Off Topic Messages

Suicidal Man Jumps From Empire State Building, Survives

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:42 am

A man was on the observation deck on the 86th floor, late Wednesday, when he apparently jumped rather than fell. He did not fall far, just one floor down to the 85th.

The New York Post reports "Nathaniel Simone, 33, climbed over a security fence on the observation deck on the 86th floor about 11:30 a.m. and jumped — but only fell to the 85th floor, sources said".

Simone, who was a tourist in New York, suffered a broken ankle for which he received hospital treatment at Bellvue. Police have since charged him with reckless endangerment, trespassing and disorderly conduct.

Simone is from Hamilton, Massachusettes

phpBB [video]

Last edited by TCB-FAN on Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:51 am, edited 2 times in total.

Re: Crazy Man Jumps From Empire State Building, Survives

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:42 am

Apparently, he attended too many ETA shows. :facep: :lol:

Re: Suicidal Man Jumps From Empire State Building, Survives

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:07 pm

Could he be an FECC member?
Last edited by ian on Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:35 pm

is there a particular reason why somebody was filming a total stranger, who also happened to have a film camera strapped to his head?

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:14 pm

The Pirate wrote:is there a particular reason why somebody was filming a total stranger, who also happened to have a film camera strapped to his head?

It does seem odd.

Almost as if the video doesn't match the news story !

Potential suicides don't wear camera helmets, & they aren't usually filmed.

And this guy seems to have been stopped from falling................... strange !

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:19 pm

it looks more like he is a base jumper and his attempt to jump off the building is being stopped by the man holding him back, The head mounted camera and what looks a lot like a parachute strapped to his back point to this rather than a suicide attempt.

Alan.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:09 pm

Chad Gates wrote:it looks more like he is a base jumper and his attempt to jump off the building is being stopped by the man holding him back, The head mounted camera and what looks a lot like a parachute strapped to his back point to this rather than a suicide attempt.

Alan.

I totally agree. The video doesn't even show him falling. In that regard, I think the thread title should be changed to something like, "Base Jumper Gets Arrested For Jump @ Empire State Building" but I noticed that CNN had already also latched onto the story as a possible suicide jumper....... :roll:

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:01 pm

Tony Trout wrote:
Chad Gates wrote:it looks more like he is a base jumper and his attempt to jump off the building is being stopped by the man holding him back, The head mounted camera and what looks a lot like a parachute strapped to his back point to this rather than a suicide attempt.

Alan.

I totally agree. The video doesn't even show him falling. In that regard, I think the thread title should be changed to something like, "Base Jumper Gets Arrested For Jump @ Empire State Building" but I noticed that CNN had already also latched onto the story as a possible suicide jumper....... :roll:

Don't get any ideas Tony. Jumping is a very bad idea.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:11 pm

The video is from a different incident. Why the two pieces have been connected, I have no idea.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:45 pm

elvissessions wrote:The video is from a different incident. Why the two pieces have been connected, I have no idea.

The video posted is in fact Nathaniel Simone attempting to jump from the ESB. It is not from a different incident. Here's another link that confirms this....

http://lawandmore.typepad.com/law_and_m ... nario.html

Sun Apr 28, 2013 9:54 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
elvissessions wrote:The video is from a different incident. Why the two pieces have been connected, I have no idea.
The video posted is in fact Nathaniel Simone attempting to jump from the ESB. It is not from a different incident.
Considering the video was uploaded on the official Associated Press feed in 2008 and the original video includes a time stamp of 2006, there are two options:

1. Besides carrying the camera, the person who shot the video also brought a time machine along.

2. You are mistaken.

I'm going to go with option 2, as I know that the video is, in fact, of stuntman Jeb Corliss.
In April 2006, Jeb Corliss attempted to BASE jump off the observation deck of the Empire State Building, while wearing a camera, but was restrained by building security and arrested by the NYPD. As a result, Corliss received three years probation and 100 hours community service, which was at one point overturned by a Manhattan state judge on the basis that Corliss "was experienced and careful enough to jump off a building without endangering his own life or anyone else’s". This sentence was affirmed in January 2009. Corliss was later permanently banned from the Empire State Building.
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 11:02 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:

The video posted is in fact Nathaniel Simone attempting to jump from the ESB. It is not from a different incident. Here's another link that confirms this....

http://lawandmore.typepad.com/law_and_m ... nario.html

He tried to jump from the E Street Band .....come on he was never in it :D