Re: Elvis' January 1954 Sun acetate -- secrets revealed

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
mysterytrainrideson wrote:It turns out, according to Ger Rijff himself, that the receipt printed in his book "The Rock'n'Roll Years-My Wish Came True" turns out to be a fake.

Never read this -- where does Rijff state it is a forgery?

mysterytrainrideson wrote:What happened to the first acetate? Does Ed Leek still have it? I say this because at the time Ed first discovered it in his house, RCA said they weren't interested in buying the disc, but only interested in making a tape copy of it.

Elvis' Humes High friend, Ed Leek, the pal who encouraged Presley to make that July 1953 visit to 706 Union for the private recording -- and fronted him the money -- passed away in June 2010. The original disc, which Elvis left at Ed's home in 1954, was licensed for release by RCA back in the late 1980s, and some cassette dubs slipped out elsewhere. Years later Leek made it known he wanted to sell the original 12" acetate, as he wanted to use the money for his retirement years. Where it ended up after that is unclear.

Doc, Ger Rijff mentioned it on the "Too Much Monkey Business" forum. What i should have said is, he thought "it might be a forgery". That's all he said.

Re: Elvis' January 1954 Sun acetate -- secrets revealed

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 pm

mysterytrainrideson wrote:Doc, Ger Rijff mentioned it on the "Too Much Monkey Business" forum. What i should have said is, he thought "it might be a forgery". That's all he said.

Thanks. Until we know more, I'm not editing my original post.