Elvis' January 1954 Sun acetate -- secrets revealed

Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:17 am

If you have the GREAT new Ger Rijff book "The Rock and Roll Years, Volume One" a secret or two is revealed.

On the sixth page is the receipt for Elvis' January 1954 Sun acetate. Presley apparently cut the tracks on Monday, 04 January and picked up the acetate on Wednesday, 06 January.

It is very similar to the 09 June 1954 receipt discussed a few months ago, which supports the latter's authenticity:

http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s540605.htm

Perhaps, after FIFTY years, 2004 will provide us with a place to hear the two songs Elvis cut for Sam Phillips on Saturday, June 5, 1954.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 7:34 am

Wouldn't that be a great find!! It would be fantastic to hear a new Sun recording.
Thanks for the info.

jeff R

Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:30 am

Few audio items can compare to hearing a 19 year-old Elvis Presley singing his heart out in Sun Studios -- except, of course, another soundboard from the summer of 1976.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:49 am

Hey Doc!

Any thoughts on posting a review of this book?

Wed Jun 18, 2003 12:35 pm

Yeah, another soundboard from 1976 would be great too in my point of view. I don´t like to discriminate any periode in Elvis´ career! :)

Sincerely MB280E

Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:32 pm

Finding the receipt [however genuine it is] isn't the same as finding the actual acetate !

Or do some people know more than they are saying ??!

I think we should be told.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 3:51 pm

There were rumours about BMG locating the missing acetate before the track list to the “Close Up” set was announced. Of course that doesn’t meant that there was any truth in these rumours at all, but 2004 will mark the 50th anniversary of Elvis’ recording of “That’s All Right Mama”, and I think it’s highly likely that BMG will mark this event with a comprehensive Sun compilation. As one or two new performances would be an obvious selling point for such a compilation, perhaps there is a possibility that BMG have located the acetate, and will include it on such a release. Just speculation/guesswork on my part here.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:43 pm

Your speculation/guesswork holds more credibility with me than most people's proof!
Thanks rockinrebel.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 4:46 pm

Rockinrebel -

Thanks.

My money is on 'Casual Love Affair' with a previously unknown title on the flip.

Can't really see any of the [rumoured] early 'Sun' songs like 'Rag Mop', 'Give Me More More More (of your kisses)', 'Blue Guitar', 'Juanita', 'That's The Stuff You Gotta Watch', 'Oakie Boogie', 'Tennessee Saturday Night' or 'Without You' turning up on a privately purchased acetate.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 6:43 pm

Hi Colin,

I would agree with your assessment on this. “Casual Love Affair” plus one other seems the most likely outcome. Personally, I’m hoping BMG issue their most comprehensive Sun set to date next year. Taking in all the masters, plus all available alternates and acetates, along with live recordings from the period, and the “Million Dollar Quartet” recordings. It would make sense for all these historic recordings to be made available in one collection.

Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:25 pm

rockinrebel -

Yeah, the ultimate 'Sun' compilation.

Remastered with audio that even 'Steve Sholes' would be happy with !

All the known alternates - plus the acetates & the Million Dollar Quartet session.

I don't think the Hayride stuff fits on a 'Sun' compilation myself.

Don't mind the 'Fool, Fool, Fool/Shake Rattle & Roll' being included.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:23 am

ColinB wrote:My money is on 'Casual Love Affair' with a previously unknown title on the flip.

Colin, you're half right.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 2:11 am

The peerless Master & Session Web site has now posted both Sun acetate receipts. Presley shelled out at least $16.50, a large sum for a teenager in 1954. Perhaps he wanted to be noticed ...

January 4, 1954 visit:

June 5, 1954 visit:

Note that super collector Sean O'Neal confirmed in an interview that "Casual Love Affair" does indeed exist. Let's hope it finds a home on BMG, along with the flip side.

Are there more Sun acetates? Perhaps. Although no receipt may exist -- Sam Phillips would've paid for any rehearsal acetates he made specifically with Elvis.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 3:32 am

if bmg does a new sun set in 2004 fool,fool,fol and shake,ratle and roll need to be released at the correct speed of the acetate.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:09 am

catman wrote:if bmg does a new sun set in 2004 fool,fool,fol and shake,ratle and roll need to be released at the correct speed of the acetate.

Read and learn!

BMG did issue them at "the correct speed of the acetate" on both Sunrise (1999) and the 50s box (1992). Unfortunately, no one noticed the acetate runs too fast.

"Fool, Fool, Fool"  Jan'55 demo acetate
= runs too fast in key of B flat, should be key of A like both sides of first Sun 45
= basic chord progression is A - D - E

"Shake, Rattle and Roll"  Jan'55 demo acetate
= runs too fast in key of F, should be key of E like Feb'56 RCA cut, 1956 TV versions
= basic chord progression is E - A - B7

Other pitch problems on Sunrise:

"Money Honey" 22 Jan'55
= runs slightly fast, should be key of E like Jan'56 RCA cut, 1956 TV versions
= basic chord progression is E - A - B7

"Tweedlee Dee"  22 Jan'55
= runs slightly fast, should be key of A like both sides of first Sun 45
= basic chord progression is A - E - D

"Hearts of Stone"  15 Jan'55
= runs slightly fast, should be key of G
= basic chord progression is G - D - A

God bless!

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:25 am

This is a very interesting topic, thanks Dr. Carpenter

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:34 am

Thanks!

Elvis made great music. Some people here lose sight of that. Not me!

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:37 am

Yes he did make great music, from 1954 to 1977. :D

8)

Thu Jun 19, 2003 11:48 am

1953 to 1977.

Thu Jun 19, 2003 12:35 pm

I stand corrected. :wink:

8)

Thu Jun 19, 2003 1:52 pm

ColinB wrote:
My money is on 'Casual Love Affair' with a previously unknown title on the flip.

Colin, you're half right.

Thanks Doc.

Err...............which half ?

4 cuts or 2?

Thu Jun 19, 2003 6:32 pm

Noticed on the receipts posted by the good Doctor that there are 2 master numbers on each. Would this indicate 2 cuts on each or one? I thought that these acetates were only one-sided. Why the take numbers?

Thu Jun 19, 2003 8:02 pm

rsh -

All the 'Memphis Recording Service' acetates by Elvis that have surfaced so far [two of them] have been double-sided.

By the look of the receipt, so is the third one.

Fri Jun 20, 2003 9:36 am

elvis-fan wrote:Hey Doc!

Any thoughts on posting a review of this book?

My gosh, imagine the uproar if I did.

Thu Jul 17, 2003 8:57 pm

In light of the apparent "new song cut between 1954 and 1977" statement from Ernst, I thought I'd bump this back up. We'll know in about a year whether this is the prize.

God bless!