correct, i forgot about the public domain.

thank you for your fast reply!
Last edited by Christopher on Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:35 pm

Mike C wrote:
ElvisTheKid wrote:
Mike C wrote:

Gotcha!

Watch Popmarket.com...you can sometimes see it sold for a discount price of $499.

Thanks. I just want the Book. And the case looks cool too