The OTHER "Hound Dog" on Sunday, September 9 !

Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:21 am

Did you know the same night in 1956 Elvis let it rip with "Hound Dog" on CBS-TV in his Ed Sullivan debut ...

... another Memphis singer did the exact same thing on ABC-TV?

phpBB [video]

The Rock 'n' Roll Trio, "Hound Dog" (Ted Mack's Amateur Hour, ABC-TV, Sunday, September 9, 1956)
Paul Burlison (guitar), Johnny Burnette (vocals, guitar), Dorsey Burnette (bass).
Broadcast live from Madison Square Garden, New York, NY.

Interesting choice of "Hound Dog." They play it in the key of E, while Elvis' RCA single and live performances are the key of C. I'm not the biggest fan of Johnny's vocals, but Paul's guitar playing is untutored but interesting. It's also incredibly high in the mono mix -- yeah!!

Who doesn't love Burlison's reply to Ted Mack about working with Elvis at Crown Electric, "He was a good truck driver, but always had his hair real long, and always needed a haircut ..."

This wonderful appearance was privately restored by LiveFeed Video Imaging, who officially did the same for Elvis Presley: The Ed Sullivan Shows (Image Entertainment, November 2006), an essential, triple DVD box set.

See a segment of the restored Rock 'n' Roll Trio performance here:
http://blip.tv/philofarnsworth/johnny-burnette-the-rock-n-roll-trio-wmv-version-80194

Oh, for some more vintage rock 'n' roll restorations on DVD by this great company!

Apparently, there was a snafu towards the end of the broadcast.

560910_Memphis Press-Scimitar_RRTrio.JPG

Memphis Press-Scimitar, Monday, September 10, 1956
The Trio is noted as having won the talent contest three times.
They already completed an LP for Coral Records, who would release it in October.
The LP includes some amazing, albeit uncredited, lead guitar by later Presley session man, Grady Martin.

Bonus Photo:

570000_Paul Burlison Johnny Burnette Gene Vincent Johnny Black.jpg

Paul Burlison, Johnny Burnette, Gene Vincent, Johnny Black - Mid-1957
Perhaps taken on tour, note Gene's flipping of the bird.
Johnny Black, Bill's brother, had replaced departed bass player Dorsey Burnette.

The Trio made some great, great records:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Burnette#The_Rock_and_Roll_Trio
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: The OTHER "Hound Dog" on Sunday, September 9 !

Wed Nov 16, 2011 5:19 am

Great post. The Trio rocked, no doubt about it.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:52 am

Very informative post, Doc,especially in the context of when this performance took place.

So, by this time, Elvis had performed the song on Milton Berle in June, and Steve Allen's show
in July, The very same night that Johnny Dorsey performed his version, Elvis was singing it on
Ed Sullivan's show, guest hosted by Charles Laughton.

Without this post, I wouldn't have thought of Elvis' Memphis pals trying to get into the game
with the same song, same night as Elvis. Of course, Johnny and Dorsey did eventually
achieve their own success in the business.

Johnny's version comes up very raw, full of youthful enthusiasm, if not polish.
The song cries out for DJ's frantic drum roll, it sounds kind of thin on Ted Mack's show.
You just don't appreciate Scotty's work on Hound Dog until you hear Paul Burlison's efforts.
Much like Johnny's vocals, Paul's guitar playing just sounds raw and unpolished, which I
guess defines early Rock n' Roll.

Fascinating to see how different two versions of the song sound on the same night in Sep. of 1956.
For me, it solidifies how incredibly gifted Elvis truly was in '56 .... looks, charisma, talent, no one else
really challenged him on every level.

phpBB [video]

A few years later, Johnny had polished up the act.

phpBB [video]

On a side note, cool to see Bobby Vinton conducting the band.
Dick Clark used to hire him to write the arrangements and lead the band for some of his
rock and roll tours.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:30 am

TCB TED wrote:Very informative post, Doc,especially in the context of when this performance took place.

So, by this time, Elvis had performed the song on Milton Berle in June, and Steve Allen's show
in July, The very same night that Johnny Dorsey performed his version, Elvis was singing it on

Without this post, I wouldn't have thought of Elvis' Memphis pals trying to get into the game
with the same song, same night as Elvis. Of course, Johnny and Dorsey did eventually

The song cries out for DJ's frantic drum roll, it sounds kind of thin on Ted Mack's show.
You just don't appreciate Scotty's work on Hound Dog until you hear Paul Burlison's efforts.
Much like Johnny's vocals, Paul's guitar playing just sounds raw and unpolished, which I

Fascinating to see how different two versions of the song sound on the same night in Sep. of 1956.
For me, it solidifies how incredibly gifted Elvis truly was in '56 .... looks, charisma, talent, no one else

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Dick Clark used to hire him to write the arrangements and lead the band for some of his
rock and roll tours.

Wow!! The things one learns every day. I'd seen this ridicuous performance at least three times, usually after reading articles in which Johnny Burnette or his fans, claim Burnette did "Baby let's play house" before Elvis (LOL), in the Memphis clubs, of all places, and that Elvis must have gotten the entry from him. As proof, they have circulated a live performance of the song. Too bad it is from 1956. So, everytime I heard these claims, I would have a great time looking and hearing at such a horrible performance but never, never never realizing it was done on the same day as (and talk about coincidences), what I STILL consider Elvis' best performance of that song on the Ed Sullivan show. I know the one on October is longer, as it should be, but no one can beat the short intro of September 9 (AS THE GREAT PHILOSOPHER ONCE SAID, BANG!!), nor the real fun one seen in Elvis' face during the second and last verse. Regrettably for Burnette (or I would rather say, thankfully....), the Ted Mack Amateur telecast that night was seen by about 2 percent of the viewing audience, the other network (NBC) getting the difference, which when considering what the CBS network gor out of the Sullivan show that night (an 82.6 share , or 62 million watching), meant the NBC movie got a 14 share, their own worst ever, as was the case with Mack's telecast that night.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 12:09 pm

I actully did know this ! the footage of the trio was released for the first time in the uk in 2007 on the (Shattered Dreams [DVD-Video] and what a release this is, a must for any rockabilly fan.very cool thread.

(quote from amazon uk)
Capturing a moment of rock 'n' roll history, Johnny Burnette & The Rock 'n' Roll Trio's appearance at Madison Square Garden for the final of Ted Mack's "Amateur Hour" has not been seen since it was aired in September 1956 (the same night that Elvis debuted on the Ed Sullivan Show on a rival channel). For the very first time in over 50 years, El Toro Records brings you this performance along with the rest of the show.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 16, 2011 2:45 pm

Nice work Doc. Very interesting stuff.

Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:28 pm

TCB TED wrote:Very informative post, Doc,especially in the context of when this performance took place.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

rock and roll tours.

You make some wonderful points. Like the Beatles 8 years later, Elvis was far ahead of everyone else in rock 'n' roll.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:46 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:Wow!! The things one learns every day. I'd seen this ridiculous performance at least three times, usually after reading articles in which Johnny Burnette or his fans, claim Burnette did "Baby let's play house" before Elvis (LOL), in the Memphis clubs, of all places, and that Elvis must have gotten the entry from him. As proof, they have circulated a live performance of the song. Too bad it is from 1956. So, every time I heard these claims, I would have a great time looking and hearing at such a horrible performance but never, never never realizing it was done on the same day as (and talk about coincidences), what I STILL consider Elvis' best performance of that song on the Ed Sullivan show. I know the one on October is longer, as it should be, but no one can beat the short intro of September 9 (AS THE GREAT PHILOSOPHER ONCE SAID, BANG!!), nor the real fun one seen in Elvis' face during the second and last verse. Regrettably for Burnette (or I would rather say, thankfully....), the Ted Mack Amateur telecast that night was seen by about 2 percent of the viewing audience, the other network (NBC) getting the difference, which when considering what the CBS network got out of the Sullivan show that night (an 82.6 share , or 62 million watching), meant the NBC movie got a 14 share, their own worst ever, as was the case with Mack's telecast that night.

Thanks. One nice thing about the October 1956 Sullivan "Hound Dog" is Scotty Moore's guitar is high in the mix.

The Rock 'n' Roll Trio did make some great recordings, this one perhaps the most memorable:

Billboard Oct 13 1956 p42.JPG

Billboard - October 13, 1956

5610113_Train Kept A-Rollin' Coral 61719.jpg

phpBB [video]

Johnny Burnette Trio, "The Train Kept A - Rollin'" (Coral 61719, October 13, 1956)
Recorded: Monday, July 2, 1956, Bradley's Barn, Nashville, TN
Johnny Burnette (vocals / guitar), Dorsey Burnette (bass), Paul Burlison (guitar)
Grady Martin (lead guitar), Buddy Harman (drums)
Producer : Henry Jerome

Note the recording date -- Elvis waxed "Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" the same day at RCA New York!

Another parallel.

Fri Nov 18, 2011 11:53 pm

Hi doc, I just sent you e-mail,please check this, thanks. Cannot send you PM. O.

Sat Nov 19, 2011 12:04 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Jaime1234 wrote:Wow!! The things one learns every day. I'd seen this ridiculous performance at least three times, usually after reading articles in which Johnny Burnette or his fans, claim Burnette did "Baby let's play house" before Elvis (LOL), in the Memphis clubs, of all places, and that Elvis must have gotten the entry from him. As proof, they have circulated a live performance of the song. Too bad it is from 1956. So, every time I heard these claims, I would have a great time looking and hearing at such a horrible performance but never, never never realizing it was done on the same day as (and talk about coincidences), what I STILL consider Elvis' best performance of that song on the Ed Sullivan show. I know the one on October is longer, as it should be, but no one can beat the short intro of September 9 (AS THE GREAT PHILOSOPHER ONCE SAID, BANG!!), nor the real fun one seen in Elvis' face during the second and last verse. Regrettably for Burnette (or I would rather say, thankfully....), the Ted Mack Amateur telecast that night was seen by about 2 percent of the viewing audience, the other network (NBC) getting the difference, which when considering what the CBS network got out of the Sullivan show that night (an 82.6 share , or 62 million watching), meant the NBC movie got a 14 share, their own worst ever, as was the case with Mack's telecast that night.

Thanks. One nice thing about the October 1956 Sullivan "Hound Dog" is Scotty Moore's guitar is high in the mix.

The Rock 'n' Roll Trio did make some great recordings, this one perhaps the most memorable:

Billboard Oct 13 1956 p42.JPG

Billboard - October 13, 1956

5610113_Train Kept A-Rollin' Coral 61719.jpg

phpBB [video]

Johnny Burnette Trio, "The Train Kept A - Rollin'" (Coral 61719, October 13, 1956)
Recorded: Monday, July 2, 1956, Bradley's Barn, Nashville, TN
Johnny Burnette (vocals / guitar), Dorsey Burnette (bass), Paul Burlison (guitar)
Grady Martin (lead guitar), Buddy Harman (drums)
Producer : Henry Jerome

Note the recording date -- Elvis waxed "Hound Dog" and "Don't Be Cruel" the same day at RCA New York!

Another parallel.

Unbelievable!! On the same day, different city. Wonder how many takes did he (Burnette)do? Please don't tell that it was also 28! Anyways, Burnette's best renditions, IMHO, came in the early sixties when he wasn't shouting any more, and came up with his very own vocal sound. You recognize this guy inmediately, by that time, he'd found his voice.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:36 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Did you know the same night in 1956 Elvis let it rip with "Hound Dog" on CBS-TV in his Ed Sullivan debut ...

phpBB [video]

The Rock 'n' Roll Trio, "Hound Dog" (Ted Mack's Amateur Hour, ABC-TV, Sunday, September 9, 1956)
Paul Burlison (guitar), Johnny Burnette (vocals, guitar), Dorsey Burnette (bass).

Interesting choice of "Hound Dog." They play it in the key of E, while Elvis' RCA single and live performances are the key of C. I'm not the biggest fan of Johnny's vocals, but Paul's guitar playing is untutored but interesting. It's also incredibly high in the mono mix -- yeah!!

Who doesn't love Burlison's reply to Ted Mack about working with Elvis at Crown Electric, "He was a good truck driver, but always had his hair real long, and always needed a haircut ..."

This wonderful appearance was privately restored by LiveFeed Video Imaging, who officially did the same for Elvis Presley: The Ed Sullivan Shows (Image Entertainment, November 2006), an essential, triple DVD box set.

http://blip.tv/philofarnsworth/johnny-burnette-the-rock-n-roll-trio-wmv-version-80194

Oh, for some more vintage rock 'n' roll restorations on DVD by this great company!

They already completed an LP for Coral Records, who would release it in October.
The LP includes some amazing, albeit uncredited, lead guitar by later Presley session man, Grady Martin.

Bonus Photo:

Johnny Black, Bill's brother, had replaced departed bass player Dorsey Burnette.

I nearly fainted when i first saw this footage of the Rock'n'Roll Trio performing "Hound Dog"...it's amazing!!! Notice he does his little Elvis impersonation with his voice?....I would imagine most of the American teenagers, were tuned into the "Sullivan Show" that night...which would have killed it for Johnny and the boys. He apparently, also did "Trutti Frutti"...don't know if it was on this show or another show, as he did appear on "Ted Macks Amateur Hour" 3 times, if i'm correct.

I have The Trio recordings on Bear Family CD...best played loud! I know a guy whos just sold a mint copy of the original british 10" LP on Vogue Coral "The Rock'n'Roll Trio" and got £800 for it. I held it in my hands and had a good look at it, WOW! It's a very rare Album. Released in 1957

Wed Jan 23, 2013 6:12 pm

Forget about "The Great Train Robbery", the biggest crime of the century is when the Trio stuff didn't sell the first time round!!

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:14 pm

Additional tidbit of info ~

Coincidentally, Johnny Burnette died at age 30 on August 14, 1964 (boating accident)... exactly 6 years to the day after the death of Gladys Presley.
Johnny's brother, Dorsey Burnette, died at age 46... the same age Gladys Presley was at the time of her passing.
Dorsey passed away in 1979... the same year that Vernon Presley died.

In 1997, Paul Burlison cut his first ever solo LP Train Kept A-Rollin'.
Paul died (2003) in Horn Lake, Mississippi... the same town that my mother has lived in since 1997. She's now 80, and yes,
she has a train track running directly behind her house.

It's a small world.

phpBB [video]

Last edited by Blue River on Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:38 pm

Blue River wrote:Additional tidbit of info ~

Coincidentally, Johnny Burnette died at age 30 on August 14, 1964 (boating accident)... exactly 6 years to the day after the death of Gladys Presley.
Johnny's brother, Dorsey Burnette, died at age 46... the same age Gladys Presley was at the time of her passing.

Burlison died (2003) in Horn Lake, Mississippi... the same town that my mother has lived in since 1997. She's now 80, and yes,

It's a small world.

phpBB [video]

Thats a cool coincidence thou blue river ::rocks

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:28 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:I nearly fainted when i first saw this footage of the Rock'n'Roll Trio performing "Hound Dog"...it's amazing!!! Notice he does his little Elvis impersonation with his voice?....I would imagine most of the American teenagers, were tuned into the "Sullivan Show" that night...which would have killed it for Johnny and the boys. He apparently, also did "Trutti Frutti"...don't know if it was on this show or another show, as he did appear on "Ted Macks Amateur Hour" 3 times, if i'm correct.

I have The Trio recordings on Bear Family CD...best played loud! I know a guy whos just sold a mint copy of the original british 10" LP on Vogue Coral "The Rock'n'Roll Trio" and got £800 for it. I held it in my hands and had a good look at it, WOW! It's a very rare Album. Released in 1957

The Ted Mack performance is just so ... raw. One can imagine anyone over 30 switching the channel instantly. They apparently did just one number that evening.

The cover design of the 1957 EP you speak of is really nice.

570100_Vogue Coral LVC 10041.JPG
Johnny Burnette and the Rock 'n' Roll Trio (Vogue Coral LVC 10041, January 1957)

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:35 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
Blue River wrote:Additional tidbit of info ~

Paul died (2003) in Horn Lake, Mississippi... the same town that my mother has lived in since 1997. She's now 80, and yes,

It's a small world.

phpBB [video]

Thats a cool coincidence thou blue river ::rocks

Yes! :D

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:38 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Forget about "The Great Train Robbery", the biggest crime of the century is when the Trio stuff didn't sell the first time round!!

Well, maybe. Some of their singles were pretty raw, and their album tracks were not all gems.

Also, Johnny Burnette's lead vocals were so unpolished that they often hampered rather than helped.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 10:54 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:Forget about "The Great Train Robbery", the biggest crime of the century is when the Trio stuff didn't sell the first time round!!

Well, maybe. Some of their singles were pretty raw, and their album tracks were not all gems.

Also, Johnny Burnette's lead vocals were so unpolished that they often hampered rather than helped.

Yes, his vocals on the Trio stuff is very raw and frantic...too raw for the general public at large and i can understand why the public wouldn't dig this sort of stuff. In the genre of "Rockabilly Music" the trio stuff really does stand out, for me... Alongside, C. Perkins, Charlie Feathers, Mac Curtis, just to name three.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:29 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Yes, his vocals on the Trio stuff is very raw and frantic...too raw for the general public at large and i can understand why the public wouldn't dig this sort of stuff. In the genre of "Rockabilly Music" the trio stuff really does stand out, for me... Alongside, C. Perkins, Charlie Feathers, Mac Curtis, just to name three.

Dedicated fans might even be forced to admit that some of his Trio vocals are ... not very good. ;-)

Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:07 pm

The Beatles did "lonesome tears in my eyes",which you can hear on the double CD "live at the BBC". Just before they play the song John mentions the LP he had in1875. So he must've had that 10" LP you posted, drjohncarpenter. How cool is that.

Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:04 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Did you know the same night in 1956 Elvis let it rip with "Hound Dog" on CBS-TV in his Ed Sullivan debut ...

phpBB [video]

Bonus Photo:

That was really cool, 8) and Paul Burlison talking about Elvis at the beginning was unexpected and great stuff!!!!! 8)

Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:02 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:The Beatles did "lonesome tears in my eyes",which you can hear on the double CD "live at the BBC". Just before they play the song John mentions the LP he had in1875. So he must've had that 10" LP you posted, drjohncarpenter. How cool is that.

WAY cool. And John took that song and in essence remade it as the 1969 #1 Beatles hit, "The Ballad of John and Yoko."

Mon Jan 28, 2013 12:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:The Beatles did "lonesome tears in my eyes",which you can hear on the double CD "live at the BBC". Just before they play the song John mentions the LP he had in1875. So he must've had that 10" LP you posted, drjohncarpenter. How cool is that.

WAY cool. And John took that song and in essence remade it as the 1969 #1 Beatles hit, "The Ballad of John and Yoko."

And of course, many years later while Paul McCartney was recording classic American rock'n'roll songs for his LP "Run Devil Run", he returned to "Honey Hush". In the booklet that accompanies the CD,Paul says he has this memory of his days in Hamburg, being woken up by the sound of "Honey Hush" blasting out of the record player. Happy memories for him.

Tue Jan 29, 2013 12:15 am

Gotta love Macca!