Off Topic Messages

Re: ANZAC Day

Thu Apr 25, 2013 4:30 am

Thanks Carolynlm. I so enjoyed reading David Koche's comment on his blog this morning re: ANZAC DAY. To me this is really Australia Day.

One of the many things I love about being an Aussie, is the deep national pride we have for our country. And this is never as strong as on ANZAC day. On no other day will regular people voluntarily rise in the darkness to sit out in the cold and watch the sunrise to the sound of a bugle playing. But that haunting sound, and the spine shivers it brings is a feeling like nothing else.

It’s a day we can all come together, regardless of differences, and honour those who came before us who defended our country, and those still doing that job today.

Whether you’re young or old, have served (or have family serving) or not, we all have something to be thankful for on this day, so get out and be a part of it. Go to a service, watch or march in the parade, even just sit down with an older person and ask about what war-times were like, there are so many ways to get involved.

Here’s one of my favourite ANZAC day poems to inspire you. Lest we forget.

Sir

Sir - would it help if I shed a tear I swear it’s the first time since this time last year My spine is a tingle - my throat is all dry As I stand to attention for all those who died

I watch the flag dancing half way down the pole That damn bugle player sends chills to my soul I feel the pride and the sorrow - there’s nothing the same As standing to attention on ANZAC Day

So Sir - on behalf of the young and the free Will you take a message when you finally do leave To your mates that are lying from Tobruk to the Somme The legend of your bravery will always live on

I’ve welcomed Olympians back to our shore I’ve cheered baggy green caps and watched Wallabies score But when I watch you marching (Sir) in that parade I know these are the memories that never will fade

So Sir - on behalf of the young and the free Will you take a message when you finally do leave It’s the least we can do (Sir) to repay the debt We’ll always remember you - Lest We Forget

Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:16 am

Notice that both our dear leaders were not in Turkey this year.

They are keeping their powder dry for the 100th in 2015

that.s if they survive the next elections

Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:47 pm

A small service was held here in South Shields also.

http://www.itv.com/news/tyne-tees/2013- ... y-service/

Sun May 05, 2013 7:42 am

Just for the record, the topic was not started by me. It was by Carolynlm who has unfairly been deleted.

Sun May 05, 2013 11:56 am

Robt wrote:Just for the record, the topic was not started by me. It was by Carolynlm who has unfairly been deleted.

Daft, I call it...

Sun May 05, 2013 12:42 pm

Johnno. Reinstate Carolyn who has been a longtime contributer and well respected member at FECC.