The Penultimate Memphis Press Conference --> 1961

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:23 pm

Just before his incredible 1961 Memphis benefit shows, Elvis met the local press.

It would be Presley's last Memphis press conference for almost ten years, but he sure had fun doing it. Below is a very good transcription from a very poor audio recording that remains from this afternoon chat.

You may read about the stunning performances here:

February 1961 Charity Shows -> Mysterious!
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=37048

---

Elvis Presley
Afternoon Press Conference
Hotel Claridge, Memphis, TN
Saturday, February 25, 1961

Listen --> Here!

(Elvis jokes) I guess you wonder why I called you here...

This is a recording session if you want to ask questions.

Okay, shoot!

Elvis?

Yes sir.

I'll kick it off and apologize to you for the first question, but everybody wants to know, how's your love life?

Well, it's, uh, it hasn't progressed any. It's about like it was, nothing serious. I'll let you know if anything comes up, couldn't hide it anyway (laughs).

Do you think your career may make you wind up being a bachelor at 70?

It's hard to say really, I wouldn't think so. It's just that, uh, it's just, I'm not ready for marriage yet, that's all. And until I am, I'm not gonna attempt it. But, uh, it wouldn't be because of a career. It's just that I just, I'm not ready for it and I haven't found anybody that I care that much about, really.

Elvis, your personal taste in music, has it changed from rock 'n' roll to what we call a little more commercial, better music? Do you think your personal taste is changing?

(Laughs) Uh, no, I haven't changed. I've always liked all kinds of music. I mean, I don't just like rock 'n' roll, I appreciate all types of music, really, but I have to do what I can do best, you know. So, uh, I do the rock 'n' roll.

Elvis, what could you tell us about the mysterious death of your cousin who died in bed?

Nobody knows.

No?

Are you planning on going back to Hollywood soon?

Well, I got another picture starting on about the 25th of March.

What type of picture is it?

It's a kind of a drama. It's called, uh, "Blue Hawaii," and that's all I know about it right now.

What is your favorite record, what you think you've done best?

I think that my favorite record, of the ones I recorded, is "Now or Never." It's sold more than anything else, uh, next to "Don't Be Cruel." "Don't Be Cruel" is still, uh, my biggest seller to date.

Do you know many have sold of "Now or Never"?

It's sold, "Now or Never" went, a little over 4 million, I think.

How many has "Don't Be Cruel" sold?

Around 6 million. (pause) Next? (laughs)

I understand that you've sold 75 million records. Has this set some sort of a record for the record business?

I wouldn't know, I wouldn't know really, uh, I think that includes everything, all the albums, all the, everything combined.

Is that all for RCA Victor?

Right, all for Victor. But I don't know anything about it setting any kind of record.

What type role do you enjoy playing, would you like to play some more dramatic roles? What type do you enjoy?

Well, I would like to play a dramatic role, but I don't, uh, I'm not ready for that either, really. I haven't had enough experience in acting and again, until I'm ready for it, it would be, it would be foolish to undertake something very dramatic.

What about your musicals, like "Loving You"? That was one of my favorites.

Well probably so, honey. Actually, it's up to the studio, mostly. But you can rest assured that there'll be music in almost all of them. There has to be.

When will "Wild in the Country" be released?

May or June, I think.

Elvis, have you filled out your income tax?

Uh, I think my accountant has, Mr. Fisher. He takes care of that.

Have your eating habits changed since you went into the Army ...

No ma'am, I ...

... since you came back, are you eating starches and fatty foods as you did before?

I still eat pretty much the same thing. Kinda got used to it, it's hard to change over now.

What record are you planning on releasing next?

I haven't made it yet, I haven't recorded yet, I couldn't tell you.

How come they haven't released the soundtrack to "Flaming Star" on EP or a single?

I don't know, I think they felt that it wasn't quite commercial enough to release (laughs). I don't know really, it's left up to RCA Victor.

Elvis, are you going to move to Hollywood eventually or are you going to stay here?

No sir, I'll stay here. (applause) I've got a house leased out there, but it's just, it'd be back and forth really. But I'll always keep my home here, as long as I can.

Elvis, uh, are there any new enthusiasms? The last time we talked, you told me you were very excited about karate.

I still practice quite a bit.

Any other?

No sir, nothing new has come along, nothing. I don't have much time, really.

You think that your own personal pleasures have changed at all in the last few years, are you still skating and doing that sort of thing as much, or are you slowing down a little bit on that type of thing?

Well, we still skate a little, break boards (laughs).

610225_Press Conference_Memphis.jpg

How about ice-skating, have you ever tried ice-skating?

No ma'am, I never tried ice-skating. But I still do, still do pretty much the same thing. I don't do it as much, because since I've been out of the Army I haven't had much time, you know, I've been pretty busy. Been going from picture to picture.

You been to the place on the lake that your father has, you planning to spend any time there?

Well, I'd like to, uh, we're thinking about either building a little cabin out there or getting a house trailer. One of the two. I'm not sure which one yet.

Which one of your movies do you think you did the best job of acting in?

"King Creole," I think.

What?

"King Creole."

Elvis, why aren't you on TV more?

Well, because of the movie contracts that I have, uh, I'm pretty well tied up in movies right now and, uh, too much television kinda hurts movies a little bit.

Do you like personal appearances, movies, or TV best?

Well, I like personal appearances best, although I don't know about today, because I haven't been on stage in a little over three years and I've almost forgotten a lot of the words to the songs I used to do.

Have you ...

And I haven't had much of a chance to rehearse with the band.

You go from here out to Hawaii in March to do the picture and also a benefit of some sort?

Right, we're doing a benefit for the battleship Arizona.

You haven't been on stage in three years, are you a little bit nervous?

Yes sir, I don't mind admitting I am. But when I did the Frank Sinatra show in Florida, I wasn't nervous, I was petrified! I was scared stiff. (laughter)

When you released your first record, did you think you would have such a successful career as you've had?

No, I don't think anybody did, did we, Mr. Phillips? (laughs) I don't think so. Nobody had any idea, really.

Did the Frank Sinatra, get back to that, did those people on Frank Sinatra Productions, did they give you an ample opportunity to perform that evening?

Oh yeah, sure, but the moving and the shaking I did on that show wasn't from music, it was from being scared. But they gave me plenty of time, you know, yes sir, it was very nice.

You don't think you needed more than six minutes in an hour show?

Well, it would have been all right with me if I had just walked out and walked off. (pause) Is there anything else I can't answer?

What about your cheeseburgers?

I don't eat many cheeseburgers any more.

Elvis do you smoke yet, regular or menthol?

No.

Don't smoke?

I smoke a cigar every once in a while.

How about, do you drink?

No. (pause) No. That is, when the Colonel gives me a cigar, and it's very unusual.

How long will you be in Memphis?

We'll be leaving sometime around the 18th of March, Mr. Johnson, as far as I know.

How many gold records have you received in all?

I've got, uh, 34, 34 gold records.

You've got, does it make you happy that you've got more gold records than anybody else?

Yeah, it makes me and the government very happy. (laughs)

Elvis, since I've been following your career since its inception, I wondered do you have in your mind some enthusiasm for a particular type of song, or kind of music that you haven't yet recorded, that you have a lot of enthusiasm and ambition to do?

Well, uh ...

Is there something special in your mind that you want to do yet, with everything you've done?

Well, it definitely is, but I don't like to press my luck too far, I don't like to, uh, I don't like to take chances, you know. As long as I'm doing okay now I don't want to, I mean why change it, you know, until I got reason to change it? If what I'm doing now, if nobody, it doesn't go over any more, then I'll have to change and do something. But, uh ...

Are you hard to please, in making the selection of your wardrobe?

Uh, not especially, uh, not especially because I don't know that much about clothes. It doesn't make any difference really.

Now Elvis, you have become a little bit more conservative.

Well, you get a little older, you know? (laughter) That's like the sideburns, they were okay for a while, but you outgrow 'em.

Miss 'em?

The sideburns? Not especially, no. The army took care of those.

What about (inaudible)?

If I answered that, I'd lose a lot of fans. (laughter)

How about the rumor about Nancy Sharp?

Need an answer right away? (laughter) No, I don't know, it was just one of those deals, you know, I just dated her for a few times. It's kind of funny, you go out with a girl and, uh, a couple of times and it's a "big romance," you know. They had me married a couple of times. I was down on, uh, I was down on Wilshire Boulevard one night and I was in the lobby of a theater, some people said, "I thought you were in Mexico City on your honeymoon." And come to find out there was, in a Mexican paper, that I was eloped and was coming there to get married. And they even had a hotel suite reserved and all that stuff. And I didn't even know the girl I was supposed to be married to. Things like that happen.

Elvis, most show people have superstitions, do you have any particular superstitions?

Well, I'm pretty superstitious about certain, are you talking about black cats and things like that?

I was just wondering if you had any particular ones, beliefs.

No, just little things, like breaking mirrors, and, uh, photographers. (laughter) Who said that? That's your line!

Elvis, do you still consider Anita Wood "just a friend"?

Well, yeah. I mean, uh, I see her quite a bit, but it's nothing really, really serious. I see a lot of people quite a bit. (pause) The photographers are taking pictures of each other now. (laughter)

Elvis, do you do much thinking ahead ...

Quite a bit ...

... or do you let things take their course? What do you see as your place in the entertainment world ten years from now?

Well, uh, I'll tell you Mr. Johnson, I wouldn't say, because the entertainment world is so unpredictable and people change and times change, it would be hard to say really. I wouldn't try to answer that, because, the only thing I can say is that, uh, I'm trying to make it in acting, you know? And it takes a long time, a lot of work, a lot of experience, but I'm trying to make it that way, and if I can get established that way, I'm okay. But I don't know how long the music, the music end of it will last, I don't know how long I'll last, I've got no idea, really.

Well, you only have two personal appearances, concerts planned. Do you plan to go barnstorming again in the future?

Well, the Colonel could probably answer that better than I, there's nothing planned right now, I know that eventually we've got to do a European tour, to all these countries like, that presented these awards and things, you know, but I don't know exactly, are we going to be doing any ...

Tom Parker: We're waiting for offers.

He said that. I didn't say that.

What's your weight now, Elvis?

What were you when you came out of the army?

175, when I came out. I've gained about 5 pounds.

Elvis, you lead such a hectic life, I imagine. Do you ever wish you could just take your money and get away from it all?

The devil won't let me take my money. No, I enjoy it, uh, anytime I want to be alone, I can be, you know.

Well I know it must be pretty hectic.

But these are the type things that you take advantage of while they last. You know, you take advantage of it because you might not have it later, and you'll miss it, you know, you miss the people, you miss all the razzle-dazzle and so forth, but I have a pretty good time. And so forth.

Always feel like home when you get back to Memphis?

Yes sir, it does. (laughs) It sure does. That's one of the reasons that I keep a home here because, I mean, I like California, I like to work there. When a picture's over it's, I look forward to getting out of there and coming back home. And also I'm right near Tupelo and I know a lot of people down there, the same old crowd that I was raised up with still live there in the same houses. I was down there about three weeks ago and the wind had blown the sign down, they got, where that youth center is being built, they got a big sign up, and the wind had blown it down and we tried to put it back up and it fell on us. There was three of us trying to lift it back up and the sign fell on us.

When do you anticipate the youth center being built?

I couldn't tell you, it's going to take a lot of money. But it will be, eventually, I couldn't say when.

We know, uh, the population at Graceland is increasing.

(laughs) Well, we got a couple of little mules.

How about the dog?

He's still there.

Is that the bassett hound that you appeared on TV with?

No, uh, that was Frank Sinatra's dog. He's givin' me answers. No.

How many cars you got, Elvis?

I have four. Two of 'em are, uh, two of 'em are new, two of 'em are, one of 'em, the pink car was the one that uh, my mother liked, you know, above all, so that's why I kept it and another one,

Is that a Cadillac?

Yes sir, it's the first one I ever owned.

Elvis, do you still like sports cars?

No sir, not especially. I had one in Germany and they can get you in a lot of trouble, especially if you're in the army. (pause) You run out of tape?

How many songs you going to sing this afternoon?

I believe around twenty, yes. I just do the, uh, biggest ones, you know, the older ones, if I can remember the words to 'em. (laughs)

What's been your greatest thrill in show business, Elvis?

Well, it's hard to say, uh, I've had quite a few things happen, but I can't name any one instance that, uh, stands out really. I guess, I would imagine, when I got the first gold record, because that's something I never thought would ever happen.

What was it?

"Heartbreak Hotel," yes.

(Photographers invited to come up for photos, press conference ends)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The Penultimate Memphis Press Conference --> 1961

Sun Jun 05, 2011 2:59 pm

Elvis, your personal taste in music, has it changed from rock 'n' roll to what we call a little more commercial, better music? Do you think your personal taste is changing?

`Better' music???
Cheeky reporter.
Elvis handled it nicely though.
Interesting to read, thanks for posting.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 3:38 pm

Nice post Doc!
First I've read of this press conference.
This one and like all others , the reporters never ask questions about Elvis' mother. Wonder were they told beforehand by Parker not to?

Never heard about this cousin? Does anyone know now what happen?

Elvis, what could you tell us about the mysterious death of your cousin who died in bed?
Nobody knows.

This didn't last long did it?
Well, you get a little older, you know? (laughter) That's like the sideburns, they were okay for a while, but you outgrow 'em.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:01 pm

from a Billy Smith interview...............................Junior Smith was Gene's older brother and his real name was Carroll. He's in a lot of those Alfred Wertheimer photos from Elvis’ trip to New York. He was sullen and disturbed because of what had happened to him when he was in the army in Korea. I remember him as a fun-loving guy and he hung around a lot with Elvis until Elvis went into the army. Junior looked like the actor Jack Elam. He had his expressions and he even had a bad eye like Elam. Elam always looked like he was about to do something really painful to you. So did Junior! Junior was at my house in my bed when he died. That was in 1960.

courtesy of EIN

Last edited by kevinstevenage on Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Thanks for that. Interesting stuff.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:09 pm

Doc, Awesome post! Thanks!! ::rocks

Before the Press Conference, Elvis with a group of Fan Club Presidents.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:38 pm

promiseland wrote: This didn't last long did it?
Yeah, I thought the same thing! Also, I found it interesting that he said he wasn't ready for marriage and didn't have anyone serious. That makes me think that Priscilla was pushed on him and he had to marry her instead of wanting to do it. Also, I'm surprised that Col. Parker even said that they were waiting for offers from venues in Europe. I think he was put on the spot and just thought of something to say in order to please people.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 7:40 pm

Great post Doc, thanks.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:09 pm

These press conferences are a historical documenation.

It would be nice to get the shows on CD as well.

So, when Ersnt gets around to releasing the 61 Hawaii show, it would be a good idea to include the

pre-show press conference as well.

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:03 pm

You been to the place on the lake that your father has, you planning to spend any time there?

Well, I'd like to, uh, we're thinking about either building a little cabin out there or getting a house trailer. One of the two. I'm not sure which one yet.

What place on the Lake did his Father have? I know Elvis used to go Boating on Mckeller Lake in Memphis,didn't know Vernon had a place ot there?

Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:59 pm

kevinstevenage wrote:from a Billy Smith interview...............................Junior Smith was Gene's older brother and his real name was Carroll. He's in a lot of those Alfred Wertheimer photos from Elvis’ trip to New York. He was sullen and disturbed because of what had happened to him when he was in the army in Korea. I remember him as a fun-loving guy and he hung around a lot with Elvis until Elvis went into the army. Junior looked like the actor Jack Elam. He had his expressions and he even had a bad eye like Elam. Elam always looked like he was about to do something really painful to you. So did Junior! Junior was at my house in my bed when he died. That was in 1960.

courtesy of EIN

Thanks kevinstevenage
I remember seeing Junior in some of Elvis' early recording sessions from '56 .
What was his cause of death he seemed pretty young . doc? anyone?

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:26 am

Thanks Doc.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 12:31 am

Billy Smith says in RMM that Junior either had a Cerebal hemorrage or an alcoholic siezure.Billy found him dead in his bed, after a night drinking with Billy's father,Travis.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 am

That was a great read - thanks Doc.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 9:32 am

Elvisfan10 wrote:
Yeah, I thought the same thing! Also, I found it interesting that he said he wasn't ready for marriage and didn't have anyone serious. That makes me think that Priscilla was pushed on him and he had to marry her instead of wanting to do it. from .

He was never going to admit that he had the hots for an underage school girl with the Jerry Lee Lewis saga fresh in mind.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:07 pm

KiwiAlan wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:
Yeah, I thought the same thing! Also, I found it interesting that he said he wasn't ready for marriage and didn't have anyone serious. That makes me think that Priscilla was pushed on him and he had to marry her instead of wanting to do it. from .

He was never going to admit that he had the hots for an underage school girl with the Jerry Lee Lewis saga fresh in mind.
Didn't he say that it wasn't his place to judge what Jerry Lee did? Besides there were pictures and video of them together, people weren't stupid. He also didn't want to get married anytime soon and with his career flourishing I doubt he would've considered it, he was too focused on music and movies. He was also busy playing the field wherever he went. That doesn't sound like a man who is committed to someone he would soon marry. And Priscilla never looked happy and when she did, it looked fake.
Last edited by Elvisfan10 on Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jun 06, 2011 11:11 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:

Didn't he say that it wasn't his place to judge what Jerry Lee did? Besides, there were pictures and video of them together, people weren't stupid.

You miss the point Elvisfan10.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:08 am

KiwiAlan wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:

Wait a second, in the March 7/1960 press conference from Graceland, he acknowledges Priscilla, though he doesn't mention her by name.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:38 am

Interesting tangents.

One of the things that is striking about this press conference is where it falls in the Elvis timeline.

On February 25, 1961, Elvis had:

- released 30 singles in 7 years (Sun [5] and RCA [25])
- released 12 LPs in 5 years
- debuted 6 films in 5 years
- made 13 national TV appearances
- performed concerts between July 1954 and November 1957
- had sold approximately 75 million records

All of his films to date were decent or better:

Excellent
Jailhouse Rock
King Creole

Very Good
Loving You
Flaming Star

Decent
Love Me Tender
G.I. Blues

The shows he would give in Memphis that day and Honolulu in March would be a stunning overview of his entire career, delivered with all the fire of the 50s, coupled with the maturity of his return from the army.

In other words, he was sitting on top of the world.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:38 pm

The devil won't let me take my money

Whoa! Out of context, that line sounds profoundly strange.

Tue Jun 07, 2011 8:06 pm

Revelator wrote:
The devil won't let me take my money

Whoa! Out of context, that line sounds profoundly strange.

I noticed that right off.

But it is inaccurate.

It should say, "The government won't let me take my money...."

Now it should make sense. It was a joke on taxes.

But, some say, the government is the devil, so perhaps its closer than we think, but Elvis does not say

"devil".

Wed Jun 08, 2011 5:35 am

Joe Car wrote:
KiwiAlan wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:

Wait a second, in the March 7/1960 press conference from Graceland, he acknowledges Priscilla, though he doesn't mention her by name.
That conversation went on for a bit because he said that he had to watch what he said and he talked about her being really young. But you're right, he did talk about her for a bit without mentioning her name. I think the media knew who he was talking about though. Although, he did say that there wasn't any big romance going on, that he was still single and looking. He has said the same thing every time he was asked about a girlfriend. Priscilla was even aware of his "other life", which I do find it hard to believe that he was exclusive to her the entire time. There are a lot of guys who tell a girl that he's with her and only her, but that's not always the case and vice versa. People always said that he was seriously broken up, but was he really broken hearted or was he hurt because his ego was bruised and his image tarnished? There is a big difference between the two. How could someone who was truly heart broken constantly be with a different girl or numerous girls at one time while with the person they were married to? The same goes for Priscilla, she wasn't exactly the spokeswoman for faithfulness, so how could she possibly be heart broken. She kind of rubbed salt on the wound every time she attended an Elvis concert.

Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:06 am

Great post DJC. Someone wrote once that Elvis was the master of the celebrity interview. This demonstrates it in spades. His humour, personality and charisma shine through and he says enough to keep everyone engaged without really giving anything away.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:19 am

Elvisfan10 wrote:Wait a second, in the March 7/1960 press conference from Graceland, he acknowledges Priscilla, though he doesn't mention her by name. That conversation went on for a bit because he said that he had to watch what he said and he talked about her being really young. But you're right, he did talk about her for a bit without mentioning her name. I think the media knew who he was talking about though.

Everyone knew who she was, including her name -- LIFE had run a huge photo in that week's issue, and Elvis quotes from it in his reply.

LIFE - March 14, 1960

LIFE - March 14, 1960

Elvisfan10 wrote:She kind of rubbed salt on the wound every time she attended an Elvis concert.

Nope. Post-divorce, every evening Priscilla attended at was at Elvis' invitation. Speaking of salt, she was often at shows where Presley also invited and introduced his current girlfriend.

Delboy wrote:Great post DJC. Someone wrote once that Elvis was the master of the celebrity interview. This demonstrates it in spades. His humour, personality and charisma shine through and he says enough to keep everyone engaged without really giving anything away.

That's a great way to sum up this press conference.

Fri Jun 10, 2011 6:54 am

Elvis was the "master of the celebrity interview," without a doubt!