Off Topic Messages

World Snooker

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:28 am

It's probably fair to say that if you do not live in one of about a dozen countries, the sport of snooker is a mystery. Despite being a fan (of watching, not playing), I'm rather amazed that it still has the following that it has. Sure, it's not as popular as was twenty years ago, but the viewing figures must be reasonably high for the BBC to continue their extensive coverage - and they added an extra tournament to their coverage this season.

I travelled up to Sheffield this week to see a couple of the matches of the World Championships, and have to say it's really quite surprising how much of a buzz there is there surrounding the event. I was both lucky and unlucky with the matches. I bought tickets blind back in December and so to see Ali Carter and Mark Selby through sheer luck was very nice indeed - sadly both matches were rather one-sided. I'm not quite sure about the effort to make it have the atmosphere of a boxing match when the players enter. MC Rob Walker was very keen on telling us prior to the live broadcasts that the fake enthusiasm (my words, not his) was good for the sport. I think it just comes over as fake and idiotic.

But still, this year's event is raising eyebrows, not least because a number of bookies favourites have been knocked out in the first round, and also because the Sheffield Crucible hasn't seen anything quite like the slightly-mad-but-entertaining Dechawat Poomjaeng before. If he progresses further than the 2nd round (which seems unlikely going by tonight's play) then it will be interesting whether people will tune in in greater numbers, as he is sure to start creating headlines.

Re: World Snooker

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:02 am

Snooker is a tad less boring then darts on TV.

The channels are have great problems in filling schedules

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:02 am

We used to have it on tv all the time when I was with my ex-Husband, it was his 'thing'.......avoid it like the plaque now, got too much overdosing of it at the time.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:28 am

I don't understand snooker. But here in the Philippines, pool is very popular and we have probably the greatest player in the world in Efren Reyes.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:09 am

I love watching snooker (probably too much!) and I too watched it last year in Sheffield, watching Matthew Stevens Vs Barry Hawkins. I thought the atmosphere in the venue was great although the match itself wasn't the greatest. This year I have tickets for the semi-final afternoon session on May 4th. Hopefully I'll be watching either O'sullivan, Selby, Trump or Ding but the way this tournament is progressing, their is no real certainties in the draw. I thought Mark Allen would win it this year but he got knocked out the first round!

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:11 am

It's the most bi polar sport going. You have the Steve Davis and Stephen Hendry's vs the Ronnie O'Sullivan's and Alex Higgings'. I can't name another one. :wink:

Fri Apr 26, 2013 11:30 am

As a kid, living near Sheffield, I was a huge fan - mainly of the theatrics of it all!

Back then the players were a real assortment of "characters". You had, as you say, Steve Davis - dead serious and focused - almost monotone. Alex "Hurricane" Higgins - short tempered, nervous, fast. You had super cool, slick and very rapid Kirk Stevens in his white waistcoat and pant combinations and flowing long hair.

There was my favourite, Dracula-haired Welshman Ray Reardon with his relaxing style and oft-made comedy remarks and communication with his audience. Very opposing to the almost annoying slowness of Terry Griffiths.

There was Jimmy White, the Whirlwind, who could clear the table in no time flat. He was always terrific - nearly always a finalist - never seemed to win.

Joh Virgo with his trick shots and impersonations of his fellow players. Denis Taylor with his specially designed upside down spectacles....

Great days! I attended many matches at The Crucible.

Nowadays its just a sport. No real characters to speak of which is a real shame.

Why even back then I had favourite referees, such as the large stout Irish eagle-eyes Len Ganley - always loved it when he was at the helm of a match! And the commentators - the late Whispering Ted Lowe being the best ever.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:11 pm

Tomorrow, something to Google.

I never heard of it! LOL!

I would be lost outside of the States. Lost!!

I learn a lot here, though.

rjm

Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:As a kid, living near Sheffield, I was a huge fan - mainly of the theatrics of it all!

Back then the players were a real assortment of "characters". You had, as you say, Steve Davis - dead serious and focused - almost monotone. Alex "Hurricane" Higgins - short tempered, nervous, fast. You had super cool, slick and very rapid Kirk Stevens in his white waistcoat and pant combinations and flowing long hair.

There was my favourite, Dracula-haired Welshman Ray Reardon with his relaxing style and oft-made comedy remarks and communication with his audience. Very opposing to the almost annoying slowness of Terry Griffiths.

There was Jimmy White, the Whirlwind, who could clear the table in no time flat. He was always terrific - nearly always a finalist - never seemed to win.

Joh Virgo with his trick shots and impersonations of his fellow players. Denis Taylor with his specially designed upside down spectacles....

Great days! I attended many matches at The Crucible.

Nowadays its just a sport. No real characters to speak of which is a real shame.

Why even back then I had favourite referees, such as the large stout Irish eagle-eyes Len Ganley - always loved it when he was at the helm of a match! And the commentators - the late Whispering Ted Lowe being the best ever.

I think the problem is that back then we also had all tournaments on TV, now we get only two or three and so have no idea who or what many of the people are who are playing. It's the same problem with tennis in many ways. You don't get to know the participants well enough.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 3:23 pm

Swingin-Little-Guitar-Man wrote:

This is so true, one of a number of reasons why I am put off the sport despite watching it all the time in the 80s.

Watching the players now, it just feels so...corporate...bland...no individual styles...put the top 20 players in a line and you would be hard pressed to see the differences in them...then do the same for the top 20 in the 1980s...thats the difference

and then there are the commentators...woeful, depressing,repetitive and unenthusiastic commentary doesnt inspire me to watch again...John Virgo is the worst

Too much money in the game now

Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:51 pm

memphisto wrote:

This is so true, one of a number of reasons why I am put off the sport despite watching it all the time in the 80s.

Watching the players now, it just feels so...corporate...bland...no individual styles...put the top 20 players in a line and you would be hard pressed to see the differences in them...then do the same for the top 20 in the 1980s...thats the difference

and then there are the commentators...woeful, depressing,repetitive and unenthusiastic commentary doesnt inspire me to watch again...John Virgo is the worst

I'm not sure that's true. It seems to me that a number of the players are unhappy about Barry Hearn's influence but seem to scared to say anything about it, with the exception of Mark Allen (his intro music of "It's Oh So Quiet" was a nice dig at his gagging order!). Selby sadly has lost much of his sense of fun this year, he really doesn't deserve his "jester" nickname of late. But I do get the impression that the world of snooker is perhaps not a happy one at this moment in time. While I personally didn't shed tears over O'Sullivan's absence this year, his withdrawal was clearly not good for the game. Likewise, names such as Hendry continue to draw in crowds, but the fact they seemingly HAVE to play in certain tournaments means that players are retiring earlier.

Many players seem to have adopted the "careful" approach to the game during the last couple of seasons, and this is indeed a shame - Carter being an obvious example. It can pay dividends for the players, but not for the audience. Meanwhile, as I write this, Judd Trump is showing off his snazzy shoes, joking with the audience, and whacking balls with his cue like there's no tomorrow.

Fri Apr 26, 2013 6:39 pm

poormadpeter wrote:whacking balls with his cue like there's no tomorrow.

And some say snooker's boring! :wink:

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:57 am

poormadpeter wrote:
memphisto wrote:

I'm not sure that's true. It seems to me that a number of the players are unhappy about Barry Hearn's influence but seem to scared to say anything about it, with the exception of Mark Allen (his intro music of "It's Oh So Quiet" was a nice dig at his gagging order!). Selby sadly has lost much of his sense of fun this year, he really doesn't deserve his "jester" nickname of late. But I do get the impression that the world of snooker is perhaps not a happy one at this moment in time. While I personally didn't shed tears over O'Sullivan's absence this year, his withdrawal was clearly not good for the game. Likewise, names such as Hendry continue to draw in crowds, but the fact they seemingly HAVE to play in certain tournaments means that players are retiring earlier.

Many players seem to have adopted the "careful" approach to the game during the last couple of seasons, and this is indeed a shame - Carter being an obvious example. It can pay dividends for the players, but not for the audience. Meanwhile, as I write this, Judd Trump is showing off his snazzy shoes, joking with the audience, and whacking balls with his cue like there's no tomorrow.

I must admit I was intrigued by the snazzy shoes comment so I watched a couple of frames...for once I found myself not being bored...more players like that and viewers will return.

You know, most of the professionals have been playing for many years and they shouldnt have to spend minutes considering one shot, at least Trump knows what people like

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:34 am

memphisto wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
memphisto wrote:

I must admit I was intrigued by the snazzy shoes comment so I watched a couple of frames...for once I found myself not being bored...more players like that and viewers will return.

You know, most of the professionals have been playing for many years and they shouldnt have to spend minutes considering one shot, at least Trump knows what people like

He sure was on fire this afternoon. His mate Jack Lisowski plays in a similar way.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 10:40 am

It's pool.

Maybe there are some different rules, but it's pool! What do you know about that?

rjm

Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:18 pm

rjm wrote:It's pool.

Maybe there are some different rules, but it's pool! What do you know about that?

rjm

It's quite different to pool, RJM, due to the way it's played. Pool is a knock-em-in game, whereas snooker is much more of a tactical game due to the amount of safety play etc.

Sat Apr 27, 2013 4:41 pm

I like Snooker. My uncle use to be very good at it, and I learned a lot from him. But I haven't played it for some time. Snooker is for cool people! I don't find it boring at all!

By the way The Rocket is gonna win again! 8)

Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:37 am

ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:I like Snooker. My uncle use to be very good at it, and I learned a lot from him. But I haven't played it for some time. Snooker is for cool people! I don't find it boring at all!

I really hope not - it would be really nice to see someone else win. It's never good for someone to dominate a sporting event as O'Sullivan does when he decides to play. He's certainly going to have a run for his money if he bumps into Trump if he keeps playing as he did tonight - although a match between those two probably won't last long at their speed!

Sun Apr 28, 2013 4:10 am

Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davis in the final in 1985 is one of the greatest moments in British sport.Davis being the huge favourite betting wise and Taylor being the complete underdog that everyone wanted to win but knew it couldn't really happen.It went on forever (in a good way) and finished with that famous black ball by Taylor to win with the biggest ever after midnight TV audience that still stands.18.5 million Brits slept in for work work the next day.Classic sporting moment.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:13 am

Dennis Taylor's glasses are worthy of a shout out in this thread. :)

Sun Apr 28, 2013 12:26 pm

norrie wrote:Dennis Taylor beating Steve Davis in the final in 1985 is one of the greatest moments in British sport.Davis being the huge favourite betting wise and Taylor being the complete underdog that everyone wanted to win but knew it couldn't really happen.It went on forever (in a good way) and finished with that famous black ball by Taylor to win with the biggest ever after midnight TV audience that still stands.18.5 million Brits slept in for work work the next day.Classic sporting moment.

remember that one.....glued to the tv, a great match

my ex used to play snooker with another 'under-dog' .....Joe Johnson

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:50 pm

My money is on Ronnie to win his 5th World Title.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 1:59 pm

Anyone bar the self-pitying attention-seeking O'Sullivan for the title.

Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:54 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Anyone bar the self-pitying attention-seeking O'Sullivan for the title.

How many times are you gonna try and provoke me into a fight? :roll:

It's quite obvious this latest attempt is to try and get to me.

It's very childish and quite boring now.

Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:32 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
ElvisLive3August1969 wrote:I like Snooker. My uncle use to be very good at it, and I learned a lot from him. But I haven't played it for some time. Snooker is for cool people! I don't find it boring at all!

I really hope not - it would be really nice to see someone else win. It's never good for someone to dominate a sporting event as O'Sullivan does when he decides to play. He's certainly going to have a run for his money if he bumps into Trump if he keeps playing as he did tonight - although a match between those two probably won't last long at their speed!

The faster the better! Ronnie O'Sullivan makes Snooker more interesting and exciting! Have you seen his hair style?? I think he's an Elvis fan too :)