Re: "He May Be Dead ..." - Rolling Stone on 'Elvis Aron Pres

Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:46 am

Julian Grant wrote:As mentioned by someone else, I also preferred it to the later "Golden Celebration" which was a bit like "Last Train To Memphis" & the follow-up "Careless Love" scenario.

Elvis Aron Presley is to Elvis: A Golden Celebration as Last Train to Memphis: The RIse of Elvis Presley is to Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley?

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Julian Grant wrote:As mentioned by someone else, I also preferred it to the later "Golden Celebration" which was a bit like "Last Train To Memphis" & the follow-up "Careless Love" scenario.

Elvis Aron Presley is to Elvis: A Golden Celebration as Last Train to Memphis: The RIse of Elvis Presley is to Careless Love: The Unmaking of Elvis Presley?

Not literally of course, I was referring to the poster than said they much preferred “Elvis Aron Presley” to “A Golden Celebration”

It seemed inevitable that RCA would release something again similar to the format of the ‘Silver Box Set’ when they did it didn’t have the same impact on me. Hence my comparison to both Guralnick’s books. While both “Last Train To Memphis” and “Careless Love” are essential books for any fan of Elvis Presley the latter struck me as less passionate, more rushed and appeared more as a follow-up than the incredibly well researched and revealing predecessor.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:51 am

How a box set containing Sun outtakes, nearly every second of Elvis' 1956-57 TV appearances, not one but two unreleased 1956 performances, unissued 1959 German home demos as good as "Earth Angel," and some of the best small combo jams from June 1968 can be seen as lacking passion is beyond me.

Plus, it had a bonus color photo.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Plus, it had a bonus color photo.

Ha, indeed! I guess I enjoyed the Collectors Gold material, Hawaiian Benefit Show, the first Vegas shows, the fascinating monologue and the first time I heard "Kentucky Rain" live a little more though. ::rocks

Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:12 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Can anyone imagine a Presley set capturing the public's attention in 2011?

It's a shame there was not more promotional effort behind The Young Man With The Big Beat set. For us die hards most of the material is very familiar, but for casual, or new fans, it could be a revelation.

Mike

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:17 pm

Mike in New Jersey wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:Can anyone imagine a Presley set capturing the public's attention in 2011?

It's a shame there was not more promotional effort behind The Young Man With The Big Beat set. For us die hards most of the material is very familiar, but for casual, or new fans, it could be a revelation.

I totally agree. That set is one of the MAJOR highlights of 2011 for any Elvis Presley fan. What a beautiful set, a phenomenal year, 1956, and a fantastic, unissued gig from the time as a bonus.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 10:36 pm

Sadly, an expensive, expansive set like "The Young Man With The Big Beat" only held limited retail potential in 2011. At least Sony was able to get the green light for such a venture in this difficult music retail climate.

Tue Dec 27, 2011 11:45 pm

midnightx wrote:Sadly, an expensive, expansive set like "The Young Man With The Big Beat" only held limited retail potential in 2011. At least Sony was able to get the green light for such a venture in this difficult music retail climate.

I pop in and out of here from time to time, and it wasn't until I popped back in a few months ago that I found out about Big Beat. I may have completely missed it otherwise. It is a truly phenominal set (historically and musically) It really does deserve a bigger push that it's received. I can't get enough of the Dec. Hayride show.

back on topic...

I bought the EAP Set when it was released on CD by BMG (1998-1999?) and the 1961Hawaii charity concert alone is worth the price of admission (for me). Putting it in context however I can see how this can be viewed as sort of a hodge podge extension of the Legendary Performer series.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:04 am

midnightx wrote:It is an interesting perspective to say the least. Some of his analysis is intriguing while some of it seems to miss the mark. That being said, I can see how a project of this magnitude might leave one scratching their head. Frankly, I always found it as a revealing listen. I actually picked it up for the first time in 1998, knowing what I was getting and not expecting flawless performances. I suppose in 1980, it may have come across as awkward release with performances that didn't exactly highlight Elvis' genius or meet other artistic expectations. The box set is not a perfect vault project, but I think in this instance, Deary has to be given credit for releasing something of this magnitude as a mainstream release, particularly in that era of music releases.

I do think Marcus sums up the 1975 hybrid show quite well, " The music, distracted and by now wholly irrelevant, babbles on to the inevitable ending of "Can't Help Falling In Love"…. I have always felt this particular "concert" - and live work from that period in general - as being overrated.

:shock:

Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:14 am

KingOfTheJungle wrote:Marcus' condescending attitude toward the 1956 Vegas show speaks volumes about his limitations as a critic. Comparing the banter in this show with that in his late 70's live material is just absurd. In shows such as the Dallas 75 performance, Elvis's banter is playful and harmless, but there are moments in the 56 performance that reveal a thinly veiled disdain for the middle aged audience in attendance. When Elvis refers to the audience as "music lovers" after a tepid round of applause, his words drip with a pointed irony. This show is one of the best glimpses of the "front lines" of the cultural battle over rock n' roll, and our esteemed critic misses it entirely. That's to say nothing of the historical import of this show being released, IIRC, the May 56 Vegas show was the first recording of a live Presley concert from his breakout year to be made available for public. There is much of an enlightening nature that could be written about it by great music critic, but Marcus declines the opportunity and resorts to his shopworn box of rolled eyes and smug self-righteousness instead.

My gosh, critics missing something, and rolling stone critics to boot! :shock: I would like to give them a boot with my fute on their root! 8)

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:15 pm

ian wrote:My gosh, critics missing something, and rolling stone critics to boot! :shock: I would like to give them a boot with my fute on their root! 8)

Why? You don't read any critical analyses of Elvis Presley in Rolling Stone, or anywhere else.

Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:24 pm

A Golden Celebration could have been substantially better had Deary stuck with her original plan to include a 1976 soundboard.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:51 am

midnightx wrote:A Golden Celebration could have been substantially better had Deary stuck with her original plan to include a 1976 soundboard.

Gregg Geller was crazy easing her out of the producer role.

Fri Jun 22, 2012 11:20 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
midnightx wrote:A Golden Celebration could have been substantially better had Deary stuck with her original plan to include a 1976 soundboard.

Gregg Geller was crazy easing her out of the producer role.

Hello Doc, check your e-mail, please :-) THANKS!!