Re: Happy 39th -> December 3, 1968 - The Little Theater

Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:50 pm

TJ wrote:For me the 6pm sit down show is far more enjoyable to watch in full than the Special itself. As much as I like Elvis' performances in the stand up shows, the backing is so poor at times that I end up getting irritated. There is none of that in the sit down shows. It's just Elvis and friends jamming and that stripped down approach works far better. The cumulative effect of the songs is very powerful when watching the sit down gigs in full (particularly 6pm), and that is also lost when cut up for the Special.

I think One Night is the most powerful performance. Can't get enough of that :-)

But the stand-up shows have their very different charms, such as that he's finally standing up, he's prowling the stage like a tiger like he was meant to, he's in the audience's face, etc.I even like the production numbers for the most part. The whole original special works very well, of course.

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:I really don't care that MTV execs might not remember much before '85 ...

But that's the point!

Well, my point is that in spite of their ignorance of things before the '68 Special and /or "One Night With You," they might have even missed Elvis entirely.

Someone could come in and say "Let's have this "Unplugged" show. "let's have Bon Jovi sit down, and do an old fashioned jam session."

Exec: "What do mean exactly?"

Other suit: "you know, a really-intimate and natural and raw. No electronic keyboards, etc.....Little or No drums, more stipped down, etc.

And they would have said: "hey, that's a great twist.. I think I've seen that sort of thing before..."

I guess that is plausible that the proposal could be made without even mentioning Elvis.

But I'm glad to believe that Elvis' 68 sit-down shows did enter the conversation! I agree that it's something that we pretty safely can proclaim in other settings, even though I have my personal doubts on how much it entered into it, given the degree to which people will marginalize Elvis, even after they've just seen a riveting performance. LTB has often mentioned how people will watch "TTWII" and then turn around and say "this is when he was fat, right?" Sadly, this kind of bias I can see even affecting a bunch of '60s rock generation MTV execs in the '80s.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:37 pm

Greybeard -- thank you for the adverts and reviews!

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:Sadly, this kind of bias I can see even affecting a bunch of '60s rock generation MTV execs in the '80s.

If you look at the management team involved in the creation of MTV - Unplugged, such as the afore-mentioned Alex Coletti, you will learn that they were not "a bunch of '60s rock generation MTV execs."

TJ wrote:As much as I like Elvis' performances in the stand up shows, the backing is so poor at times that I end up getting irritated. There is none of that in the sit down shows. It's just Elvis and friends jamming ... The cumulative effect of the songs is very powerful ... One Night is the most powerful performance. Can't get enough of that :-)

Indeed. As BMG producer Ernst Jorgensen says in the Sirius interview found via the link on the previous page, it's really just one man and his guitar, and how many other artists could create such an incredible noise? What a challenge!

Although some of the 8PM show is a bit shambolic, it was chosen for release as a stand-alone disc -- Tiger Man (BMG, 1998) -- because Elvis' singing is even better than what was offered at the 6 PM show. Together, these performances are perhaps the single greatest moments in the history of rock and roll.

Not too shabby, as my dad used to say.

Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:59 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Although some of the 8PM show is a bit shambolic, it was chosen for release as a stand-alone disc -- Tiger Man (BMG, 1998) -- because Elvis' singing is even better than what was offered at the 6 PM show.
Together, these performances are perhaps the single greatest moments in the history of rock and roll.

Not too shabby, as my dad used to say.

On a technical note, for the 8pm show, they put some little mats down for each performer on the stage, in an attempt to lessen the 'foot-shuffly' sound caught on tape for the 6pm show.

This was only partly successful..........................

Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:42 am

ColinB wrote:On a technical note, for the 8pm show, they put some little mats down for each performer on the stage, in an attempt to lessen the 'foot-shuffly' sound caught on tape for the 6pm show.

This was only partly successful..........................

It sounds pretty good to me!

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:Although some of the 8PM show is a bit shambolic, it was chosen for release as a stand-alone disc -- Tiger Man (BMG, 1998) -- because Elvis' singing is even better than what was offered at the 6 PM show. Together, these performances are perhaps the single greatest moments in the history of rock and roll.

Absolutely. I have often played the 8PM show to casual fans of Elvis - all of which are totally and completely blown away at the brilliance, raw power, passion and energy of the performance. The sit-down performances are definitely two of the greatest moments in rock and roll history.

Mon Dec 17, 2007 7:30 pm

Promocollector wrote:"Trying to get to you" is thee single, greatest vocal performance, i have ever heard. "Lawdy miss clawdy" is a very close second!!

Absolutely SUBLIME!!!

Let's not forget One Night.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 1:06 am

Today is December 3, 2013.

45 years ago ... something special happened.

Wed Dec 04, 2013 8:00 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:In a career that knew many peaks, this was the pinnacle.

And it will last as long as people have ears, eyes, hearts and souls.

Watching it again tonight, I view it as in many ways the perfect distilation (sp?) of his artistry.

For all the regrets ( he'd have less than ten years to live!) to have this recorded in all its posterity (now on DVD)
makes me grateful that for ages to come, this show will remain a revelation, a true "This is / was Elvis" moment.

Wed Jan 29, 2014 7:35 am

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:In a career that knew many peaks, this was the pinnacle.

And it will last as long as people have ears, eyes, hearts and souls.

Watching it again tonight, I view it as in many ways the perfect distilation (sp?) of his artistry.

For all the regrets ( he'd have less than ten years to live!) to have this recorded in all its posterity (now on DVD)
makes me grateful that for ages to come, this show will remain a revelation, a true "This is / was Elvis" moment.

Agree!

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:07 pm

I just wanted to thank you for this interesting article John. Anything from the 68 Comeback is very much appreciated. :smt006

Fri Nov 21, 2014 10:58 pm

LoverBoy wrote:I just wanted to thank you for this interesting article John. Anything from the 68 Comeback is very much appreciated. :smt006

Thanks. I hope to post something more in the future from this fertile period.